Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon

Dylanrockin

Game Release Date  

394 members have voted

1. 1. When would you like to see my game released?

• In a month?
    • In two months?
    • In three months?
    • Who cares, I just want to play a well-made game!
  2. 2. Who is your favorite character?

3. 3. Would you like Save Points to be the only method of saving?

• Yes
    • No
    • It makes sense, given the very "different nature" of your game, so yes.

So if they are linked, wouldn't the pokemon collapse as well if the trainer did? Their stamina etc is linked so..technically.. Either I'm missing something obvious or linked isn't the proper word for the verdant transformation

Not quite, but it's a good question ;) since the Verdant Soul would immediately disconnect the bond between the two, the moment the trainer collapsed; since the Verdant Soul is part of the Trainer, and not the Pokemon. That said; hits taken or no, with the increase in stamina, it would take a really powerful Pokemon to actually cause that kind of damage to the point that the Trainer would collapse from the shared pain.

Edited by Dylanrockin

• Developers

I have always only played with Battle Style Set so Mania mode is the thing for me. The range of 5 - 15 seems a bit too large though so I'd keep that 5 - 10. Trainers with each pokemon raised by only 5 levels would be easy, but trainers with each poke raised by 15 would be pretty much impossible to defeat. Instead I'd suggest inability to use potions, revives, restores etc. (battle items should be ok though, they are useless anyway) - That's how I've always played the main games and even Reborn to raise the difficulity. In Reborn Battle Style Set + inability to use items proved to be very challenging and very satisfying.

Are you planning to only release the full game when it's finished or are you going to make chapter-like releases similar to Reborn?

Adding custom OHKO moves seems bad because it will only further empower pokemon with high speed stat (because they will use it to kill anything they would be otherwise weak against) while making slow pokemon pretty much useless. Please keep balance in mind when adding anything custom.

Edited by baldr

I have always only played with Battle Style Set so Mania mode is the thing for me. The range of 5 - 15 seems a bit too large though so I'd keep that 5 - 10. Trainers with each pokemon raised by only 5 levels would be easy, but trainers with each poke raised by 15 would be pretty much impossible to defeat. Instead I'd suggest inability to use potions, revives, restores etc. (battle items should be ok though, they are useless anyway) - That's how I've always played the main games and even Reborn to raise the difficulity. In Reborn Battle Style Set + inability to use items proved to be very challenging and very satisfying.

Are you planning to only release the full game when it's finished or are you going to make chapter-like releases similar to Reborn?

Adding custom OHKO moves seems bad because it will only further empower pokemon with high speed stat while making slow pokemon pretty much useless. Please keep balance in mind when adding anything custom.

Well again, the calculation for the increase in level is determined by one of two factors: the average Pokemon in their team, as well as their average levels. So, again, if they have a team of Pokemon that average at about 50-60, then the increase in level will be much greater than say if their team average was 5-10, 20-30, and so on. I'm making the difficulty geared towards how I view it necessary. Taking away items, and making my game uber hard is not the view that I had in mind. Mania is meant to be hard, but not making it a total uber hard inconvenience. And if you don't want to use items, then don't use items, simple enough. If it's anything involving items, which... you will need to use, since there are moments in the game that you have to use an item in battle, then I cannot completely disallow items for Mania Mode.

I'm not really an advocate for Episodic releases. It's fine for what Reborn did, but that's not how I am going to approach my game's official release. I'd prefer it if my game was one whole game.

Also, the Verdant Artes are tied to that characters Lead Pokemon, and they are moves that only that Pokemon can learn. I stated this in the post about Verdant Artes. So, the balance there is that: It can only be used by that one Pokemon, with that specific character, with only 1 PP, and that on the highest difficulty no longer have perfect accuracy. So, those moves in question can only be used with that one Pokemon, which is only on that one characters team. Also, you can only get those moves after you defeat a super-boss, so, you don't really have to worry about cheesing opponents, especially since it's only 1 PP that cannot be raised any further.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

Also, for those of you who like Krista, here is her Summer Beach Attire ;D And tbh, this artwork really does bring out a lot of Krista, and I personally like this one a lot! It's funny to imagine that Krista is going to be running around barefoot tho XD

60fc774363c1c72113e57f8a92dc72d7-d9rz16l

• Upvote 1

barefoot is bestfoot. I prefer that way more than something like MArissa with the ugliest kind of socks and sporty shoes :ph34r: (personal preference, but seriously, I hate that kind of socks that reach only to your calf?ithink, with a passion... It's as cringe-worthy to me as sandals+socks :S ) But anyyyway, Krista op. Gibe Vivian. Are you saving the best for last?????????

barefoot is bestfoot. I prefer that way more than something like MArissa with the ugliest kind of socks and sporty shoes :ph34r: (personal preference, but seriously, I hate that kind of socks that reach only to your calf?ithink, with a passion... It's as cringe-worthy to me as sandals+socks :S ) But anyyyway, Krista op. Gibe Vivian. Are you saving the best for last?????????

You really don't like sports, or sporty attire do you XD Vivian is going to be saved for last, yes, since I am trying to make her look as op-sexy-cool as possible ;D Hiro is next, and I am looking forward to that one :D

You really don't like sports, or sporty attire do you XD Vivian is going to be saved for last, yes, since I am trying to make her look as op-sexy-cool as possible ;D Hiro is next, and I am looking forward to that one :D

I actually like (some) sports and sporty attire, but sporty socks are best if they're those that only reach your ankle and are hardly visible above the shoe IMAGE_Puma-Socks_United-Legwear-01_grid_. There are quite a few sporty outfits I like (some of them exist in XY customization even), but that stuff marissa wears makes me cringe . Her whole beach outfit is cool...and then u have those ugly black socks that ruin everything :v rip . Anyway, go make vivian wear spandex shorts under a skirt.. and well if not, at least hiro should have a summer skirt thingy so krista isn't alone

Edited by Masquerain

I actually like (some) sports and sporty attire, but sporty socks are best if they're those that only reach your ankle and are hardly visible above the shoe IMAGE_Puma-Socks_United-Legwear-01_grid_. There are quite a few sporty outfits I like (some of them exist in XY customization even), but that stuff marissa wears makes me cringe . Her whole beach outfit is cool...and then u have those ugly black socks that ruin everything :v rip . Anyway, go make vivian wear spandex shorts under a skirt.. and well if not, at least hiro should have a summer skirt thingy so krista isn't alone

I see XD well, Marissa's excuse is that she is a gymnast after all, so that kind of attire is pretty common. But, hey at least Marissa's boobs have been toned down, and she has a partially sexy-cool design for her beach clothes. Spoilers, but I think I might be putting Vivian in some jean shorts, and possibly one other thing to account for it ;D Hiro is indeed getting a skirt, but she is going to have some additions that are akin to her style ;)

I mean, real talk, Vivian does have da ass, and teh bewbs, so I might as well do something to help... accentuate those features XD I can't believe I just said that, but hey, it's Summer Beach Attire, what can I say? XD

Edited by Dylanrockin

The fanserver in your is speaking out, normal stuff and all :ph34r:

Indeed it is ^^ these characters, for all intents and purposes, are like my children, and I like to give them as much attention as necessary uwu That's a weird way of putting it, but that's kind of how it feels tbh :V

Anywho, here is a lineart for Hiro, who... by the way... is going to be getting a piece of that Vice, just sayin' XD And Hiro looks so different without her pig-tails, but hey, the costumes do bring about unique changes to their appearances, so this is to be expected ;D Even Vivian might be getting her hair down, perhaps; still thinking about it tbh.

commishdylanrockinhirocg02_by_rialynarts

Indeed it is ^^ these characters, for all intents and purposes, are like my children, and I like to give them as much attention as necessary uwu That's a weird way of putting it, but that's kind of how it feels tbh :V

Anywho, here is a lineart for Hiro, who... by the way... is going to be getting a piece of that Vice, just sayin' XD And Hiro looks so different without her pig-tails, but hey, the costumes do bring about unique changes to their appearances, so this is to be expected ;D Even Vivian might be getting her hair down, perhaps; still thinking about it tbh.

commishdylanrockinhirocg02_by_rialynarts

She really does look very different. And i still think you should not outright spoil such details like pairings. Whenever you spoil stuff, always give people a choice whether they'd like to view the spoiler info or not :P

She really does look very different. And i still think you should not outright spoil such details like pairings. Whenever you spoil stuff, always give people a choice whether they'd like to view the spoiler info or not :P

She does, but it's mostly because of the absence of pig-tails XD Also, she doesn't have a cape, or her Keeper of Time attire :P But, then again, I kinda like the way she looks, in her swimsuit. And pfft, I openly said it, in the main thread :P

Edited by Dylanrockin

She does, but it's mostly because of the absence of pig-tails XD Also, she doesn't have a cape, or her Keeper of Time attire :P But, then again, I kinda like the way she looks, in her swimsuit. And pfft, I openly said it, in the main thread :P

and that in itself was an optional spoiler because not too many people read walls of text :ph34r:

and that in itself was an optional spoiler because not too many people read walls of text :ph34r:

tl;dr and all that shiz. But, hey, if you're into like character bio's and shiz, then I can see some people actually reading it. But, when you come to see stuff about my game, long walls of text are to be expected XD I go all out on the tl;dr shtuff uwu #proudofmywallsoftext

Edited by Dylanrockin

A tldr should be something that is not a wall of text but wellp... If you have too much to say, walls happen :P Even if you wrote it there, you should probably still avoid stating it outright in the future, there's always gonna be new people who get interested and may want to keep things not-spoiled

Hiro does look pretty with her hair down and that elegant-ish beach stuff, but if you make all girls let their hair down, they'll look too similar. Maybe give Vivian a different way of having her hair tied up ? maybe like..

yukata-hair.jpeg

A tldr should be something that is not a wall of text but wellp... If you have too much to say, walls happen :P Even if you wrote it there, you should probably still avoid stating it outright in the future, there's always gonna be new people who get interested and may want to keep things not-spoiled

Hiro does look pretty with her hair down and that elegant-ish beach stuff, but if you make all girls let their hair down, they'll look too similar. Maybe give Vivian a different way of having her hair tied up ? maybe like..

yukata-hair.jpeg

Well, what can I say, if it's a Pokemon game that is expected to have plot, I have to make sure the characters have a decent, albeit unfinished, character bio that delves into their personalities XD I am guilty of not updating the main thread's bio, because #lazy, but meh, I have a game to make, not form a wiki on a forum website :P

Well, I wanted to make Hiro look and feel very different, since that is essentially what the costumes are for, after all XD But, I'm gonna have to see how Vivian fairs with that hair-style, since I kinda want her to look like she is at the beach, which most of the time it's either hair up in a pony-tail or hair down, and not like a japanese princess, which she totally is given her heritage, but that seems like something she would have up if she were to wear formal attire :P

• Developers
I'm not really an advocate for Episodic releases. It's fine for what Reborn did, but that's not how I am going to approach my game's official release. I'd prefer it if my game was one whole game.

I understand this point of view. I just thought that with episodic releases you could get a bigger and more active community, bug reports and probably even some people to help you with the project.

Of course this game is going to be great regardless!

By the way should we expect this game in several months or rather in several years? I mean I'd normally expect years but the poll seems to suggest otherwise.

I understand this point of view. I just thought that with episodic releases you could get a bigger and more active community, bug reports and probably even some people to help you with the project.

Of course this game is going to be great regardless!

By the way should we expect this game in several months or rather in several years? I mean I'd normally expect years but the poll seems to suggest otherwise.

Personally, for me, I don't care about having my game being well known, since that isn't what I envision my game going for. But, for the most part, I prefer working alone, and I tend to choose select people to help me, given my introverted and very "lone wolf" nature - as cliche as that may sound.

I work alone on my project, and to the two people that I have at the moment who do sprites and testing, I give them my greatest thanks for helping me out so far. Other than that, I am happy with how my game is, and I don't mind it having a small, cozy community that isn't large, or focused on large amounts of PR to function. Much like Reborn is, it's a nice, warm and cozy community that I bond quite happily with, and isn't PR driven.

But the game will be released when I deem it ready - I am a perfectionist, and I will accept nothing short of perfection from my work; no matter how long it may take. Every micro/nano-frame can be, and will be to my liking.

Edited by Dylanrockin

Can we have an actual explanation of jumping in this game? Yes I'm aware of what a jump is, however, a top down RPG does not usually have platforming aspects to it. This is especially important since some of your characters have jumping specific abilities so it must be an important mechanic in the game; "IT'S JUMPING XD" isn't enough.

Can we have an actual explanation of jumping in this game? Yes I'm aware of what a jump is, however, a top down RPG does not usually have platforming aspects to it. This is especially important since some of your characters have jumping specific abilities so it must be an important mechanic in the game; "IT'S JUMPING XD" isn't enough.

Well, for starters. The jumping mechanics kind of explain themselves in-game, but, how they work is determined on one of two things. Forget whatever it was that I posted in the main thread, I was an idiot and didn't edit it XD

1. You have to play as Marissa, and not anyone else, otherwise the jump will not work.

2. If you see a glowing orb like this near a ledge or otherwise impassable obstacle, all you have to do is walk towards it and Marissa will auto-jump to it's location. Depending on the terrain layout, you will be prompted to change where you will be jumping towards, or what you want to jump at.

The explanation for this in-game is due to the fact that Marissa has much greater acrobatic abilities than all the other characters, which allows her to navigate otherwise impossible terrain, like stalagmites, wet rock surfaces and other things that most, non-athletic, people would end up getting injured by. Much like with chain-jumps as you see below would, realistically, require a lot more precision and focus to traverse; also stamina, that's a thing you have to keep in mind.

6f8c7888b9f6643a0a0d3aea47bedf99.png

And yes, it is directional based, so if you're surfing and try to approach the orb, no you will not auto-jump. It's dependent on the direction from which the character approaches the orb, so any and all bugs that people may think to happen have already been preemptively fixed.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

I just thought I'd post this, but a close friend of mine made needle felted plushies of two of my characters from my game :D They are plushies of Hiro and Vice *cough* OTP XD I love my plushies uwu

image1.jpg

As a casual aside from all the cuteness, I am right now working on several complex events in the game, and hopefully after these events are complete, I can then delve into another session of Beta Testing the game.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Upvote 1

Send your friend to me, I'd like to make an appointment with them to sew proper eyes onto my plush zard x :(

She lives in the UK, so perhaps arrangements could be made XD Also, here's some more artwork for Hiro in all of her amazingness. To which, I actually like how colorful she is with her beach attire ^^ it does bring out the whole relaxing at the beach sort of thing together, I think.

commishdylanrockinhirocg02final_by_rialy

• Upvote 1