Things that you DONT like on Pokemon Reborn.

Karyuudan

I admit that it surprised me when, after spending some time grinding off repeatable trainers, I noticed I had like 50K more money than I had before. That alone puts an end to the hobo jokes, although, why would you want to be a hobo? It sucks. I remember in a previous playthrough before an extended hiatus that I'd spent so much money on healing items and desperately need more to have any hope of fighting Radomus, but didn't have the funds to do so, that I might've been stuck. Having too little money is more dangerous than too much.

Really, I thought that the repeated trainers already gave rather low sums of money, besides the super rich doubles battle couple. It's just that we grind off those trainers so much that the funds add up overtime.

But I don't think it makes the game easier, just more convenient -- it saves needless backtracking for trips to the Pokecenter. And most of my funds just collect dust anyway. Money is only useful when you have stuff to buy it with, and really, what're we buying? Potions and some Department Store gear? Healing mid-battle is always a risk, especially if your opponent is faster, so it's not like a large supply of potions are a never-faint-again solution.

Edited by Timber Dragon

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm talking about what the game gives you naturally. I practically never buy anything throughout the game, which caused me to never lack the funds in case I wanted a potion or two for extreme situation.

No, I'm talking about what the game gives you naturally. I practically never buy anything throughout the game, which caused me to never lack the funds in case I wanted a potion or two for extreme situation.

Well I think theres no problem in that if you adding up the grind it takes to level up pokemons, find them and progress, so you don't really have to worry about money if you don't do really bad decisions, but you could always for example spend extra money on Rare candys, I think I saw them for 20k.

I mean personal hard mode would be then to stop picking up stuff and to only buy, but you would also maybe miss some important stuff. Adding that kind of harder more in-game wouldn't be bad for some hardcore players. :D

Edited by Holograpic

I'm too lazy too hit the respond button to all of these so first I'll kind of respond to the items and then the money:

Items

Before I say anything, I'm just going to show a couple of regular reborn leaders vs the hardcore counterparts (these ones I'm not so afraid to give the data away for due to being pretty obvious from my perspective):

Charlotte
6,HYPERPOTION,HYPERPOTION
DARMANITAN,65,,ROCKSLIDE,FLAREBLITZ,UTURN,HAMMERARM,0,,0,false,ADAMANT,31,70,,false,,,4,252,0,252,0,0
TYPHLOSION,65,SITRUSBERRY,ERUPTION,SOLARBEAM,HEATWAVE,HIDDENPOWERROC,0,,0,false,TIMID,31,70,,false,,4,4,0,0,252,252,0
ROTOM,65,LIGHTCLAY,REFLECT,VOLTSWITCH,OVERHEAT,HIDDENPOWERICE,0,,1,false,MODEST,31,70,,false,,,252,0,4,0,0,252
DELPHOX,66,LIGHTCLAY,LIGHTSCREEN,HEATWAVE,FLAMETHROWER,PSYSHOCK,0,,0,false,TIMID,31,70,,false,,,4,0,0,252,252,0
VOLCARONA,67,CHARTIBERRY,GIGADRAIN,QUIVERDANCE,HEATWAVE,HIDDENPOWERROC,0,,0,false,MODEST,31,70,,false,,4,4,0,0,252,252,0
NINETALES,72,SITRUSBERRY,HEATWAVE,SOLARBEAM,HIDDENPOWERROC,NASTYPLOT,1,,0,false,TIMID,31,70,,false,,,4,0,0,252,252,0
#-------------------
Charlotte
6,HYPERPOTION,HYPERPOTION
DARMANITAN,68,CHOICESCARF,ROCKSLIDE,FLAREBLITZ,UTURN,HAMMERARM,0,,0,false,ADAMANT,31,70,,false,,,4,252,0,252,0,0
TYPHLOSION,68,POWERHERB,ERUPTION,SOLARBEAM,HEATWAVE,HIDDENPOWERROC,0,,0,false,TIMID,31,70,,false,,,4,0,0,252,252,0
ROTOM,69,WHITEHERB,REFLECT,VOLTSWITCH,OVERHEAT,HIDDENPOWERGRA,0,,1,false,MODEST,31,70,,false,,,252,0,4,0,0,252
TALONFLAME,69,SHARPBEAK,FLAREBLITZ,BRAVEBIRD,UTURN,ROOST,1,,0,false,ADAMANT,31,70,,false,,,4,252,0,252,0,0
HOUNDOOM,70,HOUNDOOMINITE,NASTYPLOT,HEATWAVE,SLUDGEBOMB,DARKPULSE,1,,0,false,TIMID,31,70,,false,,,4,0,0,252,252,0
NINETALES,72,HEATROCK,HEATWAVE,SOLARBEAM,WILLOWISP,NASTYPLOT,1,,0,false,TIMID,31,70,,false,,,4,0,0,252,252,0
#-------------------
Shade
6,ULTRAPOTION,ULTRAPOTION
GENGAR,35,,HYPNOSIS,DREAMEATER,SHADOWCLAW,THUNDERBOLT,0,0,0,false,HARDY,10,0,Corey,false,,12,
TREVENANT,34,LUMBERRY,LEECHSEED,NATUREPOWER,HORNLEECH,SHADOWCLAW,2,,0,false,ADAMANT,14,70,,false
ROTOM,37,LEFTOVERS,PAINSPLIT,CONFUSERAY,SHADOWBALL,DISCHARGE,,,0,false,BOLD,20,70,,false
BANETTE,36,,SHADOWCLAW,KNOCKOFF,SHADOWSNEAK,DESTINYBOND,2,,0,false,ADAMANT,20,70,,false
DOUBLADE,35,,GYROBALL,SHADOWCLAW,BRICKBREAK,SWORDSDANCE,0,,0,false,BRAVE,25,70,,false
CHANDELURE,38,SITRUSBERRY,HIDDENPOWERELE,FLAMEBURST,SHADOWBALL,ENERGYBALL,0,,0,false,MODEST,5,70,,false,,12,
#----------------------
Shade
ROTOM,40,LEFTOVERS,DISCHARGE,SHADOWBALL,THUNDERWAVE,CONFUSERAY,0,,0,false,MODEST,31,70,,false,,,100,0,100,100,100,100
GOLURK,39,MUSCLEBAND,EARTHQUAKE,DRAINPUNCH,SHADOWPUNCH,THUNDERPUNCH,0,0,0,false,ADAMANT,25,0,,false,,,80,60,100,60,0,80
GENGAR,38,GENGARITE,DAZZLINGGLEAM,CONFUSERAY,SHADOWBALL,THUNDERBOLT,0,0,0,false,MODEST,0,0,Corey,false
DUSKNOIR,39,LEFTOVERS,SHADOWCLAW,BRICKBREAK,EARTHQUAKE,WILLOWISP,0,,0,false,ADAMANT,31,70,,false,,,100,60,80,60,0,120
AEGISLASH,40,SPELLTAG,IRONHEAD,SHADOWSNEAK,BRICKBREAK,KINGSSHIELD,0,,0,false,ADAMANT,30,70,,false
CHANDELURE,42,WISEGLASSES,HIDDENPOWERELE,FLAMETHROWER,SHADOWBALL,ENERGYBALL,0,,0,false,MODEST,31,70,,false
#-------------------
Shelly
ILLUMISE,32,DAMPROCK,RAINDANCE,STRUGGLEBUG,DAZZLINGGLEAM,CONFUSERAY,2,1,0,false,MODEST,2,70,,false
MASQUERAIN,31,SILVERPOWDER,STRUGGLEBUG,ICYWIND,BUBBLEBEAM,ENERGYBALL,0,0,0,false,ADAMANT,4,70,,false
ANORITH,32,MUSCLEBAND,AQUAJET,RAPIDSPIN,KNOCKOFF,ROCKSLIDE,1,1,0,false,ADAMANT,10,70,,false
WORMADAM,32,,STRUGGLEBUG,MIRRORSHOT,PSYBEAM,GIGADRAIN,1,1,2,false,MODEST,16,70,,false
YANMEGA,33,,STRUGGLEBUG,GIGADRAIN,AIRCUTTER,ANCIENTPOWER,0,1,0,false,MODEST,2,70,Heather,false
VOLBEAT,35,LEFTOVERS,TAILGLOW,MOONLIGHT,STRUGGLEBUG,DAZZLINGGLEAM,2,0,0,false,BOLD,31,70,Bugsy,false
#-------------------
Shelly
ILLUMISE,37,DAMPROCK,RAINDANCE,CONFUSERAY,STRUGGLEBUG,MOONLIGHT,2,1,0,false,BOLD,31,70,,false,,,252,0,126,0,4,126
MASQUERAIN,35,MYSTICWATER,STRUGGLEBUG,AIRSLASH,SCALD,ENERGYBALL,0,0,0,false,TIMID,31,70,,false,,,54,54,54,146,146,54
ARMALDO,34,MUSCLEBAND,ROCKSLIDE,AQUAJET,BUGBITE,BULLDOZE,1,1,0,false,ADAMANT,25,70,,false,,,54,108,54,108,0,146
VESPIQUEN,35,LEFTOVERS,HEALORDER,TOXIC,ATTACKORDER,DEFENDORDER,2,1,0,false,CALM,23,70,,false,,,54,54,146,46,54,146
YANMEGA,34,BIGROOT,STRUGGLEBUG,GIGADRAIN,AIRCUTTER,ANCIENTPOWER,0,1,0,false,MODEST,25,70,Heather,false
VOLBEAT,38,LEFTOVERS,TAILGLOW,MOONLIGHT,STRUGGLEBUG,DAZZLINGGLEAM,2,0,0,false,BOLD,31,70,Bugsy,false,,,108,0,104,54,138,104
#-------------------

This pattern of Reborn leaders lacking items goes up until around Terra where they all start using items and in fact Terra's Excadrill is the first Life Orb seen in the game iirc...or maybe it was Blake. Admittedly I use quite a number of Leftovers in order to keep leaders using a variety of mons but more often than not, the leftovers make a Pokemon dangerous, instead of delaying the inevitable. I mean you could argue that it's unfair that they get access and so many of them use it put then someone could say right back it's you that's being unfair due to:

-Unlimited healing items

-Revive Pokemon Knocked out

-Ability to switch after knocking a Pokemon out

-Ability to freely change out Pokemon inbetween battles (aka opponents can't randomly switch all their mons on you)

So variety vs difficulty is very hard to balance however I do see how it'd be annoy how one fight you've been fighting for hours due to either a leftovers or Life Orb could seem like everyone is doing it or it's a pain but I'd put that blame more on the rematch trainers since they can be absurdly difficult to the point it's not even funny. Like even shifting the game five levels they can still be way too high leveled to train off of. Due to that, along with the lack of an exp share, it can be a real pain to train up a new member without having one mon overleveled.

Money

I never honestly saw too much money as a problem. Of course, I played the role of hobo living off of super potions for 70% of the game so my funds were always really big even for the Episode 7 game. But for the department store, I could burn through 200,000 Poke like it is nothing and that's from the two floor that are now blocked off. I honestly feel like the game gives you just the right amount allowing for players to either use it to make their lives easier with items like Cotton Candy or Ice Cream, or save it to buy the really good stuff down the line such as linkstones, evolution stones, evolution items, etc.

This is more a problem I have in video games in general, but I absolutely HATE the Silent Protagonist trope.

Honestly, I understand it when you're basically kind of like a self-insert, but I honestly prefer games where the protagonist is not only involved in the plot, but when he talks, when he makes his opinion known. It's only of my gripes with Pokemon games in general, from the main series to Mystery Dungeon.

And no, implied dialogue does not do it for me, personally. There's a reason why I really like Vyse from Skies of Arcadia. The fact that he's a defined character who talks, in my opinion, makes him more believable and a better protag then if he was just a silent character for the player to insert themselves into.

So...yeah, I don't like the fact that the main protagonist in the game is a silent one. I know it's probably a petty annoyance, but it's one that grates me nontheless.

Edited by Anstane

There's only one ditto in the game and mine has zero perfect IVs.

The daycare man doesn't change positions when he has an egg.

If you pick squirtle, chikorita, cyndaquil, totodile, turtwig, piplup, tepig, chespin, or fennekin as your started then you're reducing the number of possible pokemon you can obtain by one evolution line. It feels like you're being punished for not choosing one of the other starters. Discovering that your starter was a wasted chance to obtain pokemon would convince many to delete their save file and start anew.

The game equates ECT with electroshock therapy, which surprised me considering how liberal the game is.

Edited by Oxygen9

So things that I don't like on Pokemon Reborn, eh? First is the lag, which is no surprise regarding the scale of maps and events. The lack of easy transportation make this worse. I hope future version can make it better which is on progress to alleviate the lag.

Next is just my personal taste. Sometimes traveling through Reborn feels so lonely. Even with the amount of characters, it feels that what everyone cares just themselves or their love. I never feel to be close with certain character in the game (some of them have awesome character though) which is intended to give the atmosphere of gloomy Reborn City, I guess. The fact that Reborn City is recently under apocalypse doesn't make it better. However with the new Reborn under development, I hope all the suffering and lonely feel are paid off. It'll be nice to experience reborn "Reborn City".

This is more a problem I have in video games in general, but I absolutely HATE the Silent Protagonist trope.

Honestly, I understand it when you're basically kind of like a self-insert, but I honestly prefer games where the protagonist is not only involved in the plot, but when he talks, when he makes his opinion known. It's only of my gripes with Pokemon games in general, from the main series to Mystery Dungeon.

And no, implied dialogue does not do it for me, personally. There's a reason why I really like Vyse from Skies of Arcadia. The fact that he's a defined character who talks, in my opinion, makes him more believable and a better protag then if he was just a silent character for the player to insert themselves into.

So...yeah, I don't like the fact that the main protagonist in the game is a silent one. I know it's probably a petty annoyance, but it's one that grates me nontheless.

I have thought about that, but there is also the case where the protagonists's personality and opinions differ slightly or greatly from the player, and in turn might make the player feel less connected with him/her, the plot, or the game in general.

silent protagonist lets the player have his own thoughts and opinions (albeit never making them known to the NPCs).

I see your point, but having an established character in a Pokémon game doesn't always work:

- First off, no matter what personality you give him/her/xe, there will always be someone who will complain about it.

- Second is that in a game such as Reborn, were there are very many different characters with different personality, it would be hard to make up your own opinion about them if what you see of them is through the MC. (I'm not saying it's impossible)

- Third is that I have this feeling that if the MC was given a personality, not many of other characters, such as Cal at the beginning, would open themselves so up to the MC. That one pro with silent protagonist: because they don't talk, other characters may have a better time opening themselves up to the MC because they usually don't judge them.

There are some parts of Reborn I wish the MC had a personality, but when I think of the game as a whole, it suits that it is a silent protagonist.

Edited by Lilleen

I see your point, but having an established character in a Pokémon game doesn't always work:

- First off, no matter what personality you give him/her/xe, there will always be someone who will complain about it.

- Second is that in a game such as Reborn, were there are very many different characters with different personality, it would be hard to make up your own opinion about them if what you see of them is through the MC. (I'm not saying it's impossible)

- Third is that I have this feeling that if the MC was given a personality, not many of other characters, such as Cal at the beginning, would open themselves so up to the MC. That one pro with silent protagonist: because they don't talk, other characters may have a better time opening themselves up to the MC because they usually don't judge them.

There are some parts of Reborn I wish the MC had a personality, but when I think of the game as a whole, it suits that it is a silent protagonist.

1) There are people i.e. me that complain when the character has no personality, so it's a lose/lose either way, you are going to annoy someone regardless.

2) Fair point, though...yeah, I can't think of anything.

3) It does feel like you're just a sponge, soaking up the others up while giving little in return. Yes, characters do open up, but what's wrong with them doing so gradually, when they start to really trust you? Yes, I agree, some would never open themselves up as much, but those who do, you feel like you earned their trust.

I don't know, I just have a bias towards not being a fan of silent protags, as they feel more reactive rather then proactive, alongside them just not feeling natural to me.

And...alright, I will concede that a mute main protagonist does allow the development of other characters which in a game with as cast as large as this game has, is not a bad thing.

Edited by Anstane

Things I don't like, uh?

>Backtracking. I can't count how many times I've passed up and down Route 2 and Ametrine Mountain before knowing where to go; it's not only long, it's very confusing, and the encounter ratio is up the roof sometimes. (I used all my 99 super repels, how did it even happen...)

>Some of the music. This is mostly personal preference, but while I like the several variations of Reborn City Music, I don't find the battle themes that fitting. GlitchxCity makes some good music, but I feel they are too complex for battle themes. Also, I wish the bike theme didn't exist altogether, because I always have to listen to that one when travelling.

>Bennet? Bennet. I hate him, because I can't understand him. He's a character I'm not supposed to like, right? Then I think he should be MORE disgusting. It feels to me all of his actions come out of the blue, for example the game should hint at his squishy love for Luna. I think he should be squishier and worse than he is now, kind of a slug. That Gardevoir, though... she was a pleasant surprise.

Regarding

I don't know, I just have a bias towards not being a fan of silent protags, as they feel more reactive rather then proactive, alongside them just not feeling natural to me.

I can see that, but I think it's not that bad, and pokémon has always been like that anyway. What can be improved, though, are the choices the player is able to make, so that it feels more as if you were inside the story, rather than guiding one of the several people that make reborn city.

>Bennet? Bennet. I hate him, because I can't understand him. He's a character I'm not supposed to like, right? Then I think he should be MORE disgusting. It feels to me all of his actions come out of the blue, for example the game should hint at his squishy love for Luna. I think he should be squishier and worse than he is now, kind of a slug.

Hmm, I thought Bennett's crush on Luna was made pretty clear from the start on - when El asks about her, Bennett immediately starts talking about her in gushing language, to the point where he gets cut off because he's rambling too much.

Everything he says about her or his interactions with her makes it really obvious that he's got it bad for her to the point of being obsessive. And the way he insists that he's going to MAKE HER like him is unsettling to say the least.

Honestly, I personally actually found Bennett's characterization, especially in terms of his feelings for Luna, a bit too excessive. The game sure makes a point of beating me over the head with it.

Hmm, I thought Bennett's crush on Luna was made pretty clear from the start on - when El asks about her, Bennett immediately starts talking about her in gushing language, to the point where he gets cut off because he's rambling too much.

Everything he says about her or his interactions with her makes it really obvious that he's got it bad for her to the point of being obsessive. And the way he insists that he's going to MAKE HER like him is unsettling to say the least.

Honestly, I personally actually found Bennett's characterization, especially in terms of his feelings for Luna, a bit too excessive. The game sure makes a point of beating me over the head with it.

Hmm, I really don't know. I mean, when you arrive at Iolia Valley and he starts acting like a stalker he pretty much fits the description you've done perfectly, but before that point I didn't really notice. Then again, it's true that I've played the game only once, I may have easily missed those remarks (and playing late at night sure doesn't help xD), especially since I didn't really expect it. I thought it was more worry and care for his adopted sister than love, and I was struck the most by the fact he wanted to become a gym leader, to the point of meddling with weird people to achieve that.

I've compiled Bennett's dialogue in Spinel Town.

Bennett: Luna!? Oh, you're not Luna. Um, anyway, excuse me, I was supposed to investigate the source of a loud noise... *sees Pokecenter on top of the Gym* That would do it. Mother, the shop seems to have appeared on top of the house..

Bennett: Well, greetings. My name is Bennett, as you heard. I'm a lepidopterist... Yes, a lepidoptrerist. You know, a person who studies butterflies and moths? Something about how little insects can go from what they are to something much more is just exciting! For instance- did you know that Cascoon have perfect memories? Despite never moving or doing anything they'll never forget a battle! Then once they evolve they're remarkably able to exact any form of retaliation for what happened earlier in their life! When you think about it, they truly are small geniuses... *Serra interrupts* Yes, mother.

Bennett: *Serra talks about her being a gym leader and Bennett interrupts* Luna is also a gym leader! *Player name* have you at any point seen a young girl with pretty blonde hair and a fancy black and white dress?... And very beautiful... *Serra interrupts him*

Bennett: *El arrives and asks for Luna* You--- can't mean Luna?!

*Bennet proceeds to claim how anyone who wants to challenge his mother first need to defeat him*

Bennett: Well, I'll be happy to demonstrate for you the fruits of my research *battle ensues*

* after defeat* Ah... Well, it looks like I still have some adaptations to undergo myself...

*Later with El, when asked about Luna's Emerald Broch*

Bennett: Oh, that! Yes, definitely. It looks great on- Um, yes.

This was taken from Shofu's lets play and not the latest version, so some parts of their dialogue are missing that were added later. But Luna and bug types are literally the only thing he talks about. It's kinda hard to NOT notice hos obsessed he is with Luna from the get go.

It's difficult to point out what exactly made his so infatuated with Luna to even develop his current mentality, but from what I can gather from Luna's dialogue in Iolia Valley she seems pretty apathetic to him, being confused as to what he's talking about when he suddenly starts confessing his feelings. Through It's probably just a precarious crush since she seems to be the only person around his age in all of Spinel town, and like he himself said, he thought she was pretty. I don't think that Bennett and Luna even talked that much during her stay with Serra, since she seems oblivious to his existence.

Through there is a definite shift after he met El, and how he developed his stalkerish mentality once we saw him in Iolia Valley. Its easy to imagine how it first started to develop after he was taken in by El and he started rising in the ranks quickly. For someone who's been looked down upon and ignored their whole life, once put in a position of power its easy to imagine how get full of themselves once they suddenly get treated like someone important like Bennett did under El. In general I get the feeling that he solely joined El because he said he was Luna's father, just notice his reaction when El said Luna was his daughter. And thus after he got taken in and was brainwashed/fed lies by El his current mentality developed. Its kinda tragic really, since our hate towards Bennett should really be directed toward El who encouraged and begot his behavior.

But no, instead Bennett gets treated as the most hated character in all of Reborn...

Edited by Tartar

If your entire team consists of Pokemon that make use of Quiver Dance, you DESERVE to be hated.

#notreallybutkinda

---

I admittedly am a fan of silent protagonists because there are not character traits that don't truly belong to the player - making it easier to inject the player into the story. However - the player character being "reactionary" is actually the central essence of not only Reborn - but Pokemon in general.

For example - as much as we play with the intention of training and catching certain Pokemon at times - we never know what specific place on the map a wild Pokemon pops up. It's impossible to pass a trainer that catches you in their field of vision without battling them first - even though we may battle every trainer on a route intentionally. The world comes to the trainer just as the trainer traverses the world - which is always very welcoming in a Pokemon experience for me.

In Reborn though, it's taken to the next level where the only thing we know about Vero/Alice/Kuro/Lucia/Ari/Decibel/whatever the heck your name is is that they are not from the Reborn region. As they travel around Reborn, everything that happens from the moment they arrive to the people they meet and work alongside with on the journey to the very end is one event the player has to react to one way or another.

I understand people who prefer to be proactive, but being reactionary seems to be the point when you just came to Reborn to beat the League and not to end up trying to save the region from destruction.

Just for kicks I tallied up the number of times said items timber mentioned. The hardcore percentages should be pretty accurate but for regular reborn I'm to going to roughly guess on average 4 items per boss due to large sections of mons in the game lacking them. (If someone wants to do an exact count of the number of items in the game be my guest).

Regular Reborn (based on 300 items)

number of life orbs: 19 (6.33%)

number of leftovers: 67 (22.33%)

number of black sludges: 7 (2.33%)

Reborn Hardcore (based on 450 items)

number of life orbs: 40 (8.88%)

number of leftovers: 91 (20.2%)

number of black sludges: 33 (7.33%)

The lefties ratio is actually honestly surprising and I can understand Timber Dragon complaining about the number of lefties considering 1/4th of the boss mons have them.

Its kinda tragic really, since our hate towards Bennett should really be directed toward El who encouraged and begot his behavior.

But no, instead Bennett gets treated as the most hated character in all of Reborn...

This is the one part of me that feels sorry for Bennett.

The other is in general his story. Being ignored at first by everyone in Spinel Town and then suddenly being (willingly) kidnapped and brainwashed by a crazy cultist. I seriously hope something or someone will help him, because I don't want to see him get underserving punishment.

• Global Mods

I don't feel sorry for Bennett because of his circumstances. Not after he thought chaining Luna up was a good idea (he did apologize but it's despicable he could ever do it in the first place) or his "I'll show you all!!!" speech after losing. If I were Luna, when he started being creepy at Iolia Valley I'd have Bisharp slice through his stomach.

I don't feel sorry for Bennett because of his circumstances. Not after he thought chaining Luna up was a good idea (he did apologize but it's despicable he could ever do it in the first place) or his "I'll show you all!!!" speech after losing. If I were Luna, when he started being creepy at Iolia Valley I'd have Bisharp slice through his stomach.

I'm not saying I have sympathy for Bennett, but I definitely can empathize with him. He really lacks some good role models in his life to actually teach him right from wrong. He's lived with his mother his whole life, who I get the feeling doesn't care for him particularly much, in a small town on the outskirts of the city, surrounded by forrests with his only form of contact with others around his age being by fighting challengers who come to fight his mother, to whom he constantly loses. So when someone comes and offers him to take him away from such a dreary place and help him surpass himself and become an "amazing" person I can definitely see why he'd come to adore and accept everything El says, since he's literally the only person in his life who's ever offered to help him in life.

(I wonder whether Ame is trying to make a statement about religion prying on the weak?)

But otherwise he is NOT a good person in any sense, his morals are very warped and his actions are (for lack of a better word) creepy and abnormal. But again, I feel that in this community the hate towards Bennet is exaggerated and unjustified. People don't even seem to acknowledge El's influence on the boy, and mostly just relegate him to some stereotypical antisocial creepy dude.

I'm not saying I have sympathy for Bennett, but I definitely can empathize with him. He really lacks some good role models in his life to actually teach him right from wrong. He's lived with his mother his whole life, who I get the feeling doesn't care for him particularly much, in a small town on the outskirts of the city, surrounded by forrests with his only form of contact with others around his age being by fighting challengers who come to fight his mother, to whom he constantly loses. So when someone comes and offers him to take him away from such a dreary place and help him surpass himself and become an "amazing" person I can definitely see why he'd come to adore and accept everything El says, since he's literally the only person in his life who's ever offered to help him in life.

(I wonder whether Ame is trying to make a statement about religion prying on the weak?)

But otherwise he is NOT a good person in any sense, his morals are very warped and his actions are (for lack of a better word) creepy and abnormal. But again, I feel that in this community the hate towards Bennet is exaggerated and unjustified. People don't even seem to acknowledge El's influence on the boy, and mostly just relegate him to some stereotypical antisocial creepy dude.

This is where I differ. Of course, I won't argue against anyone who dislike Bennett, because it's pointless. An opinion on a character is something one can discuss without going anywhere with.

I just wanna say that I get it. I get why people dislike Bennett. I see peoples point of him being a creep and helping El as a bad thing. And I too see it that way. I'm not trying to say that Bennett is innocent, because he isn't. He has done bad things, even though he tries to convince himself that "it's the best for *insert Reborn character here*". Also his apporach of Luna before your battle with her was immensly creepy.

But what I also see is a boy who was miserable, even if he didn't realize it himself. His mother didn't care about him and people in Spinel Town also talked him down. El was possibly the first person who had given him a complement. Also, taking Bennett out of his hometown provided something new to Bennett. It is unfortunate that the only reason El cares about him is because of his information on Lunas wherabouts.

I'll admit that at first, I didn't like Bennett. However, when I played through Reborn once more, I actually realized how terribly people treated him, especially his mother: Commanding him around and not give a damn about what he loves to do.

Again, I'm not trying to convince people that he's a good character, or innocent or that other people should feel sorry for him just because I do so. I just wanna say what I have to say about Bennett. It's totally alright to diagree. I ain't gonna bite your head off for that.

• Global Mods

Oh, I do acknowledge that El had a lot of influence on him. It just doesn't make my opinion of Bennett change.

"But otherwise he is NOT a good person in any sense, his morals are very warped and his actions are (for lack of a better word) creepy and abnormal." That's enough to make me think badly of him even if he was being used by someone else and even if he was always ignored and looked down on.

I could see Serra not really caring for him, because even though she gave up her career to focus on him, she still seems to have regrets about it. I feel like she'd be a happier person if she never had a kid in the first place. Bennett did have an unfortunate life before meeting El, but knowing that in-universe wouldn't make me any less pissed off at what he does. What happened to him in the past was wrong, but what he's doing in the present is also wrong and that's more important to me. (and I'm not trying to say you're saying what he's doing is excused by what happened to him, because you're not, I'm just saying it doesn't matter to me what he went through when he does what he does). I feel feelings at ZEL and Taka's stories and personalities, but not at Bennett's, because there's nothing I like about Bennett. There's no positive traits I see in him, or at least not enough to balance out the negative ones. I'm assuming he'll be redeemed in the future (where he'll use this sprite) and I'll forgive him then, but for now, > : ( is my opinion of him.

@Lilleen You say you like Bennet as a character, but like ICSW has stated, its not as if he has shown any traits that make him likeable. He has no inherently good traits outside his determination (which he misuses for "evil" purposes").

As of this moment I find him an intriguing character if for no other reason because I see the possibility that he can develop into something more interesting in the future, but as of now he's merely a misguided teenager trying to find his way in life. Perhaps something will come of his character, perhaps not. but currently I he's the weakest villain in all of Reborn. Hopefully he'll get a redemption arc in the future, or the alternative could be that he breaks away from El and fully embraces his evil side and becomes an awesome villain... That could be an interesting turn of events for his character. But alas, it'll probably not come to be.

On a sidenote, what was Bennett's story during the league, and was Serra actually his real mother?

I just started playing, I'm about to battle ZEL and Taka for like the 6th time, so I'm grinding in the area.

The music is amazing (Glitch ofc), the story is good so far, there's a variety of characters, and I like how dark it is, so honestly the game is amazing.

The only thing that bothers me is the lagging, especially in grassy areas. But that's not really the creators' fault, so I just gotta deal with it.