[Spoilers] E16 Status Discussion

Amethyst

Though it would be amusing to see your attempt at making one of the protagonists fly on a Pidgey.

Forget Pidgey, I'd want to see

On a more speculation-related note, I think Florinia will be just fine.

Saphira got Poison Fang'd by Sirius' Seviper at the mansion (if you go for the Laura team-up, at least), and while it knocked her out for a while she seems to have been fine ever since.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are 79 pokemon that can learn fly and 6 protagonists so that would be 474 sprites to make for that so nope

Yeah I figured as much. It was just a cool little thought that popped into my head, but right after I made that post I thought " Wait wouldn't that be a LOT of work". I guess you thought the same :P.

Hate to drag the discussion off topic for a moment, but I'm just hopping in to give a casual reminder to everyone. It's been a while since our last release and we've gained a lot of new members since then (welcome, by the way, if I haven't ever greeted you). Now, I want to let you guys know that once the status reaches 100%, that does not mean the episode is immediately released. After reaching 100%, the developers participate in a brief alpha test before shipping the beta off to our ace members. After the completion of the beta testing, then Episode 16 will be shipped out to the community to sift through the remaining bugs. After that's finished, Episode 16 will be put on the downloads page for everyone to use.

Additionally, following the community release, the forums and server will be placed under a one-month spoiler lock to prevent spread of game spoilers immediately. For more information on the spoiler-lock, I recommend checking out this gem.

After the completion of the beta testing, then Episode 16 will be shipped out to the community to sift through the remaining bugs.

Can we sign up for this "post-beta" phase, or is it strictly for a select few of the community?

Hate to drag the discussion off topic for a moment, but I'm just hopping in to give a casual reminder to everyone. It's been a while since our last release and we've gained a lot of new members since then (welcome, by the way, if I haven't ever greeted you). Now, I want to let you guys know that once the status reaches 100%, that does not mean the episode is immediately released. After reaching 100%, the developers participate in a brief alpha test before shipping the beta off to our ace members. After the completion of the beta testing, then Episode 16 will be shipped out to the community to sift through the remaining bugs. After that's finished, Episode 16 will be put on the downloads page for everyone to use.

Additionally, following the community release, the forums and server will be placed under a one-month spoiler lock to prevent spread of game spoilers immediately. For more information on the spoiler-lock, I recommend checking out this gem.

Oh, I see! Well thank you for letting us know, that's quite kind of you. quick question: How long does this typically take? :o

Can we sign up for this "post-beta" phase, or is it strictly for a select few of the community?

Beta testing is a privilege given only to our ace members.

Oh, I see! Well thank you for letting us know, that's quite kind of you. quick question: How long does this typically take? :o

Alpha testing generally takes a few days at most and beta testing generally spans between 1-2 weeks.

I believe Tacos is referring to the community release, which is available for all members of the forums, so you don't need to sign up for anything it will be available to you as a forum member.

Alpha testing generally takes a few days at most and beta testing generally spans between 1-2 weeks.

Oof, that's gonna be torture! But it'll make the game even better for us. Thanks for letting us know. <3

Well it depends on how many bugs and/or problems you can find. Sometimes Opal Ward may not be accessible for some reason, random people jumping on tables, getting items for free because some walls become walkable, M-Rayquaza appearing in your very first battle with a trainer outside the Grand Hall, and more.

As for typos and dialogue lines disappearing, those usually stay a while unnoticed or unfixed as more pressing matters have a +1.5 priority.

Edit: Instead of a John Cena meme, I would very much prefer Solaris say something along the lines: "You know nothing, Orderly John"

Instead of a John Cena meme, I would very much prefer Solaris say something along the lines: "You know nothing, Orderly John"

This guy knows where it's at^^^

Also, i think it's a bit better if the game is alpha and beta tested first, then they can suffer all of the game breaking, save file deleting nasty bugs.

And we get off scott free! With the occaisional save file deletion that filters through.

Edited by kalzone678

Personally, I think that Orderly John has his own plans for joining Meteor other than helping Dr. Sigmund. I honestly think that he'll pull off some sort of Dragon Ascendant thing and possibly overtake and pawn off the Doctor for his own goals, much like how Sirius isn't truly in agreement with Solaris' plans for Meteor.

Of course, this is all just speculation.

I also remember Ame hinting somewhere that Orderly John actually does have his own "plans"? Of course, this is only a faint recollection, so do take it with a grain of salt.

Could he just be Head orderly John?

Props. Letting them know about that was a good idea.

beta testing generally spans between 1-2 weeks.

Didn't the E15 one take like a month? That was a mess though (no offense Ame) so usually that'd be on point.

Oof, that's gonna be torture! But it'll make the game even better for us. Thanks for letting us know. <3

You better believe it, you don't want to see the state of some of those betas (againnooffenseAmeeveryonemakesmistakesmistakesarenaturalIlyplsdon'tkillme). The post beta product is definitely more polished.

then Episode 16 will be shipped out to the community to sift through the remaining bugs. After that's finished, Episode 16 will be put on the downloads page for everyone to use.

As one of those new people since ep.15 (Thanks for the welcome btw) who barely posts but lurks a lot, what exactly defines "the community"? Does that mean everyone that is registered here will get access or is it more limited than that.?

• Global Mods

As one of those new people since ep.15 (Thanks for the welcome btw) who barely posts but lurks a lot, what exactly defines "the community"? Does that mean everyone that is registered here will get access or is it more limited than that.?

Yes, everyone who's registered. Meaning guests won't be able to see it.

You better believe it, you don't want to see the state of some of those betas (againnooffenseAmeeveryonemakesmistakesmistakesarenaturalIlyplsdon'tkillme). The post beta product is definitely more polished.

Do you guys just go around, talking to every NPC, and interacting with literally everything else to try and weed out the bugs and hoping you don't run into a game-breaking one? That sounds kinda hilarious.

Add about a bajillion percent more getting stuck on rocks in route 2 and you're starting get the picture. Once we all got trapped in Calcenon City because the exit back down into Ametrine Mountain didn't work.

Bah, alpha + beta testing will be NOTHING compared to the development time. We've persevered for this long; I can wait a couple weeks longer!

If GameFreak let Pokemon Uranium exist openly, GameFreak's own Pokemon games aren't gonna get more popular. People will switch to play Uranium instead because it has the same premise as well - A new generation of Pokemon. The "market" for Pokemon games will be divided into two parts, one who play Uranium and one who play GF's Pokemon games. They're effectively losing opportunity to make money. Remember, they HIRE people to make these games. They NEED to make profit to pay the creators.

Or, more realistic scenario here:

The people who play Uranium will also play Sun and Moon.

Uranium consists of a mostly heavily enfranchised player base, based on the nature of Pokémon fan game communities. If someone is invested enough into the Pokémon franchise to know of and actively download Pokémon fan games, then they probably also buy the official games as well. The percentage of Uranium players who also buy the official games is probably 90-95%.

So yes, "they're encroaching on our consumer base and potential profits" is technically a legitimate claim that can be made by a legal representative of the company, but it manifests on the more paranoid side of the spectrum.

A more realistic reason why they're doing this is because Pokémon Uranium could theoretically harm the reputation of the Pokémon brand.

How?

Well, let's say that there's a popular cartoon series called, I don't know, "Charlie the Dog." It's a story about a playful puppy doing silly things, and he is much beloved by children.
Now, let's imagine that some independent person comes along and starts making animations on the Internet featuring Charlie the Dog.
These animations feature Charlie smoking cigars, swearing, and just generally doing things that you wouldn't want your kids doing.

So a kid goes on the Internet, looks up "Charlie the Dog," and finds this video.
A concerned mom sees her son watching this HIGHLY INAPPROPRIATE video and asks him about it, and he says "But it's Charlie the Dog!"
The woman, quick to jump to conclusions and not smart enough to check web pages for disclaimers, starts spreading the word to all the other moms at the local supermarket about how Charlie the Dog is "inappropriate," "a bad influence on young children," etc.
Word spreads quickly, and "Charlie the Dog" sales start to decline. The company begins to lose revenue.
Meanwhile, these fanmade "Charlie the Dog" parody animations are just RAKING IN THE DOUGH.
Charlie the Dog, Inc. goes belly up, having lost all of its sales after its reputation was destroyed by this no-good online doppelganger.

Is this a far-fetched, paranoid, illogical scenario? Absolutely.
Is this a valid, legitimate claim that can be made by a team of lawyers? Again, absolutely.

A kid could play Pokémon Reborn, jump off a bridge like Corey, mangle himself on the pavement, and then tell his mom through muffled gurgles, "But I saw it in a Pokémon game!"
And then it's Charlie the Dog all over again.

TL;DR
The claim that you're making is technically valid from a legal standpoint, although not entirely objectively correct. People who play Uranium aren't necessarily going to avoid buying Sun and Moon just because they have Uranium. Realistically, Uranium's existence will have an impact on Sun and Moon's sales that is as close to zero as you can get.

Edited by Foamy

Do you guys just go around, talking to every NPC, and interacting with literally everything else to try and weed out the bugs and hoping you don't run into a game-breaking one? That sounds kinda hilarious.

Honestly I pretty much only go through the main story and sidequests. But yeah 15 was very broken in more ways than one. I am already predicting this will be transporting hell for beta testers.