[Spoilers] E16 Status Discussion

Amethyst

yeah that has to be why i kinda didn't value much, since i either play OU or NU(kind of an extremist)

It can work in OU. It has the movepool and the friggin speed to annoy the hell out of offense.

Anw: here's a thought

Leave Gen7 out of Reborn entirely

Reborn started in the BW era, where there were a lot of things. Strong, threatening things. But a lot of them were legends and another lot of them were based a lot on perma-weather, so that leaves them now both out of the equation. They are not big factors in balancing.

Gen6 introduced only a couple of evolutionary lines that made a difference in that regard: the three starters, Talon, Aegis, Klefki and the worst pseydo ever. Fairy retyping did some shuffling of pre-existent stuff and that's it. That's where Reborn is right now.

What Gen6 brought and Reborn hasn't even explored yet is the multicoloured galaxy of megastones. And now we're upon a new generation that brings a) new Pokemon lines (3 starters and then a handful will matter, hopefully), and B) a multitude of new formes for preexistent ones. This can be hella tricky, since it'll force a complete reexploration of the balancing and distribution, which isn't even up to stuff.

Not to mention that it'll have to introduce that Z-move mechanic, propably.

Reborn is complete at around a solid 65% to 70% I think. Even now, stuff is being pushed backwards. With that mindset and the current reality of quality TMs and Megastones being absent so far, and with the massive influx of new stuff in Gen7... I think the best option is to steer clear of that. It's gonna be way too packed that way, and it's gonna be a lot of work putting all that stuff in the game.

Hell, I'm kinda dreading the amount of stuff left to be put in the game with 4 episodes left.

Also I don't know how to interpret the signs: GF gives new formes to oddball choices like Eggy, Sandslash, Marowak, and also fan favourite Ninetales. Should we think that all of Kanto is getting Alola'd? Only some lines? No idea what to think of it... but either way, that's gonna be way too much

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind if Ame implemented Gen 7 after Reborn is finished, but I also wouldn't mind if she didn't implement it at all. Maybe I'll change my mind once Gen 7 actually comes out, but as it stands now I'm not all that hyped to get it into Reborn yet. We already have enough content to work with, and when we don't even have everything from the previous six generations implemented yet, I'm in no rush to get a brand-spanking new generation implemented just because it's brand-spanking new.

• Developers

Also I don't know how to interpret the signs: GF gives new formes to oddball choices like Eggy, Sandslash, Marowak, and also fan favourite Ninetales. Should we think that all of Kanto is getting Alola'd? Only some lines? No idea what to think of it... but either way, that's gonna be way too much

Gamefreak is crazy but they are not crazy to recreat every single kanto pokemon that is maddness considering its possible only half of the alolan pokemon have probably been shown at this point that would be far over 200 I believe they've calmed down since making BW 156

Gamefreak is crazy but they are not crazy to recreat every single kanto pokemon that is maddness considering its possible only half of the alolan pokemon have probably been shown at this point that would be far over 200 I believe they've calmed down since making BW 156

Yeah, those are my thoughts. I'm like, 80% certain that Rhydon + Rhyhorn will get Alolan forms. If not, I'd really think it weird that they didn't give the first Pokemon ever created + its pre-evolution a form... But then again, maybe its perfect the way it is.

Reborn is complete at around a solid 65% to 70% I think.

Actually it's a little over 83% complete total ( of course that's just based on individual episode percentage and not actual content since that varies per episode ).

we're almost at 80% but i'll just post the next field whenever i finish all of eventing, since that's a more significant milestone tbh.

obviously there's still other parts of the map effected by the lake to deal with and such

Magiikarp? Please?

Magiikarp? Please?

I don't know if we'll ever get our lovely fish friend again! I mean, evolving at level 20 into a very powerful Pokemon? You could just head to Opal and swap it out a few times against the re-battleable trainers and, BAM, Gyrados! I'm honestly somewhat leery at this point but I'll definitely hold out, because Gyrados is awesome.

Pokemon are usually defined in a text file, but alternate forms are defined in a script section. Basically it uses all the same attributes and then they're adjusted by the scripts for whatever needs to be changed. Meowstic, as well as every form change in the game uses this (including megas), but Alolan pokemon will probably be most like Shellos where it depends where they're from (+ a lot more changes besides appearance, of course)

no fuck that i dont want to wait until post-game for my pretty alolan ninetales i want her by my side at all times

no but really ill have to rework all of availabilty/trainers/fields/tms/leaders for gen 7 so fml tbh

benefit of doing that in the last episode will be that it can be a final balance check

ish

You could always add in the Alola forms first in some specific event earlier than the rest of the new generation. Would possibly make it easier to incorporate all of this new stuff by doing it in segments rather than all at once. Things like Z-moves probably wouldn't be accessed until the late and/or post game anyway, so it's not like those would have to be programmed anytime soon.

You could always add in the Alola forms first in some specific event earlier than the rest of the new generation. Would possibly make it easier to incorporate all of this new stuff by doing it in segments rather than all at once. Things like Z-moves probably wouldn't be accessed until the late and/or post game anyway, so it's not like those would have to be programmed anytime soon.

I'm all for the new gen 7 pokemon and Alola forms, but Z moves and stuff i don't really think should be added.

P.s I really want that Alolan Sandslash >_<

Edited by kalzone678

I feel sorry for the spriter who has to make Alola Exeggutor since it'd have such small details to fit on the screen (though it'd probably be shorter than the actual thing a smudge since it's ginormous). And again, Gen VII is going to be an all or nothing situation as it's been clearly defined with the mons. There is almost zero reason to do the forms first since we don't know what exactly to expect.

Z moves aren't happening. Don't care what I have to do to stop Ame, but they are not happening as I have enough broken things you guys get to deal with already. In all serious though, it's very possible to implement it's going to grind down to whether or not it should be implemented. If all it's purpose is for a stupidly hard hitting move, then it'd just sacrifice strategy for power for both player and opponent alike. Though it looks as if it's tied to the whole mega situation so we'll have to wait in see what it is before being too quick to judge.

• Administrators

It's been a while and we've missed these. Come on, you can't stop the theme now

I can do anything I want. ^~^

Leave Gen7 out of Reborn entirely

nah.

i know i'm making more work for myself here, but there's two reasons i won't do that. The first is that, remembering my thoughts as a player on fan-games back from the rom-hacking era, if a hack wasn't up to the current generation, I was like 80% less likely to care about it at all. Of course I don't expect a developer (or myself) to keep adding each and every generation after the game is complete, but as for during development, I see little reason not to.

Second is because I am sort of a dunce and that day, whatever day it was, that they announced ice-ninetales (and yes, i might be mildly obsessive over it), I had a thought process somewhat like the following:

Alolan Ninetales is so pretty! I'm actually looking forward to using it when the new games come out! I want to love and take care of it forever!

Oh, wait, based on 6th gen, Sun and Moon will probably be so easy I'll barely even be able to enjoy the game, let alone get any kind of satisfying experience with my Pokemon in it even if I do like them.

If only Gamefreak or someone else would make a Pokemon game that was actually interesting and challenging--

oh... wait, I guess I'm doing that, huh.

The new Ninetales alone has been a pretty potent reminder for me about why I am personally invested in this project. Maybe that seems silly to others (well forgetting I'm making a game probably -is- silly, but, details..) but this is my game and it's something I personally really want. So it's happening.

And just, like, on the real, this note about "cramming too much" into the last four episodes-- I am welcoming the reinforcements because honestly? I'm running out of Pokemon to put into new areas. And I've already been re-using a lot. Reborn is huge. This chance to diversify it more will be quite welcome.

What's more interesting to me is how the fields would have to adapt to accommodate Gen 7 additions/changes.

ugh. not looking forward to that admittedly. or specifically not looking forward to updating all of the field-app graphics........

Magiikarp? Please?

hah.

I'm all for the new gen 7 pokemon and Alola forms, but Z moves and stuff i don't really think should be added.

I agree here. I'm not committing to adding Z moves until we find out more about their function. And I'm currently strongly leaning against it based on what we know so far.

--

azurine done.

i know you all missed foongus item-balls.

i sure didn't miss pasting them fifty times only to realize that i actually pasted a real Miracle Seed item fifty times, so i had to delete those and paste the real foongus event fifty times, only to realize i typo'd the name and had to delete all of those and repaste them correctly, and then go back and add a variable to all of them because planning is overrated.

work tomorrow though. my goal is to finish the rest of the eventing this weekend between work and animations but we'll see how it goes.

i am interested to know if you're planning to give the player megas before post game(sorry after doing search didn't find an answer), maybe gym leader and bosses could have multiple megas to keep the game as masochistic as it is.

• Developers

bcpMXyo.png

yTrLr3f.png

So it's not a new map or a new animation or anything cool like that, but I figured I'd share a little part of the drive we've had to polish Reborn and fix bugs so everything is as nice as possible.

And Ame can back me up when I say:

You have no idea how long it took to make reflections look not shit.

I agree here. I'm not committing to adding Z moves until we find out more about their function. And I'm currently strongly leaning against it based on what we know so far.

All we know so far is that there is a Z-move of every type, and that each type Z-move has a corresponding hold item required to use that Z-move. It's like the illegitimate love-child between mega stones and type gems. It's a once-per-battle super powered attack, but it isn't consumed after use like type gems are. I'd imagine they're immune to moves like Trick and Thief, as well as the Pickpocket and Magician abilities.

To be honest, I'm not really sure how viable they will be. I question how valuable these one-time-use moves will be when you consider sacrificing the long-term reliability of items like Assault Vest, Choice Band/Specs/Scarf, Life Orb, Leftovers, etc... I imagine only a few Pokemon can get away with sacrificing their held items for that one-time powered attack. Revenge killers might appreciate them, but it also sucks that you won't be able to decide which Type to use in battle for duel-type Pokemon.

All we know so far is that there is a Z-move of every type, and that each type Z-move has a corresponding hold item required to use that Z-move. It's like the illegitimate love-child between mega stones and type gems. It's a once-per-battle super powered attack, but it isn't consumed after use like type gems are. I'd imagine they're immune to moves like Trick and Thief, as well as the Pickpocket and Magician abilities.

To be honest, I'm not really sure how viable they will be. I question how valuable these one-time-use moves will be when you consider sacrificing the long-term reliability of items like Assault Vest, Choice Band/Specs/Scarf, Life Orb, Leftovers, etc... I imagine only a few Pokemon can get away with sacrificing their held items for that one-time powered attack. Revenge killers might appreciate them, but it also sucks that you won't be able to decide which Type to use in battle for duel-type Pokemon.

Actually from how I understand it, it's the type of moves you know, NOT the type of the pokemon that determines what kind of Z-moves you can use. For instance a Pikachu that knows Thunderbolt and Grass Knot, could hold the electric OR grass type crystals and use the electric or grass type Z-moves. So it doesn't matter if the pokemon is dual-type or not. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works, I could be totally wrong and look like a huge idiot right now. But based on what I've read on the official Sun and Moon website, I think I'm right.

i am interested to know if you're planning to give the player megas before post game(sorry after doing search didn't find an answer), maybe gym leader and bosses could have multiple megas to keep the game as masochistic as it is.

The mega ring is very easy to disable (for the player) so I'm not too worried about when and where it gets implemented. Since I've had plenty of experience messing around with Megas, I can honestly say they aren't as strong as people think to the point I never thought "Oh, I wish I could give so-and-so more than one mega." Well...maybe only giving a pulse fight team a mega, but that'd be it. A mon better suited for a field effect is far stronger than a mega anyways.

I'm going to take a guess that it'll either be available in this episode or episode 18 as I feel that's the right time to include it to bring those weak mons back into action. We've kind of reached the point where the super strong stuff really isn't worth the time to train unless you feel like breaking the game. But in all honestly everything is kind of a mystery so anyone's guess is as good as mine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Marcello: I've actually looked back at some of the older reborn episodes and it's amazing how much better graphically (and gameplay wise) each episode gets.

Which episode do you think trading and multiplayer battles will be added? I'm really curious about how that would all work too.

Um, that's assuming it does become implemented, as I don't know if the engine supports multiplayer play.

Well, there's always the Trading thread if you're looking for trading, and the Reborn Showdown chat if you want battles, but those are outside the game itself.

• Administrators

I make no promises either way.

No multi-Megas. We might see Mega+Pulse though. That's also not a promise.

And Ame can back me up when I say:

You have no idea how long it took to make reflections look not shit.

an' we ain't even done yet

@Marcello: I've actually looked back at some of the older reborn episodes and it's amazing how much better graphically (and gameplay wise) each episode gets.

i found Episode 1 recently.

im kind of afraid to even look.

Which episode do you think trading and multiplayer battles will be added? I'm really curious about how that would all work too.

So hahaha uh funny story about that we almost had multiplayer completely functional aaaaaand then the person who had been working on that before dropped off of the face of the planet and took all their code with them. literally no clue what even happened but im punching myself for not requesting a commit sooner.

so basically Marcello is starting from scratch on it and it will probably be a while again.

Seems to be a common theme for this post, but we can't realisitically give a predicted release timing for it. Definitely not 16 though. That said, it is totally possible.

--

so i finished apophyll, i guess.

idk, it's weird.

which means eventing is done.

that's also weird.

we're at 80%. i'll post a field effect like, whenever i feel like it.

I'm going to take a short break because I've been pushing myself + I have some misc stuff piling up to take care of. Also, sidequests tend to burn me out and my current list of sidequest ideas (some small, some very not) is around 50 lines long (will probably be boiled down). Save any hype for after I finish those.