[Spoilers] E16 Status Discussion

Amethyst

honestly, i think the pronoun talk was a tad bit forced into the game too. it is needed but i saw some players who've never heard of 'non-binary' people couldn't stand the 'xe, xem, xhr' pronouns when used in the convo dialogue. it takes some time getting used to. i know.

and to be honest, i thought the pronouns for non-binary individuals were 'they, them, their". i had never once heard of the word "xe" ever in my life.

Am I the only one that found the pronoun talk rather natural?

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one that found the pronoun talk rather natural?

Yeah, I agree - though I feel like the writing in that part could have been maybe a bit smoother, I think the main reason people found it forced was just 'cause they were not very (or at all) familiar with non-binary pronouns/individuals. And they/them is more common as a gender neutral pronoun from what I know, but in-game the player character is always referred to as they/them regardless of if they chose the male or female character. Perhaps that's why the xe/xem pronouns are used for the game's non-binary characters. (That and, the leaders are based on the online league, so I'm assuming Adrienn uses xe/xem pronouns and the game kept true to that).

Interestingly, the non-binary protag option gets xe/xem pronouns, and I'm wondering if (hoping) before the game is finished the pronouns are fixed to he/him for the male character and she/her for the female.

and to be honest, i thought the pronouns for non-binary individuals were 'they, them, their". i had never once heard of the word "xe" ever in my life.

I think part of the reason why the "xe, xem, xyr" pronouns were created is because "they, them, their" is ambiguous in that it either can refer to a single non-binary person, or a group of people.

An example: "I encountered Adrienn with a group of friends at the Department Store, and they greeted me warmly."

Am I being greeted by Adrienn, Adrienn's group of friends, or both? THE WORLD WILL NEVER KNOW

Yeah, I didn't mind the pronoun talk at all and I think it is important as it distinguishes between the plural and singular as Foamy said.

However given how many people seem to hate it it is possible it should become optional to listen to it. I don't really buy the people don't understand how to use them properly therefore they shouldn't exist thing. We could pick up he, him, his at such an early age that by now it shouldn't really be too difficult to learn three pronouns.

However given how many people seem to hate it it is possible it should become optional to listen to it. I don't really buy the people don't understand how to use them properly therefore they shouldn't exist thing. We could pick up he, him, his at such an early age that by now it shouldn't really be too difficult to learn three pronouns.

Are people actually saying stuff like that? I found the pronouns confusing at first, but I didn't mind.

Not so much anymore but if you look at the Adrienn announcement thread it is littered with people saying things like "it is too difficult. I'll just call xym a they sometimes even a she or he.

Most people have gotten over that now but you still will find it quite rarely. I don't have a problem with people being confused but I do have a problem with people saying that they will never understand it.

Anyway- not a big issue these days.

Lol people were actually tripping about the xe/xyr thing? It was pretty weird sounding and admittedly that part was kind of tumblrish but at the same time it kind of fleshes out adrienne a bit too. Though I was surprised Cain was so U A GIRL OR GUY LOLZ since that's a bit rude to ask in real life, though I guess he said sorry before asking it.

I don't really buy the people don't understand how to use them properly therefore they shouldn't exist thing. We could pick up he, him, his at such an early age that by now it shouldn't really be too difficult to learn three pronouns.

people do that?? yeesh.

another one of my mutuals told me they disliked it because it was 'unrealistic'. at first i didn't know what he meant but apparently when the dialogue between Radomus, Cain, and Gardevoir, (the one where Adrienn runs off) he found it strange that Cain immediately get the hang of the pronouns, despite just learning about it, no stuttering or anything. he said they could've pulled it off a bit better.

OMG I just looked back and read the adrienne reveal thread...man.

"THESE PRONOUNS 2 HAWD"

"JUST NOTHER WHITE GURL"

"UGH FUCK DIVERSITY"

"GERMANY MASTAH RACE"

"DUDE NAZIS NOT FUNNY KAY"

"DOGE"

Like omg this site fell victim to the early 2010s global surge in Internet stupidity didn't it? In fact it sounds like this site had some serious drama and a dark age of its own some years back. It's quite fascinating. But wow Ame has been doing game design for like it would be 10 years now, no? Much respect.

Like omg this site fell victim to the early 2010s global surge in Internet stupidity didn't it? In fact it sounds like this site had some serious drama and a dark age of its own some years back. It's quite fascinating. But wow Ame has been doing game design for like it would be 10 years now, no? Much respect.

There was never a "surge" of internet stupidity. The internet is basically all stupidity and insanity. It's just a particularly bad brand of stupidity migrated out of the internet's biggest cesspools and made itself more well known.

There was never a "surge" of internet stupidity. The internet is basically all stupidity and insanity. It's just a particularly bad brand of stupidity migrated out of the internet's biggest cesspools and made itself more well known.

You probably shouldn't read the YouTube comments section. It's a cesspool for internet idiots.

2010 was a dark year.... Except HGSS came out. That was cool. Also I totally forgot what we're speculating now. Pronouns?

Yep, we got onto the pronouns while discussing Adrienn.

I'm personally hoping we'll get to see Victoria (properly), Adrienn, Luna, Radomus and Shade again. As well as getting more of Rini and Julia. We might get to see Serra but I've never really cared for her.

Luna and Radomus coming back would be great!

I'm personally hoping we'll get to see Victoria (properly), Adrienn, Luna, Radomus and Shade again. As well as getting more of Rini and Julia. We might get to see Serra but I've never really cared for her.

It'll be interesting to see how Victoria has dealt with Kiki's death and how Adrienn has changed the city. It would be a shame if all xyr hard work is for nothing, given the teaser.

I didn't particularly care for Serra either. Compared to most of the other characters, she's easily forgotten. She's well written though, as a woman who had it all and then had to give it up. We might get to see her again, as Bennett's on a questionable path.

Seeing Victoria is pretty likely, considering we saw her in the city while going down/up the cascade.

I really hope we see more of Serra too. Her character is too detailed to not be really seen by everyone.

Serra will most likely come back, given that interview we saw in Ep15 about he going mad about Bennett. Watch as stuff happens.

Also, I've heard that Bennett x Laura was a thing in the ancient league times.

new ship maybe? hue

SERRA NEEDS TO RETURN!!! She's the only character that hasn't made a reappearance yet, and it would be nice to see more of her involved in the Bennett conflict.

Victoria's probably returning, but honestly I didn't like her all that much. Kept getting in the way.... And Serra returning? I still have nightmares about Serra. I don't think that'll be ep16 though. We're more likely to see the gym leaders inside the City in 16.

• Administrators

I really hope we get more of Adrienn as xe is one of my favourite characters at the moment (I know some people hate her for her pronoun talks).

her? c'mon now.

Anyway since the concept's been introduced at this point I didn't mind trimming it down, which happened with the previous dialogue sweep.

http://prntscr.com/82mclm

I don't think it was a surge so much as just a fairly average site back then. Our rules weren't so clean or well-enforced (in part because myself and my girlfriend at the time were the sole staff for a while), and I also was not quite as informed as I should have been. Like all things, it's improved over time, and will continue to do so.

And I've been working with RPG Maker for 12 years now, though I had been using other programs for a few years before that as well.

...Not very well, of course, since I was like 8, but, whatevs.

The only logical characters that we've met that might be a part of Team Meteor are basically the entire/part of the circus crew. Samson and Ciel could have easily been disguising Terra's behavior the whole time and only played along strategically when she went into the computer and stuff, knowing that the effects of turning it off wouldn't have deleted Terra. The Ferris Wheel might be connected to where the Agate sleepy sleepy PULSE is and it might be closed because the Ringmaster ordered it to be so. It would seem logical that they all colluded to trap the player and a bunch of the gym leaders beyond Agate Circus so they couldn't impede any progress of whatever they've been cooking in Reborn City since we left (likely to be explored in E16). Or maybe I'm just crazy.

That seems like an interesting (though unlikely) theory. The only part that's not plausible is the Ringmaster being in on it, why have your circus turned into a shelter for the people of Agate if you're the one who put them to sleep in the first place? I do however think that you're right about the PULSE being around the ferris wheel it's the only logical spot for it to be, unless it's actually some where in the city. Terra probably broke the ferris wheel to keep people away from the PULSE.

That seems like an interesting (though unlikely) theory. The only part that's not plausible is the Ringmaster being in on it, why have your circus turned into a shelter for the people of Agate if you're the one who put them to sleep in the first place? I do however think that you're right about the PULSE being around the ferris wheel it's the only logical spot for it to be, unless it's actually some where in the city. Terra probably broke the ferris wheel to keep people away from the PULSE.

I know it's unlikely but when I thought of it it was just like.... Woah. To answer your question, perhaps the Ringmaster realized that the business was going down so they went along with it? Multiple NPC's talk about how they're stuck consuming product at the circus instead of going home, so in the end, might not hurt them too much on the business side.

I don't mind the binary pronouns despite my distaste towards it. Amethyst doesn't cram it down your throat and it's her game so it's her choice how to do characters.

What I think should be changed, is when you pick a girl or a boy you are still called "they" by characters in the game. Which is something rejuvination does too.

It's a little jarring to not be called he or she when you pick that gender.

I know it's unlikely but when I thought of it it was just like.... Woah. To answer your question, perhaps the Ringmaster realized that the business was going down so they went along with it? Multiple NPC's talk about how they're stuck consuming product at the circus instead of going home, so in the end, might not hurt them too much on the business side.

So if its all just a huge hoax, how do we bring that to the light? One of the main characters overhears a convo b/w the ringmaster and one of the performers? Then what, we fight to save all of Agate's citizens or do they just let them go? Team meteor isn't the most forgiving group.

I don't mind the binary pronouns despite my distaste towards it. Amethyst doesn't cram it down your throat and it's her game so it's her choice how to do characters.

What I think should be changed, is when you pick a girl or a boy you are still called "they" by characters in the game. Which is something rejuvination does too.

It's a little jarring to not be called he or she when you pick that gender.

A lot of fan games do it. It's probably possible to code it in, but it would be tedious I think.

So if its all just a huge hoax, how do we bring that to the light? One of the main characters overhears a convo b/w the ringmaster and one of the performers? Then what, we fight to save all of Agate's citizens or do they just let them go? Team meteor isn't the most forgiving group.

They aren't forgiving, but they're probably after something. Once they get it they'll leave. They wouldn't have reason to be there anymore. As for what happens with the citizens... That depends on who's in charge/ leading the operation. If someone like Taka or Solaris, they'll most likely live. If it's Lin or Sirius...R.I.P.