Gym Leader Help Thread

Jan

Aside from Lanturn, electric moves should demolish her team. Unless she has wishcash, which she might. Also jumpluff, if it's still in the game. I don't have the field effect guide in front of me, but if you can change her field you can ruin her.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case you guys aren't aware, Valarie's Lanturn doesn't have Volt Absorb. But don't quote me on that.

Most of the NPCs abilities (and a few other things like the genders of their pokemon) are actually randomized and can change between different attempts - I'm not sure if the Lanturn in particular is randomized, but I've definitely noticed that some pokemon like Ren's Frogadier/Greninja 'sometimes' being Protean but not always.

Yep, Valerie's Lanturn always has Water Absorb, her Lanturn is still very relevant as it is the second Pokémon she sends (in my case) so it has the field + the rain.

And Nim doesn't teleport you anymore, so.. this is what i have in my PC and team:

Blaziken, Noivern, Jellicent, Manetric, Makuhita, Noctowl, Happiny, Litleo, Houndour, Growlithe, Zigzagoon, Quagsire, Mime Jr.

Any ideas?

Yep, Valerie's Lanturn always has Water Absorb, her Lanturn is still very relevant as it is the second Pokémon she sends (in my case) so it has the field + the rain.

And Nim doesn't teleport you anymore, so.. this is what i have in my PC and team:

Blaziken, Noivern, Jellicent, Manetric, Makuhita, Noctowl, Happiny, Litleo, Houndour, Growlithe, Zigzagoon, Quagsire, Mime Jr.

Any ideas?

hmm I think you could do it with the right abilities. Does Quag or Jeli have water absorb?

No.. but they could.. the thing is her Lanturn, not of them will do as Lanturn OHKOs Jellicent and Quagsire has nothing to touch it as ground-type moves can't be used.

Darn Jan, you overdid it a little lol

Update: Jellicent is the REAL MVP!

Edited by Toufu Survivor

I'm having some issues with Marianette, so if there's any advice on how to beat her, I'd appreciate it. ^^;;

Team:

-Delphox/Level 35/Magician/Docile Nature
Mystical Fire
Psyshock
Flame Charge
Light Screen

-Pangoro/Level 35/Scrappy/Impish Nature
Vital Throw
Work Up
Karate Chop
Body Slam

-Manectric/Level 33/Static/Modest Nature
Discharge
Thunder Fang
Thunder Wave
Bite

-Duskull/Level 35/Levitate/Hasty Nature
Curse
Will O Wisp
Shadow Sneak
Ominous Wind

-Hariyama/Level 35/Guts/Bold Nature
Fake Out
Force Palm
Belly Drum
Knock Off

-Palpitoad/Level 30/Hydration/Naughty Nature
Muddy Water
Aqua Ring
Uproar
Bounce

In the PC:

Swoobat/Level 30/Unaware/Docile Nature
Heart Stamp
Air Cutter
Attract
Calm Mind

Floatzel/Level 27/Water Veil/Jolly Nature
Sonicboom
Aqua Jet
Pursuit
Swift

Nidorino/Level 30/Poison Point/Rash Nature
Poison Sweep
Rock Smash
Horn Attack
Focus Energy

Fearow/Level 29/Sniper/Gentle Nature
Aerial Ace
Pursuit
Mirror Move
Agility

Tangela/Level 26/Regenerator/Serious Nature
Poison Powder
Wild Charge
Growth
Mega Drain

Pokemon Eligible to Train:

Seel/Level 10/Thick Fat/ Modest Nature
Lillipup/Level 18/Vital Spirit/ Naughty Nature
Deerling/Level 17/Chlorophyll/ Docile Nature
Bunnelby/Level 12/Cheek Pouch/ Brave Nature
Bonsly/Level 22/ Rock Head/ Naughty Nature
Gothita/Level 20/Shadow Tag/ Bashful Nature
Loudred/Level 20/Scrappy/ Modest Nature
Houndour/Level 15/Flash Fire/ Modest

Edited by Octy

I'm having some issues with Marianette, so if there's any advice on how to beat her, I'd appreciate it. ^^;;

Team:

-Delphox/Level 35/Magician/Docile Nature

Mystical Fire

Psyshock

Flame Charge

Light Screen

-Pangoro/Level 35/Scrappy/Impish Nature

Vital Throw

Work Up

Karate Chop

Body Slam

-Manectric/Level 33/Static/Modest Nature

Discharge

Thunder Fang

Thunder Wave

Bite

-Duskull/Level 35/Levitate/Hasty Nature

Curse

Will O Wisp

Shadow Sneak

Ominous Wind

-Hariyama/Level 35/Guts/Bold Nature

Fake Out

Force Palm

Belly Drum

Knock Off

-Palpitoad/Level 30/Hydration/Naughty Nature

Muddy Water

Aqua Ring

Uproar

Bounce

In the PC:

Swoobat/Level 30/Unaware/Docile Nature

Heart Stamp

Air Cutter

Attract

Calm Mind

Floatzel/Level 27/Water Veil/Jolly Nature

Sonicboom

Aqua Jet

Pursuit

Swift

Nidorino/Level 30/Poison Point/Rash Nature

Poison Sweep

Rock Smash

Horn Attack

Focus Energy

Fearow/Level 29/Sniper/Gentle Nature

Aerial Ace

Pursuit

Mirror Move

Agility

Tangela/Level 26/Regenerator/Serious Nature

Poison Powder

Wild Charge

Growth

Mega Drain

Pokemon Eligible to Train:

Seel/Level 10/Thick Fat/ Modest Nature

Lillipup/Level 18/Vital Spirit/ Naughty Nature

Deerling/Level 17/Chlorophyll/ Docile Nature

Bunnelby/Level 12/Cheek Pouch/ Brave Nature

Bonsly/Level 22/ Rock Head/ Naughty Nature

Gothita/Level 20/Shadow Tag/ Bashful Nature

Loudred/Level 20/Scrappy/ Modest Nature

Houndour/Level 15/Flash Fire/ Modest

hmm your team looks good, not sure where the problems are coming from lol, but i'd suggest to first evolve duskull. It evolves at lv 37, use 2 reverse candies so you can have a Lv 35 Dusclops, It'll be much bulkier and it'll be able to Will-o-wisp her annoying physical attackers like Cinccino and Slaking. Also the move Curse gets rid of her field effect. If you feel like you don't have enough power you could always add another fighting type to your team. Jan left us a little gift in the grass area inside the mansion. I found a tyrouge there, evolved into Hitmonlee and it helped me out tons. If this doesnt help, could you tell me exactly where the problem lies, like which of her pokemon give you the most trouble, it'll be easier to help.

hmm your team looks good, not sure where the problems are coming from lol, but i'd suggest to first evolve duskull. It evolves at lv 37, use 2 reverse candies so you can have a Lv 35 Dusclops, It'll be much bulkier and it'll be able to Will-o-wisp her annoying physical attackers like Cinccino and Slaking. Also the move Curse gets rid of her field effect. If you feel like you don't have enough power you could always add another fighting type to your team. Jan left us a little gift in the grass area inside the mansion. I found a tyrouge there, evolved into Hitmonlee and it helped me out tons. If this doesnt help, could you tell me exactly where the problem lies, like which of her pokemon give you the most trouble, it'll be easier to help.

It's her Porygon 2 that gives me such issues. ^^;;

• 2 weeks later...

Amber is being a bit troublesome.

L54 Gardevoir

Nature:Quirky | Ability:Telepathy

@TwistedSpoon

Psychic

Shadow Ball

Draining Kiss

Calm Mind

L58 Greninja

Nature:Brave | Ability:Torrent

@Mystic Water

Surf

Smack Down

Extrassensory

Stacking Shot

L57 Houndoom

Nature:Naughty | Ability:Unnerve

@Amulet Coin

Magma Drift

Flamethrower

Shadow Ball

Crunch

L58 Ampharos

Nature:Quiet | Ability:Static

@Quick Claw

Light Screen

Confuse Ray

Discharge

Power Gem

L58 Crobat

Nature:Serious | Ability: Infiltrator

(no item)

Acrobatics

Cross Poison

Bite

Confuse Ray

L58 Roserade

Nature:Impish | Ability:Technician

@Poison Barb

Sludge Bomb

Giga Drain

Petal Dance

Toxic

TMs that I have right now: Hone Claws, Roar, Bulk Up, Rain Dance, Frustration, Smack Down, Shadow Ball, Dig, Double Team, Sludge Wave, Sludge Bomb, Façade, Charge Beam, Incinerate, Shadow Claw, Quash, Flash, X-Scissor, Grass Knot, Rock Climb, Poison Sweep, Stacking Shot, Douse, Magma Drift, Cut, Surf

Other Pokémon I have that could be potentially useful, although if at all possible I would like to use my original team:

L56 Misdreavus (Perish Song is a godsend, I also have a Dusk Stone if I want to evolve it)

L45 Camerupt (Earthquake I get at L46 along with Telepathy)

L50 Swoobat (Simple Calm Mind is fabulous)

A quick note is that I have all the purified Shadow Pokémon up to this point from V6.

Any held item locations and TM locations that might help would be greatly appreciated. <3

Edited by TheWaddleDee

Amber is being a bit troublesome.

[Regal] L54 Gardevoir

Nature:Quirky | Ability:Telepathy

@TwistedSpoon

Psychic

Shadow Ball

Draining Kiss

Calm Mind

[Ninjitsu] L58 Greninja

Nature:Brave | Ability:Torrent

@Mystic Water

Surf

Smack Down

Extrassensory

Stacking Shot

[Flare] L57 Houndoom

Nature:Naughty | Ability:Unnerve

@Amulet Coin

Magma Drift

Flamethrower

Shadow Ball

Crunch

[static] L58 Ampharos

Nature:Quiet | Ability:Static

@Quick Claw

Light Screen

Confuse Ray

Discharge

Power Gem

[skyline] L58 Crobat

Nature:Serious | Ability: Infiltrator

(no item)

Acrobatics

Cross Poison

Bite

Confuse Ray

[blossom] L58 Roserade

Nature:Impish | Ability:Technician

@Poison Barb

Sludge Bomb

Giga Drain

Petal Dance

Toxic

TMs that I have right now: Hone Claws, Roar, Rain Dance, Frustration, Smack Down, Shadow Ball,

Double Team, Sludge Wave, Sludge Bomb, Façade, Charge Beam, Incinerate, Shadow Claw, Flash, X-Scissor, Grass Knot, Rock Climb, Poison Sweep, Stacking Shot, Magma Drift, Cut, Surf

Other Pokémon I have that could be potentially useful, although if at all possible I would like to use my original team:

L56 Misdreavus (Perish Song is a godsend, I also have a Dusk Stone if I want to evolve it)

L45 Camerupt (Earthquake I get at L46 along with Telepathy)

L50 Swoobat (Simple Calm Mind is fabulous)

A quick note is that I have all the purified Shadow Pokémon up to this point from V6.

Any held item locations and TM locations that might help would be greatly appreciated. <3

Here's the cheesiest way I've found to beat her:

Get a Ludicolo and Cradily first - you can find a Lombre in Wispy Path, in the pond at morning (bring a Gourmet Treat with you), and you can find Root Fossils inside mining rocks, and revive said fossils in Akuwa Town.

The moveset I used with Ludicolo was Surf, Giga Drain (breeded via a Roselia), Water Sport and Rain Dance (was also holding a Damp Rock). For Cradily, I had Ancient Power, Giga Drain, Stockpile and Confuse Ray (was holding a Hard Stone).

Make sure Ludicolo has Swift Swim and Cradily has Storm Drain. After that, lead the battle against Amber with that duo. Though Ninetails and Charizard outspeed both Ludicolo and Cradily, Ludicolo will survive atleast one turn to set up Rain Dance (provided he isn't double teamed on). After setting up Rain Dance for the next 7 turns, you'll now go first because of Rain Dance - use this to set up Water Sport. Congratulations - Fire-type damage is now non-existant. Just spam Surf and Ancient Power from there on and it should be easy.

By the way, where'd you get the TMs for Sludge Wave and Sludge Bomb? I haven't found those yet, and I'd like to know if possible.

Well I used totally different Pokemons but they mighy help you.. Male Meowstic w/Prankster, the fusion of Solrock and Lunatone, a Pokemon w/Surf and 3 Pokemons you like, you can get all of them prior to the fight.

Use Light Screen w/ Meowstic and Surf w/ the surfing Pokemon so you lower their accuracy, once Meowstic faints send Solrock and sweep w/ Cosmic Power x6 (healing when needed and using revive on Meowstic if you can) after that its all easy, eventually the sun will fade and you can bulldoze everything she has..

PD: One of the Sludge TM is in the corrupted cave can't remember which exactly..

Edited by Mosmer

Well, I just beat her with Telepathy Gardevoir and Rain Dance Greninja, with Surf spam and Psychic cleaning up anything that lives with a very scant amount of HP.

Sludge Bomb: Purity Forest. Use Rock Climb to climb to Purity Cove.

Sludge Wave: Corrupted Cave, B1. I think. Needs Magma Drift; upper left hand corner.

Well, I just beat her with Telepathy Gardevoir and Rain Dance Greninja, with Surf spam and Psychic cleaning up anything that lives with a very scant amount of HP.

Sludge Bomb: Purity Forest. Use Rock Climb to climb to Purity Cove.

Sludge Wave: Corrupted Cave, B1. I think. Needs Magma Drift; upper left hand corner.

Ah, I see. Thank you! I'm glad you got to defeat her.

Where do you get stacking shot tm?

This is the wrong place to ask, but Keta gives it to you. If you beat Keta in v5 or older and got Bulk Up instead, then go to Goldenleaf Forest, and Surf in a small lake until you reach the TM.

ARGHHHH I feel like I've tried everything! But I can't beat Marianette no matter what I do! TT~TT plz halp ty

My team is:

Venusaur | 33 | @Berry Juice

Overgrow | Mild

- Sleep Powder

- Poison Powder

- Leech Seed

- Petal Dance

Xatu | 34 | @Berry Juice

Magic Bounce | Gentle

- Confuse Ray

- Wish

- Air Slash

- Psychic

Vivillon | 33 | @Berry Juice

Compound Eyes | Naive

- Stun Spore

- Struggle Bug

- Draining Kiss

- Aromatherapy

Torkoal | 33 | @Berry Juice

White Smoke | Bold

- Lava Plume

- Water Pulse

- Body Slam (to be replaced with Flamethrower when I inevitably level up during the battle, I just don't want to risk overleveling since she is my win condition for Slaking and I need Lava Plume for the Burn Chance on Cincinno)

- Protect

Zebstrika | 33 | @Berry Juice

Sap Sipper | Naive

- Thunder Wave

- Spark

- Flame Charge

- Pursuit

Mightyena | 33 | @Berry Juice

Intimidate | Naughty

- Bite

- Assurance

- Swagger

- Rock Smash

I'm definitely going to be replacing Vivillon with Tympole once I purify it, because that thing is dead weight. It can't outspeed anything and dies to everything. Happiny in the gardens would be a godsend, but I have no idea where to get the Oval Stone, if one even exists yet. My chance of surviving Mincinno depend entirely on whether or not I can burn it, and it leaves Torkoal damaged. Porygon2 is the worst, though. It's bulky and powerful and nothing can take a hit except Venusaur, and only if the AI is dumb and uses Tri Attack instead of Psyshock, and only I'm at full health, and ONLY if Sleep Powder hits the first run and ONLY if it doesn't wake up too quickly. I'd like to use Zebstrika to paralyze it, but more often than not it is sacked off due to an inopportune U-Turn from Mincinno. Mightyena is only there to stave off Pyroar with minimal damage to Torkoal, but like I said there'll be Tympole to do that and better, making Mightyena worthless. I have an Electrode in the box, but it's just as bad as Zebstrika, only without Thunder Wave. I have nothing significant in my box that isn't outclassed by someone I already have on the team or just plain bad.

Essentially, I am outpowered, outsped, and only have three Pokemon. Can anyone please tell me what I can do to better my odds? D:

Edited by BreezyPonie

ARGHHHH I feel like I've tried everything! But I can't beat Marianette no matter what I do! TT~TT plz halp ty

My team is:

Overgrow | Mild

- Sleep Powder

- Poison Powder

- Leech Seed

- Petal Dance

Xatu | 34 | @Berry Juice

Magic Bounce | Gentle

- Confuse Ray

- Wish

- Air Slash

- Psychic

Compound Eyes | Naive

- Stun Spore

- Struggle Bug

- Draining Kiss

- Aromatherapy

White Smoke | Bold

- Lava Plume

- Water Pulse

- Body Slam (to be replaced with Flamethrower when I inevitably level up during the battle, I just don't want to risk overleveling since she is my win condition for Slaking and I need Lava Plume for the Burn Chance on Cincinno)

- Protect

Sap Sipper | Naive

- Thunder Wave

- Spark

- Flame Charge

- Pursuit

Intimidate | Naughty

- Bite

- Assurance

- Swagger

- Rock Smash

I'm definitely going to be replacing Vivillon with Tympole once I purify it, because that thing is dead weight. It can't outspeed anything and dies to everything. Happiny in the gardens would be a godsend, but I have no idea where to get the Oval Stone, if one even exists yet. My chance of surviving Mincinno depend entirely on whether or not I can burn it, and it leaves Torkoal damaged. Porygon2 is the worst, though. It's bulky and powerful and nothing can take a hit except Venusaur, and only if the AI is dumb and uses Tri Attack instead of Psyshock, and only I'm at full health, and ONLY if Sleep Powder hits the first run and ONLY if it doesn't wake up too quickly. I'd like to use Zebstrika to paralyze it, but more often than not it is sacked off due to an inopportune U-Turn from Mincinno. Mightyena is only there to stave off Pyroar with minimal damage to Torkoal, but like I said there'll be Tympole to do that and better, making Mightyena worthless. I have an Electrode in the box, but it's just as bad as Zebstrika, only without Thunder Wave. I have nothing significant in my box that isn't outclassed by someone I already have on the team or just plain bad.

Essentially, I am outpowered, outsped, and only have three Pokemon. Can anyone please tell me what I can do to better my odds? D:

hmmm... did you catch a Makuhita in Sheridan? Hariyama is a beast in here (except against Porygon2... this is her true ace in my oppinion)

you can catch a Tyrogue there which at level 18-20, and convenyently will evolve at level 20! However it is extremely rare.

or you could try using a Dunsparce (the field is full of this little f-tards)... try to get one with Serene grace

They can learn Yamn (for sleep) and Glare (for Paralysis), let it learn Rock Smash... (to think I would say this... with Serene Grace the Defence lowering part will come in handy) and it learns Roost

Oval Stones are sadly only gotton through mining... at least I didn't find any lying around

My team is:

Overgrow | Mild

- Sleep Powder

- Poison Powder

- Leech Seed

- Petal Dance

Xatu | 34 | @Berry Juice

Magic Bounce | Gentle

- Confuse Ray

- Wish

- Air Slash

- Psychic

Compound Eyes | Naive

- Stun Spore

- Struggle Bug

- Draining Kiss

- Aromatherapy

White Smoke | Bold

- Lava Plume

- Water Pulse

- Protect

Sap Sipper | Naive

- Thunder Wave

- Spark

- Flame Charge

- Pursuit

Intimidate | Naughty

- Bite

- Assurance

- Swagger

- Rock Smash

What pokemon have you caught so far? Maybe we can find something through those or else you could try to look for other pokemnon and deffinitely a fighting type. Also, a graveler wouldn't be a bad addition, it is tanky on defense and has high dmg as well as being a swellow counter.

hmmm... did you catch a Makuhita in Sheridan? Hariyama is a beast in here (except against Porygon2... this is her true ace in my oppinion)

you can catch a Tyrogue there which at level 18-20, and convenyently will evolve at level 20! However it is extremely rare.

or you could try using a Dunsparce (the field is full of this little f-tards)... try to get one with Serene grace

They can learn Yamn (for sleep) and Glare (for Paralysis), let it learn Rock Smash... (to think I would say this... with Serene Grace the Defence lowering part will come in handy) and it learns Roost

Oval Stones are sadly only gotton through mining... at least I didn't find any lying around

You can steal the Oval Stones from Happiny in Amethyst Grotto.

Troublesome!? Amber's a Class-A scumbag!

My Team:

Vesuvius (Camerupt) | 55 | No Item

Ability: Solid Rock

- Magma Drift

- Rock Slide

- Yawn

- Earthquake

Diane (Claydol) | 52 | No Item

Levitate

- Extrasensory

- Sandstorm

- Smack Down

- Earth Power

Tamantha (Hariyama)| 56 | Sitrus Berry

Guts

- Close Combat

- Heavy Slam

- Knock Off

- Wirlwind

ElizabethIII (Empoleon) | 56 | No Item

Defiant

- Metal Claw

- Surf

- Cut

- Drill Peck

Vincent (Ampharos)| 58 | Quick Claw

Plus

- Thunder Wave

- Discharge

- Cotton Guard

- Power Gem

Kurogane (Greninja) | 58 | Stone Plate (Will Replace!)

Protean

- Thief

- Surf

- Smack Down

- Extrasensory

I tried the rock and ground approach until I learned that the field fucks 'em with the Fire sub-type that they get and her Ninetails and Typhlosion decimates most of my team. Any advice on this matter?