Gym Leader Help Thread

Jan

I swear this is becoming more and more impossible by the day, its like someone opened a book on competitive sets and plastered them in this games gyms.

I am stuck on the normal gym, Marianettes pokemon just deal way to much damage and are too fast, none of my pokemon can survive a hit and my only hope to defeat some of them is Quick Claw.

A nerf to some of the gyms would be nice in the future versions, this is way harder than Reborn ever was, some of the gyms here feel genuenly impossible while in Reborn every gym felt possible to beat.

Anyway, my team is:

Mr Mime lvl 31

Meditite lvl 34

Roselia lvl 33

Marshtomp lvl 32

Bidoof lvl 32

And the Gothita i just picked up at lvl 20.

I think my team right now is pretty good and diverse, but when competitive sets are put on a single player game like Toxic Orb Facade swellow? Wtf?

This is getting annoying pretty fast currently, im starting to get tired of this, reborn felt like a good challenge, this feels like an annoying and frustrating challenge, an option to change difficulty in the options would be nice in situations like these.

Edited by Nhadala

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear this is becoming more and more impossible by the day, its like someone opened a book on competitive sets and plastered them in this games gyms.

I am stuck on the normal gym, Marianettes pokemon just deal way to much damage and are too fast, none of my pokemon can survive a hit and my only hope to defeat some of them is Quick Claw.

A nerf to some of the gyms would be nice in the future versions, this is way harder than Reborn ever was, some of the gyms here feel genuenly impossible while in Reborn every gym felt possible to beat.

Anyway, my team is:

Mr Mime lvl 31

Meditite lvl 34

Roselia lvl 33

Marshtomp lvl 32

Bidoof lvl 32

And the Gothita i just picked up at lvl 20.

I think my team right now is pretty good and diverse, but when competitive sets are put on a single player game like Toxic Orb Facade swellow? Wtf?

This is getting annoying pretty fast currently, im starting to get tired of this, reborn felt like a good challenge, this feels like an annoying and frustrating challenge, an option to change difficulty in the options would be nice in situations like these.

The first thing I would suggest is to start grinding. The level cap for this gym is 35 so take some time to grind your pokes up. Secondly, I would also suggest evolving your Marshtomp into swampert, to avoid your pokemon not listening to you just use a reverse candy and you will have a Lv 35 Swampert. At this point in the game it is time to start replacing some pokemon on your team, right now your team isnt ready to combat future battles. I would advise you to drop Mr.Mime because it sucks lol, I know from experience and evolve Bidoof, while it may be an Hm slave an extra pokemon is always helpful. In the deep sewers there are Arkbok and Mightyena and they have Intimidate, so the ability could be useful for those powerful normal types, but the main pokemon I would suggest from the deep sewers is Koffing, it evolves into Weezing at Lv 35 so its perfect and it learns Sludge bomb which is pretty strong right at this stage in the game. And I'm not sure why you didn't pick up a Tyrouge or Makuhita from Sheridan Village already, with the TM Bulk Up this gym is pretty easy.

Meditite and Roselia are frail and pretty slow, I'm not gonna ask you to drop them becuase once they evolve they become good pokemon, but for this battle they will be pretty useless. And the best place to grind right now is the Breeder trainer right before you enter Amethyst cave on Route 2. Good luck

Yeah the Bidoof is evolved, i screwed up the name.

If you can do that with Swampert why shouldnt i also do it with Meditite? A friend gave me that idea, i used an overleveled marshtomp(lvl 21) during the first gym and the Ignore Orders thing didnt even seem to work properly(it said ignore orders, but the attack went through anyway) but ill still do the reverse candy thing just in case.

Anyway where do you get reverse candies again? I forgot.

I hate Makuhita and Tyrogue as pokemon(i hate their looks) thats why i didnt pick up either, Meditite i like a lot, Medicham i can tolerate.

Weezing i also dont like the looks of, ill only catch it as a last resort.

Edited by Nhadala

Yeah the Bidoof is evolved, i screwed up the name.

If you can do that with Swampert why shouldnt i also do it with Meditite? A friend gave me that idea, i used an overleveled marshtomp(lvl 21) during the first gym and the Ignore Orders thing didnt even seem to work properly(it said ignore orders, but the attack went through anyway) but ill still do the reverse candy thing just in case.

Anyway where do you get reverse candies again? I forgot.

I hate Makuhita and Tyrogue as pokemon(i hate their looks) thats why i didnt pick up either, Meditite i like a lot, Medicham i can tolerate.

Weezing i also dont like the looks of, ill only catch it as a last resort.

Well you can get Medicham at Lv 37, didnt think you'd want to spend too much time training, but it is an option. Also reverse candies are in Sheridan Village for 200, they are sold beside the pokemart guy

I had a rare candy leftover.

Anyway thanks, your idea really helped me out, ill also train the rest of the pokemon i got and i ditched Mr.Mime.

Should i also train up Gothita? I made sure she had high IVs before i picked her up so she should help in her 2nd evolved form.

I had a rare candy leftover.

Anyway thanks, your idea really helped me out, ill also train the rest of the pokemon i got and i ditched Mr.Mime.

Should i also train up Gothita? I made sure she had high IVs before i picked her up so she should help in her 2nd evolved form.

Are you playing on Intense? I have full guides for each boss on how to beat them, but if you are this frustrated with just the Normal gym the next few are going to be WAY harder for you. Might be worth your investment just to start over on the lower difficulty. This game is only as equitable challenge as you are willing to make it.

If you approach every gym and every pokemon in it like a puzzle you will have much better success.

But if you don't think outside of the box you'll never overcome the challenge.

This isn't a game meant to be beaten in a day.

I can't beat valerie, i get to milotic and then it out speeds everything i've got and almost OK

--Your current team--
[Ampharos] | [44]
[No item]
[static]
[bashful]
- Power Gem
- Discharge
- Thunder Wave
- Confuse Ray

--Your current team--
[Gothitelle] | [43]
[TwistedSpoon]
[Competitive]
[Hasty]
- Psychic
- Psybeam
- Psyshock
- Faint attack

--Your current team--
[Charizard] | [44]
[Quick Claw]
[blaze]
[Quiet]
- Wing Attack
- Slash
- Flame Burst
- Fire Fang

--Your current team--
[Honchkrow] | [42]
[spell tag]
[super Luck]
[Adamant]
- Wing Attack
- Night Shade
- Assurance
- Feint Attack

--Your current team--
[Pangoro] | [44]
[black Belt]
[scrappy]
[Timid]
- Body Slam
- Crunch
- Circle Throw
- Vital Throw

--Your current team--
[Greninja] | [44]
[No Item]
[Proteam]
[Timid]
- Bounce
- X-Scissors
- Water Pulse
- Smack Down

-- Other pokemon you have in your PC --
[Liteo] | [15], [snubbull] | [13], [Tyrogue] | [10], [Toxicroak] | [24],[Nuzleaf] | [15], [Woobat] | [27], [Carvanha] | [25], [Mr. Mime] | [15], [Emolga] | [31], [Duskull] | [32], [Corsola] | [35], [Mawile] | [30]

I can't beat valerie, i get to milotic and then it out speeds everything i've got and almost OK

I had trouble finding a direct counter to Milotic as well, but stumbled upon the Nincada right next to where you dock and the light flipped on.

Shedinja can't be hit by her, so it doesn't even require that much leveling.

Another tip I can give is that when you have the ninjask and the shedinja in the party together, any move you learn on one copies to the other. I assume this is a bug, but regardless, what I went and did was delevel the ninjask to 19, then ding it to 20 quickly, where it learns Screech.

(Be aware that the nincada doesn't actually learn screech, but 20 is when it evolves so I suppose even if the bug I described gets changed and they are still meant to copy abilities when the ninjask is created you can still do it that way. No clue, never actually used this thing before.

Also note the Reverse Candy are only 50 pokedollars on this island! OP)

Make sure it overrides a move you want gone from both pokemon and congrats, you now have a literally unkillable physical attacker that can lower the opponents defense to 0 and just chip away.

This was particularly useful as the Milotic has recover, so I just go 3x screech, then one shot it with Phantom Force.

In fact, this pokemon is untouchable by 5 out of her 6 pokemon. Only Rotom has a Ghost move, so if you are struggling with any others, you can just take on the whole team this way. Just note that the Lanturn has Thunder Wave and this pokemon with paralyze really dampens the fun!

I'd recommend Shedinja as well, but make sure to switch out when she sends out her Rotom. I believe that's the only Pokemon that can touch you. Ampharos and Shedinja will make this gym quite easy.

Yup, this is true. Only Rotom can hit you out of her 6 pokemon. You can feasibly solo the entire gym with shedinja and one for rotom, but the switches potential paralyze makes it very grindy.

So I just pushed through to Angie for the first time, but still had the rag-tag team I put together to beat the chicks on top of Tesla's house. I went through to Angie and realized that while there is a healing station, there isn't a box anywhere I can see.

Does anyone know of a way out of here, or a way to change the pokemon on my team, or am I crashing the game back to the previous save and doing it all again with a proper team?

Walk around the arena she's waiting for you at and behind her. In the room behind her there should be a Dimensional Rift. Walk into the Rift and you should be back in the church. You can go back into the town by exiting the church the same way you came in.

Walk around the arena she's waiting for you at and behind her. In the room behind her there should be a Dimensional Rift. Walk into the Rift and you should be back in the church. You can go back into the town by exiting the church the same way you came in.

Ah ok, I saw your reply to another comment about the gym but didn't put two and two together.

Thanks for the tip, very useful!

Edited by MetrololAce

• 2 weeks later...

I need help with Marianette;; I can't seem to get past by her Wigglytuff. ;w;

And probably suggestions on what to do with my Toxicroak;; (Supposedly she's the only counter for the Wigglytuff but Poison-moves aren't coming until she reaches 45;; )

[Marianette]
--Current team--

Tipsy
[Toxicroak] | [25l]
[Poison Barb]
[Poison Touch]
[Adamant]
- Zen Headbutt
- Feint Attack
- Revenge
- Bulk Up

Nori

[Combusken] | [33]

[None]
[speed Boost]
[Jolly]
- Quick Attack
- Double Kick
- Flame Charge
- Peck

Adam

[Frogadier] | [33]

[None]
[Protein]
[Adamant]
- Smack Down
- X-Scissor
- Cut
- Water Pulse

Shatter

[Vivillon] | [31]

[None]
[Compoundeyes]
[bashful]
- Draining Kiss
- Supersonic
- Stun Spore
- Aromatherapy

Rosemary

[swoobat] | [31]

[Twistedspoon]
[unaware]
[serious]
- Calm Mind
- Heart Stamp
- Air Cutter
- Assurance

Charlette

[Granbull] | [35]

[None]
[intimidate]
[serious]
- Rock Smash
- Charm
- Bite
- Headbutt

PC
[Mightyena*] | [32], [barboach] | [30], [Gothita] | [20], [Pansear*] | [25]

Train the toxicroak to level 31 for sucker punch.

Supposly, try and learn combusken bulk up instead. With the speed boost and the defense+attack up i think you could destroy the gym leader really easy.

Peck aren't really worth it, so replace that with bulk up. Wigglytuff is a psycial attacker, so bulk up combusken is perfect.

That's all i need to say.

Train the toxicroak to level 31 for sucker punch.

Supposly, try and learn combusken bulk up instead. With the speed boost and the defense+attack up i think you could destroy the gym leader really easy.

Peck aren't really worth it, so replace that with bulk up. Wigglytuff is a psycial attacker, so bulk up combusken is perfect.

That's all i need to say.

Oh thank you! I managed to train my 'mons up and such~ Took me 10 retries to get a smooth battle. THAT CINCCINO IS A CHEATER I SWEAR. Good thing my Granbull managed to tank 80% of the damage delt by her team. :^)

Also kinda off-topic but is the Mareep you can get the hotel has a possibility to be shiny? 'o' )

Oh thank you! I managed to train my 'mons up and such~ Took me 10 retries to get a smooth battle. THAT CINCCINO IS A CHEATER I SWEAR. Good thing my Granbull managed to tank 80% of the damage delt by her team. :^)

Also kinda off-topic but is the Mareep you can get the hotel has a possibility to be shiny? 'o' )

Cincinno is definitely one of her mons that gave me trouble. Yeah, Mareep can definitely be shiny. Hurry and grab it before the V6 switch up. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I need help with Valarie.

Tangrowth Lv.44

Regenerator

-Wild Charge

-Ancient Power

-Giga Drain

-Knock Off

Toxicroak Lv.44

Poison Touch

-Revenge

-Zen Headbutt