Verdant Tales: Symphonic Horizon

Dylanrockin

Game Release Date  

394 members have voted

1. 1. When would you like to see my game released?

• In a month?
    • In two months?
    • In three months?
    • Who cares, I just want to play a well-made game!
  2. 2. Who is your favorite character?

3. 3. Would you like Save Points to be the only method of saving?

• Yes
    • No
    • It makes sense, given the very "different nature" of your game, so yes.

On 11/6/2017 at 12:07 AM, Dylanrockin said:

Update, yo: So, new character, after like... a couple months of no new characters, mostly because almost all 50+ characters are already finished

I always wonder how you're even able to keep track of all of them because 50 is not a small number.

Suffering from a spot of depression lately has deterred me from working on my game as of late. It's been rough the past couple months, and school hasn't been making it any easier, especially with me studying for the GRE, so I can get accepted into Grad-School. But, as of late I've been slowly making progress, and since a whole ton of obligations have been rid of I can now dedicate a lot more time to my game, especially when Christmas break rolls around.

Whoa, hey, guess who's back from their brief hiatus from working on the game? Yeah, me *sad airhorns* Anywho, update time:

I just began working on my game as a means of retaliating against the presence of Sun and Moon being in my head, and has spurred on my motivation out of pure hatred for it and it's Pokemon Horizon manga. So, here is an update for a character not in this game, but in the sequel as the main villain (who I showed off a while ago) Celia Magnus and her Verdant Form. Yeah, she has one. But I hear you saying "Isn't that exclusive to Vice, what's the deal?" That'll be revealed in her game.

2a730a6a3585053f4796e6d927708990-dbtt2qp

• Like 2

Manga Update: So, what I have to show is a bunch of new pages for the manga that will be released this summer (hopefully). These pages are work in progresses, but they are sketches and among other things, inked pages that are being finalized. Also, the two pages with colors are the cover and back cover, respectively. Those two need to shaded, and toned before they're finished. So, if the cover and back-cover look weird, it's because they haven't been shaded and the final details are only included in the final toning and shading processes.

0acf6e349cb92ac50babc5e659c6382f.png

Also, in regards to my game, I've finally mustered up the drive to put in some good-hours into my game, especially with Thanksgiving break finally cutting me some slack. With that said, I've managed to get a solid 5% more progress done with my game, and begun programming in some new functions, and some scripted battles, which I may or may not show off at some point. I've been lazy with livestreams and actually recording my work, because... well, lazy as I mentioned.

Edited by Dylanrockin
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2017 at 10:58 PM, Layback80 said:

@DylanrockinI only just made a profile but I've been watching out for this game a couple years now(mainly on youtube)And I gotta tell you this awesome work you've been doing and I'm waiting patiently for the full game because this sounds to good.

Much appreciated, however, I've been extremely busy these past couple of months, which has hampered my progress a bit. That said, I've been working very hard, now, since finals are over, and I can now make steady progress to getting stuff done. Pretty much now I can get things done around the clock and start making up lost time, due to this semester being nothing more than a huge drag on me.

• Thanks 1

So, finals are over with, and I am now free to work on my game as much as I can now! First off: new artwork coming soon, secondly: I'm broke af! But that's to be expected. Since school started I've been working on the manga primarily and supervising the work going into it, since it was easy for me to do, and didn't take up a lot of my time, but now that I'm free I can do whatever I want, whenever I want! No more obligations to stupid shit that no one likes, ever. Also, I just needed a break, ya know? But, I think a 3 month break isn't too bad of a thing, since it could've been worse: I could've closed the project entirely :V But, I'm not a loser and I don't give up on anything, so ya'll are still gonna have to be putting up with my constant delays of b.s. :P

Also, I wanted to announce, one new "transformation" for Vivian Vance, and it's exclusive to her and her race. It is referred to as Synchronize: No Mind. This was something that I had planned back in August to do, as I wanted to have Vivian master Synchronize and have her use the perfected version of it that is based off of the real life, Martial Arts concept of Mushin while utilizing the ability to Synchronize as well. If you want to read up about Mushin I implore it, since it's super fascinating, but this will be her new transformation that is a step-up from her normal Synchronize and it requires a set criteria to occur for you to use it in battle, such as:

• Greninja must be at less than 30% maximum health
  • You must have half of your focus meter filled
  • And you must already be Synchronized in order to transform, so it requires 2 turns at least to use.

Footage on that, soon to come!

Manga related news and whatnot:

Since I am in a financial struggle, as per usual, the manga is only limited to 5 pages, at most, per month. The first volume of the manga is set to be around 110 pages, estimated and we're almost to that goal. Below are some screenshots of some of the pages you all can expect to see later on! Also, btw's, if you live in the New York area, both my manga artist and I plan on hosting a panel for the release of the manga. So, if you're there, you should like... stop by and shit, because I'll be there, and I may or may not sell you a copy ;)

1b657be605ccdda1bdaf039b26f38580.png

57dc408156ef1d800a462b7e3afc2e87.png

Ahem: f584c52422b9c31fd458186adb5920f3.png

Oh, and btw's: Now Playtesting.

c2e9fe533fb67d135537adad782ff78e.png

Yeah, I am getting to THAT point in the game, atm. Lots of cool shiz, coming soon!

• Like 1

Just now, Twilightwing said:

If you're struggling with financial stuff why not open a Patreon? 

I do have a Patreon, but every time I mention it I feel like an asshole. If anything, I'd only use it to help fund the manga, as I prefer paying for things related to my game, myself. For the sake of my own pride, and because I'd rather not have people yelling at me saying how much of a scumbag I am for setting up a Patreon for my game.

But, here is the Patreon, as I'm having trouble even deciding what to have for incentives on there: https://www.patreon.com/SymphonicHorizonManga

So, if anyone wants to chip in, feel free to. Or don't - I'm not your dad.

55 minutes ago, Dylanrockin said:

I do have a Patreon, but every time I mention it I feel like an asshole. If anything, I'd only use it to help fund the manga, as I prefer paying for things related to my game, myself. For the sake of my own pride, and because I'd rather not have people yelling at me saying how much of a scumbag I am for setting up a Patreon for my game.

I'm not really against donations but my money flow is uh...not a reliable monthly thing I can just give away as I really only have two different dates in a year where I can actually buy stuff I like. Also, I'm totally with you on feeling like an a-hole if I have to ask people for money. I guess that's kind of why I don't have a Patreon account at all, but if I did something very costly or absolutely needed it then of course I'd consider.

Anyways, I'm finally freed up as well and you know I silently watch these projects continue. Take care, don't stress yourself out, and don't throw your computer out the window every time a PBS error pops up due to a minor spelling error.

2 hours ago, Commander said:

I'm not really against donations but my money flow is uh...not a reliable monthly thing I can just give away as I really only have two different dates in a year where I can actually buy stuff I like. Also, I'm totally with you on feeling like an a-hole if I have to ask people for money. I guess that's kind of why I don't have a Patreon account at all, but if I did something very costly or absolutely needed it then of course I'd consider.

Anyways, I'm finally freed up as well and you know I silently watch these projects continue. Take care, don't stress yourself out, and don't throw your computer out the window every time a PBS error pops up due to a minor spelling error.

I'm free now, which is great, since I can now make up all the lost time that I spent the past 3 months doing nothing! Well, I did do some things, here and there, but good lord... I didn't do a noteworthy amount of work this semester.

But, yeh, anyone can donate to that link above, but again: I'm not your dad, and you spend your money how you want. I still feel like a total asshole for even asking for donations, for the manga (CLARIFICATION TIMES A MILLION! ONLY THE MANGA).

Donate if you want: f584c52422b9c31fd458186adb5920f3.png

Update and shiz: So, I did a livestream for the first time in literal months, and I finished up a map that is linked to the climax of the Northern Base arc of the game, and it is referred to simply as the Northern Base - Valley. This is the where the last battle of that arc concludes.

af1acc2156cfa4024fb45627a22fb806.png

I wanted to make it a lot more rugged and more like a valley, as it is in the center of a mountain, and surrounded by rivers both frozen and not. But, yeah, expect some more updates in the coming future, on my Christmas break ;D

13 hours ago, Twilightwing said:

This game came so far from development, it's crazy how much mapping you did 

Well, there are 770 Maps, currently, in the entire game, with the soft-cap being 999 for maps. I mean, you can increase the soft-cap, through programming so really it's not much of a cap at all. I'd say there's about a good 100 or so more maps to go, left in the entire game that aren't "filler areas" of the game that don't pertain to the story.

Update: So, I've started working on a new series of maps for one of the final areas of the game: The Draco Sanctuary, and the Heaven's Sanctuary. These areas are where you will find both the Draco Fragment (Dragon Type) and the Heaven Fragment (Flying Type), and these reside on trope island floating island. This is the second to last area of the game, and the final sanctuary of the game, where there are 8 in total. The reason there are only 8 sanctuaries and not 18 is simple: most of the fragments were either already stolen by thieves or have been already claimed by the Dark Fangs, which makes visiting other Sanctuaries pointless. This is also where you find Ashera and she becomes part of your team as a Support Character, but is sadly not playable. 

That said, the screenshot I will be showing you is only of the Tower of Guidance - AKA the Draco Sanctuary.

Below is the entrance, showcasing the new tiles that will be used for this segment, and have been stylized appropriately to fit this final area of the game, before the Next Dimension Tournament. It still needs some work and some final touches, as I'm still working out new things that I will be adding to my custom tileset.

blurry_by_dylanrockin2122-dbxfyf6.jpg

• Like 2

Here's another update for ya'll! This is the Draco Sanctuary with Vice being as impatient as ever. Finally got the right amount of lighting down through parallel processes and I now have Goomy lamps on the wall, which animate :D

Also, Vice's animation resetting during the gif is only because the gif resets after a certain amount of time.

patience_by_dylanrockin2122-dbxj3md.gif

This is turning out to be one of my favorite areas to work on, especially since it's one of the final areas of the game!

• Like 1

Update: First off, Merry Belated-Late Christmas as I was away due to being at my cousin's for Christmas. Secondly I have some awesome concept artwork of Mia Vance. I already showed her off, well over a year ago in her colored and shaded artwork. However, in this version of her concept art, I plan on using her for an alternative project in Unreal Engine 4, and I chose her to be used for the first character I have 3D Modelled. Why am I doing that? Mostly because I can. But, here she be:

If you're wondering why she has her arms like that, in the center, it's called a "T-Pose" in 3D modelling speak and it's used as a way to properly model a character. But, this is essentially professional levels of conceptualization that I decided to take upon for not just my current game, but also unrelated projects.

mia03whitecanvas_by_dylanrockin2122-dby3

For as much work as I've put into my game this Christmas Break, my school schedule and work schedule has gotten to be incredibly overbearing on me, as of right now, and I fear that I won't be able to put in time to work on my game, as much as I would like. So, for this semester, I'm going to be putting the game on hiatus, until the summer, when my motivation returns and when I'm out of my lonely depression that I'm currently suffering from right now.

I've been suffering from a depression all year, because of how much I want to work on my game, but just cannot do it. I cannot bring myself to work, because of school bringing down my mood and work occupying the extra time that I have left over. Also, I've been feeling increasingly lonely as time goes by, as I haven't been able to keep a lot of my friends online for awhile, as they disappear and now I am left all alone with no one to talk to. Sometimes I feel inadequate and underwhelming to others and it just brings me down to not want to work on my game at all.

That said though, I am still continuing my work on my manga, since it doesn't require as much of my time to supervise its development, since I'm merely the writer and author of it as my manga artist illustrates it. I am contemplating opening up a separate thread somewhere that is dedicated to that entirely so I don't completely vanish from the forums for the next few months.

• Global Mods

Well, good luck with IRL stuff and mental health, taking care of yourself should always be a priority.  No matter how long it takes, we'll be here, as excited as ever for your amazing work.

(Draco Sanctuary looks hella incredible by the way =)

On 1/5/2018 at 3:34 AM, DreamblitzX said:

Well, good luck with IRL stuff and mental health, taking care of yourself should always be a priority.  No matter how long it takes, we'll be here, as excited as ever for your amazing work.

(Draco Sanctuary looks hella incredible by the way =)

Yeah, I do partake in working on my project in my free time, when I get some, but for at the moment I'm just taking it easy. Glad you like the Draco Sanctuary tho, I'm actually quite proud of the work I've been putting into it, including the puzzles :D

• Like 1

tbh, I'm not the kind of person who posts an unfinished game, especially when I'm not in the mood to work on it. Currently I'm working on the game sparingly, until I can get my groove back, which at the moment is taking a little bit. Also, I just now upgraded to a 1TB SSD and I have some essentially compression programs that I wrote on there, which prevents me from having my game tested for a bit, until I can get my enclosure in the mail.

You all will have the game when it's finished, because I prefer to do this professionally.

• Upvote 1