Kuro and Lucia are headed to Reborn!

Amethyst

Good initiative!

Now about this ethnocentrism.. I don't know if there are a lot of people going in an outrage for something as fanciful as the skin color of an actor/actress, but yeah it does exist. And it's true that a certain ethnic group is much more sought for to play in movies, in advertisements, and even to lead some companies.

However, this ethnic group, for some cultural reasons or I don't what, is more attracted to what I mentioned above. Or at least this is what I'm seeing in my suburban city in France. Just as much as, say asian parents born in Asian countries like their children to be good at maths more than another XYZ ethnic group, and as a result you feel like there are more Asian people who're good at maths than XYZ people.

Now some specific example: if you want to lead a big company in France, well you have to be know a bit about some stuff like wines, cheese, because you're gonna eat with older big bosses who may have dwelled in those habits since generations, and no matter how skilled you are, you have to abide by these social (sometimes stupid) rules. There are a lot of people who choose to stay away from the big boss status just because of that, even if they have the skills for it.

So yup, I applaud the initiative, but this is a really deep-rooted problem here, and a long period of time will be necessary to overcome it.

Edited by Soysauce

In reference to what you were saying about the use of predominantly white actors (with exception of voice actors), you have to keep in mind that the company who's making the content, whether it be a movie, game, commercial, etc. is going to appeal to the demographic that will likely make them the most money, which does, at times, have a tendency to be white people. However, ethnocentrism isn't always focusing on one ethnicity for a good reason. For instance, and this is not directed at you in particular Ame, or anyone on Reborn really, it is fairly common to slander white people, particularly within other ethnic groups, but if the tables were turned and the whites were slandering others, it would be considered racist. A classic example is the title of the movie 'White Man Can't Jump'. This isn't seen as racist, and is even seen as humorous. However, if a movie with the title 'Black Man Can't Swim' was made, the public outcry would be absolutely ridiculous. While I'll acknowledge that mass persecution has occurred in recent history, I do not believe that it is occurring as severely as many people believe today. Hell, for literal education opportunities, being a white male is the worst possible turn out, as you have less options for scholarships in comparison to females or ethnic races, and also have lower acceptance rates into colleges in general. If you ask me, it shouldn't be about promoting and advocating the upbringing of any race, but promoting equality between all races, and for that matter, all genders, sexualities, and whatever else separates us. To be frank, we're all human, and that's what matters, yes?

Also, not to be "that guy", but the term ethnocentrism really gets my goat. White is not an ethnicity, and neither is Black, African, Asian, Latino, etc..German is an ethnicity, Kenyan is an ethnicity, Korean is an ethnicity, Brazillian is an ethnicity, calling people white or black applies more specifically to race, which is probably why it's called ethnocentrism. Straight up calling it racism would probably seem much more negative.

• 2 weeks later...

*late*

My first reaction: Ame's creating new characters just to have die messily at the start of the game!?

Later: Oh, ok.

The Harry Potter thing, Lavender's skin colour was first mentioned in book 4 iirc, and studios didn't change it because she was so minor. But when she became a supporting character they had to change it to match the books.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new protagonits look so much better than the original ones :P i hope i can change to kuro without needing to restart the game.

Also, there seems to be something wrong with the old male protagonist's face :/ but i can't put my finger on what...

Maybe i do, his chin is too pointy...

Hmmm... I got an idea. What if you make one of the protagonits to become one of your rivals, just like in any Pokemon game? Y'know, the old fashioned guy vs girl rivals/friends relationship. BUT! ...your rival, as well as being of your opposite gender, but also he/she being of your opposite skin color as well.
I mean... why not ?

That's just a little thing that got onto my head by reading this thread, and I mean... it would be something interesting, to say at least.

Plus, it would mean new elements to the story and stuff... Cuz' you know, new friends and characters and stuff... And oh, it would be kind of funny the interactions between Vero and Lucia, and Kuro and Alice. They could begin to talk about something like...

Lucia: Hey Vero... I like your hair. It's all spikey and gourgeous, just like mine... ^_^.

Haha I don't know :P, just putting some random ideas over here.

They could be trainers that you'll meet in future episodes, because when you are in a journey... you expect to meet a lot of people right? I mean, they could be like the stronger trainer of a town or city that you'll soon gonna visit for X reason, with the same or similar goals like you, or just another trainer that likes to travel a lot and has a strong team like you... There are a lot of possibilities for them to be integrated into the story, but still...

It's just an idea that got into my mind just by reading this, and I'm not saying anything like this should be integrated into the game. I guess I just like that sorta feel of having your character's counterpart to be your rival on the game... that's it. :P

Edited by Arom

Unless Victoria comes back, we only have two rivals right now. I could see your opposite counterpart as a third Rival. I still want to see Victoria come back and gym leaders we've beat come back and have a part in the story.

Edited by CobraKill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think what would also be cool is a trainer who doesn't associate themselves with a gender at all. Kinda like that one gym leader who owns the dilapidated gym. That would mean 6 people you can start as, but that's cool too. Usually I choose the most hella character out of the bunch. In this case, it's the black girl.

• Administrators

That idea was what originally sparked the new trainers. I realised that having different skin tones was probably more important than a gender neutral trainer, though. Unfortunately, I don't have the room to do both :x

Today it come to my mind that ethnocentrism is not the only problem of our societies.

Last week I had a class about Handicap, and how to incorporate handicapped children in school (which is now obligatory as much as possible in France). It made me realize how it was hard to be disabled in our societies, and how disabled people were put aside, even more mentally disabled persons.

Today, I realized I can't find in my memory any handicapped character in any game I ever played, not even pokemon whereas that kind of character could be present. Thus, because in Reborn Ame is trying to represent minority groups, I think it could be interesting to put in the game a few handicapped characters .

Of course, we have a few gym leaders that seems mentally disabled, so in this regard, the idea was probably already considered. But, the fact is that autistic and trisomic people are the most shunned of mentally handicapped people but also more common that people usually think, they should, in my opinion, somehow be present in Reborn (rejected a maybe a better word ? In any case, trisomic is not even recognized by the grammar checker).

And, well, I haven't seen any wheelchair in Reborn, did you ?

=)

Edited by Seymour