Kuro and Lucia are headed to Reborn!

Amethyst

Umm....Brain does not Compute new protagonists and redesigns.

Must Activate sequence Codenamed "HYPE NOISE"

WEGTREAGWEKWAERYAWERJGARWEOGJARWEH^GHAINRWEHGAEHN^UGARWE

HNIGKEN%RAHGIARDSHGARWE^HGRIFAGRSHGARISGSARDHGEAIJRHGRFDHGAJERHGRAIEH

GRAESDIHGAERJHGAEIRHaRHAREOGARIHGAhgGARIHGAHGaRE

I'm very happy with this, but I'd like to point out the fact that the reason most characters in movies are white is because movies are usually made in mostly white countries. There's no racism behind that...

In a video game however, ESPECIALLY a fangame of a series which is widely praised for its diversity of characters, it's kind of ridiculous not to have racial and gender (won't hesitate to say it, Reborn's a clam fest....) diversity... Without a proper story explanation anyway. I know this is an anime, not a video game, but take Attack on Titan for example. The reason everyone is white is because it takes place in Europe. If it took place in Africa, I'd expect everyone to be black. Which brings me back to the point I was making about movies...

But I digress. Ya' done good Ame. :D

• Administrators

I'd like to point out the fact that the reason most characters in movies are white is because movies are usually made in mostly white countries. There's no racism behind that...

If we were to assume that that the characters' race is an affect of the population then it should stand to reason that the races of characters in movies would be proportional to the racial breakdown of the population. This is not a correlation that has been observed.

(won't hesitate to say it, Reborn's a clam fest....)

I just tallied the total of gendered characters between both seasons of league and the game. With the addition of Arc, there are only two fewer males than females. I wouldn't call that a clam-fest, and even if it were, considering how male-dominated other things tend to be, I think that's fine.

If it took place in Africa, I'd expect everyone to be black.

Off the top of my head I can think of two Disney films that took place in Africa- The Lion King, and Tarzan. There were no coloured people in Tarzan. And obviously no people at all in The Lion King so that's whatever (however they did conscript exclusively African-American voices for the hyenas, which again portrays that race in a negative way (and on that note they used black actors for the apes in Tarzan too)).

Then again, I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge by now that Disney is pretty terrible with their racism, so this is old news.

• Upvote 1

While I completely understand your position on the matter of ethnocentrism, Ame, and agree on most of it, myself, you should probably keep in mind that Eurocentrism isn't the only ethnocentrism happening here in America. A distorted version of Afrocentrism does occur in some areas. And when I say distorted, I mean the negative stereotypes often associated with rappers and such. Fortunately, there are those who are trying to push it in a more positive direction. Unfortunately, they are less prevalent than those who are not. Then there's all those other ethnic groups as well. Can't forget about them. While I wouldn't say that some members of those communities are performing ethnocentrism of their own culture, or however the proper phrasing of that sentence is supposed to be, there will always be that one member of the community that takes things too far, regardless of race, religion, sex, orientation, or culture. So really, ethnocentrism isn't the root cause of itself, but something older, and much simpler, that I don't really know the name of because my conceptual cognition starts to break down here due to lack of background knowledge, so I'd really like anyone to point out the flaws in whatever it was I just said and please provide relevant information.

Sorry if I sounded offensive, but this is a problem my mom has to deal with in her school district, as a secondary effect of ethnocentrism is that, silly or racist as this may sound, one of the (insert placeholder word here because I can't think of the right one ATM) of a subsection of the African American community (this is where that distorted version of Afrocentrism comes in that I was saying earlier) that I do not even know if it has a name (the one with all the sexist rappers), is that an individual of African heritage shouldn't be intelligent or have a "white" lifestyle, because it's a betrayal of their African heritage. Yes, I know, it's stupid and racist, but it is, unfortunately, an actual thing that happens, especially in poorer communities with a high concentration of African Americans. One of my mom's students is an exceptionally bright individual whose only reason for acting stupid and failing school is that one. Stupid. (placeholder word).

So, all in all, ethnocentrism is worse than you thought? Damn, and I thought I was going off on a tangent there.

In other news, those new character sprites are totes bitchin'!

Edited by NeoDarklight

In retrospect, I should probably reword that last paragraph slightly, as I have probably been too broad there. Not trying to talk about the community as a whole, just a specific subsection of it that is exceptionally problematic in one of its (placeholder word). Will be editing for clarity shortly.

EDIT: Edited, but I still think I worded it incorrectly. In any case, I'm still not talking about the community as a whole, just a specific (placeholder word) of a specific subsection of said community. Really, the concept of racial "superiority" is something I cannot even fully comprehend. I have to take a semi-objective view because I can't empathize with any truly subjective view on the subject at all.

Edited by NeoDarklight

I'm not a big fan of black guys that try to look badass, personally. And DJ Arclight's look doesn't seem to suit at all. I'd prefer my DJs sleek and stylish (and Kuro and Lucia pull off the sleek look with aplomb, let me tell you). But that's just me.

Tell him to get a new haircut and some nice sleek clothes, and we'll call it square. Hey, Lady Gaga does it! So why not?

And there's no shame in admitting you're of some dominant ethnic majority. But then, I realize that there's a very subtle sense of guilt over your ethnic group having, in the past, instigated the genocide of at least three different ethnic groups followed by systematic derision to the survivors...

None of that seems relevant to me. When you're in a country where the color of your skin is a little different, and you spend most of your time isolated in body and mind... you kind of stop caring about people's skin colors. It's just an appearance trait to me by this point.

• Upvote 2

I'm not a big fan of black guys that try to look badass, personally. And DJ Arclight's look doesn't seem to suit at all. I'd prefer my DJs sleek and stylish (and Kuro and Lucia pull off the sleek look with aplomb, let me tell you). But that's just me.

Tell him to get a new haircut and some nice sleek clothes, and we'll call it square. Hey, Lady Gaga does it! So why not?

And there's no shame in admitting you're of some dominant ethnic majority. But then, I realize that there's a very subtle sense of guilt over your ethnic group having, in the past, instigated the genocide of at least three different ethnic groups followed by systematic derision to the survivors...

None of that seems relevant to me. When you're in a country where the color of your skin is a little different, and you spend most of your time isolated in body and mind... you kind of stop caring about people's skin colors. It's just an appearance trait to me by this point.

^This. Just... this.

The concept of Ethnocentrism never really came to me naturally, I admit. Forgive me for saying this but, I actually have little feelings towards it but annoyance. It never made sense why it happens, and to frank, I really don't care much. The problem with Ethnicity has spread ages ago, and is practically a product of human nature, or rather, biproduct. The Human Natures of culture and dominance's baby you might say. You take a group's way of life, expand it, and then they try to place it above all others. Whether it was the Egyptians of the ancients or the Europeans brought the African Slaves to the Americas, they all follow the same pattern. So now we reached a new era of civilization. Good. But racial supremacy still rages on. Like Ame said, Eurocentrism, or White Ethnic Dominance, or WED, still remains. And while I do admit I am proud she is trying to go against it with the new protagonists, that only spreads so far. One might say a little at a time is a thing, it is not EVERYTHING. And you know what? It still hardly matters, ethnicity. Whether you are are one race or another, you still are human. And my mental process of human life? You live. Then you die.

As for the designs, as robot me said.

TWRTSEYWZUAGHGTRHSTRHJRSHJTRJSTFGHJSYTXTYHJXTYGFJ

Arc's not going to change his appearance for one person.

Why would he? Not every DJ needs to look the same.

It is with shame that I confess guilty to the allegation in the other topic that there is not a single significant character of colour introduced to the league so far. In fact- I daresay that it is the project's greatest failing.

While I like the new player sprites, I kinda feel your statement that its the "projects greatest failing" is a vast overstatement. As a black person, I didn't even notice the race thing in game, and quite frankly didn't care.( Not to say you shouldn't add the player sprites, that girl looks friggen awesome.) But most black people don't care throughout their lives as much as you did in that one post.

Also:

So really, ethnocentrism isn't the root cause of itself, but something older, and much simpler, that I don't really know the name of because my conceptual cognition starts to break down here due to lack of background knowledge

It's called monkey see, monkey do, or Unoriginal-as-fuck-ism, people act like what they see, and its often easier to act like someone who looks like you too. If the lead monkey's a moron, the followers turn out the same.(Like those kids outside my place after school talking all that yoloswag nonsense, go back in that school and learn some real words dammit.)

The crap rappers do is because easy money, and low effort, its easier to make a cookie cutter rap song with no content, than to come up with original content and expect to get paid. Brain dead consumers then consume without asking for quality, so, boom, shotty rap is what they get, rather than the stuff that USED to come out, with content.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it's because the people chosen played the hyenas the way they were written the best. I highly doubt Disney put out the casting call saying "Black people only".

Dude, don't stick up for Disney, at least not old Disney, they had more issues in more places than most people have molecules in their bodies. Old Disney was racist, sexist,and perverted - and all out in the open with all of it. I wouldn't be shocked if they DID only look at black people for the Hyenas, seems right up their alley for that time period. Granted they don't do that now (not to my knowledge anyway), but they have a history with that kinda thing, and worse.

Finally, my opinion on Arclight's sprite. I dun like his hair. Sorry, I've never felt black people can pull off any shade of yellow, and he ain't changin' my opinion on the matter a lick. Love his outfit tho. The player sprites are made of badass, does that option to change also include an option to change gender? I wanna replace the save files with male sprites to the new girl, I love it.

• Administrators

Sexism in Hercules; racism in Mulan; we were just talking about Tarzan, Atlantis was a blatant plagarism... Naaahh.

Granted with Hercules and Mulan they at least tried be anti-sexism in those (Megara's by far my favorite disney princess) but it became pretty convoluted.

Not really interested in continuing to argue petty specifics but the Lion King was not their last problem. In fact, hell, even Frozen is still getting criticism and- is it even out yet?

I really like the new sprites and protagonists (Lucia and the white boy - which I didn't get the name if it was given - are my favorites), but while I agree that it is a good idea to let people have more choices on their looks ingame, since it is representative of themselves, I don't really believe that there should be any "quota" of representation of any kind of minority, whether it's in movies, tv shows, or whatever else you could think of.

I know in France, there are lots of discussions about this, such as "only 5% of tv presenters are black/arabic/...", or "there should be a 50/50 male and female representation in schools/universities/anythingelseyoucanthinkof", but no matter how hard I try, I just can't understand that.

Saying "I want only white people/black people" or saying "I want 60/40 men/women" or "50/50 human/alien" to me it just sounds the same.

Why can't we just forget about all this ? There is a 100% human representation everywhere, shouldn't that be all that matters ?

I'm not saying we shouldn't fight discriminations of any kind, of course we should and must. What I'm saying is sometimes I feel like we are overdoing it, by seeing discriminations where there are only statistics.

Edited by AngelGozen
  • Upvote 1

The remade and new trainer sprites look fucking amazing, Ame; I've seen better sprite work from you than most of the other ones I know of.

I'm not going to make any point on the argument about ethnicity and the like because, quite frankly, I've never given a damn as to whether someone is black or white since I frequently tend not to judge on appearance. Interpret me as ignorant if you will, but I've never really distinguished someone for ethnicity, sex or any of those regards, and that's that.

Side Note: I predict Arclight's gonna pull some rampant Drum n' Bass on us. I can feel it.

• Upvote 1