Alice and Allen Battle - Theoretical

Outside Indoorsman

Spoiler

After our two favorite middle siblings were appointed as the Dark and Fairy gym leaders respectively, I think it's pretty safe to say that people are wondering what Jan is going to have them throwing at us when we eventually fight them. Because I wanted to write this, I did.

Spoilers below!

Field: Starlight Arena (Becomes the Bewitched Woods if weather is set up). Battle is a 12v12 - Melia or Erin is fighting them with you (which of them participates is your choice).

Allen:

Spoiler

-Clefable (Magic Guard) (Sitrus Berry)
Meteor Mash
Cosmic Power
Dazzling Gleam
Moonlight
(Almost designed for the Starlight Arena - feel free to be angry).

-Florges (Erin) (Symbiosis) (Iapapa Berry)
Nature Power
Wish
Psychic
Hidden Power (Ground)
(Allen got Florges because he wanted to bond with Erin, and because he thought it was fitting for him).

-Shiinotic (Illuminate) (Focus Sash)
Nature Power
Moonlight
Sleep Powder
Pollen Puff
(Illuminate is boosted by the Starlight Arena, and Grass/Fairy types are very good in the Bewitched Woods).

-Whimsicott (Prankster) (Power Herb)
Tailwind
Light Screen
Nature Power
Solar Beam
(Good on both the Bewitched Woods and the Starlight Arena - Tailwind, Light Screen, and Nature Power are all boosted by Prankster).

-Mega Grimmsnarl (Frisk before Mega)
Reflect
Spirit Break
False Surrender
Drain Punch
(I was originally considering giving Allen a Mega Altaria, but when I realized that Cloud Nine didn't remove weather - only suppressed it - that sadly had to be removed. But Mega Grimmsnarl is still a very powerful pokemon. Also, it's a Dark/Fairy type - fitting, since he's fighting you alongside his Dark-type leader sister).

-Galarian Rapidash (Pastel Veil) (Scope Lens) (Ace)
Psycho Cut
Throat Chop
Play Rough
Drill Run
(I know that Allen had an Alolan Ninetails in the Pyramid - but it wasn't real, if that makes sense. It was given to him by Alice - I sort of wanted him to decide against getting one in his final team, as a way of showing he's doing things on his own now. And he does sort of give off a... knightly demeanor, I feel? So giving him a horse seems appropriate - also, it's fast like he is).

Alice:

Spoiler

-Alolan Persian (Technician) (Life Orb)
Swift
Snarl
Icy Wind
Parting Shot
(Technician boosts all of Persian's offensive moves by 50%, the Life Orb boosts them even further, and Swift and Snarl both get boosted by the field. Icy Wind is there to slow the player down, and Parting Shot is in case Persian needs to make a fast exit).

-Zoroark (Melia) (Illusion) (Chople Berry)
Counter
Night Daze
Flamethrower
Grass Knot
(Alice got this pokemon because she wanted to bond with Melia - and also because, well, it goes with her illusions).

-Aevium Musharna (Tough Claws) (Sitrus Berry)
Lovely Kiss
Draining Kiss
Night Slash
Slash And Burn
(Like Grimmsnarl, Musharna's here partly to show the bond these two have - and also because it's a good pokemon that fits the gym fairly well.)

-Thievul (Stakeout) (Thievul Crest)
Dark Pulse
Parting Shot
Psychic
Hidden Power (Ground)
(Not an obvious choice, but one that I think goes fairly well with Alice's theme and team. And she has two crests, compared to Allen having none - well, Fairy doesn't have that many pokemon with Crests yet).

-Spiritomb (Infiltrator) (Spiritomb Crest)
Shadow Sneak
Dark Pulse
Hypnosis
Shock Wave
(Ideally, you're going to be hoping that this is one of the first Pokemon Alice sends out to fight you).

-Mega Sableye (Prankster before Mega) (Ace)
Moonlight
Dazzling Gleam
Nasty Plot
Power Gem
(Alice still has a Sableye, since she expressed a clear interest in one, even after she finished the month-long training session. Her pokemon are a little "tricky", compared to Allen's, and less predictable. I think that sort of goes with her illusions, though).

• Like 1

I totally agree for Starlight Arena as the field, it fits both types perfectly. Bewitched Woods was already used, we won't have it a second time for a gym battle.

However, i don't think the double will be with Erin or Melia. Erin doesn't have much interest in battles, and Melia is a reserve leader. If it's a double 12vs12, for me, it will be with Aelita. She wants to become stronger, and she already shown before an interest in fighting the gym leaders.

Could be with Ren too, considering he's our partner / rival since the very beginning of the game.

As for the teams, maybe not his ace, but i really think Allen will have an alolan ninetales. Just because it was the mon given by his sister

The Bewitched Woods are mostly there as a sort of "Backup" - the Starlight Arena can be taken down just by using a weather move for a while, so the Woods are there to make people think twice about doing that offhand and crippling them (though if you have a Pyukumuku with Purify... they're going to have issues). And they are pretty close to Darchlight Woods, after all. If you can think of another field that suits them and would dissuade people from just using weather conditions against them, feel free to throw out a suggestion, though.

And yeah - I guess it would make more sense for Aelita to help us, in hindsight. And Ren probably would too, but he's got other stuff to do, potentially.

Maybe yes, maybe no. I can see him with one, but I don't think it will be his Ace? Because - well, Alice does know him pretty well, but she can't make all of his decisions for him (at least, not any longer). So I gave him the Galarian Rapidash both because I think it's fitting for him, and because it wasn't what his sister gave him. To show that he's doing things on his own now. Also, it's fast like he is - and like I said, he sort of gives a knight-like "aura", almost? Like a fairy-tale knight.

Also, to me, the only person who gets an Alolan Ninetails as their Ace is Ame. I'll admit that's a part of my decision-making process.

32 minutes ago, crulla said:

Also consider that if it is Starlight Arena, ATales' Snow Warning is going to wipe the field to Bewitching Woods.

This too - while A-Ninetails does have Snow Cloak as a secondary ability, it just... well, there's a reason people typically use Snow Warning.

Which is kind of sad, because the Starlight Arena itself allows Aurora Veil to be used even without Hail. Basically, Galarian Rapidash just... fits Allen better, I think.

Oh yeah, didn't though about snow warning + Angie had a ninetales so i guess it won't be used again.

Galarian rapidash fits him pretty well i agree. If it's a double, maybe like Neon and Magenta, Allen will focus on attack, and Alice on support.

Fast mons are fitting with Allen, while more defensive mons are for Alice (like her sableye, and the whole illusion ability wich makes sense)

I think giving a Gardevoir to any of the Theolias is... sort of weird? Well, Melia already has Hope, I guess. So... maybe? I just think that given how close those two are, giving them each a Dark/Fairy pokemon seems fitting. I've got nothing major against Gardevoir, though. It just seems odd to me.

And actually - well, Allen's pokemon are mostly not the best at taking hits without boosts, which is why he's got Reflect and Light Screen. Alice is tricky, compared to him - she's got multiple Sleep moves, and her Sableye has Nasty Plot. Maybe I didn't do things perfectly, but I hope these two look good, so to say. (And maybe it wouldn't be too unbelievable for one or both to have a weather setter like A-Ninetales or Tyranitar in their team, to change the field when they think the time's right, and also for Arenite Wall/Aurora Veil support).

I had the same reflection on a fight against both Allen and Alice in Oblitus. I was sending Grimmsnarl in Alice's team more than Allen's one though, it looks to suit more to Alice's personality, and also in order to give her a good option to get through Fighting types and a Bug neutrality. A Grimmsnarl for Alice, a Hatterene for Allen, mark my words. Also maybe a Crest Skuntank and a Bisharp, she needs some solid options against fairies if we fight her on a field buffing Fairy moves.

On Mega Sableye I couldn't agree more, it is perfect for Alice.

Good point on Bisharp and Crest Skuntank for Alice... the field does indeed boost Fairy moves. Maybe swap Thievul out for one of them? Yeah... I'd probably swap out Thievul for Bisharp. Skuntank isn't bad with a Crest, but Bisharp is kind of better - and Skuntank isn't much of a defensive pokemon, even with a Crest that removes the only weak point it has.

11 hours ago, Outside Indoorsman said:

Good point on Bisharp and Crest Skuntank for Alice... the field does indeed boost Fairy moves. Maybe swap Thievul out for one of them? Yeah... I'd probably swap out Thievul for Bisharp. Skuntank isn't bad with a Crest, but Bisharp is kind of better - and Skuntank isn't much of a defensive pokemon, even with a Crest that removes the only weak point it has.

Same, Crest Skuntank is good but quite a bit limited. I'd rather go for Bisharp as well.

A double battle definitely makes sense to me. Probably alongside Aelita, since nobody else really makes sense, the game also is really pushing the idea of the MC and Aelita working together so they make the most sense to me.

Aelita will kind of be a mixed bag of an ally, since she will get obliterated by the fairies but be good against the dark (except for the Mega Sableye of course). Best strategy would in that case be to team up against Allice, since Aelita should hit her pretty hard, and wipe her out first, then 2v1 Allen, but that is just a theory I suppose. 

On 10/8/2021 at 6:18 AM, Outside Indoorsman said:

Not so sure now I think about it, Fairy and Dark and neutral against each other in the Bewitched Woods, so Fairy should not be such a threat for her.

If Alice is gonna have a Sableye, then I bet Allen will have its counterpart Mawile. Its base ability of intimidate is pretty good in doubles and it would appreciate the field boosts for play rough and sucker punch. (Ik Cassandra already has one but I feel like Serperior or Milotic fit her better.) For more counterparts I'm thinking of Galarian Rapidash and Obstagoon, Alolan Ninetales and Alolan Persian, or Dedenne and Morepeko