Questions about Rift/Boss Pokemon Mechanics

MDM1 Beans

Basically my questions are about any of the Pokemon that have these shields and all. I haven't played Sw/Sh, but my understanding is that the shield mechanic comes from those games. My first question is, how is the amount of damage required to break a shield determined? Like is it different for each Pokemon and effected by their stat totals?

My other question is about status on these Pokemon, basically does it work? I'm currently fighting Giratina and I've attempted it ~15 times. I paralyze it first turn every time, and it has yet to miss a single turn to paralysis. Am I insanely unlucky or can it not be fully paralyzed?

1) Yes, it dependant on stats. I cannot fully say how much damage you need to break a shield, but it is dependant on HP and defences of the Rift pokemon.
2) While speed get reduced, they cannot skip turns with paralysis or confusion. 
3) Multi-hit moves dont work properly, only first hit out of 5 connects. 
4) Poison and toxic doesnt seem to damage shields, however can reduce the actual health bar. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cyphre said:

1) Yes, it dependant on stats. I cannot fully say how much damage you need to break a shield, but it is dependant on HP and defences of the Rift pokemon.
2) While speed get reduced, they cannot skip turns with paralysis or confusion. 
3) Multi-hit moves dont work properly, only first hit out of 5 connects. 
4) Poison and toxic doesnt seem to damage shields, however can reduce the actual health bar. 

Ok, thank you! This is helpful information for sure.

Do you happen to know if Flinch is effected at all? And are stat/accuracy drops effected at all? I had Giratina at -6 accuracy and it missed all its attacks until the shields were broken, then it hit 6 moves in a row. That seems like awful luck.

15 minutes ago, MDM1 Beans said:

Ok, thank you! This is helpful information for sure.

Do you happen to know if Flinch is effected at all? And are stat/accuracy drops effected at all? I had Giratina at -6 accuracy and it missed all its attacks until the shields were broken, then it hit 6 moves in a row. That seems like awful luck.

Dunno about fling, but regarding stay drops you've just been unlucky, I had the same strategy with my blaziken using sand attack and it worked pretty fine (at the 37thish attempt lol) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeoPwyll said:

what about accuracy reduction? (smokescreen, flash...)

in the intense mode do these boss pokemon miss?

I don't know, but in Intense Mode, Rift Galvantula went in ATK and speed down with Growl and Eldegoss's Ability (if hit, every Pokémon around will have -1 in speed, works with physical and special moves)

6 hours ago, NeoPwyll said:

what about accuracy reduction? (smokescreen, flash...)

in the intense mode do these boss pokemon miss?

Ya, you can reduce accuracy. That's how I ended up beating Giratina, turns out I just got super unlucky the first time.