Mono Water Type Run

SeiZMiC

23 minutes ago, Duskfang Shadowpaw said:

Hey there,

personally I prefer Froakie and Mudkipz

I was thinking froakie too just a bit concerned on greninja's health pool and how fragile it is but sounds like a good choice!!

Don't know if this would help you come to a decision, but currently Mudkip is available as an open world encounter later down the line during the game.

Froakie is only available as a starter though I don't know if this will change with V13

• Like 1

I did a similar run recently and I chose Froakie as my starter. Yes, its stats and movepool are very average and not impressive in the beginning, but it gets better later on in the game once you gain access to the TMs for Dark Pulse, Grass Knot and Surf. Also, all other Water type starters are available as overworld encounters or gifts. 

• Like 1

Sure mudkip is available "later" but how much is later? Arguably some of Rejuv's hardest parts are earlier on(like Narcissca) and  you'd fare better with a stronger starter earlier rather than going with a weaker one simply because the stronger one pops up via event or something. I feel like a starer's value goes beyond their late-game usefulness and moreso how useful they are the entire journey. 

I wouldn't pick squirtle, piplup or totodile. Popplio I used before and remember being pretty good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nocturne93 said:

I did a similar run recently and I chose Froakie as my starter. Yes, its stats and movepool are very average and not impressive in the beginning, but it gets better later on in the game once you gain access to the TMs for Dark Pulse, Grass Knot and Surf. Also, all other Water type starters are available as overworld encounters or gifts. 

oh thats tru greninja has that ability B) Im leaning towards froakie rn! 

11 hours ago, Monochrome_Complex said:

Sure mudkip is available "later" but how much is later? Arguably some of Rejuv's hardest parts are earlier on(like Narcissca) and  you'd fare better with a stronger starter earlier rather than going with a weaker one simply because the stronger one pops up via event or something. I feel like a starer's value goes beyond their late-game usefulness and moreso how useful they are the entire journey. 

I wouldn't pick squirtle, piplup or totodile. Popplio I used before and remember being pretty good.

That's a good point. There are not a lot of decent Water types available in the beginning, so your best options for Narcissa are Floatzel, Basculin, Seaking and possibly Vaporeon if you got the Eevee from the help centre. Also, Quagsire and Lumineon can learn Flash to change the field. I remember it was doable, but still quite hard to beat her. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 4:40 PM, Monochrome_Complex said:

YOU WOULDNT PICK PIPLUP??!?!?!?!? WHYYYY!?!?!??!

You can get all 7 water type starters in the game without choosing any as your starter. Squirtle in aquamarine cave using surf and a gourmet treat, Totodile in the Gearen hotel pool at night using surf and a gourmet treat, Mudkip at Sheridan wetlands during a hide and seek quest using surf, cut and rock climb, Piplup / Empoleon in Evergreen forest while having Anju's Pendant which you can get by doing the extra trials in the sewer mansion, Oshawott by doing a little quest around, route 7, route 8 and darchlight woods, Froakie is a little more tricky and can only be obtained through some kind of bug, when playing as Ren in the past, when you catch a Pokémon switch that Pokémon immediatly after capture with the Greninja in his party, when you're back playing as yourself, that Greninja will be in your Pc, and lastly, Poplio is a reward for beating challenger Neptune at a Route 6 diving spot, but this is one of the hardest fights in V12 imo.

20 hours ago, Dark Champion said:

YOU WOULDNT PICK PIPLUP??!?!?!?!? WHYYYY!?!?!??!

Piplup is available later on. Also, Empoleon is currently not very good in Rejuvenation, sadly. TM Flash Cannon is not available and that's Empoleon's only option as a special Steel STAB move. A physically oriented Empoleon can work, but it is suboptimal. 

On 5/12/2021 at 4:53 AM, Nocturne93 said:

Piplup is available later on. Also, Empoleon is currently not very good in Rejuvenation, sadly. TM Flash Cannon is not available and that's Empoleon's only option as a special Steel STAB move. A physically oriented Empoleon can work, but it is suboptimal. 

yeah thats true