DaPika2's Grass Monotype Challenge Run - WE BEAT GYM 1

DaPika2

On 1/15/2021 at 12:35 AM, DaPika2 said:

K, I'll try that

I'll have to get the tms first though

It's not possible to get TM Nature Power at that point in the game sadly; you have to show a Cherrim, Magcargo and Zebstrika to the artist on Route 2. TM Venoshock is available though.

Some Normal typed moves are boosted on the Blessed/Holy Field so you could try that. If I remember correctly, Magical Leaf is also boosted. 

Ok Imma be taking a step away from the run for a bit, I've been grinding the fight like crazy so Imma take a bit of time away from the challenge to do some studying and get better at pokemon and other things like school work, as well as play some other games. I will still be taking attempts on the challenge run but don't expect any immediate progress.

Quick short update, I did some experimenting towards venoshock's TM, you have to beat the STOLEN CARGO! quest to gain access to it. well that's the problem. First off, as a reminder the STOLEN CARGO! quest has a specific gimmick, that being in the area an electrified plate zaps 5 of your pokemon to death and the 6th gets dropped to 1 HP. There is something significant about this.

1st is due to the rules of my run, using revives or a hyper potion is strictly banned.

2nd the game always leaves gloom as the one alive with 1 HP, no matter what party slot its in.

3rd, Gloom doesn't have the speed or damaging power to outspeed and restore enough of its health with mega drain.

Unless a workaround for this mission can be found, its back to the drawing board.

If venoshocks TM can be obtained this early it will be a huge advantage for my team allowing me to set up toxic spikes with cacnea and venoshock most of ketas pokemon to death. Of course this can't happen if there's no way for me to obtain the move. 

Edited by DaPika2

11 hours ago, DaPika2 said:

Quick short update, I did some experimenting towards venoshock's TM, you have to beat the STOLEN CARGO! quest to gain access to it. well that's the problem. First off, as a reminder the STOLEN CARGO! quest has a specific gimmick, that being in the area an electrified plate zaps 5 of your pokemon to death and the 6th gets dropped to 1 HP. There is something significant about this.

1st is due to the rules of my run, using revives or a hyper potion is strictly banned.

2nd the game always leaves gloom as the one alive with 1 HP, no matter what party slot its in.

3rd, Gloom doesn't have the speed or damaging power to outspeed and restore enough of its health with mega drain.

Unless a workaround for this mission can be found, its back to the drawing board.

If venoshocks TM can be obtained this early it will be a huge advantage for my team allowing me to set up toxic spikes with cacnea and venoshock most of ketas pokemon to death. Of course this can't happen if there's no way for me to obtain the move. 

You battle the trainer to the left of the warehouse, get his electrike to use discharge, which shuts off the field and thus shuts off the electric plates, then defeat the elctrike before it can use discharge again. Then you can pass through the electrified plates and have an easy double battle with the gang as Venam helps you out. 

Ok, So I grabbed the TM's echoed voice and venoshock after a bit of work. They have potential to sweep but its about time I brought up the run killer. Each gym leader has a magical seed mon, or a pokemon with an item that boosts in their field. Ketas seed mon as I will call it, is a shiny ninetails. The magic seed boosts Sp. Atk and sets up magic bounce. The problem is that it outspeeds every pokemon I have except deerling. the best deerling can do is sand attack, which may give me an rng based opening I can abuse, but I have o be extremely lucky to get past ninetails with enough pokemon and strength to finish the fight...

6 hours ago, DaPika2 said:

Ok, So I grabbed the TM's echoed voice and venoshock after a bit of work. They have potential to sweep but its about time I brought up the run killer. Each gym leader has a magical seed mon, or a pokemon with an item that boosts in their field. Ketas seed mon as I will call it, is a shiny ninetails. The magic seed boosts Sp. Atk and sets up magic bounce. The problem is that it outspeeds every pokemon I have except deerling. the best deerling can do is sand attack, which may give me an rng based opening I can abuse, but I have o be extremely lucky to get past ninetails with enough pokemon and strength to finish the fight...

I dont really know your team, but if i were you im gonna use a Vileplume with Chlorophyl and Stun Spore that Ninetales, then your main attacker can go and finish the job, you can get a leaf stone in Gearen park.  its a hidden item.

Remember to make it as bulky as possible with max HP and SP Def and possible some invesment to the Speed

Victrebell also works in this case

There're many ways to exploit this gym using grass type especially since ninetales has a drough

1 minute ago, fellowry said:

I dont really know your team, but if i were you im gonna use a Vileplume with Chlorophyl and Stun Spore that Ninetales, then your main attacker can go and finish the job, you can get a leaf stone in Gearen park.  its a hidden item.

Remember to make it as bulky as possible with max HP and SP Def and possible some invesment to the Speed

There're many ways to exploit this gym using grass type especially since ninetales has a drough

OK i just checked and realized you used it on victreebell, now grab a ability capsule and change its ability, then just use Stun Spore and  pray to RNG Gods

8 hours ago, fellowry said:

So two things here, First TEAM UPDATE, They took way to long to crop and almost crashed my PC, anyways, other than that where can I get an ability capsule? I checked the guide and the only early ability capsule I can get is from the breifcase in a story event which I unfortunately passed.

Screenshot (65).png

Screenshot (64).png

Screenshot (63).png

Screenshot (62).png

Screenshot (61).png

Screenshot (66).png

Edited by DaPika2

I may not have found any luck with my team but maybe this pokemon I caught in route 2 would come in handy XD

Can't evolve it since for some reason most of the grass types I have need leaf stones but it should be fine... Moveset is gonna need some work but nature power is pretty good.

Screenshot (68).png

Screenshot (70).png

For some reason (idk why) camoflauge is bugged in this arena and wont change deerlings type, maybe because its already part normal type

Edited by DaPika2

Seeing how you stumble on keta, this will be a hard journey, I think you need to plan for the battle ahead

Here's a list of Major Trainer Battle Team on intense, you can use this to plan your team and prepare a counter strategy beforehand 

Also Don't forget to EV train, Stats can spell victory and defeat in intense

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, well I have been ev training, thats not an issue, however its not exactly easy to put a ton of time into the run recently, not only because of lack of motivation, but also just lack of time. School and my other responsibilities makes it difficult to keep grinding.

On 2/2/2021 at 7:31 PM, DaPika2 said:

Also he has Naive nature so his defense will suck but he most likely will become the fastest member of my team

You can turn Nuzleaf into a decent mixed attacker with Leaf Blade, Fake Out and Dark Pulse(available from a TM later on in the game). Fake Out is not a very powerful move, but nonetheless extremely handy in some situations. 

• 2 months later...

Well it's been a bit since I've spoken of this run in any sort of capacity, I am still making attempts and I had a minor setback when my computer chose to delete my saves, so good thing I made a google drive backup! It took me a bit to get back to keta since I made my backup after defeating Venam but I'm still hoping I can make progress, I'm making sure to get the same team members I lost from progress but hopefully I can make more progress in the run soon but I wouldn't make any promises, Keta's shiny ninetails is ready to thwart any and all progress I attempt to make.

My best bet may be waiting for v13 to see if they either nerf keta (wich is unlikely) or give access to a grass water or grass ground type this early, of course I am aware turtwig exists (wich would've made venam AND keta way easier)

• 2 weeks later...

Welp Keta destroyed me... again, The best I can get his Ninetails to is red health but after that he just pulls an uno reverse and sweeps my team. Nuzleaf outspeeds due to clorophyll and can pull ninetails to yellow health with nature power turning into judgement, and deerling outspeeds with pure speed alone, I could maybe beat ninetails if I raise deerlings attack stat high enough but idk

Well quick update, shortly after the previous theory I beat ninetails and got keta down to his last two pokemon, then lapras sat on me, it may be possible but my pokemon need to learn how to avoid getting frozen

Maybe you can try getting leavanny / swadloon. They have chlorophyll as an ability. They also have some moves they can learn ( all within the current level cap ) that can help: most important of all is grass whistle, it's all still up to chance with low hit chance on 55% but still better than nothing, note: only swadloon can learn it on lvl 1 so be sure you have a heart scale. They can also learn struggle bug to lower Ninetales' sp.atk while it's asleep. And lastly, as mentioned somewhere above there's nature power that will turn into a powered up judgement. 

Now to get the sewaddle ( if you haven't caught it already ), it's a reward given by challenger Mars in Goldenwood Cave.

Edit:  I have found a way to negate the activation of Ninetales' magical seed that's available by that point: Roserade with the move grassy terrain. Budew can be found as an event in gearen park, then just evolve it into roselia. Now for the shiny stone: up to that point in the game there's only 1 shiny stone available an can easily be missed. It's only available in the Thief's dungeon during the get an item quest and choose the left door right before the exit. Then evolve roselia and go to the move relearner and let roserade remember grassy terrain.

This might take quite some time and you'll be using some non grass types for this, but not in any required fights. Learning you cacnea the egg move switcheroo. So for this you'll 2 non grass type pokemon, first you'll need a linoone with switcheroo ( go to the move reminder for that one ), next you need a buneary which can be obtained in gearen by trading a cherubi. Now breed the linoone and buneary so the newly hatched buneary knows switcheroo. Then breed cacnea with the new Buneary so the hatched cacnea can learn switcheroo. 

Be sure grassy terrain is still up while he switches in Ninetales, then just use switcheroo on it so it can't use the magical seed when the field turns back.