Madame X Yveltal and unfair fights in general

Kenneth

Sawk got me an easy victory this time (i used to lose before), but i was wondering...

FIRST QUESTION: Is there any other way to earn you a legitimate win, over this fight? Decimation is a custom move that bypasses surviving abilities, is priority and worst of all, Full Restores are being used in this game version.

Also, both this area and the next with Gym Leader fight inside the jungle, although manageable, they put a great deal of pressure on you, because you are locked out of other game areas and especially Gearen (for EV training mostly) and Sheridan village (for breeding mostly), plus previous areas with more wild pokemon to catch and choose from that could be of niche use. The lack of reliable XP gathering and/or rebattable trainers is very noticable in this version, with the first audino trainer being inside the docked ship, now. As is the absence of Link Stones and Focus Sashes up to this point, that in Reborn, we would have already gotten/discovered at least one, during the gameplay through that much content...

Those unfair fights are a little troubling, though (even if i managed to pull through them all). Especially the very first, Mandelis' Houndoom. Reborn allows much more versatility against special boss fights and doesn't lock you out of your own mons, or forces you to endlessly be tormented against seemingly impossible RNG coincidences, that have to stuck together or esle! The concept is very nice, as well as the design, but the execution is indeed borderline "unfair". Finally, fighting Madame right after Neved, without save or chance to visit pc, was actually pretty brutal.

SECOND QUESTION: Will some of those fights will be redesigned, since some of them suddenly appeared in later versions out of nowhere (i 'm looking at you, Madelis!)?

8 minutes ago, Kenneth said:

Sawk got me an easy victory this time (i used to lose before), but i was wondering...

FIRST QUESTION: Is there any other way to earn you a legitimate win, over this fight? Decimation is a custom move that bypasses surviving abilities, is priority and worst of all, Full Restores are being used in this game version.

Also, both this area and the next with Gym Leader fight inside the jungle, although manageable, they put a great deal of pressure on you, because you are locked out of other game areas and especially Gearen (for EV training mostly) and Sheridan village (for breeding mostly), plus previous areas with more wild pokemon to catch and choose from that could be of niche use. The lack of reliable XP gathering and/or rebattable trainers is very noticable in this version, with the first audino trainer being inside the docked ship, now. As is the absence of Link Stones and Focus Sashes up to this point, that in Reborn, we would have already gotten/discovered at least one, during the gameplay through that much content...

Those unfair fights are a little troubling, though (even if i managed to pull through them all). Especially the very first, Mandelis' Houndoom. Reborn allows much more versatility against special boss fights and doesn't lock you out of your own mons, or forces you to endlessly be tormented against seemingly impossible RNG coincidences, that have to stuck together or esle! The concept is very nice, as well as the design, but the execution is indeed borderline "unfair". Finally, fighting Madame right after Neved, without save or chance to visit pc, was actually pretty brutal.

SECOND QUESTION: Will some of those fights will be redesigned, since some of them suddenly appeared in later versions out of nowhere (i 'm looking at you, Madelis!)?

first question: cursed body for sure, i think endure works too

valarie imo isnt too unfair, you have an alright selection of mons before her even outside of floria (ie: vikavolt, amoonguss, can get tangrowth and abomasnow in blacksteeple, jumpluff). first audino trainer also is in goldenwood town, not the ship

disagree with the entire madelis fight portion though, melia having to rely on rng makes sense in context (melia's mons are all ko aside from her weak hapi). it happens both in the fight (which is meant just to be a way for the player to be more immersed in the scene imho) and outside (when hapi uses teleport), though you're right some other non-MC battles being a bit unfair (can rly only think of aelita vs ren though), but i think they're still a good tool to train your strategizing skills if anything

• Upvote 1

Curse body would work, but needs revives, much more itemization to prevent wipe and repeat at least twice total. Although you take no damage from Struggle, which is nice... I got and regularly use Shuppet this play, but i went with Sawk this time. Endure works only with Struggle and not with Decimation, because the latter deals damage equal to your pokemons max HP, securing the KO and foiling all Sturdy and similar abilities, all in one go.

Hmmm yes, i was lucky enough to grab an Abomasnow, but i missed Foongus and i don't know where and how to evolve Vikavolt, i can only have its 2nd stage. Valaria gave me hell, really.

well the thing with madame x is ur actually SUPPOSED to lose the fight and very little atm changes aside from snippits of dialogue but yea to win it there only "easy" way is to cheese it be it by PP stalling and running intimidate mons to weaken struggle down as well as A LOT of revives as for valarie u can screw over her team with something that has access to water absorb/storm drain tho i dont recall if u can get shellos by then but if u have a vaporeon with aqua ring and water absorb for its ability u have a good start there

and much like madame x's yveltal the fight against madelis' houndoom is tricky and on intense is really only winnable with luck as u need to pray that metronome gives u something like hydro cannon/origin pulse hell maybe even rain dance might help but idk

either way the madame x and madelis fights are technically supposed to be losses tho only minor dialogue changes with the madame x fight if u and and u do gain +1 affection or w/e the stat is with melia if u win against madelis' houndoom

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Kenneth said:

i don't know where and how to evolve Vikavolt, i can only have its 2nd stage. Valaria gave me hell, really.

it evolves by leveling up charjabug on terajuma island

if you have a spare rare candy (which you probably will?) you can push Snover up to 41 to learn Blizzard, then level it back down to 40. Valarie has no way to change the field back and icy field neuters her team since it turns off swift swim and makes her water moves way less threatening. Her lead shouldn't be able to OHKO Abomasnow unless you're like 0 HP/Def IVs and a -def nature

It's definitely annoying on a blind playthrough since your only options to improve your team are likely gonna be the pokemon in the jungle itself

• Thanks 1

Really? Terajuma levelling = Vikavolt??? Then, Terajuma levelling = Probopass, too? Damn it, i was none the wiser...

About the +1 rare and then -1 reverse candy i actually knew, since ages ago i made Floatzel evolve for an early fight that wasn't supposed to be... But i also didn't even think about it at that tight spot. Thank you, will keep notes (although Abomasnow was actually rare, i farmed hard in castle to make that Sawk ready and only 2 ever appeared).

As for the jungle you 're right, after the party i also happened on a guide with local terajuma pokemon against Valarie (which even gets you covered up for intense and is hardcore, no items etc). It recommends Toucanon and Shiinotic, among other things. But i bet your Abomasnow field changing is easier.

Hmmm, and various people find Reborn to be too hard! I wonder if they ever played Rejuvenation... After getting well acquainted with it, Reborn feels like "easy mode" (plus, it never made me to train/rotate more than exactly 9 pokemon, all the way to the currectly released endgame, while Rejuvenation has me training a bunch every gym leader/important fight come)!

9 hours ago, ArcBolt27 said:

as for valarie u can screw over her team with something that has access to water absorb/storm drain

Argh! I completely forgot! The Shadow Cacnea and Finneon from Goldenwood Forest attack! Oh damn it, i 'm starting to become senile 😢