Funny observation about Melia and the cast.

Magus543

I was writing a post on the motivations of the heroes, and while writing it, i realized a not so small number in the cast crush on Melia. Let's see, Venam is the most obvious, she had a love confession back in V10, and replaying the game, you realize what a kiss up she is to Melia, does anyone remember Venam's Team Melia line or when we stole Karrina's boat and Venam said she wanted to take a vacation just with Melia, and basically treated us as a third wheel? Or when she interrupted our hang out with Amber because she didn't see Melia in 5 minutes.  I'm pretty sure she's on this adventure because she really wants to be with Melia, like she only becomes part of the group on Terujuma after reuniting with her. Don't worry Venam, it's a teenage thing and you have a lot of emotions to deal with. 

Next we have Ren, who's initial alliance with Crescent is motivated to bring back Melia and how impressed she would be if Ren could manipulate Team Xen. Crescent's line about how this would even make Melia fall in love with Ren is highlighted too. And Ren is most affected when Melia calls him out on working with Xen. As Jan mentioned in the AMA Ren has sort of grown out of it and has his mind on the bigger picture. 

Then we have Kanon, who before being retconned into a literal magic slave, was a rival to Venam for Melia's love and was creepily obsessed with her, even in the latest versions, like watching her serve food in a maid outfit at the restaurant. In the older versions, he actually was a villain who teamed up with Vitus because he was into Melia, thank god that detail was changed.

Lastly out of nowhere, Thomas Blakeory tries to hit on her and propose marriage in V11, despite having not even talked to her before. He even lets her use his account because reasons and he's impressed with her trying to study. But isn't this dude like the headmaster of the school? What a sleeze bag. 

Hmmm, even in the non romantic sense, a lot of villains want her, Team Xen and Madam X want her power, Zetta wants her because he wants a family and she's biologically his sister, Melanie wants to absorb her and take the light powers, Spacea and Tiempa want to recruit her and teach her, Crescent is like her friend, Lorna wants revenge on her specifically.

No wonder she gets along with us, we are the only ones who don't hit on her.  Wait Rejuvenation isn't a harem game for Melia and we are the background character is it? I get confused sometimes. HA! Oh well, Aelita and certain other elements don't revolve around Melia. 

I find these observations pretty funny for some reason, but i will say it's a smart writing move to not make Kanon into another Melia fanboy. 

• Upvote 2

• Global Mods
38 minutes ago, Magus543 said:

Wait Rejuvenation isn't a harem game for Melia and we are the background character is it?

Yes this is Rejuvenation in a nutshell right here.

at this point I think Venam's got things pretty much locked in though.

For what it's worth though I'm pretty sure Thomas Blakeory is much more on the young side

Sometimes it do be feeling like we're just in the passenger seat in Melia's car while she drives it off a cliff.. *snif*.. Sometimes..

Venam is like the main heroine in some visual novel while Melia is the protagonist and we are that protagonist best friend who is slaved to make her live smooth sailing as in doing all the battle and solve all of her problem, truly we are the greatest wing man 

I do enjoy the dynamic we have with Ren and Aelita and it's not revolved around Melia. I mean us the trio feel like equals. Can't wait for Melia to make it all about her. XD.

I kid, i enjoy Melia as a character, but us being a passenger while she drives a crashing car is accurate. Still we have our duty and we must be her wingman because Jan says so.  hahahah

Melia's closest friends are Venam, us and Erin, like she already stole Aelita's friend. 

But really, Melia, Venam and us, AND Ren, Aelita, and us feel like they should be separate trios, feels right. 

2 hours ago, DerogatoryTrainer said:

Basically:

Reveal hidden contents

FbQrWjr.jpg

I can't carry it for you, Melia...but I can carry your ass through this game.

Agreed.. Yet Melia gets most of the credit from others..
She be like "Ah, but MC helped me A LOT" and then everyone turns around say "Hey good job!" and then back to Melia

1 hour ago, MhicKy said:

Agreed.. Yet Melia gets most of the credit from others..
She be like "Ah, but MC helped me A LOT" and then everyone turns around say "Hey good job!" and then back to Melia

I think part of why this is such a problem is because this game is pretty tough. Like we as the player want acknowledgement from the cast that we beat all these op teams and fields rigged against us, then an NPC takes most of the credit. Mind you it is clear Melia does care for us and doesn't view us as a favorite spear but one wonders about the rest of the team. Aelita and Ren i buy, but Venam... she's Melia's cheerleader, not the players, i won't deny some little satisfaction over beating her in GDC over the ribbons though, but i still like Venam don't get me wrong. 

1 hour ago, Magus543 said:

I think part of why this is such a problem is because this game is pretty tough. Like we as the player want acknowledgement from the cast that we beat all these op teams and fields rigged against us, then an NPC takes most of the credit. Mind you it is clear Melia does care for us and doesn't view us as a favorite spear but one wonders about the rest of the team. Aelita and Ren i buy, but Venam... she's Melia's cheerleader, not the players, i won't deny some little satisfaction over beating her in GDC over the ribbons though, but i still like Venam don't get me wrong. 

Well Venam and Melia are "clam sisters" so I get why Venam "sucks up" to Melia so much (wink wink nudge nudge)

Changing the subject a little, I am actually kinda glad we don't get to romance any of the characters in the cast, whenever a game does that I always feel like it's kinda forced since it's just nudged in there like it wasn't suppose to.. Besides with such a boring MC I get why no one feels like that towards them hah

2 hours ago, MhicKy said:

Well Venam and Melia are "clam sisters" so I get why Venam "sucks up" to Melia so much (wink wink nudge nudge)

Changing the subject a little, I am actually kinda glad we don't get to romance any of the characters in the cast, whenever a game does that I always feel like it's kinda forced since it's just nudged in there like it wasn't suppose to.. Besides with such a boring MC I get why no one feels like that towards them hah

It's going to be sad when everybody in the cast finds love except us, all alone despite our accomplishments with only Pokemon for company. I personally see romantic chemistry between the MC and Aelita the most but ehh the devs are probably going to ship her with Ren, i mean i see retiring with Aelita to be the new Sensei couple to be the best ending but it's Jan's game and he has no plans for romance. So the single life with animal battling for amusement it is. Maybe Nim will give us a call when she's not being homicidal? HA!

Either way, it's Melia he wants to be getting all the romantic attention XD. But speaking off boring MCs i actually was planning on writing some interactions that i headcanoned with the team for the Aevis and Axel avatars for which i have different personalities planned out. I already got jokes about how Venom's never at her job, surviving jerk Aelita, and my PC trying to get Melia to bring them more shinies. I even had this running sub plot of Aevis attempting to reconstruct a Genesect he retrieved while escaping from Blacksteeple, had a lot of computer jokes and dark humor.   

Melia: Hey Aevis, what are you doing with that Genesect?

Aevis: Isn't it obvious? It took quite a lot of hard work, but it was all worth it and i turned Team Xen's weapon to our side and will use it to save the people of Kritiline from Angie!

Melia: Actually she just froze the last person.

Aevis: Damn it all, i knew i shouldn't have wasted all that time installing windows into my latest Pokemon. 

Honestly, I don't mind being in the passenger seat. It's kinda interesting playing as a side character in the story. It's a fun idea to have what initially appeared to be a side character actually be the main character with super cool powers, instead of us inexplicably being the chosen hero.

I do understand why people dislike her as a character. When you start the game it's easy to see her as perfect and having no character flaws. But this is really not the case.

And frankly, I don't care about anyone being romantically involved. (Although it'd be nice if they were happy). Rejuvenation isn't about small feelings. It's about the fate of the many universes.

Edited by Delta3416
hang on, that sounds mean

Regardless, the best characters are Truckguy, Pianolady, and the various Team Xen Grunts we find trapped places. And I would really just like to retire to either Neo-Gearen or move in with Tesla when the story's over. 

Everyone else can bother with romance, I just want to not have to worry about everyone else.

6 hours ago, Delta3416 said:

I do understand why people dislike her as a character. When you start the game it's easy to see her as perfect and having no character flaws. But this is really not the case.

And frankly, I don't care about anyone being romantically involved. (Although it'd be nice if they were happy). Rejuvenation isn't about small feelings. It's about the fate of the many universes.

That's sort of the hold over from older versions of the game, where Melia was more mary sueish, then the game had a major overhaul. 

I'm just hoping there is a happy ending for the MC, like jeez they are in such a miserable place right now. For silent protagonist, the dev team did do a good job of making me feel attached. Maybe not love, just an affirmation that the cast don't just see us as a favorite tool they can abandon once the adventure is over.

3 hours ago, Magus543 said:

I'm just hoping there is a happy ending for the MC, like jeez they are in such a miserable place right now. For silent protagonist, the dev team did do a good job of making me feel attached. Maybe not love, just an affirmation that the cast don't just see us as a favorite tool they can abandon once the adventure is over.

I'm sure the devs will give the MC a happy ending. However, the realm of fanfiction is always available to those who desire a happier ending.

4 minutes ago, The Fangame Connoisseur said:

I'm sure the devs will give the MC a happy ending. However, the realm of fanfiction is always available to those who desire a happier ending.

Fanfiction of Fanfiction? I love the internet.

11 hours ago, Magus543 said:

Well i know how i'm spending the next few hours, thanks. 

You probably noticed, but just for reference: there are at least 7 Reborn stories on this very website, with various advancement levels (Candy's, Q-Jei's, three by J-Awesome_One, Evi Crystal's and mine), I dimly recall someone speaking of novelizing Reborn on fanfiction.net and I saw at least 3 links on the Rejuv fanart thread (plus J-Awesome_One's story -- although some of them may have been given up). Obviously though, the amount of liberty they take with canon may not suit your tastes (either too compliant, or too rebellious).

I'm too late for you, but this thread needs a warning nonetheless -- beware fanfiction, and more so for fanfiction of fanfiction! 😀

People's brains are such strange places... (and when it's not too weird, not too bad, it ends up being great and then you just can't stop...)

Edited by Mindlack

21 minutes ago, Mindlack said:

If you didn't pay attention, you have at least 7 Reborn stories on this very website, with various advancement levels (Candy's, Q-Jei's, three by J-Awesome_One, Evi Crystal's and mine), I dimly recall someone speaking of novelizing Reborn on ff.net and I saw at least 3 links on the Rejuv fanart thread (plus J-Awesome_One's story -- although some of them may have been given up). Obviously though, the amount of liberty they take with canon may not suit your tastes (either too compliant, or too rebellish).

I'm too late for you, but this thread needs a warning nonetheless -- beware fanfiction, and more so for fanfiction of fanfiction! People's brains are such strange places... (and when it's not too weird, not too bad, not too whatever, it ends up great and then you can't stop...)

You know what they say, 90% of fanfiction sucks. As for being canon compliant, ehhh depends but like most of the games here aren't finished.  So far i've been reading one fanfic that's basically a novelization of the game. Not bad. 

3 minutes ago, Magus543 said:

You know what they say, 90% of fanfiction sucks. 

I know the statistic, yes.
It’s a horrible one, too — it means people who can’t get access to the good works, and endless self-esteem issues (which, according to the stat again, are well-founded) and wastes of time for writers. 

I remembered from tvtropes that this famous statistic had a flip side, but, alas, I was mistaken. Only stubbornly optimistic people insist that the remaining 10% are great. The rest say that at least 90% of anything suck, and also the remaining 10%. 

About canon compliance (that’s insane considering “canon” is a fan work already 🙂 ), I meant that different authors will follow the story differently – some will stick to the game, some will take a few liberties here and there, and some will rewrite history completely – and you may like some of these options but not others. 

About that one fanfiction you’ve been reading – would you recommend it (and share a link)? 

16 minutes ago, Mindlack said:

I know the statistic, yes.
It’s a horrible one, too — it means people who can’t get access to the good works, and endless self-esteem issues (which, according to the stat again, are well-founded) and wastes of time for writers. 

I remembered from tvtropes that this famous statistic had a flip side, but, alas, I was mistaken. Only stubbornly optimistic people insist that the remaining 10% are great. The rest say that at least 90% of anything suck, and also the remaining 10%. 

About canon compliance (that’s insane considering “canon” is a fan work already 🙂 ), I meant that different authors will follow the story differently – some will stick to the game, some will take a few liberties here and there, and some will rewrite history completely – and you may like some of these options but not others. 

About that one fanfiction you’ve been reading – would you recommend it (and share a link)? 

Well on the self-esteem issues, i've been told that every writer has bad stories, and that they are a learning experience. No one is good the first times. As Taelia aptly notes in WLL failure is a good teacher. Sure some fics are hilariously awful like Adventures of Dark Yagami, some are clearly growing pains like certain Star Wars works, and some are horrible drivel like Cori Fall's work. Like i said before it's a red flag when the author bashes a character they don't like, especially excessively. But still fandom is quite capable of making good things in the fanfiction department like these games, otherwise you and me wouldn't be here. 

As for the fanfic i read to kill time, well https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13070694/1/Pokemon-Rejuvenation-Rise-from-the-Ashes Here it is. I think it's okay, but the OC MC may not be for everyone, and like that's the important thing. You know that feeling when you get invested in the headcanon you create for your character but your character is one of many and can easily be replaced? Yeah that feeling among others is the tricky part when writing novelizations for games like this.  But i'm a wierdo who likes novelizations for some reason. 

As for canon, there's like this quote from Superman Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow: This is an imaginary story, but aren't they all? (paraphrasing)  

The way I see it Melia and the MC are like Martian and the Hero of Kavatch from Oblivion. Your both the main characters and your both important for victory to be possible. The only difference is that the Hero gets a stature of themselves in Oblivion.

Edited by Bluedude

I feel like the whole percentage thing with fanfiction is more an 80% thing, or is somewhat based on tastes, but that's neither here nor there. Lord knows that I'll read them anyway, if only because it's a somewhat enjoyable usage of my time.