What pokemon to use against Amaria?

Kenneth

While Titania was completely wrecked by my underlevelled team, being a complete joke after 1-2 of her moves missed (BrightPowder saves lives and wins duels, as well as occasional Quick Claws!)...

That twisted, sick, psycho b_tch is a damn pain... Her pokemon are particularly bulky (no 1 hit KO against any, even with perfect IV and full EV train), hit like a truck and always outspeed mine (even with speed nature), plus are over 90 level.

I checked old discussions. Shedinja, they say! BUT! It can no longer learn by glitch the Swords Dance (one of the higher ups said episode 16 would "fix" that) even if smogon lists it in legit sets, plus one of amaria's pokemon has rock move coverage! Others say to turn the field in poison and throw a wild Excadrill in there (but my poison guys are one shotted and my wonderful mole, which wrecked Adrienn and stabbed Titania, cannot last long in there, one buff and/or one move and it's down!).

What are the options here? I think to start from making a water immune, Freeze-Dry Lapras and a Ludicolo Rain Sweeper. But i 'd like some surefire suggestions and quicker alternatives if possible, please!

I beat Amaria with two different ways in my two playthroughs, both times in singles. 

The first one was rather cheap (and it was Zekrom Amaria): I had a Gardevoir spam Calm Mind, and use X-Speeds, against Amaria’s first Pokemon, a Rotom that didn’t do much damage. Then I spammed Psychic/Moonblast/Magic Leaf (because I’m an idiot) and downed every mon but two (Lapras and that Pokemon that starts off bigger, I can’t remember its name). The rest of the team (with a few Revives) managed to handle them. 

I vaguely remember of someone boasting a much more successful approach, using a Quiver Dance Lilligant to 6-0 her (I think). 

On my second playthrough, I had much more time, and knew what awaited me (it was Reshiram Amaria). So I trained up a M-Venusaur and a Ferrothorn, both of them defense-based (toxic/leech seed/protect/offence plant move, that kind of set). 
With a few added potions from me, Amaria just couldn’t break through these mons. 

So my advice is:

1) Reduce her offence. Use Intimidate for physical sweepers, maybe screens, if only to get time to set up.  
2) Use status moves (toxic/leech seed are great for that, they turn everything into a matter of “holding out long enough”)

3) Amaria can’t power through bulky enough plant types

4) Use Revives. 

Edited by Mindlack
  • Upvote 1

Only singles Amy has rock coverage (Kipkip) but its stone miss so just equip Shedinja with bright powder, hope it missed and toxic stall her team to death.

Edit: ok it turns out Cirrus has shadow ball in doubles so Shedinja cheese is possible but you have to get rid of Cirrus/Kipkip first

• Thanks 1

So Amaria is one of those Gyms where I recommend fighting fire with fire, or in this case, water with water. I solo-swept Amaria with a Kingdra. If you Dragon Dance a few times, taking advantage of Dive should have you dealing MASSIVE damage to her team. Additionally, you can outrage to get rid of her Kingdra if you are nervous about being KO'd. I'd recommend, Dragon Dance, Outrage, Dive, and whatever other move you would like. I had surf for the convenience of being able to use it to get around the gym, although the move did nothing in the battle for me. Kingdra truly made that battle SO much easier and I never would have expected it. If you are really stuck, try it out. Additionally, you could always try to use a solid electric type like Magnezone.

• Upvote 1

From my experience, Tentacruel is a nightmare for teams that synergize with Water Surface/Underwater field. I've used one in Rejuv only though, didn't try it against Amaria, but it will very likely work really good against her as well.

And if you have other mons in rotation, I'd suggest not using mons that rely on speed and are grounded, since anything that's not water type loses half its speed on her field.

• Upvote 1

Also, if you can use Sludge Wave, do it: that will turn her field against her.
(And if she manages to clear the waters, you can Sludge Wave again)
As for mons: my bulky sludge wavey Garbodor did pretty well against her; Toxapex can be a good choice too imho.

• Thanks 1

Another way to beat her is using air ballon (this way your speed isnt cut as long as you wont take a hit)

I beat her using a fire mono once. Was pretty funny using drought ninetails and thyplosion or other pokemon with solarbeam against her. Most of her pokemon perish this way with only one or 2 hits, plus if you do take a hit because of drought you may survive one or even 2 hits to then take her out. 

Its important to beat the dive pokemon before they can attack

• Like 1

Spoiler

try electric attacks?
...don't say you didn't see that one coming

it's been a while but I remember using Drought Ninetales once (I think her behaviour has improved against that? or does she still kick herself onto the rainbow field?)
then just regular battling cuz AI was oofing against that

...and one other time (in singles?), a Sturdy Donphan with Heat Rock + Sunny Day into a maxed SP DEF Roserade that also held the according Seed and thus could take an ice beam ; use growth to +6 during sunlight (or maybe +4 first and needing to extend sunlight once more -with- Roserade? there was something going on there) and then giga drain everything

• Thanks 1

From what I can remember from my last fight against her, I used an Adaptability Crawdaunt w/ Crabhammer to absolutely destroy her. 
This was however in doubles with our fight underwater and the only problems were the Vaporeon and Seismitoad lead which both have Water Absorb I think, but I'm sure you can rid of them with foliage or something

• Upvote 1

I beat her in doubles pretty easily. Had my Tangrowth use Grassy Terrain to destroy her field and Hariyama to set up sun, then swept her with Tangrowth + Leafeon. Her big advantage is the speed and power boost she gets from the water, so your best bet it to take that away from her.

• Upvote 1

Managed. Thank you everybody! Special mention and kudos to the Air Ballon, since my Manectric did a large number on her with that one (and the electric field move)!

Other than that, i used my Nidoking with Focus Sash, as well as an Araquanid (with that speed reducing web + mirror coat), a Ludicolo and a Freeze-Dry Lapars. Didn't even know what hit her!

Will certainly use something of all the things you mentioned on Dark Difficulty, when out! I would have never thought of all these myself, this community is a great place to hang out! Cheers!