Fire Emblem On Forums: Mortal Transgressions (IC)

RedMageCole

lizavetaneutral.png

"Would you... perhaps like to talk about it one on one, then? Um, if it's not too personal, I guess. I have some... very specific thoughts about this particular part of the mission, so..."

lizavetasmile.png

"Maybe I could soothe some of your worries! And I guess that we all really only have each other out here, so it's probably a good idea to help each other."

Really, if only people were willing to help each other out in general instead of scramble to step on each other, the world would be a better place.

ujhWfOm.png

"I admit, Masuda, part of my rejection of your plan was grounded simply in surprise at the thought. But now that I think on it, pretty much everyone else here wants to get out of as soon as possible, yes? This is by default the best opportunity we've had in months, and does anyone see a better one in the future? Sure, the plan is terrible, but it's the only one anyone has had so far, and I don't trust my ability to come up with a better one, at least on my own." Hinabe walked closer to the room, smashing his fist into his palm. 

BSOWDgL.png

"But I do trust my fists. I trust my gut instinct on this, and I trust the people that have been brought together here." He then raised his arm into the air, fist first. "After all, there's no powder keg more dangerous than a locked room full of Rians. Or at least mostly Rians, as far as I can tell."

ntqVJVs.png

"Heh... Suit yerself. Though it seems at least ye might have a new friend in that young lad right there..."

Simeon replies to Reiko, before deciding to leave her be as Hinabe comes to talk to her.

Crimson looks like chatting is still extremely strange for him.

8iEEqWS.png

"If he has a plan, I'd love to see it. Especially if it actually somehow manages to be better than the previous plan. But I at least agree; I'd like to not die because of someone else's idiotic mistakes, especially when I still have things to do myself. If only I had support from the outside to actually properly aid in an escape... I can't stay in this hellhole. I already nearly punched a hole in my wall out of sheer loathing that I have for that warden and these guards that keep me locked up here." 

A small sigh comes from Crimson as he caps off his words.

----------------------------------------------

bFZXdn5.png

"Good questions, Mink. I still maintain confidence that we'll be able to get through the prison, and I doubt they'll be on high alert after Diezel; it's highly unlikely his route was to the prison and wherever his destination was, we'll get to the prison far before word reaches them that Diezel hasn't arrived. As for the prisoners... they're locked up very tightly and rarely let out, so unfortunately I wasn't able to see them. However, I did witness one of them get sent out to an execution once... it wasn't pretty; the man was screaming, pleading that he didn't mean to trip the guard over and that it was an accident... very strict prison, which is why I don't fancy it staying up."

Lenore sighs.

eleanor-mug-eyes-closed.png
"Well. Never thought I'd be going to prison, let alone willingly."
eleanor-mouth-open.png
"At least it'll be good to get rid of people like this. Even if it's not how I'd choose to do it. Granted, "seduce the warden, steal the keys and free everyone while slipping away in the chaos" isn't your modus operandi, huh?"

One on one? The thought was nice, but... Ferdiad offers her a cursory smile, anyway, to show that he's grateful for the thought.

ferdiad_frown_talking.png

"You're very kind, but there's nothing to be done about it." He'd realized a long time ago that seldom did words of consolation have the desired effect on the whirlwind of worries occupying his mind. "I keep thinking about the possibilities and all the ways this might result in something even worse than it had been before. I'm afraid I do this with just about everything."

He shakes his head, not wanting to say too much.

"What are your thoughts about this mission, then? I'm curious to hear, if you wish to share."

ujhWfOm.png

"See, Crimson? That's what I'm talking about! We can break through any barrier if we all work together!" He gave a strong laugh, that gradually became more forced and weak before stopping altogether. 

g6ATJk3.png

"No one's with me on this, huh? Not even Masuda? Figures with my luck. Alright, new plan. I attack the guards alone. No Masuda, no one else. That way, if it had no chance of succeeding, you all can at least claim innocence. If they kill you anyways for being in the same room as me, then know that they were probably going to kill you on a whim the day after anyways. But my gut tells me they won't, and then you can save your strength and live to fight another day."

"There's a lot about you all that I don't know, and likely will never know. All I know is, you're all in a bind with your backs against the wall, and if I don't even try to help you get out of it, then I will already have died. This is the only way I can live, by doing what I can."

A...very slight knot forms in her stomach as it dawns on her that she might have just accidentally talked this person into getting himself killed. That much...is something she doesn't want to abide, not on her account. It's not as though at least some of his words don't ring true--she at the least very much does want to get out as soon as possible, and there's no telling if she'll have another opportunity for the rest of her life. But, still...there's no denying that it is highly risky.

At the same time, this person...perhaps he is a little different from the average human, or at least the image of an average human she's developed. A bit duller, maybe, but with a strange sense of...the word was, optimism? A dumb optimism that bordered on infectious in its energy. That much in itself didn't properly describe it, but she simply didn't have the words.

u3qc958.png

"...Good grief. Don't get yourself killed on our accounts, you dumbass. I don't want it on my conscience that I pitched a stupid idea and accidentally worked someone up enough to take on a suicide mission. We can put our heads together on a better plan to escape if we can  get along long enough to talk, but I won't have anyone throwing themselves onto a guard's pike." Her words are harsh, but her tone seems...softer, somehow.

Lizaveta's expression became quite serious, suddenly.

lizavetaneutral.png

"I know for a fact that Perus enacts gruesome punishments on people simply because they got in their way. I've... done research on it. I've read a great deal about the things that Perus does during the course of my time in my university, and very near to every action of that regime in pursuit of what they would like to have people believe is "justice" is appalling."

Lizaveta's face hardened further.

lizavetaneutral.png

"First and foremost, Perus has designed its system of jails and executions to keep its merchant lords very rich, and very powerful. They'll put you in jail -- or kill you on the spot -- for challenging their monopolistic enterprises in any way, for resisting the exploitation they thrive off of, or even trying to reach above what they deem to be the position of the peasantry and the urban workers. They are all about keeping their power to as small a number as possible, and keeping as much of it as possible. It's sickening.

Solemnly, Lizaveta nodded to herself.

lizavetaneutral.png

"I have no doubt that that jail has many people in it who are simply victims of Perus, and who the Perusians are going to kill when they feel like it. People who would leave orphans, or people who would die young for no other reason than to satisfy the power-hungry desires of that country's elite. I... had some worries... about our battling just now, but... I'm looking forward to this next part. These people need our help."

The sudden shift into severity catches him off guard. But the more she talks and he can see the hard conviction and cold fire in her eyes, the more he realizes just how invested she is. So, this is why she had joined Virtuous, then? To enact justice on the Perusian elite? He has little direct experience with Perus, but he can't deny that, from what little he has seen, many of them are, in fact, as corrupt as she says. Even so...

ferdiad_talking_doneface.png

"... Yes, of course. I won't deny that some of them do." His agreement lacks much muster behind it, though.

ferdiad_frown_talking.png

"... So, you detest the Perusians?"

lizavetaneutral.png

"I don't despise the peasantry and workers of Perus. At the core, all of the peasantry and worker classes are the same -- people trying to live their lives, work their work, and get by while they have to deal with the predations of those in power above them."

There was a slight pause.

lizavetaneutral.png

"The others, though, are rotten to the core. I... I suppose it would be fair to say that I do detest them."

While Ferdiad and Lizaveta were having their back and forths, Shin had had been silently listening from the back of the wagon. He'd gotten used to mostly just focusing on the here and now, but hearing the others voice their concerns about the upcoming trials sparked some thoughts on the future for Shin. Truthfully, he didn't know what was going to happen, and didn't really care up until recently.

24nnPmY.png
"What happens from here on.. huh.."

But sooner or later, he had to accept that he couldn't continue with the way he's been used to living. He's a part of a group now, he couldn't go on with only himself in mind. Shin decided that a good start would be to open up towards the others.. somehow.

Noticing the stop in conversation from the two earlier, he quickly reached into his pockets and pulled out pieces of bread he'd ..acquired from the recent battle, quietly moved towards the front of the wagon and gave both Ferdiad and Lizaveta a gentle tap on the shoulder.

24nnPmY.png
"Hey Ferdiad, Liz.. y-you guys hungry? I uh.. found this from earlier. I don't think it'd be a good idea to continue on with low energy. I'll give the rest to the others so, you guys can have this." He took a brief pause, before adding
"I-it's clean, I swear!"

He listens to her with quiet patience, but doesn't say anything in return. After gazing distantly down at the floorboards of the wagon behind her for a few moments, he only nods.

ferdiad_talking.png

Thankfully, perhaps, Shin interrupts them, freeing him from a need to answer. He looks at the offered bread and politely shakes his head, holding up a hand in refusal. "My thanks, but I couldn't stomach it right now."

"Ah, I meant to compliment your bowmanship in the skirmish earlier. That pegasus knight in particular. You don't seem like a soldier, but you must have had fine training."

lizavetaneutral.png

"Umm... yeah, okay. Sure, I'll take some bread. Thank you very much, Shin."

Lizaveta proceeded to start to slowly nibble at the bread -- she wasn't precisely tearing into it, though, and seemed mostly to be soothing leftover nervous tension by occupying herself.

AfgD7sE.png

Baldur tried to hold back his tongue after overhearing what she had just said. He was practically fuming in his seat. It took all his strength of will to not raise his hand against her.  "Stop it Baldur, it's not worth it... Just calm down..." He knew something like this might come up and if he was getting this worked up already he'd hate to think what'd happen in the future. At any rate, he needs to calm down, so for now he just starred out the cart letting nature's ambiance soothe him.

bFZXdn5.png

"Hah, it'll certainly be your last time in prison; with your cunning, it'll be miracle if you get sent. I'm afraid that isn't my modus operandi indeed, never been much of a flirt myself... but I don't doubt that you'd be able to do just that in that case. You give Minstrel's flirting a run for her money."

A pause.

"...Though I'm hoping we can start to try and do a little more on the negotiations side... this battle is going to be rough and I'd rather not subject you or the rest of the team to more bloodshed than necessary. I know you're all capable of it... but I can hardly call myself a leader if I can't at least make sure morale is okay. When we get home tonight, I'll have to certainly try and put a lot more work than I usually do into dinner... you all earned it."

eleanor-mouth-open.png
"Don't worry. I've got my misgivings about blasting my way in, but that doesn't mean I can't do the job you took me in for, boss. Besides, if these people are really as brutal as you say, we're not gonna have time to find some points of negotiation, not unless you want to wait longer for another window of opportunity. Cons take days of preparation to do on one man, let alone an entire prison full of guards."

puy5Ygj.png

"Heh, I guess it does. She tried the same on me, all the time - did you know she tried to use Myrdwyn as some kind of advertisement for me? Like, "she can take you flying! How many girls can do that?". Cecily laughed a little - if their mother had caught anyone with that before they left, it probably wouldn't have ended well. "I knew too..." Not that she liked having to kill people, something clear in her voice. "Anyway, I hope that the mission works out well. If there's anyone innocent in there, we'll get them out, yeah?"

faquppZ.png

"Yeah. 'The mighty heroes, after disposing of the wicked peddler of drugs and sin, went on to free the innocent souls wrongly imprisoned.'" Justine put on a voice as if she were narrating a play, before swapping back to a more normal conversational one. "Kane believes it should be mostly innocents, and, well, I've already trusted him to bring me around the land with a group of heavily armed complete strangers - not that they're strangers any more - so it would be silly to start doubting now."

O6VH93c.png

"...Thanks for the concern. My mouth must've been moving faster than my mind. Not too bad when you don't have the time to, but right now, we still do. We do need a better plan than that if you're all gonna get out. Let's see..." A few moments of thought passed before he had an idea. 

ujhWfOm.png

"What if, after the first guard, we steal not only the weapon, but the armor? That way, I'll be more likely to survive a group of enemies!" 

g6ATJk3.png

"...But wait, that'll make it harder for me to move around. I won't be able to fight at peak condition."

bFZXdn5.png

"...Hah, guess you're right. Conning an entire prison full of brutal thugs would be pretty tricky... once again, not that I don't have any doubts you would be able to given enough prep time."

Kane gives a nod; his eyes don't let up off the road, but he has a slight beaming look to his face.

"It's very good to have you on the team, Mink."

A look of concern appears on Shin's face for a brief moment upon Ferdiad's decline. But he decided not to press further.
24nnPmY.png
"A-ah.. thank you. I wouldn't call it anything special though, it's just something I happened to be decent at.. hahah"

a nervous laugh escapes Shin, not knowing how to handle compliments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shin then slowly inches towards Baldur, hesitating a bit, seeing as he looked like he did NOT want to be disturbed.
24nnPmY.png

"H-hey Baldur, thanks for healing me up back there. I, um.. appreciate it, really."

Shin then breaks off bigger piece of bread and offers it to him. 

"Here, y-you should have some ..going on empty wouldn't be a good idea."

Edited by Shauntaro

AfgD7sE.png

Baldur glares at the rat.  "Gods give me strength..." Couldn't he already tell he isn't in the mood for chit chat. Though he was just trying to be nice so he couldn't fault him there. 

MbTOG3X.png

"Oh no, PLEASE think nothing of it. I was only doing what Phoenix asked of me, nothing more, nothing less." Baldur couldn't help but speak with a hint of annoyed sass. He glanced down at the... offering a waves it off.  "Sorry, I'm not that hungry. You should eat it." There was no way he was gonna touch that soiled bread.

Well, as long as they've gone back to the hypotheticals of it...though, if they don't have something solidly better by the time the guards come back then she's ready to hold him back from doing anything suicidal.

z4Nzu3g.png

"Much the same is true for me. My training was more with mobility than durability in mind...Father explained it as, 'even a boulder may crumble with a persistent enemy, but the leaf blowing on the wind may move freely and without fear.'"

u3qc958.png

"The whole thing is more dependent on things I cannot control than I'd like, to be honest. If the guard wields an axe or a lance, then I am still defenseless...I've never so much as picked one up so I'd more than likely be worthless with it. If more than one comes in at once then with our current support the only reason to attempt such an effort would be if you longed for death. It's....galling."