On 12/6/2018 at 9:15 PM, Strider said:

"Nothing like the good old city grime to make a place familiar. And yeah, Navin, can't say I've heard of the other two, but I've ain't ever been much of a geography nut." Liliya murmured her response, giving the place a look around.

"We going out to the main street Solomon? How're they gonna take to our. . . diversity of appearances?"

Solomon shrugged and took a couple of steps towards the exit after he heard Liliya's question, "Honestly, Mar stands out a lot more than the rest of us over here, he's the only one who bothered to put on a suit after all, and besides, most people in Seattle has learned to ignore anything that isn't obviously their problem, no one's going to risk their life by being the hero who called lone star on some oddly dressed and heavily armed career criminals....especially with how much they charge.." He peeked his head out of the alley for a moment to try and get his bearings before he set off towards the east, "And yeah Friedhold has it right, we should get moving before some thrill gangers decide that we're an easy mark."

As the party walked out into the brightly lit city streets they would notice how the crowds milling about the streets seemed to part to accomodate them, a sea of black, green, white, grays and god knows what else that seemed united in their unwillingness to be around the party.

The streets they passed by had some brightly lit storefronts advertising foodstuffs, soy based or otherwise, clothing, increasingly elaborate and oft impractical weaponry, restful sleep, virtual reality experiences, legal recreational drugs, and whatever a 'NERP' is with a cacophony of sound, which mingled in with the murmurings of the crowd, and the sound of seemingly countless ringtones and beeps going off to create a suffocating, cramped, and noisy atmosphere, broken only by the occasional quiet space occupied by what one could only assume were gang members or policemen.

Thankfully by this time the eight of you were getting close to the flat by now if Solomon could be trusted, and no one has stepped up to bother you yet, possibly due to how much the eight of you seemed to be somebody else's problem.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"They're selling... sleep," Halley checked out one of the storefronts which offered sleep services and definitely nothing else. She turned an eye to another nearby storefront offering VR experiences. "How do they even compete with virtual reality?" She moved away from the storefronts, baffled, and kept walking.

As they left the alleyway Friedhold, with some effort, hefted the Little Sister up onto his shoulder.

"Either you are getting remarkably heavy, or I am getting remarkably unfit."

Some time later he started noticing "VR" as a common term among shop displays, he had some idea what it might mean based on context, but he wasn't entirely sure and figured he ought to ask sooner instead of later.

"What is this 'Virtual Reality'?  Some kind of pocket dimension or brainwashing?"

"In a way. If it's anything like my world, the term just means a fake computer world you willingly go into for. . . games and stuff. Ypu'd wear a mask or something with video to make it immersive."

Liliya continued to walk, trying to keep it from looking as though she was paying too much attention to the occasional cop or gang member. Not too big a deal, since they seemed to not be interacting with eachother. Probably some kind of deals, which meant there wouldn't be too much worry if they didn't cause trouble.

"Hey Solomon. The hell is NERP? Also do you have any cash."

On 12/9/2018 at 7:19 PM, IntSys said:

"They're selling... sleep," Halley checked out one of the storefronts which offered sleep services and definitely nothing else. She turned an eye to another nearby storefront offering VR experiences. "How do they even compete with virtual reality?" She moved away from the storefronts, baffled, and kept walking.

Solomon gave Halley a bit of an odd look as the eight of them continued walking towards the flat that was supposedly 'just around the corner from here this time I swear', "Because people always want and need a safeish place to sleep on the cheap, and these hotels are...usually at least one of the two, that and besides you can't stay jacked in to VR all the time, that's a good way to burn your brain out."

On 12/10/2018 at 3:58 AM, Strider said:

"In a way. If it's anything like my world, the term just means a fake computer world you willingly go into for. . . games and stuff. Ypu'd wear a mask or something with video to make it immersive."

Liliya continued to walk, trying to keep it from looking as though she was paying too much attention to the occasional cop or gang member. Not too big a deal, since they seemed to not be interacting with each other. Probably some kind of deals, which meant there wouldn't be too much worry if they didn't cause trouble.

"Hey Solomon. The hell is NERP? Also do you have any cash."

He stopped for a brief moment to peek inside of an alleyway before he shrugged his shoulders and continued with, "NERPS actually, it's a term for 'whatever fad the general public thinks is interesting nowwhich uh, can be basically anything by this point...it's been a while. Also not really? I think the credstick I have is still valid for..30ish nuyen? Which is uh...not really enough for anything."

Heidbrun

Well this is one unfriendly looking street you just found yourself in, if the small squad of people dressed in white over blue glaring at you suspiciously was any indication. Judging from the way they were positioned around the entrance stair way they were on, it seemed as if they were in the middle of a conversation when something quite suddenly grabbed their attention, and since they were all staring directly at you and the apparently slightly glowing wall you uh, apparently walked through....

It took a few awkward moments and a lot of gesturing before one of their number, a young man with pointed ears started walking towards you, adjusting his long and flowing platinum blonde hair a little as he put on a two tusked smile, and tried his best to not look like someone more used to dealing with social situations by threatening to snap someone like a little twig when he said, "Hoi! Good evening, are you lost chummer? Because no one's supposed to be walking through walls in Angel's territory, 'specially not through any under our protection," in as non threatening of a tone he could muster with his deep and rumbling voice. From this distance you can clearly see a symbol of a crimson edged halo made out of lightning backing the number 46 on the right breast of his white feather trimmed blue jacket.

Heidrun looked about slightly nervously. She knew traveling through the slums of Edge could be hazardous, but she didn't think her route had taken her through any gang territory. Not to mention the unusual appearance of the one in front of her; pointed ears weren't exactly common, though it could be chalked up to the crumbling ruins and pollution of Midgar. "Walls?" She glanced behind herself, expecting to see more street. . . and instead found said glowing wall. "O-oh. Uh, I'm not sure where this is or how I walked through that wall; I was trying to get to a patient." Relying on the good nature of strange gang members was. . . questionable, but she would try her best to avoid an incident anyway. "I'm a healer, and I heard that there was an illness going around that wasn't responding to the medicines they had on hand." Even gangsters would avoid hurting healers, right?

Heidbrun
(Theme Song)

The pointy eared man gave her a bit of an odd look and stared directly into her eyes  for a moment, as if he was...looking for signs of something before he turned to look at the sides of her head and said, "Oh, did Estevan call you? I know that he's really desperate for help,, but I didn't know that he could afford a poindexter....well then, that's something I'll have talk to him later then, after you heal his ailing mother of course, I'm not heartless after all," there was a brief and awkward pause after he finished speaking, as if he was waiting for you to say or do something in response before he said, "Estevan did call you right? Because unless you're just too shy to ask for directions, then I'm going to have to take you in for causing static chummer.".

"Estevan?" Oh, she shouldn't have questioned it. If she just lied and said yes she could have helped whoever this person was and moved on. "I don't remember the name of the person that needed me, I just heard of the place they were. Er, but I can still help him out after coming this far!" She really, really wanted to avoid being "taken in." It'd be one thing it it were police, but gang members tended to be even less gentle. "I um, I don't know what you mean by causing static, but I don't want to cause any trouble."

Hildebrund

The pointy eared man sighed a little as he heard Hildebrund's reply, "Wait wait...let me get this straight, what you're telling me is that not only did you also don't know where you are, or who you need to get to, only that you heard of a place where someone might need a doc and decided to head there?," he let out another sigh as he tried to wrap his head around her response and worked out a response, which he was just about to do when another gang member yelled out, "OH FOR THE LOVE OF, JUST GIVE HER A PATDOWN AND TELL HER TO GET OUT OR SOMETHING."

Everyone Else

(Theme)

Meanwhile, as the rest of the party turned around the corner they spotted yet another gang crowding in front of yet another building, except these were dressed in an all too familiar mixture of blue and white, and the platinum blonde hair at least one of them was sporting seemed a bit...familiar. "Oh God she's multiplied!," Solomon yelled out as he squinted at a particular example and realized just how much they were trying to look like a certain...meteor chucker, causing him to quickly duck behind Alexandria and say, "Alright so apparently Lexiel has a fanclub now, which isn't....great, especially since they're right in front of the apartment Harlequin's in, of course it's not like they can stop us from entering by force anyway....but pissing them off might be a bad idea if we want to operate openly anywhere around here without you know, being harassed all the time, anyone here have any ideas?."

Hildebrund

As the pointy eared man turns around to yell affirmatives at his friend, you spot a rather strange group of...people? turn around the corner, I mean sure one of them seemed to be a robot statue, but everyone else seemed...mostly human at least, if a bit heavily armed and armored for the occasion, were they members of this gang as well?. It was at this point that the pointy eared man turned around to face you again, and he sized you up once more before he said, "Alright chummer, I'm going to need you to state your belongings and put down that pack of yours, I need to make sure that you didn't steal anything from that apartment you phased through."

Heidrun felt her heart leap into her throat. "N-No, please, I didn't steal anything, all I have with me is a bit of gil and the clothes on my back. Please don't touch me, it's very dangerous." Realizing this sounded like far more of a threat than a warning, she blanched - these didn't seem to be the types that would take kindly to threats - and backed up against the wall she'd just apparently walked out of. "I-I've been exposed to Geostigma, you see." A long shot; they might not have heard of the cure, if she'd been transported to some far-off place, and might believe that the disease was contagious. While she wasn't symptomatic, she had noticed some. . . unusual effects on herself after the disease's appearance in her area, so it wasn't even a lie.

"Hey over there!"  Alexandria strides into the scrum of street thugs around Heidrun without a hint of fear of either the gangsters or the possible disease.  Because neither is any threat as far as she can tell.  "I am afraid I shall have to advise you both to back off, before someone does something rash."

Freidhold grunted quietly as he lowered the child down on the now less crowded area.  With a soft sigh he stood back and watched Alexandria and Mar deal with the group of thugs, probably for the best considering how his last encounter with similar types had gone...

Around that time the little one decided to speak up and ask a question.

"Why are those people dressed like the Angel?  Not the singing angels, the walking talking one."

Friedhold looked slightly confused, or at least surprised by the topic of the question.

"I...do not know.  Solomon, why--  Oh I see."

"So it's a gang fanclub for Lexiel? Just tell them we're friends, right?" It might not be that simple, but Solomon couldn't go around asking for ideas if he didn't explain why it wasn't as simple as that, Liliya told herself.

"If not, we could maybe pay them off, offer them some weird magic or tech that we have on hand. Bribes ain't the best long term, but we're not gonna be here long term. . . " The current goal seemed to be intimidation, but well. . . she'd just watch a bit to see how that went over.

Heidrun didn't seem too keen on getting any closer to the robotic woman, though it didn't seem she was with the gang, at least. "I, um, wasn't planning on anything rash, I just don't want to get anyone hurt. These people seem to think I've stolen something, but I really have no idea where I am. This doesn't look like any part of Edge, but I don't know how I got from there to here." Was she being remotely operated? Heidrun vaguely remembered a remotely operated animatronic cat seen around Shinra and AVALANCHE; perhaps this robot was something similar. Though, the chance of it being Shinra tech made her wary. The company seemed to have turned over a new leaf, but it was hard to forget. . . everything.

On 12/14/2018 at 6:19 AM, DragonRage said:

"Hey over there!"  Alexandria strides into the scrum of street thugs around Heidrun without a hint of fear of either the gangsters or the possible disease.  Because neither is any threat as far as she can tell.  "I am afraid I shall have to advise you both to back off, before someone does something rash."

Alexandria and Mar's entrance was greeted by every single gang member conspicuously reaching for their concealed weaponry, ranging from small pistols, machetes, that one girl carrying around a pipe everywhere for some reason, and in the case of the long haired ork standing right in the thick of it, absolutely nothing, because unsurprisingly enough he didn't feel like dying tonight.

He tried his best to keep his cool as he calmly said "Whoa there! Now just hold on, none of us here were about to do anything rash weren't we?". "We were just having a polite discussion with this young woman here about boundaries and why walls aren't meant to be stepped through right gang?," this statement caused a bit of affirmative sounding murmurings among the gang as they slowly moved their hands away from their holsters.

"And I just wanted to get a once over her belongings to make sure she didn't steal anything on the way out you read? Just doing my civic duty and watching out for my fellow man, of course that was before she stumbled back and started acting out a retro chipdrama but you get the gist, right?," he took a slight step back when he said this, presumably part of his ongoing quest to not be within punching distance of the walking greek statue and the suited orc.

On 12/14/2018 at 10:32 AM, Strider said:

"So it's a gang fanclub for Lexiel? Just tell them we're friends, right?" It might not be that simple, but Solomon couldn't go around asking for ideas if he didn't explain why it wasn't as simple as that, Liliya told herself.

"If not, we could maybe pay them off, offer them some weird magic or tech that we have on hand. Bribes ain't the best long term, but we're not gonna be here long term. . . " The current goal seemed to be intimidation, but well. . . she'd just watch a bit to see how that went over.

Solomon begrudgingly moved on to hide behind a much less bulletproof wall as Alexandria moved on, and he turned around slightly to quietly say"That might work actually, assuming they knew her by name of course, for all we know they're just a bunch of psychopaths who decided that dressing up as one of the arcology bombers was a good way to earn respect," before he peeked his head out again to get a better look at the situation.

"I already told you, I don't have anything on me except some traveling money. If I could just phase through things, wouldn't it make sense for me have done so to run away from you?" Her voice still held a waver of fear, even if it was also becoming slightly indignant at this point. "I don't want to do anything except get to where I was going, and all I have is pocket change, please leave me alone." She still hadn't moved away from the wall; she had her reassurance that the newcomers weren't involved in the gang, at least, but that didn't necessarily mean they were friendly to her. "I-I'm just a healer, I wouldn't be able to sneak around and steal things from people if I tried."

Alexandria considers the gangsters, Heidrun, and her allies behind her, and their relative positions. She raises her right hand, and a bright yellow hexagon is projected in it. Then, hundreds of identical planes join the first, extending into a shimmering barrier that extends between the gangsters and Heidrun, while also giving her allies space to take cover if they want to. “There will be no shooting today, thank you.  This conflict will not be resolved with violence.  One would hope all parties can act with maturity.”

The situation with the gangsters, with its continual kind-of-escalation that kept moving up and down between “fight” and “non-fight”, caused Navin to sigh and scratch his head as he somewhat awkwardly took the situation in. The raising of a barrier between the gangsters and the tall robed woman didn’t much alleviate his worry, and he finally spoke up, directly to the tusked man. ”Look... I am sure that you can see that we have all sorts of strange things at our disposal, and I can see that you do not seem to want conflict; in my experience, showing off abilities in the shadow of a possible fight does not tend to end well, so perhaps instead of responding you could just... walk away, and all of us could be on our way?”

"Or, and hear me out here, this polite fella," Liliya gestured to the one who seemed to be speaking for the gang, "Can have a look at what the woman is carrying. We'll all sit down real polite like, she'll show what she's got, and we'll see whether anything looks stolen."

"Now Ms healer, if you haven't stolen anything, that should be perfectly fine, right? And we'll all be here as witnesses, so there's no need to fear these folks doing anything to you. Of course they wouldn't but, now there's even less reason to worry about it."

As she speaks, Liliya walks out into the middle, on alert for any warning signs that the situation might end with her getting shot or injured in the very near future.

(Liliya will walk out if "I've got a feeling of some sort" doesn't tell her that she's about to be murdered)

Spoiler

"I've got a feeling of some sort": Liliya will get a general sense of whether something bad or good is about to happen at GM discretion. It is the responsibility of the player to bring attention to this trick.

"I, okay. I don't have anywhere on me that I could have put anything except for here." A small satchel hung at her waist; she ceased pressing herself into the wall and opened it up to reveal. . . Almost nothing, except for a coinpurse. Without being prompted, she opened up both; the coinpurse contained small, silver coins with square holes through the center in various sizes. "See? You can, um, scan me if you want. Remote controlled bodies that are that elaborate usually have lots of sensors on them, right? If you still don't believe me you can scan me, just please don't touch me." 

"See? It's pretty easy. If that's not enough for the Lexiel fanclub, we can try more complicated options. They might not be as much fun, but we could do it without anyone touching you, and it shouldn't hurt long as you aren't a thief. Or, yaknow, maybe that satisfies them. They seem reasonably upstanding city folk."

"Anyway, you're not from around these parts, if I had to hazard a guess?" Either that or she was an extremely inexperienced thief. Like, at the very least the girl should have checked her exit locations, and would have a better excuse as to why she'd stepped through a wall.

Venus

Venus didn't say much as he followed his allies through the somewhat familiar town, musing over his surroundings before being interrupted by a sudden confrontation amidst an alleyway. Although Alexandria's shield was a proactive measure of protection -- a wise move, as most would consider it so -- part of him doubted the action, if only to what he could comprehend was that it was an act of altruism, the defense of a little girl against a group of armed, pushy street rats...dressed uniformly. Bland, lacking in idiosyncracy. Regardless, he decided to simply observe and not intervene. The young woman, a healer, as she described, was now the centre of attention, but there was doubt in him still despite the circumstances, knowing that women could be as charming as they were dangerous, as with every rose came its thorn, the bite of an attractive red and black of a widow spider enough to kill with a single bite. Or perhaps there was truly no veil to the girl, and it was likely that the group would know more from her later. Somewhat irritated over the charade, he attempted to convince himself to be ruly, knowing that there was no attracting unwanted attention as per the previous briefing, as Venus' fingers resisted the urge to reach for his paintbrush and withdraw it then and there. His time for art would come, but now wasn't such a time. 

Alexandria gives Heidrun's words all the consideration she feels they deserve.  Then, the ancient android reaches out and gently pokes Heidrun in the forehead.  "I am not a drone.  Really, why do people always assume having squishy bits makes them somehow superior?  I do just fine without them, thank you very much."