Navin crouched down and let out a long, quiet sigh as the unfolding situation with the ghost continued. "...oh... of course. Do you think she is the same as that spirit...? I am afraid that I cannot quite tell... and I am not very useful in this sort of matter, either." Navin paused as he considered the situation a little more. "She is speaking Chinese, I am not sure if it is Mandarin or not but either way I cannot tell what she is saying. But..." Those flashes of memories, and this place in general, made the situation that had caused all of this abundantly, terribly clear. "She may have been either an immigrant, kidnapped, or a victim of a human trafficking ring bringing people in from abroad. Either way, whoever it is that acts as heroes here have failed seriously in their vigilance. ...but from the looks of this entire world, I suppose that is not uncommon. At least this facility itself is no longer active. Is there anything that you can do for her?"

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm not actually sure I can help," Heidrun admitted. "She isn't malevolent like that. . . thing." She almost shuddered at the thought of it. "I'm trying to. . . how do I put it? There is a flow of life that runs through us all and the earth itself. . . at least where I'm from. This place doesn't seem to have a Lifestream like my home, but the same ideas might apply. I want to see if I can clean the corruption out of that energy here, and bring her back into the cycle of life and death."

On 6/20/2020 at 12:29 AM, Strider said:

"I can assure you, whether there are more of us or not, this is quite certainly within our capabilities. So, tell me, how will we contact you, if and when we deliver you your. . . prize?" A hint of disgust was apparent in Liliya's tone. But it was quickly suppressed.

"And, anything else we ought to know before this rabbit chase?"

Liliya, Alexandria

Junior rummages around in his jacket a little in search of something in response to Liliya's question, eventually taking out a...small notebook and a pen he had kept tucked away in a breast pocket, that's funny, you didn't peg him for a traditionalist. He flips to a semi random page, finding a blankish looking one he could write something down on, his handwriting is...about what you'd expect from an uncommon criminal living a century deep into the information age, but it's legible enough, forming a set of numbers anyone with even rudimentary knowledge of a phone would recognize as a phone number, presumably a mobile one. He tears it off the page, handing Liliya the crumpled up wad of generic paper substitute, "You may call this number to set up a meet once you have...subdued the shaman, but other than that? There's not much else you need to know, other than to watch out for any insect spirits that might be lurking in her abode, and whatever traps she had set out to defend herself from the many gangs that plague the barrens."

"Of course, her current location will need to...wait until this plan has obtained the approval of my comrades but, I think that an hour would be all that is needed for this, perhaps we can meet up in that bar again, unless you're willing to give me another way to contact you," and with that said, he slides the notebook back into whatever pocket he had fetched it from, and waits for a response.

Alexandria finds a piece of spare detritus, and drops it into her mouth.  She emits a faint grinding noise as her self-repair mechanisms are repurposed to break the trash down and transform it into a more useful format.  Then she spits a business card onto the table.  "I have analyzed local communications devices, and formatted my integrated phone to interface with them.  You should be able to reach me at this number."

"I am capable of synthesizing most small items as part of my self-repair functionality," Alexandria explains to Liliya, as she turns towards the door, "Otherwise it would be... difficult to find adequate replacement parts in the field.  The main limitations are size, and my own knowledge; I must know how to manufacture whatever I am producing.  I could theoretically reconstruct myself from only my processing unit, power source, and nano forge.  Though I would likely go insane in the thousands of years this would require."

Friedhold takes a few moments standing to one side of the door to try and determine if it is electrically run and what the default position is if it is.  And if hitting it with a large jolt of electricity would overload and lock it closed.
If it would he uses Electro Bolt to try and do so.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 4:45 AM, Chevaleresse said:

Heidrun took a deep breath. The energy filtering in was close enough to her home's that she thought she could manipulate it, but it reminded her of mako. She could take it in and exude purified lifestream, but she had only done so under extreme circumstances, and it had been nothing but toxic to her, and she actively rebelled against such a thing. Still, perhaps she could reintroduce this ghost to the normal cycle of energy in the world?

The healer focused for another moment. She tried to, essentially, pull at the energy nearby, seeing if she could separate it from the fell taint that had polluted it. If, somehow, this didn't result in any catastrophes, she would bring that flow of energy close to the ghost.

On 6/25/2020 at 10:38 AM, Chevaleresse said:

"I'm not actually sure I can help," Heidrun admitted. "She isn't malevolent like that. . . thing." She almost shuddered at the thought of it. "I'm trying to. . . how do I put it? There is a flow of life that runs through us all and the earth itself. . . at least where I'm from. This place doesn't seem to have a Lifestream like my home, but the same ideas might apply. I want to see if I can clean the corruption out of that energy here, and bring her back into the cycle of life and death."

Heidrun, Navin

(25 v 16)

The ghost had a slightly...inquisitive look in her eyes as Heidrun took a deep breath, and slowly started to tugged at the invisible field(?) of energy around them, and pulled a stream of it towards her, causing thin strands of white(?)/pure light to flow in her direction, mingling but never truly mixing with the brackish(?)/brown/sludge that she could now sense as permeating the very air. She pulled it all inside of her, as much of it that she could handle, and forced it to bend to her will, performing the painstaking process of pulling every little mote of mana free from the hopes and fears and lingering will of all who had lived and died here, until finally....

She's sweating, the room felt far colder now, and her stomach was churning something fierce, but she had it now, a shimmering orb of pure, life(?) aligned mana hovering just a little above the palm of her hand, and all that was left was to...offer it up to the ghost? Just spray the hot white stuff mana all over the ghost and hope it works out?. It didn't really matter how she did it really, but she had to choose soon, unless she just, wanted the ghost to walk over and touch it of her own accord, which would...probably happen sooner than later judging by the slight, shine in the ghost's eyes.

On 6/30/2020 at 12:30 AM, DragonRage said:

Alexandria finds a piece of spare detritus, and drops it into her mouth.  She emits a faint grinding noise as her self-repair mechanisms are repurposed to break the trash down and transform it into a more useful format.  Then she spits a business card onto the table.  "I have analyzed local communications devices, and formatted my integrated phone to interface with them.  You should be able to reach me at this number."

Alexandria, Liliya
There was an actual, honest to god expression of shock on Junior's face for a brief moment, as he saw the robotic lady casually grabbed actual trash from off of the floor and stuffs it inside of her mouth, only to spit out an actually decent looking business card onto the table in return, that he...picks up to very cautiously examine. The next words uttered out of the robot woman's mouth perhaps causing him to wonder if they were actually telling the truth, or if he was convinced to put his reputation on the line by a very convincing chuunibyou. "Yes, I'll be in touch," he eventually managed to say, with a far more neutral expression on his face than before.

Friedhold

On 6/30/2020 at 11:48 AM, StormLord said:

Friedhold takes a few moments standing to one side of the door to try and determine if it is electrically run and what the default position is if it is.  And if hitting it with a large jolt of electricity would overload and lock it closed.
If it would he uses Electro Bolt to try and do so.

(28 v 8 )
With the short amount of time alloted to him, Friedhold could just barely determine that the door is both electronically locked and keycard operated, and that he would likely need to produce a very large amount of power in a shortish amount of time to overload the door's systems, and that judging by how he's almost an entire century forwards in time, it would likely be a lot more efficient to just throw some water on the floors, and create a nice and slippery coating of ice to distract anyone trying to run away while he finds a way to disable the generators or something, instead of....spending a drekload of time trying to figure out if the future's capacitors will give up before his cold war era magic does.

"I don't know if this will help you, but. . ." Heidrun held her hand out towards the ghost, allowing the energy to flow in her direction. "I have to help if I can, and it might. So please, take this." The feeling in her guts wasn't helping her maintain much control, anyway, and she wasn't exactly fond of the pollution that Heidrun had just picked up. Still, Heidrun was a a healer: it was her job to ease suffering, even if it was too late to do anything but that.

Alexandria exits the meeting place at her usual speed of 'I hope you aren't in a hurry' and heads back to the place the party agreed to meet.  Time to share the news of our diplomatic success.

On 7/14/2020 at 10:23 AM, Chevaleresse said:

"I don't know if this will help you, but. . ." Heidrun held her hand out towards the ghost, allowing the energy to flow in her direction. "I have to help if I can, and it might. So please, take this." The feeling in her guts wasn't helping her maintain much control, anyway, and she wasn't exactly fond of the pollution that Heidrun had just picked up. Still, Heidrun was a a healer: it was her job to ease suffering, even if it was too late to do anything but that.

The ghost glances at Heidrun's face for a moment, glancing up and down as she reached her hand out to take the orb, before she turned to her savior, and noticably...hesitates for a moment. The ghostly lady taking a moment to say something in some Chinese dialect that no one in the room understanded again at Navin, but with a....tone and, expression that made it quite clear that she was saying, "Thank you," or something to that effect.

She slips a finger inside of the orb, Heidrun feels a gentle tug on the mana she had collected, the healer letting a tiny stream flow inside of the ghost, causing a slight smile to form on her face. She slips another finger inside, causing another stream to join the one from before, and form motes of light that dance all around her arm. Color was already starting to return to her cheeks by the time she skips ahead, and thrusts the rest of her hand inside, pulling the orb of mana free from Heidrun's control, and absorbing it inside of her, that smile widening little by little, until with a final flash, she disappears, having passed on to whatever counts as a lifestream in this world....

Heidrun gains

(Trick) Pass On: Heidrun is able to help incorporeal dead pass on to their final resting place if they are willing.

Heidrun let out a breath she hadn't known she was holding. "I. . . I think I did it." She clasped her hands in front of herself and looked down, as if she were praying. "Although I didn't know your name, I hope that you can rest in peace, and find happiness in your next life." The healer stayed silent for a moment before looking back up at Navin. The brief moment of bittersweet happiness she'd found in helping the ghost began to drain away once more, replaced with the familiar creeping anxiety of the situation she found herself embroiled in. "Do you, um, think we should keep looking around here? I doubt there are any criminals hiding nearby, with that thing making this its hunting grounds."

Having mostly just watched the process of Heidrun allowing the ghost to move on with an air of what could best be described as "rapt awkwardness", unable to contribute at all to the process but ultimately at least glad that this suffering person could finally find a way out of all the pain that this horrible place had brought. When it was finished, Navin let out a long, quiet breath. "We may as well look around to see if there is anything that needs handling for the sake of public safety, or anything that is potentially useful. You are probably right that the group that stole the briefcase is not here, and I am hoping that the fact that this thing was here means that nothing else dangerous is, but I do not know that I can leave anything else like this here in good conscience. If there is any sort of useful equipment here, it would at least make visiting this place worth our while in another sense, anyhow. We can afford to be a little cursory about it, though, so long as we don't let down our guard."

• 1 month later...