Venus

Venus had followed the trio quietly behind them as they ventured deeper into the abandoned warehouse, stopping a short distance away as discussed their next course of action. The warehouse housed a variety of unpleasant scents, the foremost of which he expected to be blood given the rumors of underground organ trade, but he could not make the scent out easily from the other factors that contributed to the stench in the air.  As Heidrun appeared to conjure a light well enough to illuminate their path, he thought of the idea that as much as light would illuminate their way, it put the bearer as much at risk of being easily detected and vulnerable, should there truly be anything sentient existing within the area. Sound as their reasons were to opt for the left path, Venus preferred to see the big picture, the greater scope of possibilities. A contrasting situation of the two paths, one with a maze and one without, seemed too cliche. Too convenient. 

Or perhaps it was merely his own thrill of the unknown that spurred his contrarian ideas.

"Perhaps we can access more ground if we divide ourselves for a moment?" The artist suddenly spoke up. He knew that he had wax and some materials that he could make a candle's light out of. "I can conjure a source of light myself, albeit...only temporary.  Given your light," He addressed Heidrun, "I doubt it would be fairly difficult to rejoin later on. And while what you said is true," He then turned to Navin, "I would assume that should there be...any adversary within this dull setting, they would be more likely to strike from the more accomodating route for us. I propose we diverge into each route in groups of two, though I'm a fair man--I'm no stranger to a...democratic arrangement." His inscrutable gaze from beneath his mask then eyed Solomon, knowing that he had the final say in their course of action given that Navin and Heidrun had opted for the left path. 

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Navin opened his mouth, turned, and frankly gaped for a few moments at Venus' appearance... no matter how many times some of his stealthier compatriots at home snuck up on him, he never got used to it. At least he was often reassured that it was a rather international phenomenon to have a "hero of the night" or something like that pop in and out of absolutely nowhere, but, well, it still probably was not quite great to be caught off guard. However, what was perhaps a little more pressing was the man's suggestion, which Navin did not like one bit. Sure, he could not say that he knew the man or his capabilities well -- he had never spoken to him, and he had never had the attention to spare to his fighting among everyone's back in that horrific warzone (Navin shuddered, visibly if anyone could focus in in the low light)... but among the alarmingly many things that Navin had learned by experience...

"I must apologize, but I am not sure that is a very good idea -- no matter where our foes are, if they are indeed here, splitting up allows for a couple of us to end up in trouble more than the four of us together would, especially because this will leave us with one of the pairs having nobody to heal our wounds and the other of the pairs only having one person combat-capable... or at least I assume, please make me aware if I am incorrect, Heidrun. If there are traps around, being split into pairs and lacking access to a healer could end rather disastrously."

Liliya and Alexandria

The eastern European man stopped for a moment to flex his muscles in response, causing his faux leather jacket to visibly strain against his very obviously cybernetic limbs, "Only guns I'll need," the man replied, with a very slight but perceptible smirk on his face. "And I'll pass, through you if I have to," he idly threatened, still marching out of the bar, trying to casually brush past the smaller woman blocking his exit with his considerable bulk. Seems like you'll have to make him stop then, him and anyone else who'd come to his aid if you do, some of the gang members look drunk or desperate enough to try anyway.

Heidrun jumped as Venus suddenly reappeared, emitting a sharp, startled squeak. She held a hand to her chest as she breathed for a moment, trying to calm herself down. "Aah, you. . . Please, pleasepleaseplease don't do that to me." She looked back at Navin to finally answer his question. "Umm, yes. I can defend myself, but only. . . Well, it's not a good idea. The only thing I've done in the past is use a spell that links individuals together so they share harm. So, umm, yes, not splitting up sounds like a much better idea to me." 

"Hey, hey! I'm not all that strong you know. No need to shove." She had other tricks up her sleeve, and if Alexandria couldn't stop this guy, her plan had been simply to follow him, confident in her speed.

But for now, another five seconds of precognition, to determine whether she should draw her knife. Given what Mar and the demon kid had helped her do with it, Liliya felt there was a good chance that it could do some damage even to cybernetic limbs.

Liliya and Alexandria

(15 v 27)

Alexandria stepped forward to squeeze the man's shoulder...giving his cybernetic body a very deep tissue massage for a moment before he rolled away, not even bothering to turn to face the two while he walked away. "But I am," Junior said, in a dry and matter of fact way. Lilya meanwhile, would realize that keeping a hand near her knife would be really useful soon if they kept trying to stop him, since at least she'd be able to try and go after his eyes and joints, if nothing else.

Navin, Heinlein?, Venus, Solomon.

Solomon looked around the room for the briefest of moments, creeping along the walls near the entrance before he finally found what he was looking for, and flipped the light switches up, causing absolutely nothing to happen, "Yeaaaaah I don't know about that one, this place looks like a horror movie setpiece to me, and we all know what happens when people 'split up' in those..."

Friedhold

"Let's just get out of the rain first dear, it isn't healthy for a young girl to be walking about in the rain like that after all..," the old woman said, as she and the two young men started to walk towards a barrel fire they kept stoked under a hastily built shanty's canopy. "But oh how rude of me! I never introduced myself, my name is Lesya, and the fine young men I have with me are my sons, Scrapper and Kyle, they're not normally this shy around strangers..." she mused as the five of you finally took shelter from the rain, presumably huddling up close enough to the fire to feel some warmth emanating from it.

"That's because we don't want another escaped scientist in our community, not after what happened with the last one," the scruffier man called 'Scrapper' said in response, as he scowled a little at Friedhold. "What're you doing with that kid anyway?," said the chubbier, worse dressed looking one after his brother, you presume that this is Kyle.

"I am Freidhold, and this is Nessa."

He gestured towards the Little Sister as he spoke.

Freidhold sighed at the first man's complaints, they were probably well founded and honestly he wasn't exactly free of trouble himself.  But he did turn to answer the second man's question.

"Would you believe I am the closest next-of-kin?"

Venus

"Three to one. Very well," Venus said, plainly, deciding to respect the merit of moving together as a group. The startled reactions his colleagues had made at his appearance were a satisfactory consolation, the merest hint of an icy smile creeping up his unseen mouth. "We shall proceed with the initially proposed path, then."

Alexandria frowns, "Perhaps I should have put a higher priority on bringing offensive systems back online.  I don't think I enjoy not being able to restrain people without... unfortunate consequences," She raises a hand in the direction of the uncooperative cyborg, "Deploying alternative countermeasures."  A glowing hexagonal pane of pale yellow energy appears in her palm, hovering in an invisible magnetic field.  With a gesture, she sends the hexagon shooting outward, even as countless others just like it materialize in its wake seemingly out of thin air, linking up to form a barrier preventing 'junior' from leaving, glittering with hexagonal facets in the light of nearby neon signs.

• 1 month later...

Navin, Heindrun?, Venus, Solomon.

Bringing up his commlink to shine a bit of a light forwards, Solomon glances at the others for a moment, "Well then, left it is," he said, before trotting over with the rest of them towards  the comparatively more open left path, their light sources revealing that it led to a far more open space, that slowly sunk into a recess in the floor, with two seemingly raised paths on their left and right. The floor was stickier here than the four of you might be comfortable with, and it seemed that some meat hooks were still hanging from...something or other near the roof in the lowered center of the room.

"Wow, were they worried that it'd lower property values or something?," Solomon commented as he drifted on towards the recess, trying to get this little light of his to cut through the darkness enough for him to check the floors at least.

Alexandria, Liliya

The austrian's lips curl upwards a little as he ungracefully bumps into Alexandria's barrier, seemingly impressed by how solid it seemed to be, "Plenty of corps would kill for this tech, and you use it to try and restrain an unarmed man in a dive bar." He turns a little to face the two, finally taking them with some degree of seriousness now, "Got a good reason for going through all that trouble?."

Friedhold

"No...not really," Kyle replied, even as his eyes darted back and forth from Friedhold and the Sister's face. "What brings you here anyway? This place's pretty out of the way, even for a refugee," Scrapper asked in return, his tone of voice still suspicious and demanding. "Now now, most of us come here to escape our past, not to discuss it with everyone we meet, I'm sure that he has his reasons," Lesya interjected, trying to helpfully steer the conversation away from being a barely disguised interrogation.

Heidrun made a small disconcerted-sounding noise at the combination of the sticky floor and meat hooks up above. Certainly, it could very well be perfectly benign - meat had to be processed somehow, after all - but it took on a rather more sinister look in a darkened criminal hideout. "M-Maybe we should just go right." She started to move in the direction indicated, sparing a moment to glance at Navin as if waiting for the man to say or do something reassuring. Further glances were shot in the direction of Solomon and especially Venus, though those had a decidedly less expectant (unless fear counted as expectance) cast to them. 

Freidhold shrugged at Kyle's answer, there wasn't much more to say on the subject so he turned to answer Scrapper and Lesya.

"I am...passing through.  But I believe we may be able to help each other.  For one thing I can fix your leg."

He gestures to Scrapper who had been favoring one of his legs earlier, and then turns to Kyle.

"I may have something for your cough as well."

Navin's lips formed something of a grimace as he felt the floor stick against his shoe. "I do not like that. But... if this is in fact the hideout of the people we are looking for, it would be a bit off if this place were the most sinister possibility. Animal sacrifice seems not impossible... I cannot claim to know what is in here, though." Navin sighed, and then gestured for Solomon to follow him. "I think that the thing we are going to want to find out first is just what is up there, then... but in case there is something prepared there, or some... variety of supervillainous device, I suppose, I will be in front to make sure that you are not hit with it." Navin raised his fists to block if anything was incoming, advancing with Solomon to check just what the hell had the meat-hooks hanging from it. "We cannot afford to just let this go uninvestigated, though. I need to see if it is... something that shows a need for justice, or not."

"As I stated, a bioweapon was stolen.  We have reason to believe that the thieves will not practice safe containment measures, and unleash it accidentally or intentionally unless it is swiftly recovered.  We have reason to believe you are either one of the thieves, or closely involved with them," Alexandria narrows her optical sensors, making a show of looking over his cybernetics, "Your augmentations are likely entirely inadequate to protect you from the pathogens.  That I was sent to retrieve the stolen items should speak volumes as to the estimated odds of survival in the event of a containment breach... assuming you're not already infected, and simply haven't shown symptoms yet."

On 2/7/2020 at 3:13 PM, Powder Miner said:

Navin's lips formed something of a grimace as he felt the floor stick against his shoe. "I do not like that. But... if this is in fact the hideout of the people we are looking for, it would be a bit off if this place were the most sinister possibility. Animal sacrifice seems not impossible... I cannot claim to know what is in here, though." Navin sighed, and then gestured for Solomon to follow him. "I think that the thing we are going to want to find out first is just what is up there, then... but in case there is something prepared there, or some... variety of supervillainous device, I suppose, I will be in front to make sure that you are not hit with it." Navin raised his fists to block if anything was incoming, advancing with Solomon to check just what the hell had the meat-hooks hanging from it. "We cannot afford to just let this go uninvestigated, though. I need to see if it is... something that shows a need for justice, or not."

The four of them wandered in the dark for some time, their footsteps and shining lights flashing over rusty meathooks, scanning the ground and the nearby area for hidden entrances, potential victims, or really, just about anything to distract from the forboding aura of the room. 

Heidrun

Something about this place creeps you out, and it's not the gloom, the rusty meat processing equipment, or even how unreliable some of your allies seemed. The place just feels empty somehow, as if something has been taken from this place, and changed it somehow, something important....something familiar....hhey, why was this warehouse abandoned again?.

The rest

The air felt more off the further the four of you went, an odd cloying scent starting to pervade the warming humid air, it wasn't noticeable before, but now you can't help but notice it, the smell of decay starting to fill up the air, jabbing away at your constitution as your flashlights desperately sought the source.

Heidrun

Your light shines on the floor for a moment, revealing an oddly shaped metal tile before you, one that seems to have a conveniently placed handle, it was obviously a hatch, and while it'd be great if it lead directly to the other warehouse, there weren't any markings there at all! And it smelled absolutely terrible too!. Although it's not quite the source of the stench, as you soon found out when your focus slowly shifts to an outline further out in the dark, to a pair of legs that seemed to be hanging from something.

The rest

The three of you heard a slightly girlish yelp come from the librarian as he shone his own light over the legs , quickly backpeddalling closer to the group before he said, "Tthaat, that's not an animal." obviously referring to the whole human corpse the four of you just found, seemingly trying to hold back from embarrasing himself any further at the sight of the bloated man.

And now the four of you are in a dark and musty room again, but with a dead man hanging just a little north, which was an honestly not all too uncommon sight in abandoned warehouses these days...that sounds kind of depressing actually. Maybe the four of you should just; examine the hatch for now, if you can deal with the smell; it might be a good way to enter the target warehouse tomorrow, there's always the chance that the dead body's just a uh...movie prop meant to scare off hobos seeking shelter, yeah that sounds about right.

On 2/6/2020 at 11:02 AM, StormLord said:

Freidhold shrugged at Kyle's answer, there wasn't much more to say on the subject so he turned to answer Scrapper and Lesya.

"I am...passing through.  But I believe we may be able to help each other.  For one thing I can fix your leg."

He gestures to Scrapper who had been favoring one of his legs earlier, and then turns to Kyle.

"I may have something for your cough as well."

Friedhold

Scrapper seemed...more than a little bitter when said, "Yeah sure, that's what they all say..." in response, causing a brief silence to surround the five of you as he looked at the fire. Kyle meanwhile, just tried to politely brush you off with, "Thanks for the offer....but I'm good, the rain's gotten to me lately, but I just need to sleep it off and I'll be fine," before probably coughing a bit too loudly and vigorously for someone who is 'going to be fine'. 

"Or maybe you should stop being a stubborn ass and accept the doctor's help," Lesya bluntly said, in what was probably a worried and motherly way, "Yeah but...we don't have any money...," Kyle replied, right before his apparent brother chimes in with, "And I wonder what help you'd be needing doctor," in a not very polite way.

Friedhold raised his eyebrow and began rolling up the sleeve on his right arm.

"You are understandably suspicious, you need some proof."

With that he plunged his hand into the flames in the barrel, wincing as he moved it through the flames and watched the flesh burn off his hand, slowly starting to reveal the tips of several bones.  He pulled the hand out of the flames, still gritting his teeth.  He passes his left hand over it, now cloaked in dull green sparks that restore flesh and bone on contact.  After a moment more of healing he stretched the now fulled restored hand.

"Are you more confidant now?"

He rolled back down he sleeve and returned to a more neutral posture.

"What I need from you is one of two things.  Help me do something, or offer me enough information to do it myself."

Heidrun retched as she connected the sight to the smell, though fortunately for everyone involved it'd been some time since she ate and thus that particular process went no further. She backpedaled towards Navin (as the other two weren't exactly the types that invited going to them in a time of crisis.) While she caught her breath, she decided that the body didn't need any further comment than what she'd given, and instead tried to prioritize the information she'd just obtained. "Umm, by the. . ." A vague gesture at the hanging corpse. "There's a hatch, although it doesn't quite look like it's been used recently, and I can't imagine someone that does something like that would be terribly inclined to keep it clean, unless I. . ." She caught herself rambling, and inhaled - an action that sparked immediate regret, as set off a small coughing fit as she inhaled more of the stench of death. "Er, but there's something very worrying here. Other than, you know." Another flap of the hands at the body. "There's something. . . missing, here, something I can feel. Almost like the reactors back home, before they were all destroyed." 

"I'm just here for the ride. No self preservation and all that, you know! So, if you'd be so kind as to just cooperate, this will all go extremely smoothly." Not making a show of it, Liliya kept an eye on the rest of the bar. If this guy had friends, or anyone using this as a distraction to get out, they needed to know that.

On 2/12/2020 at 1:02 PM, DragonRage said:

"As I stated, a bioweapon was stolen.  We have reason to believe that the thieves will not practice safe containment measures, and unleash it accidentally or intentionally unless it is swiftly recovered.  We have reason to believe you are either one of the thieves, or closely involved with them," Alexandria narrows her optical sensors, making a show of looking over his cybernetics, "Your augmentations are likely entirely inadequate to protect you from the pathogens.  That I was sent to retrieve the stolen items should speak volumes as to the estimated odds of survival in the event of a containment breach... assuming you're not already infected, and simply haven't shown symptoms yet."

Junior seemed unfazed by Alexandria's words, only shifting his stance slightly to give her a 'better view' of his....very extensive cybernetics, he's more machine than man by this point, a titanium-gold alloy chasis with optimized human organs and cybernetically enhanced flesh. "Oh? Well that's a serious accusation, what makes you think that I had anything to do with the thieves? Or this...bioweapon you speak of," he said, with a slight grin on his face, it almost seems like he's trying to stall for time really...almost. "And do you even know what it does?." On the bright side, you're fairly sure that the info the documents gave you were accurate, it was his voice that was caught ono record after all....

Fortunately enough for Liliya though, no one seemed particularly hostile at the moment, even the gang bangers from before were...reconsidering their choices going forward it seemed. Although the bartender's more than a little twitchy at the moment, you reckon that he's got a shotgun or something stowed away under the counter, judging by how his hands kept lingering near it. He's probably just keen to get the three of you out of here before a fight starts though.

On 2/16/2020 at 11:55 PM, Chevaleresse said:

Heidrun retched as she connected the sight to the smell, though fortunately for everyone involved it'd been some time since she ate and thus that particular process went no further. She backpedaled towards Navin (as the other two weren't exactly the types that invited going to them in a time of crisis.) While she caught her breath, she decided that the body didn't need any further comment than what she'd given, and instead tried to prioritize the information she'd just obtained. "Umm, by the. . ." A vague gesture at the hanging corpse. "There's a hatch, although it doesn't quite look like it's been used recently, and I can't imagine someone that does something like that would be terribly inclined to keep it clean, unless I. . ." She caught herself rambling, and inhaled - an action that sparked immediate regret, as set off a small coughing fit as she inhaled more of the stench of death. "Er, but there's something very worrying here. Other than, you know." Another flap of the hands at the body. "There's something. . . missing, here, something I can feel. Almost like the reactors back home, before they were all destroyed." 

Meanwhile, Solomon turned up his nose at the suddenly present human corpse, quickly pinching it to try and stop himself from puking his guts out, before he slowly backed away little by little. "Yeaaaah, I don't think this is worth it anymore, I don't know about you, but I can't imagine there being anything inside that hatch other than more death and despair. Let's just go and call the uhh....police, who are definitely going to investigate this...if someone's paying them enough, fuck."

On 2/16/2020 at 5:52 PM, StormLord said:

Friedhold raised his eyebrow and began rolling up the sleeve on his right arm.

"You are understandably suspicious, you need some proof."

With that he plunged his hand into the flames in the barrel, wincing as he moved it through the flames and watched the flesh burn off his hand, slowly starting to reveal the tips of several bones.  He pulled the hand out of the flames, still gritting his teeth.  He passes his left hand over it, now cloaked in dull green sparks that restore flesh and bone on contact.  After a moment more of healing he stretched the now fulled restored hand.

"Are you more confidant now?"

He rolled back down he sleeve and returned to a more neutral posture.

"What I need from you is one of two things.  Help me do something, or offer me enough information to do it myself."

"Wait no!," Scrapper said instinctively, quickly trying to pull Friedhold's hands out of the fire before it got a bit too far, while Lesya panicked in the background a little. The younger man burning his own hands and fingerless gloves as he tried to yank the scientist's hands out of the fire, "Have you lost your mind?," he then shouted, before the scientist just...casually unfucked his hand with magic apparently. Meanwhile, Kyle's reaction to Friedhold's action was best described as a mixture of awe and abject terror, 'any man who would be willing to do that to his own body was someone to watch out for' he thought, as he stood there and stared dumbfoundedly at the man's now pristine hands, "Hand not burned," he absentmindedly said. Lesya meanwhile, continued to stare wide eyed at Friedhold for a moment, before she uh, tried to break the ice by saying, "Wwwhat do you want?."

Heidrun glanced nervously between Solomon and the hatch. "W-well, we need to keep investigating, and I don't think the police are going to help an awful lot. If they were, we wouldn't be here in the first place." She gingerly moved towards the hatch, prodding at it with one food. "And if they're doing anything like what I think they might be doing, it needs to be stopped right away, before someone gets seriously hurt or worse."

Once the hanging corpse resolved in his vision, Navin's expression immediately hardened into one of steel, unflinching and unmoving. Death and blood had been constant companions for a decade now -- to be a superhero was not always a job of shining white glamour, and when you fought evil, you had to deal with both the consequences of fighting and the consequences of evil. Navin had discovered across many fights, many crime scenes, many hideouts... and in war. He was not going to back down, not by a long-shot, no matter what he might find down below that hatch, no matter what he might find in this warehouse, no matter if this was even the bioweapon after all. The only flickers in his facial expression now, were a quiet sigh at Heidrun's words and then a steely glare at Solomon's. "The police may investigate this, as you put it they may not -- but are we simply to turn and run, and to drop danger onto their heads and pretend we never saw this place? No. We will not. There is something that has happened here, and it needs to be uncovered, and it needs to be stopped. I am a superhero, and we are all those who fight to protect the multiverse; we are defenders, all of us. It is our duty to do this."

Navin began to walk towards the hatch, ignoring the familiar stench as he spoke. "Even if there is only death and despair there, there must be people who are willing to face up to it. It is the creed of the International Union of Heroes, and one which most of us abide by: we fight when others can not, we fight where others can not, and we fight what others can not. We step into these dangers ourselves because it is the right thing to do, and we are those best suited to do it. That is what it is to be a superhero, at its core. It is also my dharma, my duty, my destiny -- the path I walk, even aware of the costs I may pay, because I must, because I will. I am a faithful primarily of the aspects of Vishnu -- a god who acts as the preserver of the universe in my universe. As a faithful of God, I cannot turn my back on its cause and the destiny I have been provided." Navin got his hands on the handle of the hatch, now. "And finally, we are all here as those playing his role for other universes -- if we were not here to protect and to defend, we would not be here at all. This role has been placed on us, but it is a worthy role, and it is one that must be taken on and pursued to its fullest extent. To cower the moment we come upon horror would be to turn from that. Heidrun, I thank you for your participation in this. Solomon, I will not force you to come with us -- you can stay, if you would like, but your participation would be appreciated as well. But as a superhero, as my dharma, as a faithful of God, and as are we all, a defender of the multiverse, I will continue." Navin opened the hatch -- and if it was locked, he poured all of his muscle into it in an attempt to open it anyway.

Friedhold looks out over towards the cell tower.

"That tower.  I need to have it destroyed or disabled at roughly four o'clock."

He turns and nods at Scrapper's brunt finger tips slightly.

"I apologize for causing that, I will fix it either way.  But if you can help me I can help you more."

• 4 weeks later...

Navin, Heidrun

Solomon rolls his eyes at Navin after hearing the man's proclamation, but...decides not to comment any further, after realizing just what happens to people who complain about something being too creepy, before running off by themselves in horror stories. Instead simply choosing to keep his light trained on the dead body...just to make sure that it wasn't going to try anything, it still gave him the creeps after all.

Navin for his part, managed to tear the hatch open easily enough, finding the rusty locking mechanism to be unable to overcome his raw unbridled musclepower, swinging it open to allow Heidrun's light to illuminate...the sobbing face of a young Asian woman, stuck inside of a tunnel that seems far too small for her to be comfortable. She flinches away from the light a little, seemingly not sure if her hiding place being discovered is a good, or bad thing.

Friedhold

(28 v 22)

"Well that's just..." Kyle said in response, seemingly a bit uncomfortable with what you were proposing, and Scrapper seemed to be on the verge of yelling at you again, when Lesya interjected with, "Then we have nothing to talk about, feel free to share the fire with us, but we cannot help you," with a commanding tone of voice you wouldn't expect from the nice old lady from before.. "Uhh, yeah, what she said," Scrapper added, after having the wind taken out of his sails by his mother there.

Alexandria, Liliya

(15 v 21,  24 v 15)

Junior stared deeply at Alexandria's face for a moment, trying to find a tell, something in the android's body language or expression that revealed a deception, or an attempt at misleading him, only to find none. "What do you know about this 'bioweapon' then?," he said, suddenly a lot more open to hearing her out than before, to the collective relief of most of the room presumably.