Really? (SPOILER WARNING)

Smoke

Spoiler

Another update, another battle to bitch about. It's not even about the Cain and Shelly double battle. That battle is a that really pisses me off. But the battle afterwards?! It's all kinds of unfair! First off, the Weavile just won't stop one shotting all my pokemon. This might be the chapter that needs a complete Charlotte treatment.

Post your team! That fight, at least among the gauntlet, was most people's easiest -- if you don't have priority coverage, fighting mons, high defensive mons, or dark/ice resists, you might have a bad time with Weavile, so if you want help tuning things up post your team.

23 minutes ago, Smoke said:
  Hide contents

Another update, another battle to bitch about. It's not even about the Cain and Shelly double battle. That battle is a that really pisses me off. But the battle afterwards?! It's all kinds of unfair! First off, the Weavile just won't stop one shotting all my pokemon. This might be the chapter that needs a complete Charlotte treatment.

I don´t quite get your point. A Weavile (that literally dies to a priority attack) beats your team and the game is to blame?

Spoiler

For me personally, the second battle is the easiest of the bunch, even though it wrecked me the first time I got to it (seeing as I hadn't expected there to be a followup match in the first place, I had no idea what to expect). Trust me, that weavile is the least of your worries on that team: there's a Mega waiting for you later on, and a lovely Moxie user that'll gladly sweep your face off if you aren't prepared for it before that (that's the specific poke that messed me up on attempt #1, by the way). I personally use the weavile as setup fodder so I don't have to worry about the rest of the team anymore- an important detail for sure, seeing as any Fainted pokemon at the end of the second match aren't revived when you go into the third!

For the record, my current loss count for the gauntlet is as follows:

Spoiler

Cain and Shelly: 18

Mysterious Dark-focused Trainer: 0

Mysterious Ice and Psychic-focused Trainers: 3 (friggin' crits and their ignoring Defense buffs property... 😡)

If you're really having too much difficulty for your liking here, and aren't a stubborn ball of Taurus Stereotyping like I am, I hear that volcarona makes the gauntlet in its entirety quite the threadbare window curtain. Quiver Dance, Heat Wave and Bug Buzz cover most of your basic needs, and a good ol' fashioned X-Defend will help it stay around when breaking weavile's Sash.

lol every episode there are more tears about x y or z dragon cannon.

Here's a tip for the mon you're complaining about.

Spoiler

Weavile has a Focus Sash if I'm remembering correctly so lead with something that can either break it through Priority or Weather.

Mach Punch from Breloom is good vs. it for a one shot and if it does have a Sash then just sack a mon to revive the Breloom and use it again. Breloom will be an insane amount of help vs. that particular trainer so if you wanted to use a Max Revive/Revival Herb on it to keep it at full health that'd be good. If you can't/don't want to get a Breloom then try using a sand setting Pokémon though most of them might die from super effective moves.

Another way to deal with it is getting a Mimikyu you get one for free and it's a high level at the start. Just level it up a bit and one shot the Weavile with Play Rough while taking a free hit and if it does have a Sash then you just use Shadow Sneak afterwards. You can always move tutor the moves you are missing because Idr if it comes with Shadow Sneak or not. If the rest of your team is slow you can also TM it Trick Room and have them outspeed the rest of their team.

Ah yeah I knew the battle guantlet was too tough for wild Pokemon. When I asked about it's difficulty being too high, it was greeted with replies saying reborn is tough and changing your team for each battle situation is a must. For the record I had a life orb Greninja, choice specs Noivern, Magnezone and IV bred Metagross and still came out with only 1 pokemon alive after 5 attempts.

So yeah....good luck changing your entire team.

Spoiler

I found the Cain/Shelly fight to be an absolute nightmare that I had to change my team comp quite a few times and had to use a few cotton candies and full restores just to get through.

Comparatively, I found most of the other fights in the guantlet cake that I did on the first try, with me only having to revive the five that still fainted in the first battle during Luna's round (and then one revive in the double).

4 hours ago, Smoke said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Out of curiosity: what is your team? I don't think we can really help you too much if we don't know what your team is.

For me, the second fight was the easiest. Having said that, that's also because my team (particularly my Mimikyu) happened to match up well against said trainer's mons. I can see how the second fight can make people struggle, particularly that Weavile. As such, I'd recommend finding a mon with priority or a good fighting type.

On 9/8/2018 at 7:15 PM, LilyX said:

I don´t quite get your point. A Weavile (that literally dies to a priority attack) beats your team and the game is to blame?

Spoiler

It is if your first pokemon sent against it is a ground/dragon Flygon for some reason, even though you first pokemon in the last match was a Metagross, and Weavile somehow outspeeds it every time.

Spoiler

My team:

Metagross lvl 89 Holding Metal Coat

Meteor Mash

Brick Break

Zen Headbutt

Strength

Flygon lvl 89 Holding Hard Stone

Dig

Earthquake

Dragon Claw

Rock Slide

Sharpedo lvl 89 Holding Mystic Water

Dive

Surf

Waterfall

Crunch

Gardevoir lvl 90 Holding Twisted Spoon

Moonblast

Calm Mind

Psychic

Grass Knot

Manectric lvl 89 Holding Magnet

Wild Charge

Thunder

Rain Dance

Discharge

Charizard lvl 90 Holding Charcoal

Flare Blitz

Flame Thrower

Roost

Fly

I have to say, looking at your team, it looks quite STRONK. A good amount of balance with that team, and pretty good power, as well. Having said that, I can see where you're struggling.

Spoiler

Past the first round, Flygon's your least valuable member. I would opt to replace it for this fight. One of these options may work for you:

1) Breloom (Shroomish is a rare encounter on Route 4)

2) Scizor (Scyther is a 1% encounter on Route 4 in areas without snow)

3) Aegislash (Honedge is found in the Mirage Tower, top floor)

4) Mimikyu (Mirage Tower again, but this time in that one secret chamber)

In addition to that, for future reference, it'd be best for you to replace Dig. Dig isn't necessary on Flygon when you have EQ. Instead, I recommend bringing Flygon to the move tutor and teaching it Dragon Dance. That move is pretty damn effective on Flygon.

Flygon's bad in this section. Real bad. So is Gardevoir unfortunately.

I'd swap those two out (and did actually since they were also on my team when I got to that point.)

Aegislash is great, and Poison Heal Breloom was my MVP. Breloom totally wrecks the second battle almost unassisted, and is amazing in the double battles as well due to Spore allowing you to put one Pokemon to sleep, wipe the other team out, and then battle 2 vs 1 against the remaining Pokemon.

For your other Pokemon:

Manectric does not need three electric type moves. ESPEICALLY not one physical and two special. That's just asking for trouble. Teach it flamethrower or something to give it more staying power against the bugs and...other things.

Charizard meanwhile does not need Flare Blitz and Flamethrower (nor does it need Roost since you can heal an unlimited number of times anyway). Remove one of those and give it...something else. Some other special (or physical if you are building that kind of mon) to give more coverage. Sharpedo doesn't need three HM moves either since you can delete and reteach them anytime you want. Delete at least one and replace it with ice fang or protect would be the best choice probably.

Edited by wcv

For these fights my volcarona and heracross were the mvps.

Volcarona @ Wise Glasses  
Ability: Flame Body  
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Quiver Dance  
- Bug Buzz  
- Heat Wave  
- Psychic  

Heracross @ Heracronite  
Ability: Moxie  
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Bullet Seed  
- Pin Missile  
- Rock Blast  
- Close Combat  

Lead heracross for the weavile.

His strongest attack to hit you with will be icicle crash and that does nothing.

252+ Atk Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heracross-Mega: 127-150 (52.6 - 62.2%)

Then you can easily kill him with PM or even the 100% accurate Bullet Seed.

Then I added a goodra as a special wall and a slowbro as a physical wall who can always live 2-3 hits (Especially AV goodra). This way i could heal my team up whenever I wanted.

The last 2 spots I don't remember that well actually but I'm guessing it was my escavalier and rhyperior. My Slowbro had Trick room and I remember that this came in clutch in the end of the battles.

Spoiler

If you are like me and refuse to replace a team member to make things easier, I suggest trying to find a order that makes it where flygon isn't your first pokemon or failing that giving it a quick claw and then finding a mon on each of the opponet's team that you can reliably tank (or cripple) so you revive and heal spam your way to victory.

Just get yourself an aerodactyl, mega evolve it and rock slide your way through Shelly and Cain. For the first battle I teamed metagross with my aerodactyl. I got through Cain and Shelly without any effort by combining rock slide and bullet punch. The rest of the battles aren't all that tough if you have a strong priority move like bullet punch on a metagross.

19 hours ago, Filthy Casual said:

I have to say, looking at your team, it looks quite STRONK. A good amount of balance with that team, and pretty good power, as well. Having said that, I can see where you're struggling.

Reveal hidden contents

Past the first round, Flygon's your least valuable member. I would opt to replace it for this fight. One of these options may work for you:

1) Breloom (Shroomish is a rare encounter on Route 4)

2) Scizor (Scyther is a 1% encounter on Route 4 in areas without snow)

3) Aegislash (Honedge is found in the Mirage Tower, top floor)

4) Mimikyu (Mirage Tower again, but this time in that one secret chamber)

In addition to that, for future reference, it'd be best for you to replace Dig. Dig isn't necessary on Flygon when you have EQ. Instead, I recommend bringing Flygon to the move tutor and teaching it Dragon Dance. That move is pretty damn effective on Flygon.

Spoiler

Thanks for the advice. I'd switch out pokemon if I could, but it's a gauntlet, so I'm stuck with the same pokemon from the first battle.

24 minutes ago, Smoke said:
  Hide contents

Thanks for the advice. I'd switch out pokemon if I could, but it's a gauntlet, so I'm stuck with the same pokemon from the first battle.

Well, you can switch them out before you start the gauntlet. Or are you somehow stuck between two battles? And as others already mentioned: Aegislash and Heracross-mega work wonders in this battle. Combine them with healing items and they can do the entire battle on their own.

If you still struggle to beat this part, you can upload your safe file and I´ll try to find a strategy that consistently works.

2 hours ago, LilyX said:

Well, you can switch them out before you start the gauntlet. Or are you somehow stuck between two battles? And as others already mentioned: Aegislash and Heracross-mega work wonders in this battle. Combine them with healing items and they can do the entire battle on their own.

If you still struggle to beat this part, you can upload your safe file and I´ll try to find a strategy that consistently works.

Spoiler

I would do the mega thing, but I don't think I have a keystone. Or are keystones not required? I wouldn't know. I've only played up till the 4th gen games for some unknown reason.

The whole gauntlet loses to Araquanid + Chandelure. 

For shelly and cain, you have to kill marowak burn mimikyu set up a trick room and kill shelly first

For luna, Araquanid counters at least a half of her team or even more

Finally for the last two, you have to set ip trick room and kill the... ice opponent first, if you don't know who is it yet