The Last, Only, and Very Final X% Hype Thread

Amethyst

1 hour ago, pokemonmaster3556 said:

I do actually want to ask about these. I do agree that lessons can be learned from the main series games, but I had a somewhat different interpretation of what lessons could be learned from each game, and I'm curious about how you reached a few of the ones you mentioned

Kanto - a "nameless" Trainer from little village in Kanto not only singlehandely have taken out an villainous, renowned organization, but also has defeated every major Trainer in the region and become new Grand Champion... in just the span of few days! Now that Trainer IS famous (we know him as "Red"), but then he was basically nobody. 

Yeah, Blue was, and still is, legend - he too was hardworking and all... but he had the talent in blood - his grandfather Samuel used to be one of the world's greatest, being Kanto/Indigo Champion in his prime. And now he still is, but not in battling, but in researching and such. 

Red has come a bigger way, and have achieved more, so he's a better example here. But taking care and making friends with Pokemon is equally, if not more, important. 

Johto - I... have actually struggled to find anything smart here. For me this region was quite bland in plot, or simply I couldn't find deeper sense within. But as I'm thinking, the lesson could be that "Nothing's eternal - there's always someone above the top"; which signifies that even the best might be bested by others. 

Hoenn - that's straightforward. Practically the plot of Team Magma/Aqua - they wanted to change the nature in order to shape the world to their likings, so the nature decided to show them - with Groudon/Kyogre going rampage, hadn't it been for Rayquaza and Brendan/May, Hoenn would be no more. Human is no match for nature. Not its Gods. 

Sinnoh - I was thinking mainly about Cyrus and his speeches about "imperfections", and by "imperfection" he meant "having the soul". Maybe there's better lesson... But I couldn't find it. But, Christ... This might sound controversial but I hate Sinnoh. The reason I do, is because of the fandom, and their si-........ I think you got the point. I won't write more, because I get headaches from just thinking about it. 

Unova - the most obvious one. Pretty clear, no contradictions, no objections. Everyone who played through Unova, agrees. 

Kalos - this one is a bit iffy, but it has to do with mainly Lysandre and his obsessions. Basically, he wanted to help people, but they were so greedy and ungrateful, he decided to "fuck it, imma commit genocide". Which... I somehow understand, but he was looking at the very limited side of human nature - the bad one. He wasn't taking into account the other sides of human nature: more neutral one, and the good one. His obstructed vision was the cause of his actions. Which is poetic, since all members of Team Flare were wearing some kind of glasses/mask/facewear (even Lysandre at one point). And also because fandom is equally greedy and ungrateful because they shit on everything, even on the slightest mistakes or imperfections. 

Alola - FUCKLOAD OF DIALOGUES AND CUTSCENES! Hard to find anything by looking at it, simply because there's so much of it. But that's what Alola is - a combination of past and future. The culture of the region, with legends about Guardians, Trials and other traditions on the one side, and many new modern things like Rotom Dex, Pokemon League (new to Alola), Aether Foundation's buildings and creations on the other. And, surprisingly, it does work well. Well... That and Lillie's strong character development. But the latter can be found in other regions, so it's not unique. 

Galar - ...honestly, can you blame me? The region's cool, character are awesome, setting's strong - they've could created an Unova-level story! But no~... Other than rivals' stories (Hop realizing he wasn't born battling genius like his brother, Marnie finding her calling, and Bede accepting the opportunities and embracing his pinker side), the story is shit. DLCs are better in that regard, but that doesn't justify the junk which is main plot (and main postgame quest - those "princes" who have more gel on their hairs than brain in their heads were so annoying I actually wanted to strangle them in the centre of the Wyndon Stadium). 

Also... No actual villainous group. Which may sound dumb, because there are universes where there is no villain - just "good" antagonist - but for Pokemon that won't cut it. That could slide if non-villain antagonists were good but... no. Team Yell was pointless and annoying; just some bunch of dumb PG ultras. And Macro Cosmos is Aether Foundation but Steel-type and no significance.

That "lesson" is made because Rose wasn't patient to just wait one, damn day for the "Second Darkest Day". If he did that, he would have the support of Leon and maybe MC as well, and his plan might've potentially succedded. I kinda get that Eternatus couldn't be controlled, so he had to rush things out, but then that rises another question... Why the hell was he feeding Eternatus so much Wishing Stars at such rate, instead of culminating and giving them to it on the last day? Plus the plan is... stupid. "Oh, energetic crisis will occur in approximately 1000 years from now on, so I have to start the apocalypse that may destroy Galar to protect Galar"... at least in the anime they've given Rose better motivation than that. 

This is convoluted... and as you said, others might have pulled different lessons, but I think me lessons make some sense

https://youtu.be/Gy-z1aGyRdY

https://youtu.be/WRoL75hzhWE

Man. I'm so hype. I watch these two videos again and again to internalize how to play when E19 drops. ^_^

If anyone saw my post where I said I would nuzlocke E19... well, I still will. Just not on my first run of it. I'll still play set mode no items, though! 

33 minutes ago, Yeshua_Kristos said:

If anyone saw my post where I said I would nuzlocke E19... well, I still will. Just not on my first run of it. I'll still play set mode no items, though! 

Coming from someone who has already HC Nuzlocked this game once, and will also do so in E19: I would recommend changing up your encounter rules. Due to the way Reborn is designed, almost all of your encounters can be guaranteed, which makes the nuzlocke "first mon per area" rule a lot less interesting. You can try just assigning all of the Pokémon a number and use a random number generator to decide which one you get, for example. Otherwise the ability to choose your encounters means no nuzlocker will ever use a Mimikyu because Honedge is just better.

• Hmm 1

24 minutes ago, TheRK9 said:

Coming from someone who has already HC Nuzlocked this game once, and will also do so in E19: I would recommend changing up your encounter rules. Due to the way Reborn is designed, almost all of your encounters can be guaranteed, which makes the nuzlocke "first mon per area" rule a lot less interesting. You can try just assigning all of the Pokémon a number and use a random number generator to decide which one you get, for example. Otherwise the ability to choose your encounters means no nuzlocker will ever use a Mimikyu because Honedge is just better.

I shall consider this. Though, I'm leaning more toward banning stat-boosting moves. 

On 3/23/2022 at 9:06 PM, HakuryuYukio said:

Doesn't change the fact that they are still part of a terrorist group. Nobody forced those grunts to join team Meteor. Once you join a group like that, your intentions don't mean a damn thing. You're actively taking part in a group that murders innocent people because they want to force their believes upon the world.

It's called "guilty by association" for a reason.

It's not quite as black and white as you'd think. A lot of the grunts were forced into joining, or were lied to into thinking they were doing good, and that the end justified the means. Some were threatened or blackmailed, or worked in a part of Team Meteor that never let them find out about the consequences of their acts of terror. 

This is something that the game makes very clear by developing characters that are a part of Team Meteor. 
- Taka was forced to join by Solaris even though he doesn't believe or partake in Meteor's methods because he's been told his entire life that it's his duty as a descendant of those who citadel.
- Echlipse joined because they had been tricked into thinking Team Meteor for the better despite the cost. This is why Echlipse leaves (and dies for it) once she realised that it wasn't worth it to cause so much death and destruction to create a New World.
- Aster and Simon were also likely fooled into joining, and stayed moreso because all the people they knew and loved were through Team Meteor, and they both gave up on it when Echlipse and Tara respectively died.
- Eve and Lumi were blackmailed into joining Team Meteor after the Magnezone incident and had to help start the PULSE project to salvage any chance of returning to their own selves again.
- Cal joined in an attempt to match Blake, since he was constantly insecure about the way his brother treated and outshone him, and left once he realised his priorities were wrong after he caused Kiki's death. 
- Corey was forced to join on the condition that he got to keep the Ruby Ring, seemingly the only thing he had in memory of his wife, who was killed by Sirius. 
- Even Solaris, who founded the organisation, is gradually believing less and less in it with the influence that Lin has had, especially after he founds out about Taka's death. I would not be surprised if he turns on the organisation in the Reshiram Route in E19. 

These are all fallible characters, some more than others, but they can also be sympathised with, or at the very least understood. It's not as simple as "meteor bad". While all of these characters can be criticised for joining or helping Meteor, they all had their reasons. People aren't perfect, and this is very apparent with both the protagonists and antagonists in this world. A lot of these people are still good people, but good people don't always do good things, but you can see how many characters left/turned on Team Meteor after truly realising what they've caused.

While this is a story in a video game, a lot of the concepts still translate. This is why it is just as important to judge people's intentions rather than actions.

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Yeshua_Kristos said:

I shall consider this. Though, I'm leaning more toward banning stat-boosting moves. 

I'm doing this too, and I'll be doing so in both my regular run and my nuzlocke. Additional rules obviously make the game more difficult, but I personally believe it's good to improve the variety and strategy of the game.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Yeshua_Kristos said:

Masochist. 

No offense, of course, but that sounds like suicide - if you wanna survive without them in Reborn Nuzlocke, your best option is hyper-offense + Stealth Rock to be around Sturdy/Focus Sash Pokemon. 

I... haven't done Reborn in Nuzlocke (I haven't done Nuzlocke at all), but I do know that it's gonna be a journey from which many will not return. 

I've played "mod" of Reborn only once, and don't intend to do it EVER AGAIN! 

To this day, every time I hear that piano, I have PTSD. Because... Not even pre-V13 Insane Mode Rejuvenation was that high. Never-dying Mega Tyranitar, hitting like a truck Excadrill (it was my fault for having Sandstorm team as well) and lv 97 (opposing to my lv 90 max) Mega Garchomp with Assasult Vest and 504/756/504/504/504/504 EV spread.

Yeah, you do see correctly, that is - I believe - its spread. 

I had to resort using Mega Glalie with Explosion to defeat that monster. Also setting up Reflect because I thought I wouldn't survive if it hit me

Thanks to Reflect, I wasn't OHKOd, and I did. But... holy crap - that was intense. 

3 hours ago, TheRK9 said:

It's not quite as black and white as you'd think.

The "black and white" concept was going around for some time on this forum... But who did start using it? Who should be blamed for the beginning of overusage of that phrase?

...maybe I shouldn't say it because it may turn out that it was actually me who had begun, and that would be quite ironic. 

3 hours ago, TheRK9 said:

Aster and Simon were also likely fooled into joining, and stayed moreso because all the people they knew and loved were through Team Meteor, and they both gave up on it when Echlipse and Tara respectively died.

Aster probably had been homeless, living on the streets or something like that, before he joined Meteors and swore his life for the cause. It may not have been said directly, but it was hinted when Aster was saying that he had nothing before becoming Meteor. 

Simon joined because he wanted to reunite with his fiancée/wife in the "New World". But overtime, he started to feel love for Tara, and reciprocated that feeling. He became conflicted - he was in love with both of them, and was reacting strongly when both of them died. And I still feel bad for laughing when I discovered that Tara was his sister, and I was like: "Bro, were you going to marry your sis?! XD". Just after some time, I did realize they had no idea they were related, and I was feeling so bad I turned off the game to cry. 

4 hours ago, TheRK9 said:

Echlipse

*Eclipse. Like in "Solar Eclipse" or "Lunar Eclipse" 

Cal joined in an attempt to match Blake, since he was constantly insecure about the way his brother treated and outshone him

Not to "match him", but to "be better than him". In the very first dialogue with him, Cal says how did he start training Fire-types and become Fire Leader just to beat his Ice Leader brother (both being currently either retired from the position, or stepping down to Reserve position). 

If he wanted to "match Blake", Cal would: train Ice types, start being a complete asshole, master the shooting games in style of CoD, or watch/read ***** 

I really do hope Shelly haven't seen those. I'll murder Blake if she did. 

I would not be surprised if he turns on the organisation in the Reshiram Route in E19. 

Either the "I have created you, so I have to destroy you" cliche... or seppuku. 

Yet-... 

Read my previous messages to get it, I won't bother searching. 

5 hours ago, Oscarus said:

Masochist. 

No offense, of course, but that sounds like suicide - if you wanna survive without them in Reborn Nuzlocke, your best option is hyper-offense + Stealth Rock to be around Sturdy/Focus Sash Pokemon. 

No offense taken.

Anyway, I only said I would ban stat-boosting moves. I did not say I would ban stat-boosting items (terrain seeds, Choice items, etc.) or abilities (Speed Boost, Moxie, etc.).

5 hours ago, Oscarus said:

I... haven't done Reborn in Nuzlocke (I haven't done Nuzlocke at all), but I do know that it's gonna be a journey from which many will not return. 

Do at least one nuzlocke--not of Reborn, certainly, but of the canon game(s) you know and love best--in your lifetime. 

You do have a point about Nuzlockes being a journey that many don't return from, though.

In my case, I DID manage to return from my first nuzlocke! But I am certainly not the person I used to be. 

5 hours ago, Yeshua_Kristos said:

Anyway, I only said I would ban stat-boosting moves. I did not say I would ban stat-boosting items (terrain seeds, Choice items, etc.) or abilities (Speed Boost, Moxie, etc.).

That's a bit better. 

5 hours ago, Yeshua_Kristos said:

Do at least one nuzlocke--not of Reborn, certainly, but of the canon game(s) you know and love best--in your lifetime. 

I will... But I do not have enough psyche. 

Getting attached emotionally to Pokemon, who then fly away to the heavens, just because of my one mistake. I've watched many, many different types of Nuzlockes in my life, and I'm afraid that me laughing at every... rather unexpected... death would backfire and cause me lose the entire thing as soon as I get into midgame. 

Still... I can try. Someday

15 hours ago, TheRK9 said:

It's not quite as black and white as you'd think. A lot of the grunts were forced into joining, or were lied to into thinking they were doing good, and that the end justified the means. Some were threatened or blackmailed, or worked in a part of Team Meteor that never let them find out about the consequences of their acts of terror. 

This is something that the game makes very clear by developing characters that are a part of Team Meteor. 
- Taka was forced to join by Solaris even though he doesn't believe or partake in Meteor's methods because he's been told his entire life that it's his duty as a descendant of those who citadel.
- Echlipse joined because they had been tricked into thinking Team Meteor for the better despite the cost. This is why Echlipse leaves (and dies for it) once she realised that it wasn't worth it to cause so much death and destruction to create a New World.
- Aster and Simon were also likely fooled into joining, and stayed moreso because all the people they knew and loved were through Team Meteor, and they both gave up on it when Echlipse and Tara respectively died.
- Eve and Lumi were blackmailed into joining Team Meteor after the Magnezone incident and had to help start the PULSE project to salvage any chance of returning to their own selves again.
- Cal joined in an attempt to match Blake, since he was constantly insecure about the way his brother treated and outshone him, and left once he realised his priorities were wrong after he caused Kiki's death. 
- Corey was forced to join on the condition that he got to keep the Ruby Ring, seemingly the only thing he had in memory of his wife, who was killed by Sirius. 
- Even Solaris, who founded the organisation, is gradually believing less and less in it with the influence that Lin has had, especially after he founds out about Taka's death. I would not be surprised if he turns on the organisation in the Reshiram Route in E19. 

These are all fallible characters, some more than others, but they can also be sympathised with, or at the very least understood. It's not as simple as "meteor bad". While all of these characters can be criticised for joining or helping Meteor, they all had their reasons. People aren't perfect, and this is very apparent with both the protagonists and antagonists in this world. A lot of these people are still good people, but good people don't always do good things, but you can see how many characters left/turned on Team Meteor after truly realising what they've caused.

While this is a story in a video game, a lot of the concepts still translate. This is why it is just as important to judge people's intentions rather than actions.

This is actually a great point I think a lot of people miss. The one person who we see the most in sabotaging Meteor is in fact Taka, the son of the leader of the whole organization. For someone who was born into something where he was borderline forced to join, he really breaks the cycle of hate in a way by becoming his own character, which is pretty neat. I think the reason Meteor has been shown to be so evil is because of people like Sirius and Lin poisoning the original group's intentions. As it's gathered in the Reshiram route, Meteor was originally a group of protectors.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Oscarus said:

Getting attached emotionally to Pokemon, who then fly away to the heavens, just because of my one mistake.

I've been there, bud. 

But there's actually a way to deal with this: (besides getting gud and not losing any mons in the first place, noob!) 

Just don't view the loss of a mon as a death in the first place! 

Oh, my Gengar isn't dead. She's just on permanent vacation. 

Oh, my Purrloin is still alive! But she's just grounded because she failed to KO a Patrat. A PATRAT.

Oh, my Dodrio's just fine, actually! But he ran away in embarassment because he failed to OHKO a Machamp--and at the Elite 4, no less! 

16 hours ago, Oscarus said:

The "black and white" concept was going around for some time on this forum... But who did start using it? Who should be blamed for the beginning of overusage of that phrase?

This is a very common and universal phrase, it isn't specific to Reborn. 

16 hours ago, Oscarus said:

*Eclipse. Like in "Solar Eclipse" or "Lunar Eclipse" 

True. But English if fucking stupid and there is no reason why "ech" and "ec" make the same sound, but they do.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hamster Haze said:

This is actually a great point I think a lot of people miss. The one person who we see the most in sabotaging Meteor is in fact Taka, the son of the leader of the whole organization. For someone who was born into something where he was borderline forced to join, he really breaks the cycle of hate in a way by becoming his own character, which is pretty neat. I think the reason Meteor has been shown to be so evil is because of people like Sirius and Lin poisoning the original group's intentions. As it's gathered in the Reshiram route, Meteor was originally a group of protectors.

Not to mention how half the organisation, including Sirius, is scared shitless because of Lin. This is very apparent by the way Taka acts in Reshiram.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, TheRK9 said:

This is a very common and universal phrase, it isn't specific to Reborn. 

I meant "right here", "on this train", and not overall. 

Still... I have a bad feeling it was me who threw that boomerang which will hit me in my head when I'm not looking. 

1 hour ago, Yeshua_Kristos said:

Just don't view the loss of a mon as a death in the first place! 

Oh, my Gengar isn't dead. She's just on permanent vacation. 

Oh, my Purrloin is still alive! But she's just grounded because she failed to KO a Patrat. A PATRAT.

Oh, my Dodrio's just fine, actually! But he ran away in embarassment because he failed to OHKO a Machamp--and at the Elite 4, none the less. 

You sound like one of my fanmade lore characters, who was bowing to, shaking hands, and even hugging dead bodies of his fallen allies, and kept saying things like:

"Don't be sad because they're gone.

Be happy because they are in better place now.

Don't mourn their death.

Better celebrate their ascending"

Or

"They wouldn't appreciate you crying over them. 

All they want from you, is to carry their hopes, dreams and legacy, and continue the quest.

They want from us to finish what we've begun, as this is what they're wished for when they still were among us"

Despite that character being a warmonger, drunkard and religious (almost to the point of being "cult") leader, he is perhaps the most positive and optimistic character I've ever made. Which is... weird because I've made dozens of them on various fandoms. 

Isn't that weird? 

Also, that raises a question... Is there any character in Reborn that is always positive, and never had a moment of doubt? A time when they were reflecting on their life, past, and relationship? 

Because I can't really recall any. 

3 hours ago, Oscarus said:

You sound like one of my fanmade lore characters, who was bowing to, shaking hands, and even hugging dead bodies of his fallen allies

The only thing I can say in response to that is: 😐

3 hours ago, Oscarus said:

Also, that raises a question... Is there any character in Reborn that is always positive, and never had a moment of doubt? A time when they were reflecting on their life, past, and relationship? 

Because I can't really recall any. 

*insert Julia here*

Even then, you do find her in the void, talking about how she tries very hard to forget that the best years of her life are behind her, and stuff. Then again, who knows just how much of what we see in the void is true? 

20 hours ago, Oscarus said:

I discovered that Tara was his sister

Wait, what. I was under the impression that she just used his surname cause she also loved him. Also due to the need of feeling of belonging; she was kinda outcast too. Is there any confirmation that Tara is Simon's sister?

59 minutes ago, Yeshua_Kristos said:

The only thing I can say in response to that is: 😐

You're not the first one... nor the last one to react in that way. I know my ideas are controversial, weird, unsettling and all... But at least they are unique, and not creepy/disgusting/other than that. 

1 hour ago, Yeshua_Kristos said:

*insert Julia here*

Didn't she feel bad because she had become Cheerleader team's Captain simply because Amaria had refused the "offer"? Because I think that was said in their journal entries. Also in the Void. 

Are what we've seen in the Void true? Most of the events probably are, as their existence connects the facts. But what of them exactly are? And how much...? And if those are tampered, who is responsible? 

I really do want to know. 

59 minutes ago, Egzample said:

Is there any confirmation that Tara is Simon's sister?

In Simon's Side Quest - when we give him Tara's tag. At least... I think it was said. Or somewhere after that. 

Even if it wasn't, it is one of the two logical choices - the other is that they were close cousins. Because Tara picking Simon's last name to feel less alienated, is very cute, but also not likely as I think Solaris would demand from his men their real names - at least to have them in the data. 

Yet no one has said that is impossible - it is quite common trope in the fiction (and "regular" event irl) that siblings were separated from each other when they were babies, and as years went on, they've forgotten that they had one. 

21 minutes ago, thisgameishard said:

Nuzlocking reborn is not as challenging as it seems, as long as you don't do it on it your first playthrough anyone can do it

Tell that to TyranitarTube.

He got destroyed by Solaris as soon as he got to him. 

1 hour ago, TA31 said:

Oh thought he meant grass encounters could be fixed

This could be pretty easily fixed by simply changing the encounter tables in PBS and compiling files. Could be an interesting idea for a password.