FE on the Forums: Scarlet Crown [IC]

rokubiraijuu

Ceridwen's eyes got just a little bit watery when Futch pulled out the scale necklace - it would appear that he was making quite an impression on the newbie Dragon Knight, and she was moved heavily.

MPdroNU.png

"Oh, I couldn't even begin to imagine what it must have been like...! That's so sad... You can believe I'd protect Ynddi with my life!"

She paused.

MPdroNU.png

"My teammates, too, I'll be there to take the hits for them, it's what I'm there for, but I'll never forget to do it for Ynddi!"

"...growr? Kkhfff. Growr." This time Yn Ddiddorol added some incredulous noises to his skeptical look, and pulled his head out of Ceridwen's arms only to deposit it on top of her head. As far as he was concerned, it would be him that would be protecting his rider.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chris_4_t.png

"Huh...?" Kris cocked her head to the side in a bit of confusion "They come from the weapons. Where else would they come from silly? According to my grandfather, everything has a voice but only special people can hear the voice of certain things. My grandfather, for example, can hear the voice of plants but can't hear the voice of weapons." 

Naomi.png

"So that people don't get scared at you being a dragon. You don't have to hide! I know what it's like for people around you to be scared, it's normal to hide under armor after something like that. Whenever you are okay with it, you can tell me all your fun dragon stories." 

BigFutchFacep1.png

"Don't forget to take care of yourself too, you know," Futch says what he hopes is reassuringly -- he hadn't meant to upset her that much. "Your dragon'll be on his own too if he loses you. No sense in that."

And it was fairly well-documented that most dragons that lost their riders tended to go mad with grief after a period of time, even if they were released into the caverns or, in the case of those too heavily injured to survive on their own, taken in and cared for as veterans. There were all too many accounts of those who had suffered too long and too much having to be mercifully put to death to prevent further injury to themselves and others.

BigFutchFacep1.png

"Oh. Now that I'm mentioning it... I think this should help you."

Reaching into his pocket, Futch draws out a small ring on the end of a thin chain, and hands it to Ceridwen. "You can keep it, or maybe figure out who else in the Guard could put it to good use. It's supposed to offer just a bit of extra protection, maybe enough to take the edge off magic."

[ Ceridwen receives ELEMENT RING. ]

----------

Johanna doesn't answer that for a long time, chewing slowly, though the bread has lost its taste in her mouth. Though Argos had clarified that he wasn't trying to undermine her authority, she can't help but wonder if they don't feel that she's up to the task. She'd done her best to put on her most professional performance during the battle, as her father and others had taught her, but what if they could see right through it?

I can't let any of them see that. They'll never believe in me if they know.

johanna_talk_smile.png

"I was picked to serve as Acting Commander," she replies, pleased that she sounds more assured than she feels. "It's an honor, especially since I'm still learning to lead. But if I do well, and if you all approve of me after the next few months, then I will be instated to the position permanently." She decides to leave out that her father had chosen her for the role explicitly to test her; she doesn't want to give Argos the idea that he'd made the decision out of bias.

Argos noticed her silence, she must not be too confident about it. To be honest he could relate to that on some level. He's had multiple instances when he questioned his own merit or skill. Plus, when you're constantly being denied and dismissed it's hard to push through it.

rDMiQix.png

"Well, if you want my opinion you're doing a pretty good job all things considered. I mean I doubt I could do any sort of commanding."

KfOgHsi.png

"And if I did try, everyone would probably just ignore me."

rDMiQix.png

"Still, you have my vote of approval. Though you shouldn't let being commander get to you that much, loosen up a bit, ya know?" Maybe it wasn't his place to say the last couple of lines. Oh no what if he just made her mad or worse. He immediately became flustered.  "N-not that I saying that it is getting getting to you and I-I'm not saying you can't handle it. It's just it seemed like something was off going off alone like that. Not saying you wanting to be alone is a bad thing either. I just thought you might need some help getting whatever is stressing you out, but I'm not saying anything is-" The boy stops himself before he can go any further. He lets out a long angry sigh before slamming his palms into his face. Slowly removing them, his eyes looking down at his plate which still had a decent amount of food on it, he spoke up once more.

mpufIcF.png

"I can go now if you want me to."

krimdude.png

"I see."  Fallon said intently. "And how many special people are out there? How can you tell who is special and who isn't?".  He was growing increasingly certain that Kris had some kind of mental instability passed down to her through her family, but it didn't seem harmful as of yet, so he kept going. If there really were others, getting all the information he could on the matter would help in his research. 

eyes_closed_Kris_t.png

"Hmm.." 

Huh..._t.png

"Who knows. There could be just me and my grandfather or there could be one for each thing out there,"  Kris said sounding a bit on sure about the answer or what the answer could entail. "Other than watching someone to see if they act like they hear something that you don't or asking them if they can hear something, I don't think there is a reliable way to tell if someone can hear something or not. My grandfather figured I was able to hear the weapons voices by how I acted when I was younger. I wasn't too fond of dolls and other toys that most girls where." Kris said happily.  "Hmm...why are you so curious? Most people run away once I start talking about this....." Kris stared at Fallon with an inquisitive look "OOOH....can you hear something that others can't?" Kris finished excitably while leaning in very close to Fallon.

Ceridwen nodded at Futch's words, but her expression didn't clearly indicate if she'd taken it to heart or not.

She smiled gratefully when Futch gave her the ring, though.

pauMXSv.png

"Oh! Thank you! Hmm, I've never had a lot of opportunity to face mages... but you did warn me about them. I'll ask around the rest of the Allied Guard, though, to see who needs it the most. Um, unless you have something else to tell me, I think I might go talk to one of our mages or Johanna about it. And thank you again!"

Naomi.png

Naomi shrugged. "I already figured you out. You can keep trying to hide it, or you can come out and just say it. I won't tell anyone else promise. They'd probably enslave you or something, that wouldn't be fair. I'll protect you from those dirty humans!"

krimdude.png

Fallon backed up a little bit as Kris leaned in. He still didn't think she was dangerous, but her getting so close was starting to make him uncomfortable. "Me? No. I don't think I'm anyone special." he said as he moved, though his eye did narrow slightly at the comment. He could hear the ancient spirits when he focused, but they would never answer him other than to grant his requests to use their power. This seemed like an entirely different beast so far. "I am interested in such things, however. Perhaps you could call me a scholar of sorts. Coming to understand the obscure and the unknown helps with my...research." he said before trailing off. "I suppose that is why I am here at all." Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Huh..._t.png

"Hmm..." Kris studied Fallon's face for a little bit from where she had leaned to "I bet you're more special than you think." She smiled and moved back to her original place "If you like that stuff you should visit my families estate if we ever end up near Gregminster at some point. My Grandfather is really old and has collected a lot of old and weird stuff and would be happy to let you look at it or tell you about it....if he is still alive by then anyway."

grrr_t.png

Kris' smile dropped when she mentioned that.

krimdude.png

"I think he will be. Old people have a stubbornness to them, and many refuse to go until they succeed in whatever it is they're working towards." Fallon said wistfully, remembering his time in Foen. Although now that he thought about it, that could apply to him as well. "Just do what you think would make him proud and I'm sure you will see him again." he took a glance at Johanna and the boy as he said this, but quickly returned his attention to Kris. "In any case, I would like to meet him someday. It's not often you come across someone with a collection like that." Or someone who can hear voices. he thought.

For a few seconds, Johanna just stares at him...

And then she huffs softly, the small smile returning to her face. 

johanna_happy_talk.png

"Thank you. I know you mean well."

Part of her wishes she could say more, but this isn't like back home among the other Knights, or the couple of them she could call friends. It's true, she's hasn't even been a commander for a year, but she's learned enough about it to know what a good one does. If her men are already starting to think the position is getting to her after just one mock battle, then she has a lot she still needs to work on. That figures.

"Nothing's off, though. I've always been a bit reserved, so I was just looking for a spot to relax. I didn't think how someone else might see that... but you sound like you really like to talk to others and get to know them. That's a good thing too. If you become a commander one day, maybe that'll be your own style."

• 2 weeks later...

CHAPTER 1 : That Which Binds Us
Solis Y3302, Midsummer

Spoiler

bXvcLtR.png

Since disembarking from the boat onto the Lorimar side of the Liukan river, the shade of thick trees have granted some reprieve from the sweltering midsummer sun. The party have been traveling mostly by early morning and by cover of darkness to avoid losing too much energy to the heat, but also to avoid being sighted by the group they're pursuing. Boots crunch through the foliage underfoot, and conversation is sparse as they proceed deeper into the dense woods of one of Caliss' most seldom-ventured areas. As a small, elite unit, they'd been the ideal candidates for this kind of job. It wouldn't draw too much attention from the public like dispatching the Calissian army would, causing alarm and possibly planting ideas in others' heads. 

johanna_talk_smile.png

"According to the map, we're drawing close to the borders of the Warriors Village," Johanna announces as quietly as possible to the others. "Keep your eyes peeled." Not that anyone knew much about the Warriors Village. There was little of it documented, even though from time to time, skilled swordsmen have been known to show up hailing from there, taking part on their 'Journey to Manhood' that the place was known for. But apart from being respected for its strong fighters, the place is rather obscure. They've never been known to cause trouble, and few go out of their way to visit it. It is an enclave all its own, with a lifestyle all its own. Being sent to a place like this...

-----

A couple weeks earlier...

After a few last days of relaxation in Antei following the mock battle, the Allied Guard were called to assemble in the foyer of the mayor's home, where they were given their first true assignment. Johanna hadn't really known what to expect, but she hadn't thought it would be something like this right off the bat.

johanna_talk_smile.png

"There's been a breakout from Soniere Prison to the southwest. Many of the criminals who escaped were Imperials from the Liberation War, so it's likely that this was planned. We're to pursue and apprehend them before they disturb the populace. I'm sure you can all imagine what may happen if these people find a way to seize power again. These aren't just your regular vagabonds and petty thieves; many of them are soldiers who fought on Barbarossa's side during the war, and they're being led by former General Kiba Windamier, who was highly decorated in the time of the Empire. But as the Allied Guard, we'll help defend the new Republic that both the Knights and Caliss built together."

... Reports indicate the criminals have already crossed the Liukan River into the Lorimar Region, which is heavily forested. No doubt they're trying to hide there until they can formulate a plan. We'll stop them before that happens."

-----

Before long, Johanna draws them to a stop. Distant sounds ahead and signs of freshly trampled vegetation suggest that they've caught up. So far, it looks like they haven't been spotted yet among the trees. "Just across the stream, probably," she murmurs to those closest by, nodding to the babbling brook that cuts through the forest floor a little ways ahead. Shadows shroud the underbrush under the cover of nightfall, and the whole forest seems more alive, or maybe that's just the adrenaline. "There's a bridge over there... and it looks like there's another one through those trees. Everyone, let's try to find the leader and apprehend them. Something tells me that if their leader falls, we'll have a better chance of putting a stop to this.

johanna_talk_smile.png

And remember to stay on guard. There's a village nearby, and we don't know if any of them may have gotten mixed up in this."

VICTORY: Defeat Boss

DEFEAT: All Player Units are Defeated

7vNGDq7.png

Turn 1

Cheat Sheet:

Spoiler

Enemies: Health, Weapons
Fighter 1 (25/25) Iron Axe (45/45) Droppable
Fighter 2 : (25/25) Iron Axe (45/45)
Fighter 3 : (25/25) Iron Axe (45/45)
Archer 1 : (22/22) Iron Bow (45/45)
Archer 2 : (22/22) Iron Bow (45/45)
Archer 3 : (22/22) Iron Bow (45/45)
Archer 4 : (22/22) Iron Bow (45/45)
Mercenary 1 : (23/23) Iron Sword (45/45)
Mercenary 2 : (23/23) Iron Sword (45/45)
Mercenary 3 : (23/23) Iron Sword (45/45)

Mage 1: (23/23) Fire (40/40)

Mage 2: (23/23) Fire (40/40)

Mage 3: (23/23) Fire (40/40)

Mage 4: (23/23) Gale (40/40) Vulnerary (3/3) Droppable

Mage 5: (23/23) Gale (40/40)

Soldier 1 : (24/24) Iron Lance (45/45), Vulnerary (3/3) Droppable
Soldier 2 : (24/24) Iron Lance (45/45)
Soldier 3 : (24/24) Iron Lance (45/45)
Soldier 4 : (24/24) Iron Lance (45/45)
Knight 1 : (24/24) Iron Javelin (45/45)
Knight 2 : (24/24) Iron Javelin (45/45)
Knight 3 : (24/24) Iron Javelin (45/45)
Knight 4 : (24/24) Iron Javelin (45/45)

Cleric 1 : (18/18) Heal (30/30)

Cleric 2 : (18/18) Heal (30/30)
Kiba Windamier : (30/30) Rhongomiante (30/30), Flux (40/40) Droppable

Players: Location, Health, Weapons
Argos (U12) : (24/24) Wooden Sword (38/50)E, Vulnerary (3/3)
Kerr (V12) : (22/22) Slim Lance (28/35)E, Iron Lance (44/45), Vulnerary (1/3)
Kris (X13) : (20/20) Iron Knife (37/45)E, Vulnerary (3/3), Vulnerary (3/3)
Seymore (Y13) : (26/26) Hatchet (25/35)E, Vulnerary (3/3)
Naomi (T12) : (21/21) Lightning (30/40)E, Vulnerary (3/3)
Michi (X12) : (22/22) Fire (31/40)E, Vulnerary (3/3)
Ceridwen (U13) : (23/23) Slim Lance (27/35)E, Vulnerary (2/3)
Fallon (T13) : (21/21) Worm (30/40)E, Vulnerary (2/3)
Dulcibella (Y12) : (20/20) Training Bow (36/40)E, Vulnerary (1/3)
Rhian (W12) : (25/25) Wooden Greatbow (32/40)E, Vulnerary (3/3)
Verden (V13) : (18/18) Heal (20/30)E, Vulnerary (3/3)

Johanna (W13) : (23/23) Iron Axe (24/45)E, Hatchet (35/35), Vulnerary (2/3)

NPCs: Location, Health, Weapons
Warriors Village 1 : (21/21) Iron Sword (45/45)

Warriors Village 2 : (21/21) Iron Sword (45/45)

Warriors Village 3 : (21/21) Iron Sword (45/45)

Warriors Village 4 : (21/21) Iron Sword (45/45)

Flynn : (21/21) Iron Sword (45/45)

Flesselles : (21/21) Iron Sword (45/45)

EXP Tracker: 0/100

DQSIRFd.png

"So this Warrior's Village houses great swordsmen? Heh, maybe I can convince everyone to stay there for a bit. I want to test my sword arm against everyone in there, and raise the infamy of my name!" Argos thought gleefully to himself and he couldn't help but grow a huge smile on his face. Though he has a job to do here first, he crept towards the western bridge trying to make as little noise as possible.

Move to R12

Ceridwen couldn't help but be somewhat distracted as she moved through the forest -- on foot by Ynddi's side, for the most part, seeing as they were trying to be stealthy, after all. This place was beautiful, even at night, the thick cover of trees all over the place and the soft sound of animals, of owls, crickets, spoke to this forest as a thick collection of life. Ceridwen had never really been to somewhere forested quite like this place before; sure the Mountains had some forests on certain mountains or in valleys, but this place was much more flat (which lowered visibility in an interesting way Ceridwen wasn't used to) and seemed to stretch on forever, trees and plants and animals and Ceridwen really found it all quite fascinating.

Even if she was here to stop some escaped convicts, which she reminded herself she really had to think about rather than the natural beauty of her locale... especially since it looked a lot like they were where they needed to be now. Ceridwen put the shields onto her armor, (adjusting the ring Futch had given her under her armor so that it wouldn't get crushed against her) mounted Yn Ddiddorol, swooped forward, with a quick mutter to herself.

MPdroNU.png

"Alright..."

Move to Q14! Also use the Element Ring.

e5TiIke.png

"Right. Shouldn't we be waiting for miss Acting Commander to give orders?" Rhian didn't seem to actually plan on going along with her statement, though, as she moved toward the village and readied her bow. She shot a glare at the rival archer across the river. "Lucky I haven't got a longbow on me, or you'd not be standing for much longer."

T11

johanna_1.png

"...!!"

Searching the area for a strategic place to move to, Johanna pretends like she hadn't heard Rhian's comment. It'd seemed rhetorical, anyway, but she couldn't help but wonder if the knight thought she wasn't doing her job well enough.

johanna_talk_smile.png

Beneath her, Idriss rumbles deep in his chest and leans his head forward, tugging on the reins. She can feel his powerful muscles shifting under his scales. "Right. First thing's first." There was plenty of time to worry later.

Move to R13.