Reborn characters Hurt/Heal (post E17)

Jess

58 minutes ago, ArcherEric said:

and victim of a clingy sociopath! :-D

Lol! This is only one part of the truth though...

OK, lengthy Titania analysis incoming... Grab popcorn guys...

First of all, we meet Titania in North Aventurine Woods, talking with a Team Meteor grunt. She makes an aggressive comment towards us when she knows that she's been discovered, threatens us, and then flees. Thing is, I don't blame her for being upset, but threatening me only makes her look suspicious.

We meet her again at Fiore Mansion, when she stops Amaria from going to Calcenon to help against Team Meteor, showing indifference towards Team Meteor. Even if she was "feeding them false intel", like she tells Taka in WTC, why would she stop Amaria from helping? This wouldn't blow her cover, if Titania herself stayed out of this, so she could still feed false intel to Team Meteor. So, something stinks here.

I won't even bother analysing again how unstable Titania is herself, since she kills Cultists that are like 30 levels below her Aegislash. She could've arrested them, confiscated their 'mons and have them waiting in a corner to get apprehended by the authorities. That way, we could question them too to find out stuff. This looks like she didn't want that, strengthening my suspicions that she might be working for Team Meteor. Besides, she knew that Taka was helping us from the very first room, which we couldn't have cleared without him draining water, but refused to help him (even when he returned Amaria treated and unharmed, even after him helping us destroy the Meteor infrastructures in the WTC), because truth is always better to preserving a lie/living in a lie.

This might sound true and honest, but there is another way to view it. The fact is that Taka actually is a double agent of us in the heart of Tea Meteor. From freeing us by Nuzleaf cage, giving us intel about the other PULSE Tangrowths and PULSE Camerupt, to helping us destroy PULSE Swalot in WTC and saving Amaria. He delivers vital blows in Team Meteor's plans throughout the story, just because Solaris/Lin don't know that he is double-crossing them! If he joined us, we'd have another ally. But we'd lose the knowledge of Team Meteor's plans. So, strategically, it is better for us to keep having Taka in Team Meteor, than openly siding with us. When we finally defeat Team Meteor, greatly thanks to Taka, he could openly reveal his allegiance and be considered a hero too. Much better than being another weak pawn on our side, right?

With the previous paragraph, I proved that telling the truth on a wrong timing can be worse than preserving a white lie till the correct moment for the truth comes. This also applies to the Titania-Amaria lovestory. Titania traps herself in two choices. Telling the truth now that Amaria is emotionally unstable and go to Calcenon to battle Team Meteor alone (or sabotage our squad, we still have doubt about whether she's with us or not) or not tell the truth and stay with Amaria at Fiore Mansion to protect her. But, life isn't just black and white. How about preserving the lie and taking Amaria with her to Calcenon to battle against Team Meteor together? Titania doesn't even consider the possibility. She presents herself as the huge victim in the lovestory with Amaria, but Amaria is equally trapped. Amaria could've grown stronger if she received the mental care she needed, instead of a lie. She has so many people caring for her, that she'd be perfectly fine with the proper kind of help. But Titania thinks that she is the victim, while she's only trapping Amaria longer into a facade of happiness. Titania kinda needs to understand that the world isn't rotating around herself. And that she isn't the strongest trainer in Reborn. She's simpleminded and bruteforcing everything, but it doesn't always work. She needs to accept this.

Also, she seems to know that Lin is the reason that Team Meteor has been terrorizing Reborn Region when she "kills" her in Zekrom Route. How exactly does she know that? The only times we saw Lin is in Tanzan Mountain, when only us, Laura, Saphira, Shelly, Charlotte, Anna and Noel faced her. The next time we saw Lin was in Devon, when only us, Ame, Arc, Victoria and Adrienn faced her. Where did she got the intel about Lin from, since she seems to know her at the Dragon's Den? Taka didn't mention her name in WTC when Titania and I confronted him. Maybe Titania is much deeper inside Team Meteor than she tries to convince us. Besides, we don't really know if she fed them false intel. This could've been only an attempt to cover herself up. But the evidence isn't in favour of her for the time being. That's because:

1) We saw her talking with a Meteor Grunt. (excuse: "I am feeding them false intel")

2) She didn't wanna leave Amaria go to Calcenon and assist the resistance (excuse: "Amaria is weak, she needs to be protected")

3) She didn't wanna help Taka keep his precious to us trusted position as Meteor admin (excuse: "truth is better than lies")

4) She killed Cultists we could've apprehended and interrogated for intel (excuse: "i was enraged and took it all out on weaklings that posed zero threat")

5) She knows Lin by her appearance when she hasn't met her a single time before, and the people who have seen/heard about Lin haven't spoken a single time to Titania (excuse: None)

Tell me how I can trust that person.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could argue that Titania does care for Amaria (she did pretend to be her girlfriend so she wouldn't kill herself which ended up not as she had planned). She goes to extreme lengths, but it's not hard to see that she does care for Amy

Cain: 24
Victoria: 14
Adrienn: 16
Amaria: 19
Aya: 20
Charlotte: 21
Ciel: 20
Corey: 19
Florinia: 23
Hardy: 20
Julia: 18
Kiki: 20
Luna: 24
Noel: 20
Radomus: 12
Samson: 21
Saphira: 20
Serra: 14
Shade: 24
Shelly: 25
Terra: 19
Titania: 9
Anna: 21
DJ Arclight: 18
Blake: 19
Cal: 23
El: 21
Heather: 18
Laura: 20
Dr.Sigmund: 15
Taka: 28
ZEL: 21
Sirius: 16
Solaris: 20
Lin: 13

@Jess ........wow. That's a pretty well though out argument you made.

I refuse to believe that Titania is working with Team Meteor in any way. Titania clearly cares for Amaria and given all of her and Amy's interactions with Team Meteor, there is know way Titania has any allegiance with Team Meteor (aside from some terrible writing).

However, you are right. Titania does know more than she is leading on, and by no means is she to be trusted. I just like her and Amy cuz the two are the literal definition of deceit and insanity and I just find their whole story intriguing. And maybe I just love sob stories.

P.S. I chose the Reshiram route just cuz want to see the world burn simply because it was best for Taka. Sure, would Taka still being in Team Meteor give the player character and friends (I use the term friends loosely) an advantage? Sure. But clearly Taka is unhappy with it. He's scared, if anything. And I don't blame him. Who knows what could happen? But I refuse to feed Taka's bad habit. And even in the Dragon's Den, with a sword through his chest, he seemed happy. Happier than he ever was with Team Meteor. Rest in peace my timid insurgent friend.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, it could be possible that Titania struck a deal with Team Meteor that would ensure Amaria's safety.

Edited by Dragoknight

10 minutes ago, Dragoknight said:

P.S. I chose the Reshiram route just cuz want to see the world burn simply because it was best for Taka. Sure, would Taka still being in Team Meteor give the player character and friends (I use the term friends loosely) an advantage? Sure. But clearly Taka is unhappy with it. He's scared, if anything. And I don't blame him. Who knows what could happen? But I refuse to feed Taka's bad habit. And even in the Dragon's Den, with a sword through his chest, he seemed happy. Happier than he ever was with Team Meteor. Rest in peace my timid insurgent friend.

By no means I want to say that one route is superior to the other, but, there is a saying... Live today, fight tomorrow. He would be unhappy, yes, but eventually we'd defeat Team Meteor with him helping us, and he'd be happy and recognised as a friend by so many people... And he'd be alive.

The way in which Taka dies in Reshiram route, used by Lin as a decoy, just like he is a soulless, emotionless pile of flesh and bones, without any purpose saddens me. I'll choose Zekrom Route every time, in hope that Taka gets a nice life, or a meaningful death.

As I said, my point of view is, truth is better than lies, but only if spoken at the correct timing.

I'll give a last example on this. Imagine a family having a car accident (God forbid). Everyne dies, apart from the mother, who survives after a long surgery with post traumatic shock and fragile health, having no idea about the passing of her beloved family members. Would telling her the truth as she is such a fragile condition be any good? All doctors would reassure her that everyone is OK till she escapes the danger, and only then would they reveal the tragic truth.

Truth mustn't be told, unless the conditions are correct. But Titania has zero logical thinking to pick that timing.

DJ Arclight: 16
Taka: 29

3 minutes ago, Jess said:

By no means I want to say that one route is superior to the other, but, there is a saying... Live today, fight tomorrow. He would be unhappy, yes, but eventually we'd defeat Team Meteor with him helping us, and he'd be happy and recognised as a friend by so many people... And he'd be alive.

The way in which Taka dies in Reshiram route, used by Lin as a decoy, just like he is a soulless, emotionless pile of flesh and bones, without any purpose saddens me. I'll choose Zekrom Route every time, in hope that Taka gets a nice life, or a meaningful death.

As I said, my point of view is, truth is better than lies, but only if spoken at the correct timing.

I'll give a last example on this. Imagine a family having a car accident (God forbid). Everyne dies, apart from the mother, who survives after a long surgery with post traumatic shock and fragile health, having no idea about the passing of her beloved family members. Would telling her the truth as she is such a fragile condition be any good? All doctors would reassure her that everyone is OK till she escapes the danger, and only then would they reveal the tragic truth.

Truth mustn't be told, unless the conditions are correct. But Titania has zero logical thinking to pick that timing.

Fair enough. I see the point in that.

So does playing a video game equate to playing god now?

5 minutes ago, Dragoknight said:

Fair enough. I see the point in that.

So does playing a video game equate to playing god now?

Pretty much :P 

If I don't have the absolute power to define future with my choices in a video game, then when am I gonna have it?!

I'll take that as a joke, and say that in the Taka case, playing the game equates inherently to playing God, because we know beforehand what will happen in 2 alternative worlds we create with one choice. Only God would have such power.

4 minutes ago, Jess said:

Pretty much :P 

If I don't have the absolute power to define future with my choices in a video game, then when am I gonna have it?!

I'll take that as a joke, and say that in the Taka case, playing the game equates inherently to playing God, because we know what will happen in 2 alternative worlds we create with one choice. Only God would have such power.

Very well.

I will be an all powerful and merciless god! My subjects shall pay sacrilege or they will perish before my wrath!

But back to reality, I really doubt Ame's gonna do much with Taka given the whole reception the split paths have.

What I'm really curious about though, is how you think Sigmund might play a role late game. Given his power, he holds a high position within Team Meteor. However, it is clear that he doesn't really care for what Team Meteor wants, and I'm curious as what he even wants to accomplish with them in the first place. Another thing is that he seems adamant towards the fact that he knows Lin in some way. Maybe he will be the one to sabotage some of Team Meteor's plans in order to find out what Lin's whole deal is. Since we now know that Lin isn't exactly human, perhaps Sigmund might be instrumental in how we will take Lin down.

Julia: 19

Lin: 11

45 minutes ago, Dragoknight said:

But back to reality, I really doubt Ame's gonna do much with Taka given the whole reception the split paths have.

The story has to have been already planned for a while, I don't think Ame would change it just because there is people don't like it.   

E15: mimimimi I hate the lack of choice in this game, none of your decisions seems to matter

E17: mimimimi I hate that I can make choices that have actual consequences

Radomus: 10
Taka: 30

1 hour ago, Jess said:

No. They would simply present the truth in the softest way possible. False hope is catastrophic. 

She would instantly both lose her trust in the doctors and be emotionally hurt about the death of those who had little chance of survival after all.

Truth is paramount. When dealing with lies, that's when you forfeit trust in someone.

44 minutes ago, NickCrash said:

No. They would simply present the truth in the softest way possible. False hope is catastrophic. 

She would instantly both lose her trust in the doctors and be emotionally hurt about the death of those who had little chance of survival after all.

Truth is paramount. When dealing with lies, that's when you forfeit trust in someone.

OK, I will rephrase it. They would avoid answering and tell her not to worry about that, till the truth would pose no danger for her life.

Truth is paramount, but only at the right timing.

But that's only my opinion. We can agree to disagree.

Edit: In my opinion, in general truth is subjective and overrated. Sometimes, to get the best possible outcome, you will need to lie in the process. Maybe it's a case of "the end justifies the means", to which I'm not particularly against anymore, since I've lost a lot of important chances in my life because I fought 100% fair, and got defeated by others who utilised unfair means.

From my point of view, truth depends on perspective. What is "truth" to me is "lie" to someone else. 

It might sounds cynical, but I don't find much point in striving for truth, if the consequences of it are much worse than preserving a white lie.

Cain: 25

Radomus: 8

@Jess

The article was a good read. Yet, the answer remains a definite no.

I understand where you're coming from when you say that fighting fair is not always rewarded, and I can say that in some cases I completely agree with you. Given I know the situation in the shithole we're both still living in, I wouldn't blame you either. But I think you're mixing two different things there.

It's one thing to justify the means for the ends, when all parties can potentially play unfair. However, that's a completely different discussion when we're talking medically.

The doctor has a role that includes dominance over the patient. The patients on their own side rely on the doctor to treat them, tell them the truth, and inform them when needed.

Not telling the truth is different than waiting to be certain about the exact situation is. That too needs to be explained. If you haven't figured something out, but you lean towards a diagnosis, you still tell the patient that you're unsure yet. This is the closest to a constructive lie (term trademarked) you can get, but it still is not a lie. If that's what you meant with the "optimistic" approach, then you're close to the truth. But blatantly lying about their or another's situation just to wait for the emotional part to settle is far from what should be happening. 

There's no point in telling someone that things will go alright, just to impose placebo on them, when you either don't know, or (worse) know reality is quite different.

Lezzoni says it best "Patients who do not get the full story might not be able to make an informed choice about the best course of action for their care"

A frank and open approach to communication is key for a successful interaction between the doctor and the patient.

This can be applied in all relationships where trust should go both ways and one party has dominance over the other (quick example: parent and child)

Lying achieves nothing, especially if it's going to be refuted afterwards. The trust is lost, the outcome doesn't change, and the patient won't continue treatment with a person that lied in their face and didn't even sweat.

Nocebo acts similarly. When the patient is ignorant or believes in an extremely optimistic scenario when their prognosis is limited, then it is the doctor's duty to properly inform and eliminate all false ideas they had about their situation. The worst example in such a case is a patient with cancer who is mal-informed and thinks they are treated, when in fact they have some years left to live. Even if it's about others, the emotional stress does not weigh more than the trust they need to have in order for themselves to survive or at least improve till they are stabilized. 

The doctor will tell the patient the truth, with as much tact as possible. Those who lie, usually do so because of their inability to properly deliver bad news. It's logical that seminars about the subject are organized or that medical schools are teaching ethics in their curriculum, either as a standalone lesson or under the umbrella of empathy. 

That said, truth is objective.

You might argue that our understanding of truth hides behind layers and we can only see a fragment of it, but it's still there. 

At the very least, calling perspective subjective does not justify a lie in a situation as the above. 

@NickCrash I think you're right. But I rephrased it and said that sometimes postponing the truth is beneficial. Not telling the truth isn't a lie. If you ask me about something and I elaborately avoid to answer, I'm not lying. I just don't say the truth. That's what most doctors do when a patient asks something, if they know that the shock from the truth maybe threaten their very life at that moment. Of course they say the truth, but only at the right time. Till then, they just avoid it, this isn't a lie.

Also, when we console someone, we all say "it's gonna be okay, just do your best and it will all be fine". Of course we don't know that, so it's a lie. But we will say it anyways, cause it's boosting someone's confidence to feel that the other believes in him/her, so it is more likely to actually succeed. Thing is, we have really connected lies with bad/evil and truth with good, and we don't see the truth. Both can be beneficial and used for good, if used properly. And that is subjective.

You can say that truth is objective, if you define truth as a sequence of facts. However, the interpretation of truth is what matters, and that is 100% subjective. Truth on its own is the facts, which have zero significance till you start looking behind them to explain the motives and actions behind them. This will show you whom to trust and whom not to, not just the truth.

Anyways, let's move it back to the topic, since it got too philosophical. My original point was that saying the "truth" like Titania wants at that timing only hurts everyone. Instead, preserving the lie till the conditions are correct for truth to bloom is the preferred choice, judging by the facts we have so far.

Cain: 25

Radomus: 8

Titania: 10

El: 19
Lau
ra: 20

ZEL: 2

@Jess Wow, really awesome analysis of Titania.

But still, Titania is more awesome. Because she is cool. And because she has an Aegislash. And because she's Titania.

Shelly: 26
Titania: 8

Well that was a lot on Radomus

I don't like or hate him, so I'll leave him be.

I can't let Titania go for murdering a bunch of people, so I'm hurting her.

Shelly's been a favorite of mine, so I'll  boost her.

Edited by uberle

@Thiazzi Thanks :) At least I justified why I don't like Titania... I try not to pour hate on some character without saying why :) 

One upvote to Laura, for not killing the guards in Tanzan mountain Meteor base, when we team up with her, but putting them to sleep with Lilligant. I love Laura.

I also merged @uberle's vote with mine and @Thiazzi's, since uberle missed thiazzi's vote.

Titania: 6
El: 19
Laura: 21

Titania: 8
Blake: 17
Cal: 24

I've explained why I hurt the ones I did so far, but now let's explain why I heal Cal. First of all, Cal is my favorite character in the game (well, no shit). This is mainly because I see a lot of myself in him. Misguided by anger and easy to piss off while trying to change this, which is quite like me. or at least how I was. I still wish to change myself in that regard, but I've gotten pretty good grips on my anger issues, though they will never truly be gone (yeah... downside to having Aspergers. Really fucking sucks). Seeing his redemption for the first time made me realize that I too could be redeemed, and that filled me with quite a bit of hope for myself. So wherever the IRL Cal is, thanks a lot :)