What're YOU listening to?~

NoGoodBoyo

So I really like the lyrics and the music, except the part where it says there was nothing there anyways. No. There was always something there or it wouldn't be worth tearing down and changing to something else when the person comes back in force.... something more worthwhile.

Different Heaven- Far Away sounded good at first, then it quickly devolved into terribly stereotypical not-goodness. It dissolved into a techno beat. Which is just that. A beat. No melody or dynamics... just... a bland sound that keeps time and does NOT constitute as music on its own.

Boss Fight- Sonder was decent. I guess.

I want you to know that there are certain genres and styles I dislike because they're too repetitive. or where the lyrics don't add to story the music conveys by adding new meaning despite using the same melody...

It's the difference between:

"I've got a voice but it can't be heard" x infinity, aka a lot of trance, dance, edm, etc. the rhythm repeats almost endlessly with one small sound added with the main refrain is over.

vs

"I've got a voice but it can't be heard. This isn't the place where I can share my word. There's another shore unspoken.... I will get there and weave a tale unbro---ken...'

pls arkhi, find me an acceptable song.

pls arkhi, find me an acceptable song.

Let's see if I can't find something using contemporary electronic beep-boop sounds that you enjoy.

It's easy listening to what you can expect and predict. I confess, with music, I'll broaden my taste to include what's good and what's not in the hopes there will be a gem. Among the EDM genres and sub-genres, there's a ton of music devoid of feeling (that is to say, without lyrics or an attempt to appeal to emotion) that sounds awful, some that's devoid of meaning that sounds good, and some that have meaning and sound good.

Though there's only one I've found so far that sounds awful and has meaning. I'll tell you in advance, you won't like the sounds, but you may very well like the song.

Sizzlebird's an exception to the electronic genre in the best way. He mixes violin with electronic elements and really does make it sound good.

Personally, I enjoy searching for subtle changes in a song over the course of its verses and choruses. Even among the simplest songs, artists enjoy throwing minute differences everywhere. I'm worried about showing this song, since it definitely goes with what you said about songs repeating themselves again and again. But, well, don't know if you don't try.

Sue me, but I'm rounding this off with something I think appeals more. I think it's a good concatenation linking together what you mentioned in your post.... bar the lyrics. You can never tell what sort of meaning artsy fartsy people mean to convey.

And if all else fails, I always could link more indie rock, alt rock, or some genre that doesn't take the easier electronic approach.

Let's see if I can't find something using contemporary electronic beep-boop sounds that you enjoy.

It's easy listening to what you can expect and predict. I confess, with music, I'll broaden my taste to include what's good and what's not in the hopes there will be a gem. Among the EDM genres and sub-genres, there's a ton of music devoid of feeling (that is to say, without lyrics or an attempt to appeal to emotion) that sounds awful, some that's devoid of meaning that sounds good, and some that have meaning and sound good.

Though there's only one I've found so far that sounds awful and has meaning. I'll tell you in advance, you won't like the sounds, but you may very well like the song.

Sizzlebird's an exception to the electronic genre in the best way. He mixes violin with electronic elements and really does make it sound good.

Personally, I enjoy searching for subtle changes in a song over the course of its verses and choruses. Even among the simplest songs, artists enjoy throwing minute differences everywhere. I'm worried about showing this song, since it definitely goes with what you said about songs repeating themselves again and again. But, well, don't know if you don't try.

Sue me, but I'm rounding this off with something I think appeals more. I think it's a good concatenation linking together what you mentioned in your post.... bar the lyrics. You can never tell what sort of meaning artsy fartsy people mean to convey.

And if all else fails, I always could link more indie rock, alt rock, or some genre that doesn't take the easier electronic approach.

For the first one- It starts off okay. But then it doesn't go anywhere. It stales quickly. Then the lyrics and the noise happen and ... the voice acting is terrible and the lyrics end up being really bland. It smacks to me of teen romance/angst trying to be deep and artistic. But the piano and the techno accents that build up from 4:11 up until about 4:40 are really good.

2nd one, sizzlebird valley. starts off well enough. But the violin part sounds... well, not just too slow, but off-rhythm. And is simplistic, but not in the nice elegant way and it doesn't go well with the beat going on in the background. Lindsey Stirling, the violinist is not. The background beat stays the same nearly the whole time, but it commits the sin of not complementing the violin part at all.

Kontinuum... yeah, it's changes are WAY too gradual for my liking.

I feel like the last one is good, but not really my aesthetic for most of it. As a form of funk, it's not bad at all. Actually, it's pretty good. The male vocals and lyrics make me think of Owl City, and that is definitely not something I like.

---------

Well, my turn to both recommend something/ stay on topic.

How familiar are you with the movie of and soundtrack for Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World?

There is a bunch of repeating in here, but it repeats lots of exciting, intricate segments that transition seamlessly to each other and then treating them as one long segment that is actually repeated. As much as I love it, I'm not really one for extended plays so I think I would cut it shorter than it is if it popped up on my playlist randomly and didn't fit the mood.

This is actually a classic, popular piece for cello. But I don't really agree with the same, constant speed through the whole piece as played here. It could be more artistically expressed if the tempo changed.

A good chunk of the song I really don't like, but it's worth listening to the parts that I do like, so here's the link to start off right around there. It kinda ends around 6:35 or so, so listen to the rest if you wish.

https://youtu.be/4tSq1P5pels?t=4m30s

And if you aren't familiar with the movie, this clip gives you some context and a little insight to the background. The two characters playing instruments are the ship's captain and doctor.

the one with the actual music piece name, but pretty much the same as above.