Unpopular Character Opinions

andracass

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hard to know if a character is (dis)liked but I know 2 both from gw2. I did stop playing after the first expansion.

I like but is disliked.

Trahearne was a scholar who became matshal of the pact. Most people hate because he steals the credit of the mc's hard work but I saw a man who rose up to the challenge to fight the elder dragons. His voice acting could be better though.

I dislike but is liked

Taimi . She's an asura which is also the main scientist of the biconics. A total immature, irresponsible brat which causes more trouble than she's worth but we're supposed to care because she is a child and cripple. Everytime I see/hear her I want to sent her back to primary school where she belongs.

@andracass well I hadn't really thought of it that way, but for me it's more of a soft spot for the downtrodden than just liking things out of spite, despite what I said in my first post. I don't like it when people just dismiss something just because they have a few negative qualities, but oh well, people are different I suppose.

Of course, it'll be fabulous if everyone tuned in on the same wavelength, but that's not how human beings function, is it? It all boils down to how much you can accept that and be tolerant, which I admit, are qualities I do not possess.

Edited by RedAlert

I can't actually get a good grip on what the opinion on Fern is here since I get the feeling everyone hates him, but from most of the people I talk to, they all seem to enjoy him, or rather at least think he's a good character (good character =/= good person).

So idk if this is unpopular or not (it probably is) but I like Fern.

@Guzam considering how much he impacts players in the game and how much hate people generally have for him, I'd agree, that yes, he is a good character, well developed because he is super effective in triggering people.

I still hate him though.

Edited by RedAlert

Yeah you'd be surprised at the number of normies who appreciate Fern.  There are a lot of people who wish Gamefreak would bring back the "jerk" rival, and to them Fern is everything they wanted and more.  Dunno if they'd change their minds on him turning to the "dark side" though, because I don't know anyone outside of this site who's actually made it that far into the game.  Because Reborn isn't for normies.

Anyway, I've heard both good and bad things about them, but people like Trunks, Lucina, Homura...  I'm just a huge sucker for characters from a bad future going back in time to change history.  Maybe because I identify with having a past that I'd give anything to redo...

I for one am extremely happy Gamefreak stepped away from the jerk rival, as it just doesn't feel like a real rival to me. I've said this before, but the "rivalry" feels more like you're beating someone up who just wants to beat you for no damn reason other than to rub it in your face. Where with Barry you actually have a friendly race to the finish where you push each other's limits along the way. now tell me what feels more like a true rival between those two, the one who just wants to beat you to rub it in your face or the guy who wants to have a fun adventure and push you to your limits

Fern is a jerk but who apparently has a superiority complex. That makes him a better-developed character, than someone who just wants to be mean to the protagonist. Anyhow, I don't like Fern because he's more a dude I want to punch in the face than someone I want to beat through battles xD

I'm too lazy to think about other games right now but as far as Reborn is concerned, I actually like Lin a lot since this last episode. I'm pretty sure she's generally hated but after replaying the game, paying more attention to certain details and reading around the forums, she's actually a very interesting character rather than just a zero dimensional OP evil boss.

It's also lots of fun whenever she's on screen and she's actually being nice to the protagonist for some reason. Can't wait to see where her character goes.

Anyhow, I don't like Fern because he's more a dude I want to punch in the face than someone I want to beat through battles xD

And you think disliking Fern is an unpopular opinion? I though for sure your comment was heading in the direction of liking him.

@Wolfox guy who wants to rub it in your face. The whole "friendly rival" thing doesn't sit well with me because you could honestly care less whether you're better than them or not. On the other hand, a rival that thinks he or she is superior to you and claims it all the time is more aggravating which makes you want to defeat him all the more - and that, my friend, is what pushes you to your limits. 

I probably have what you call a skewed perspective of life, but on an emotional basis, what Fern does is better you as a Pokemon trainer.

@RedAlert I greatly disagree. Because why would you care if you're better than some dumbass who thinks he's the best? Put it in a real-life scenario. Let's say you play tennis. Would you rather call a friend your rival or some douchebag who even if you beat him fair and square will just say "You just got lucky." or "The sun was in my eyes." because he still believes to be superior. That's not a rival, that a douchebag who doesn't deserve to even be in the competition.

If you're facing your friend, you're genuinely happy and excited and give it all you got, PUSHING YOUR LIMITS. But when you face some douche who will still say he's better than you, then you don't have as much motivation because even if you completely stomp him he will never acknowledge it.

@Wolfox

I guess in that case it comes down to each individual and what they're motivated by. An easygoing "let's become the best Pokemon trainers!"-kinda rivalry is too juvenile for my tastes. I really didn't bother EV training or breeding while facing Barry (hell, I didn't even give a fuck about natures), while against Fern I made sure to EV train a full set of 31 IV Pokemon just so that I could nuke that sonofabitch.

(Although to be fair it's probably that Reborn is much harder than the official Pokemon games, but I take special pleasure in oneshotting Fern).

Edited by RedAlert
Welp, forgot tag

• 4 weeks later...

Bennett is probably rather unpopular, but he is one of my favorite characters in Reborn. The will to improve that fueled him after he realized how creepy and hopeless his obsession with Luna was will likely turn him into a badass. People who are angry with themselves are usually the ones who work the hardest and grow the strongest. If he held on to that feeling he will be very tough to defeat when we face him again.

Is it just me, or did Fate gender bend 99% of the guys? These people need to be stopped. On a separate note, I know that they like to take creative liberties to make them more anime, but there's usually something in their 'lore' or description that rubs me the wrong way for the characters I've uncovered so far.

Characters from video games I like that other people hate, (using Tv Tropes as a guide and anything related to Pokemon I will stick with just the human characters)

Cloud from Final Fantasy VII

Asgore from Undertale

Chara from Undertale (I believe she is the narrator)

Arthur Maxson from Fallout

Preston Garvey from Fallout

Silver from Sonic

Demyx from Kingdom Hearts

Kari from Kingdom Hearts

Almost everyone in the Law alignment from Shin Megami Tensei

Yu from Persona 4

Rise from Persona 4

Ryuji from Persona 5

Haru from Persona 5

Fenris from Dragon Age

Noel Vermillion from Blazblue

Celica A. Mercury from Blazblue

Luna from Blazblue

Micaiah from Fire Emblem

Severa from Fire Emblem (I am biased though because she is Robin's daughter in my game)

The Adoring Fan from The Elder Scrolls

Archmage Hannibal Traven from The Elder Scrolls

Heimskr from The Elder Scrolls

Bennett from PKMN Reborn

Characters from video games I hate that other people like,

The Chaos alignment from Shin Megami Tensei

Steven from Shin Megami Tensei

Joker from Persona 5 (mostly for his ultimate persona)

Kokonoe from Blazblue

Relius Clover from Blazblue

Lucien Lachance and the rest of the Dark Brotherhood from The Elder Scrolls

The Thieves Guild (Skyrim) from The Elder Scrolls

Jarl Balgruuf the Greater from The Elder Scrolls

Emperor Titus Mede II from The Elder Scrolls

Radomus and his Gossip Gardevoir from PKMN Reborn

Luna from PKMN Reborn (for her obsession with darkness)

Cain from PKMN Reborn (because of his flirting which I find to be annoying)

Fern from PKMN Reborn

• 2 weeks later...

I know Robb Stark from Game of Thrones has a lot of fans, but I dont like him. He got what he deserved. Not because he broke an oath, although in my opinion that would be more than enough reason to kill someone. He deserved to die, because he was too stupid to see through such an obvious trap, leading nearly all of his followers to their deaths in the process. He was a failure and died like one.

First of all: He put his own interests ahead of the wellbeing of the men who followed him, making him a very bad leader. He knowingly risked to throw away a military alliance which would have been essential for their victory and survival. Meaning that he knew it could mean the death of everyone under his command when he married Talisa, even if Walder Frey hadn't betrayed him, but had simply refused to help him any further as a consequence. He allowed himself to make catastrophic strategic mistakes based upon his feelings and at the expense of his banner men. Thats not what a responsible military commander would do. Second: He blindly trusted Roose Bolton, despite the fact that the Starks and the Boltons had been enemies and rivals for centuries. He should have expected that Roose would betray him and could be used against him by Tywin Lannister. And instead of trying to prevent this almost inevitable betrayal by charming Roose Bolton and offering him more power as a reward for his help once the war was over, he constantly pissed him of. That wasn't a very smart move to make, given the fact that the Boltons troops were second only to the Starks and a vital part of the norths armies. Third: Walder Frey was a pragmatist and a materialist, and obviously not a man of honor. The only reason he helped Robb was because he thought one of his daughters would become queen and his family would rule once the war was over. The moment Robb broke his oath, Tywin Lannister simply had more to offer to Walder Frey and he had more to gain from a Lannister victory than from a Stark victory. Robb should have known and foreseen that he would never forgive him and would definitely betray him. But instead, he was stupid enough to willingly follow the Freys invitation and lead his men into Walder Freys home, where they were at a disadvantage and to allow himself and his men to let their guard down and get drunk and defenseless. Come on. The Red Wedding was obvious from a mile away. Robb Stark was an idiot. A kind hearted idiot, but ultimately a dead idiot.

• Support Squad

This topic basically encapsulates every waifu and husbando ever, if a game gets a lot of attention you're gonna get mixed receptions. Also understanding how controversial an opinion you have depends on your understanding of general opion.

That said, for Reborn, Titania can fuck off and Fern, Fern's a dick but that's about it, and I like Dicks.

Gaming in general is harder, I'll go for two big series I guess so I'm not just plumbing vague feelings. I don't have many franchises per se that really stick out to me though so Kh and Persona it is.

KH:

I adore Roxas in spite of the incredibly long tutorial he was in KH2 that seems to really irk a lot of people. That said I played his game 358/2 before I did 2 because 2 was damned hard to find for me, meaning I went into 2 understanding his shtick and with a healthy attachment to him by dint of spending 40 odd hours with him. It's harder for me to dismiss him as an edgelord as well when he shows up at other times too because his story is genuinely tragic. Good boy 10/10

Riku: I get his character arc, I understand his bit, maybe it's the imo flat voice acting or just the fact that his Hollow Bastion fight in 1 fucked me up for ages but I don't really like the guy. I also never played CoM because fuck that battle system in its entirety, so I know I'm missing out on a good chunk of his screen time.

Sora: I like him. He is very much a flawed protagonist, not the brightest, consistently put forward as a linchpin character, we're almost forced to like him and enjoy him over other more interesting and nuanced characters and, for me, it works. Dude wasn't initially the main character but solely through being a nice guy he manages to step up to the plate and do the damn thing. I appreciate that.

Persona:

Junpei, Yukari and Mitsuru: So these three made up my main party in p3 right up to the end because I like to spam healing all the time and I liked Junpei more than Koromaru. Tactically they jsut made sense for me but of course most of the reasons theya ren't too well liked lies mostly in the story, at least for the first two. I never suffered from Mitsuru's charm fuckery too much.

So people dislike Yukari, afaik, because of the Answer wherein she becomes a fair bit more "bitchy" as has been said to me. I never played the answer, the main game felt comprehensive enough and I just never got around to it. So my experience of Yukari was just her main story and her Social Link. Honestly, one of the best Persona girls, she was my romance in 3.

Now Junpei, he's different, people don't like him because of his role in the main game. He starts off as an ego driven show off who resents you for being perfect, because you're the mc of course you're perfect. It might be an illusion on my end but it seems like a lot of people discount just how much personal growth he goes through, going so far even as to have his own relative side story that builds his relationship with an antagonist completely independently of the MC, this really stood out to me in a game where it felt like everything happened based on the MC taking action and pushing forward the story and I ended up adoring my bro for it.

Naoto, Chie and Yukiko:

Naoto i'm just not keen on because I stopped playing in the middle of her dungeon. She jsut wasn't compelling enough for me to care and I ended up fading away from the game. Fairly light reasons to dislike her.

Chie, maybe it was just her inital voice actor but good god she was grating and her focus on phsyical skills in the original, bear in mind i was emulating the first and not playing golden, was just meh.

Yukiko though, oh good god, everyone seems to like her and find her adorable and gorgeous and blah blah blah blah blah when pretty much all her traits aren't the least bit endearing to me and her character design feels so very flat. She looks like she could be an npc with a red coat, not this gorgoues idol the game keeps pushing her as. I dropped her asap and I ended up running an all male team in P4 before stopping, despite hating Teddy.

for P5 I don't really have a grasp on who's a controversial character, maybe Ann and Ryuji cuz Ann is the secksy won and Ryuji constantly gets shit on by everyone in game, I like just about everyone in that game though so I'd basically just end up defending people when idek the issues people have with the characters.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand the hate for Titania. Sure she's murdery and her methods may be unconventional and wrong, but her long-term intentions are honest and true. I find her a very complex character

Spoiler

as depicted with her fairytale theme in the latest episode

and that is one of the most attractive things for me. Her gradual change in attitude towards us (although she is still pretty aggressive) is what strengthens her likability. Mistakes are inherent in human nature and it's committing them and learning from them that makes us develop as a person.

That or I'm beginning to lack empathy... I hope not.