TotMGV:G2: Return to Rio (Subplot)

DragonRage

Isobel slips her hand downwards, pulling her sleeve back and untying the bandanna she had tied over the device on her wrist -- uncovered from its hiding place was the Golden Chaingun Mar had given to her, a relatively thin item of metal and golden stone encircling her wrist that would allow her to shoot out chains of mana. "Haha, right, well, here goes then!" And she follows Sachi right on down.

Isobel pulls herself off of the ground, sweating a bit and with a baffled expression. The first words out of the normally quiet botanist's mouth are "What the hell was that?! There was -- there was music playing! Someone is messing with us!" LOTUS seems to share similar sentiments -- he's displaying an angry face but with multiple question marks also on his display. "Ugh... well... let's hope this isn't trapped too." And Isobel moves to plug the flash drive into the USB ports.

Edited by Powder Miner

Hikari takes a deep breath as the copter comes whirring towards them. Seven people on foot vs. helicopter, no big deal. Helicopters have machine guns which are not fun, so best protect the group from that first. Then, after seeing what a Helix Rocket can do to one of these helicopters, and whatever Bridgett had done, buffs their attack as well. 

Auto Support - Tarukaja/Rakukaja (2 targets + 2 = 4) Rakukaja on Hikari, Nyahiro, Bridgett, Ana.

Tarukaja/Rakukaja - 2 targets - Hikari, Bridgett.

Kagari quickly sent another message.

"Okay, I'm on the 32nd floor. There are four projects in the R&D lab; codenamed Snowball, Raptora, Stopwatch, Bulwark. The research around me seems to be relating to replicating plastics with hard light. I'm going to look around a bit more. I could probably try to work my way downward to hit the R&D lab first, but I'm not too comfortable doing that without backup."

With that, Kagari began to snoop around the lab more.

Kagari examines more notes and some of the experiments. Was this lab recently occupied? Check for levels of dust, signs of human activity and all the test tubes. While searching, grab a sample of hard light and ingest it to try and understand how it works.

Edited by Code: PIRULUK

While Isobel busies herself with the flash drive, LOTUS responds to the slimegirl, and everyone else on the team's radio. "I do not recommend attempting to hit the labs. I'm not quite sure what's going on, but something is playing with us here -- we entered the basement and, and this is a serious report, music started playing before a boulder came rolling down on us. Things are getting unpredictable, so I do not recommend drawing attention while solo. I would recommend waiting for the roof team to enter the building and joining them, but they haven't reported yet so I couldn't tell you what that wait would be."

Something occurs to Isobel. "Hey... while I work on this, can you two check for alternate exits? That, uh, boulder blocked the staircase off and all."

Over the radio you hear the sound of multiple helicopters in the distance, some sort of energy fizzling and crackling through the air, and....bees? "Sorry about that, we're a little busy at the moment.  We had to bring down two of Vishkar's patrol helicopters then third snuck up on us, but don't worry I'm sure they'll wave on their way down.  We should be into the building shortly."

Wyvis dusts himself off. "Thank you, friend! You are a saint!" Wyvis, a little unsteady on his feet from the sudden boulder, bows in gratitude in Sachi's direction.

"Well. It seems that we are trapped, yes, but I see there is another elevator shaft!" Wyvis looks around a little more. "The last elevator was a trap, and I suspect there will be many more like it. So far, the climbing the shaft seems to be the only way out."

Team Quiet

Isobel is able to recover the data with no problems or alarms.  It's rather anticlimactic, actually.  However, the three are unable to find another way out of the basement.  It seems it's elevator or nothing.

Team Ninja

Kagari examines and ingests a piece of hard-light furniture.  She discovers that light is apparently made of countless tiny particles that are somehow energy and solid matter at the same time.  Vishkar uses electrical currents to stick the light particles to each other with some sort of magnetism.  She finds signs that the lab she is in was used during the day, though it is deserted now.  Also, Genji drops from a vent in the ceiling to land silently beside her.  "Hello.  I did not expect to find you so high in the tower."

Bridgett sighed as the last helocopter came into view she hoped they they could avoid something like this. Shaking her pointed Mornings Arrow at the machine as energy gathered at its tip. "Charging" The Device chimed.

Bridgett Charges Mythral Buster this turn will be fired next turn dealing 6D6+Syn Damage.

Team Loud

The team engages the helicopter!

Spoiler

Bridgett charges an attack.  Mithral Buster will be unleashed next turn.

Hikari uses Tarukaja/Rakukaja to give herself and Bridgett +12 to their main attacking stat, and Ana and Nyahiro +6 to their main attacking stat!

Nyahiro fires a beam of chaotic energy that (syn 14 vs con 9) transmutes the helicopter’s armor into gelatin for the next 2 rounds, and deals 5 damage to it.

Friedhold summons a swarm of bugs which distract the chopper’s pilot and chew on wires, dealing 4 poison damage.  The insects will keep attacking for another 5 turns.

Ana Amari fires her biotic rifle at the helicopter’s windshield, dealing 20 damage as the nanites eat away at the bullet-resistant glass.

Session activates!  Hikari fires a burst from her heavy pulse rifle, dealing 10 damage as she peppers it with pulse bolts.  It’s so big you’ll never miss.

The Vishkar pilot fires his nose-mounted machine gun at Bridgett and her charging heavy attack, dealing 20 damage as the full metal jacket rounds rip through her barrier jacket like it isn’t even there.

Venus fires his basic attack at the helicopter’s motors, dealing 12 damage.

Session activates!  Hikari fires a burst from her heavy pulse rifle, dealing 11 damage as she peppers it with pulse bolts.  The suppressing fire never stops.

Spoiler

Bridgett:  16/36 HP

Vishkar Chopper:  -58 HP.  ? HP remaining.  Some visible damage, but it doesn’t appear seriously inconvenienced.

Everybody Else:  Healthy.

Edited by DragonRage

Friedhold again raises his left hand, palm pointed towards the helicopter, fingers twitching erratically while electricity arcs between them, and finally the energy releases as a bolt of lightning flies out of his hand and into the helicopter.

I use "Electro Bolt II" Deals 1d6+[Int](6) electric damage, [Int](6) vs [Con] for a stun, -6 Eve(2/16).

"Thank the sun that it was not yet another trap. That would have been unfortunate.

Hmm... I can't see any other option than the elevator. We will have to climb the shaft up."

Wyvis waits a little bit for his teammates to get ready, then takes a deep breath and starts climbing up the shaft.

Wyvis slowly maneuvers himself to see if there is anything trap-looking contraptions.

Edited by PigeonOfAstora

Kagari glanced at the ninja.

"Neither did I, in all honesty. Not much I can do about it now, in any case."

She gestured around her.

"Doesn't look like we'll find anything useful here. We could go up and assist the rooftop team with the helicopters, or we can go down and raid the R&D lab. Thoughts? I don't have any real preference, myself."

"Right! Well, good thing I've got this thing then!" Isobel taps the orcish contraption on her wrist twice before trailing off, then walking into the shaft and aiming the Golden Chaingun at a point higher up in the shaft, allowing the point to sink into the wall and then for the chain to pull her up.

"Alright, status report from the lower team. We've secured the data with no further complications, and are now heading upwards through the elevator shaft."

Edited by Powder Miner

Team Ninja

"I suggest that we link up with the roof team," Genji suggests, "It is likely that the R&D lab's valuables will be heavy and difficult for us to carry on our own, and if we are ambushed while weighed down we will be at a serious disadvantage."

Team Quiet

Wyvis and Isobel make their way up the elevator shaft while Sachi hunkers down behind her shield, waiting for the trap she feels is certain to spring at any moment.  It certainly 'springs', but not in the elevator shaft.  There is an abrupt sensation of movement, like a giant is shaking the tower, before gravity in the server room abruptly shifts so that 'down' is toward the elevator shaft.  Fortunately, Sachi has excellent reflexes (dex 22 vs 12) and is able to land on her feet.  The gravity has apparently also shifted in the elevator shaft, but Isobel and Wyvis were in no danger as they had less than a foot to fall.

[OOC:  The gravity has shifted only in the server room and the elevator shaft, but Wyvis, Isobel, and Sachi do not know this yet.]

Venus

Even after a series of attacks, the Helicopter still maintains its functionality; Venus reprimanded himself into the arrogant thought that destroying the motors would be an easy task, but glances in intrigue at the essence of the weapon Ana was using in particular, while preparing his next attack. It was not damaged enough to his liking to prepare his coup de grace yet.

Venus fires his second Artful Flourish at the Helicopter. (chance to crit (INT/2),Quartenary Art bonus damage = T x [1 + B] damage, T= 2, B: = 2)

*T = Turns Elapsed

B = SYN Bonus damage (1 per 4 SYN)

"-Wah!" Wyvis reflexively grabs onto a railing, but he lands with a small thunk nonetheless.

He stands up again, examining the sudden shift in vision. The entire world was shifted, the shaft walls on his feet and the walls becoming ceilings.

The power of technology is truly amazing... though it is perhaps not time to admire the opposition's advancements now.

He checks over his teammates. "No-one is hurt? Ah, praise the sun we all are unharmed." Wyvis points down the elevator shaft that is now a tunnel.

"Looking at the sunny side, now we do not have to do climbing, ha ha ha!" With a hearty laughter, he sets off adventurously into the shaft.

Isobel lands more gracefully than Wyvis does, considering that she was already swinging for the wall -- that just puts her feet on the ground, now, though she does flail a little bit. She lets out a breath before responding quietly to Wyvis: "Well, I guess there is that..." Isobel begins to walk behind Wyvis, though perhaps more warily than the mage, as she walks looking around nervously and getting ready to dodge anything that might come her way.

LOTUS, meanwhile, does his usual thing and communicates over the radio. "Alright, well, there's no other way to put this other than that my team just had gravity shift on us. Have the other teams experienced the same thing, or is it just us? This essentially confirms the presence of magic, and therefore an utterly unknown variable, too. Be careful."

Bridgett Grits her teeth as the bullets ripe though her Barrier Jacket leave tears that where turning red from her blood. "My Lady are you okay." Morning arrow chimed as the energy was reaching its peak. "Yeah I'm fine don't stop charging." Bridgett said with a little strain in her voice. "Very well Charging complete My Lady." The device chimed.

"Okay" Bridgett said as she bracing her body as a Magic circle appeared a little ahead of the charging energy. "Now Mythral Buster FIRE!!" She called as the energy entered the circle a fired out in a powerful beam at the helicopter.

Bridgett Fires Mythral Buster dealing 6D6+Syn(6+12  is her syn right now) damage

Sachi breathes in deeply, setting forwards to the front of the team, shield still held up to fend off any projectiles.

This wasn't going to plan. Everything was trapped, and in all likelihood they probably knew they were here already. Sachi exhaled deeply.

For all the training she'd been given and all the experience she'd had fighting Vertex, she wasn't exactly trained to do a stealth mission, all things considered.

"Y-you all okay?"

Isobel gave Sachi a nervous smile, and flashed a thumbsup, if a little bit of a weak one. "Don't worry about me, alright? I'm not hurt. And LOTUS isn't either, being a pAI and all." 

LOTUS evidently didn't feel the need to reply, continuing to scan the hallway as they moved, the little eyedots on his screen shifting this way and that to indicate that. Still, the rest of the emoticon on the screen was a tight frown -- the mission had gone thoroughly out of the bounds of initial intel, and though that was to be expected, the degree it had gone out of said bounds was irksome at best and catastrophic at worst. He knew that they were being played with -- and worried that if whatever was doing so got serious, then survival would be a difficult prospect.

Team Quiet

The group makes it to the location marked as the security barracks with no further incidents.  There were guards posted, but they seem to have fallen off a balcony.  After being thoroughly perforated with shuriken.  Sucker's bet Genji passed through here on his way to reinforce Kagari.  Regardless, they now have free reign to enact their plans upon the sleeping troops inside.

Team Ninja

Kagari and Genji make their way up the tower, taking the stairs since the elevators are manifestly untrustworthy.  As they pass the 43rd floor, though, the lights begin to flicker and the walls of the tower distort themselves, as though they were starting to lose power.  Oh, and the walls start bleeding.  Blood goes absolutely everywhere.  Kagari scrambles for stable ground, but the moment she reaches somewhere safe-looking, the light and wall malfunctions cease as if they had never been there.  The walls keep seeping blood, though.

Assuming that Kagari is not disturbed enough by this to halt, the slime queen and the Overwatch agent keep going, past mysteriously absent guards (which Genji wasn't responsible for this time), until they reach a corridor lined with doors.  All the doors lead to the same room, though, even the one they entered the corridor with.  Inside the room, a single woman of Indian descent sits behind a desk.  Everything below her chin is concealed by the desk, so the only distinguishing features visible are her spectacularly bad bleach-blonde dye job, obviously fake Santa beard, and eye patch.  

"You came!" The woman exclaims gleefully.  "I knew you would come.  They told me you would come.  And now you're here!  My adoring crusaders!"

Team Loud

There isn't much point in more combat posts, because Bridgett rolled straight sixes on her Valkyrie Breaker and basically cored the helicopter.  You could fit the biggest pieces in a thimble.  Team Loud is now free to do things.

Edited by DragonRage

Nyahiro's presence was strangely lacking in the wake of the fight. It wasn't clear where she went. She probably just decided that, erm, strategizing with pictures of Bridgett was more relevant than her presence in battle

Also if she weren't gone she would totally have been super excited about Bridgett's glorious moment of awesome awesomeness

Nyahiro leaves Rio