TotMGV:G2: Return to Rio (Subplot)

DragonRage

Wyvis asks around, and is directed to the practice range, a room set aside for learning to use firearms.  Its walls, he's told, are reinforced so that practicing with weapons won't cause damage, and somebody experienced is always on call as an instructor.  Upon entering, he sees that class is apparently in session.  There are twelve targets, but only six students in the room.  Three of them are firing at targets with small guns, of the kind he recalls Kagari calling "pistols".  Cowboy cosplay guy is chewing out a man and a woman for something.  Wyvis doesn't understand all his slang, but the gist seems to be that one should not point a gun at anything they do not intend to shoot, even if it isn't loaded.

The final student is having his aim corrected by an elderly woman wearing thick, padded grey armor and a blue cloak.  She also has a patch over her right eye, and the biggest gun he's ever seen hanging from her back on a strap.  She notices Wyvis immediately, directs the student she was with back to his target, and approaches him.  "Another new student?  Or are you just here to practice?"

Isobel pretty much just follows LOTUS' lead when it comes to doing their part in the pre-infiltration study -- in LOTUS' case, this means data crunching. Lots and lots of data crunching. The very first thing that LOTUS does is to bother Lucio into letting him analyze a building plan of the Vishkar building, and at that point LOTUS makes an attempt to infer things from the plan -- trying to figure out what would be likely features of the building based on the relative position of other features, etc. He also tries to hunt down street plans for the surrounding area on the internet, observing for any abnormalities.

LOTUS finds a number of interesting and potentially worrisome pieces of information.  First off, the entire building is constructed from Vishkar's hard-light technology.  In addition to turning their trained architechs into nigh-unbeatable reality warpers while inside during the day, this also means that the floor plan is changed frequently, rooms and equipment created and destroyed as they are needed.  The original architectural drawings are more annotation than original, as Symmetra and Genji have done their best to keep them updated.  It's also covered in unused, sealed spaces, places marked as 'highly variable', and marked locations of sentry turrets.  These obnoxious devices lock on to unauthorized persons and fire a low-powered laser at them, causing slight damage, as they broadcast an alarm throughout the entire facility.  The turrets are easy to destroy, but breaking one also raises the alarm.  Genji has been able to bypass them by using the air ducts and moving so fast the turrets' computers write him off as a camera malfuction.  Unfortunately, unless you have the speed and flexibility of an elite cyborg ninja these routes won't work very well.

However, on the positive side, LOTUS discovers that Vishkar Tower is not in fact connected to Rio de Janeiro's utilities grid.  However, there is a water tower a few blocks away that doesn't seem to be connected to anything according to official city records.  When Isobel takes a walk for a closer look, she notes that the tower looks old, weathered, and rusty, like it's been standing there since before the First Omnic Crisis.  However, there are hardly any weeds growing through the cracked concrete base, and the gravel surrounding it supports few signs of life.  If the tower was as old as it is meant to look, no matter how well maintained it was, there would be a lot more plants growing around here.  Somebody went to a lot of trouble to make this tower look inconspicuous, and if not for LOTUS' attention to detail and Isobel's experience, they would have gotten away with it.  Once alerted to the possibility, Lucio is able to confirm that this is Vishkar's water source by locating the pipes with ultrasonic imaging.

LOTUS also discovers that a suspicious number of storefronts near the tower are vacant and for rent, with no offers up, although he is unable to determine whether Vishkar is secretly using them for something or people simply don't want to set up businesses near the ruthless corporation's headquarters.

"Hello!" Wyvis greets the instructor. "My name is Wyvis Ivenson of Nivinuxis. I was wondering if I could learn how to use those projectile weapons of this realm, for I am not familiar with them."

Wyvis looked at the instructor lady. A slightly darker complexion, he noted, with some kind of scarf, or hood. It reminded him of the Roamers in the Avinarra deserts, save for the giant 'gun' strapped on her back.

"Anyway... let's go on that tour thing. We should get a look at the inside and we're probably two of the least obviously armed people in the group." Hikari says.

Assuming an affirmative answer, Hikari looks up how to get on such a tour of the corporation, and then the two head that way. The mini-kagari that Kagari has just been leaving on Hikari's head has shapeshifted to look like a rather nice hat rather than a miniature slime girl (rather less odd that way. Then again, Japan). 

"Hmmm, Japanese, is it?"

Kagari frowned and rubbed her chin. Of course, there was no guarantee that this world had a conception of what they seemed to all recognise as Japanese - though the ninja certainly made it very likely. What amused Kagari was that the stereotypes of Japan seemed to be the same no matter which world they went to - Japan was always this weird place populated by weird people. In a sense, that's why she liked staying in Japan rather than in the Demon Continent back in her own world. It made it easier to blend in.

Well, if they were going to pass as tourists, Kagari certainly couldn't go in with her swimsuit. She motioned at the other girls to go ahead first, before ducking into an alleyway. Her body swirled around her as her swimsuit shifted and transformed into a blue sundress, paired with a broad-brimmed white hat. A pair of black sunglasses materialised over her nose. She clutched a small white tote bag in her hand, but then peered in and remembered that she was currently carrying a revolver. She frowned. She could eat it and reproduce it if she wanted, but if anyone else wanted the gun later on, that would be a problem...

She ran out of the alley and caught up with the other two girls, grabbing Hikari's arm and hugging it, making a show of planting a kiss on Hikari's cheek. While she did, she quietly spoke into the girl's ear.

"I still have the revolver in my bag. Do you have anywhere we can stash it? Otherwise I might be forced to eat it."

Hikari, having some acting experience, responded in kind with a quiet giggle (and a light blush, although the acting there was more in question) to disguise her words - "When you get a chance, pass it off. Ivory can take care of it." she said under her breath, so that only Kagari could hear. 

Isobel happens to be taking a look around that area at the same time -- while LOTUS sits quietly in her pocket tabulating the data he had been gathering, Isobel goes and takes a walk around those storefronts that LOTUS had noticed earlier. She isn't really able to enter them or anything (she is no ninja, and it isn't as if she would have any excuse if she were caught inside), but she had had success walking around earlier, so she figures that maybe if she took a look around the area and looked closely she might notice something off.

Edited by Powder Miner

Isobel and LOTUS

Isobel fails to find anything interesting in the storefronts.  Even when she has LOTUS pop a lock for a quick peek inside, the buildings appear truly empty.  However, she does notice a Vishkar helicopter airlift a large crate onto the roof of Vishkar tower.  About ten minutes later, a series of strobes from the top floor leave Isobel and LOTUS assaulted by the lingering smell of purple.  Isobel is slightly disturbed by this, because she's never had light cause her to smell something before.  LOTUS is very disturbed by this, as he doesn't even have an olfactory sensor.

Wyvis

"Ah.  One of the newcomers, then.  I am Ana Amari.  I run the practice range when we're in between missions.  Let's see what we can do with you, shall we?"  Over the course of a few hours, Ana coaches Wyvis until she's satisfied he won't shoot himself in the foot, or a teammate in the back, because he doesn't know what he's doing.  "I must admit I am surprised to see you here.  Zarya gave the impression that all of you either thought you knew how to shoot already, or preferred to approach your firefights Reinhardt style.  That is, with a melee weapon.  So, what is the occasion?"

Sachi, Kagari, and Hikari

The three disguised magical girls' gun hand-off goes off without a hitch, not because nobody notices but because nobody cares.  They are able to enter the Vishkar Tower tour group without incident, and are taken on a guided tour through the facility, packed with propaganda extolling Vishkar's charitable work and generosity in helping the beleaguered city of Rio de Janeiro get back on its feet.  The girls notice that though the halls and room arrangement are rarely the same even when backtracking, the tour guide seems to have a current map on his smart glasses.  However, about halfway through the tour, they enter a hallway that soon has the way they came blocked by a wall that appears out of nowhere.  There is a door in front of the group.

But, the door has an electronic lock with an old-school keypad.  A yellow sticky note has been placed above the doorknob, with the sentence "Be sure to turn the knob widdershins before you enter The Konami Code, or the lock won't turn."  The tour guide seems utterly baffled by this turn of events, and starts arguing quietly with somebody on his radio.

Edited by DragonRage

"Ah! Yes, I am a Paladin from the lands of Stravaga. I believe you call my realm a 'fantasy realm'?"

Wyvis tries to put the safety on and take out the ammo, but somehow manages to disassemble it and drop the parts on his toes, making the surrounding people question if this level of clumsiness with a gun was possible.

"Ouch... in any case, I prefer to wield a melee weapon, such as this," Wyvis takes out Harvest, a giant titanite scythe, its golden motto glistening in the light.

"I wished to be able to shoot the 'gun' so I can infiltrate as a guard, perhaps."

"I believe your friends back home would call our world a 'fantasy realm'," Ana states, sweeping up the pistol pieces and showing Wyvis how to avoid doing that again, "And you already know more about shooting a gun than those mall cops Vishkar hired.  All muscle, no skill.  But how do you plan to pass as a guard?  Did you get an ID card somehow?  Even if you have the uniform, without proper identification you won't pass.  But if you have the card and the uniform, I can alter it to match you rather than the original owner.  It won't stand up to close scrutiny, but it should work for a while."

Kagari reached out and tapped their tour guide on his shoulder. She put on her most convincing attempt at an expression of concern and curiosity - very convincing indeed, considering that she had complete control over her facial muscles - and asked in a sweet voice - again generated by manipulating her vocal chords:

"Is something the matter, sir? Where are we, currently?"

"Oh, really? I was thinking I would try to glue the image of myself over the card, however I believe your method is much better. Thank you, any kind of help will be appreciated." Wyvis said with a cheerful smile. Yes! Everything was working out quite well, now. Perhaps he needed more practice firing these 'guns', however other than such, plans started to fold in. 

A prayer stone in his pocket started to glow. "Err... excuse me." He said quickly, and walked quickly over to a quiet corner. It was either Visrii's or one of his Paladin's calling in. He took out the prayer stone. Imbedded in it, was a small, clear crystal, glowing in his palm slightly, as if waiting for a response. He recalled an invention this realm had called 'feletones', or something; this was his equivalent, allowing him to speak to people who had to same 'frequency' over the Beyond. In some ways, it was better than the feletones, since the crystal projected directly into the mind, kind of like telepathy. It was quite rare and expensive, though an anonymous prestige had donated these to his entire squadron.

(Conversation with his Paladin here. Skip if not interested)

Spoiler

"...is...is this working?"

"Zora? Is that you?"

"Ah! Commander! Praise the light, you are alive! We've been searching for you!"

"Praise be, Zora. And the same for the rest of the group?"

"Yes, sir! Everyone is without ill, sir!"

"Good. I've jumped realms, and the return time is not defined. Tell Pyria to return to Rivitherine, and tell word that the situation at Uphernfade needs... extra investigation."

"Yes sir!"

"Thank you, Zora. I can always depend on you. I'll be staying here for quite a while, in any case; I need to find Visrii, somewhere here."

"...Visrii, Commander? Blackflame Visrii?"

"I know you guys may not like him, but you know that he's the best fighter in the entirety of Stravaga. And you, Zora, were there when he fled. You know what happened."

"...sir."

"As headstrong as he is, he is a fine asset, at the least. A true friend, at the most. He's got contacts all over Stravaga and he's got honor stuck in his head. I'll need to find him, and bring him back."

"Be warey, Commander. I cannot challenge your judgement, though there is no cost to caution."

"Thank you, Zora. I'll keep eyes open. In any case, there are people here that needs help. I'll be damned if I abandon these people."

"Acknowledged, sir. May the Sun shine upon your blade."

"May you walk the Lighted Path."

Wyvis breathed a relieved sigh. So no-one was hurt, at least. Only he was dragged into this world, then. Well, as much as he would have preferred jolly cooperation with his Paladins, it would also have put them insignificant danger. They were already risking by allowing Visrii be free already; he didn't need everyone being abducted at once. In any case, he had a case to work with.

He returned to the blue scarfed lady. "If I may ask you a question; are you participating in the operation? Surely, as the instructor of these cadets, you must be a talented shooter, a person we would need for this kind of operation."

Sachi, Hikari, and Kagari

"Oh, no, ma'am, everything is going fine," The tour guide tells Kagari.  He is incredibly unconvincing.  "We're just experiencing some, uh, technical difficulties.  Yeah.  Everything will be fine soon.  No need to get upset.  We're just off the main lobby.  Getting out will be easy, just as soon as the joker who messed with this door puts it back."

Wyvis

"Of course I am.  I'm not retired; not yet anyway.  I'll be providing medical and sniper support as needed to your group during the main infiltration, and maybe something else too," Ana shares, holding up a large dart containing a reservoir of faintly glowing, yellow fluid, "Sleep dart.  Just the thing for making sure those Vishkar guards don't raise a fuss while you strip them, yes?"

Kagari arranged her face into an expression of practiced concern.

"Oh, my. Someone messing with the doors? Is this something that happens often? That sounds slightly unprofessional..."

Her eyes widened in mock fear.

"Wait, this isn't some kind of outsider thing right? We're not under attack, are we?! Like, terrorists, or something?!"

Playing perfectly the part of the panicked, worried girl, she clung to Hikari's arm while trembling, eyes imploring their tour guide for reassurance of some kind.

"What?  No!  There's no way.  Our security measures are impenetrable," The guide declares with confidence.  "Probably some do-no-wrong dipshit of an architech wunderkind screwing with us for their own amusement.  I'm sure everything will be cleared up soon."  The second part is somewhat less confident.  It's pretty clear to Kagari that the tour guide has little idea what the heck is going on.

"Wow," Wyvis whistled, "Amazing how this world gets over the absence of spells."

Pyria would go crazy over all these new findings, if I could somehow take these... though I'm pretty sure the Ios will interfere with a lot of these.

In any case, he was best to go back to his training at the gun ranges now, if he was to get his shooting up to a marginal scratch.

"Ah, I must continue practicing. Surely, a guardsman will be able to hit a target; an imposter no different."

He shoots an entire clip into a 20m range and manages to hit one shot into a margin, and then smiles proudly.

"Well, look at that! I'm improving!"

Edited by PigeonOfAstora

"A very forward-thinking man once said that sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.  And I would wager that the reverse is true as well.  Not bad marksmanship for a few hours practice either," Ana declares charitably, "You should be able to pass without shooting anyone in the back, as long as you switch to something more familiar for actual combat.  So, where are you planning to ambush this guardsman?  ...I should probably be the one to land the dart." Barely flicking her eye in its direction, she pulls a compact pistol from a concealed holster Wyvis completely failed to notice and puts a dart into the neck of one of the moving targets on the other side of the range from the novices.  Conveniently, this is also the eyepatch-free side.  If Wyvis has any first aid training, he'd recognize the impact site as very close to the jugular vein.  Slightly to the left of where a living person would have it, in fact, to deliver the dart's payload directly to the heart without rupturing critical blood vessels.

"...huh." Wyvis was rather stunned at the marksmanship, and was a little slow to recover. "Oh, yes. I've have uncovered one of their meeting places, a gathering of sorts. It seems to involve a significant amount of alcohol, in fact."

Wyvis grinned. "If the Sun grants us Luck that day, we may not need a sleeping stimulant at all. But yes, it's at [address], any and all assistance would be fantastic!"

Edited by PigeonOfAstora

Venus

Bang. Bang. Bang.

The sound of three trainers firing at targets befuddled Venus’ mind like a disorientated orchestra. It took practice to shoot well, but Venus could not resist the umpteenth tinge of contempt he had throughout his journey between these mysterious realms. Perhaps his fame had garnered arrogance with what it was due – he knew and cared not. Beside those who trained, a young man near his age of silver hair trained with an instructor in tow. Wyvis, he presumed, if he have had the inclination to remember that name, was practicing with an eye-patched woman donned in grey armor.

Bang. Bang. Bang. Eyeing each shot from the leather of his mask, he found each dull, gauche, unappealing shot, launching themselves one after the other.

Those present in the room then did not notice his presence, or at least were too focused on training to pay notice even to Venus’ juxtaposed appearance. Having remained disinterestedly tight-lipped throughout the intel briefing session before the group of participants diverged to their own ways (albeit taking note of everything he deemed significant to the mission), Venus had idled time away with his back on a wall before he decided to head to the training room. Venus had spoken his first words in the dimension to several of the facilities’ familiars as he was directed there -- partially out of boredom, but primarily out of the fact that he recognized that the given mission was not one of which he could partake in alone. This was no matter of private assassination or infiltration, of which even the artistic assassin’s outre tastes would find suitable. Venus had arrived here with the hunch that someone would at least be here, knowing that Hikari and the others had ventured elsewhere -- and it seemed that his presumptions had not gone to waste. The best form of strategy now, even he had to wait, was to act as a group, even when preparing. Venus preferred to work alone, but he certainly wasn't one to disrespect his own limits. 

Yet the boredom and uninviting scene before him grew increasingly painful to watch. They needed to bear witness to the shooting of a real star.

“Is your training system against firearms that are not of that of your own realm? I guess it wouldn’t hurt that I’d have a little practice.” Venus said, approaching Ana and unfolding the long drapes of his cloak to reveal Whisper intricately hanging at the side of a jewel-inlaid belt. “…Oh. I’m with him – one of the few newcomers that is to help with your mission. Venus Tireur. And don’t worry, you needn’t demonstrate to me the art of shooting a gun – unless, of course, your answer to my foremost question would be no.”

Edited by Noir

Hikari, looking around to make sure nobody (who isn't with her) is looking, simply tries the doorknob. She's no professional spy, but espionage only really works if you get a reasonable idea of the place as a whole; if they didn't check the door they could have a nasty surprise when they came to grab the woman for real.