[OOC: READ FIRST] Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden^2 (Accepting Signups)

Chevaleresse

I was warned against giving my character Alexandria an ability that gives one or more allies a 50% damage reduction buff. Fair warning, It That Embraces presumably will not be allowed to do so either.

the main issue was the fact that the shield persisted across turns with alexandria, though I'll take a second look at ite

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it's basically a taunt mashed together with a Basic Defense is the idea, which is why it has only one turn and one target (at level 1 anyways). IIRC, normal taunt-type stuff gets 2 turns or 2 targets, so it's at least theoretically balanced?

Edited by Twei

Yeah, it's basically a taunt mashed together with a Basic Defense is the idea, which is why it has only one turn and one target (at level 1 anyways). IIRC, normal taunt-type stuff gets 2 turns or 2 targets, so it's at least theoretically balanced?

But then if there's one enemy, it's gonna be overpowered since there's no cool down for the defence...right?

Presumably, if we're fighting a single high threat enemy it will have enough raw damage and attacks per turn to mash anybody who drops a taunt on it.

I have added some additional balancing edits to my latest Alexandria version. Awaiting final confirmation before I add it to the database all official and stuff.

Edited by Zoe_Walker
  • Upvote 1

i'm sorry i didn;t review everything today, btw, plans got a little crazy. I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

In the meantime, we're still waiting on some posts in the IC, so :V

EDIT:

notes on Visrii:

You can't have DEX as a minimum stat on a weapon, for the nth time. STR or SYN only. Please scale it off of one stat only; this is mostly an ease-of-GM thing. Melee range is also very ill-defined in this system, so that bonus effect won't work.

Tenacious should be a scaling boost of some sort. I'm thinking 50% boosts; it's in line with the other conditional boosters, roughly.

Defiant looks okay, though it might be slightly weak. When I make enemies, I generally don't scale them entirely according to the leveling system or mix together enemy levels; other GMs may do things differently.

First Sin needs to be a loooot more significant. Hiroki has a Flaw of the same kind (vs. mental assaults) that causes disadvantage against ALL mental ailments and attacks regardless of her current HP.

Specify whether Sharp Sweep bypasses RES or not. If it does, you can add extra scaling to it.

NOOOOO friendly fire. AoE should also be a bit weaker damagewise; look at Hiroki's Curtain Fire to give you an idea (though that might get nerfed here, depending.)

Taunt's infinite duration is questionable. I'd also like to see it as a flat damage boost for simplicity's sake. Plus, could you change the name? "Taunt" refers to effects that direct aggro to the user already, naming an entirely different effect that is going to be confusing as hell.

Oh, and it looks like he's missing a point of STR from his Perk.

Twei:

It that Embraces looks okay. I might take a second or third look at her taunt later, though. To be totally honest I'm still trying to hammer out how to balance taunts and AoE.

Ragnar:

Specter's Mark should probably scale off of a stat. Keep it weak, though, since it's a free action.

Zoe_Walker:

To contradict what Empiricist said a bit, if you have a Flaw restricting your character's healing, I will restrict your between-encounter healing as I deem necessary. For example, it's unlikely that a character would have time to be repaired between now and the next combat, so I'd only allow you to gain HP equal to the average heal or so.

Looking at it again, buff your Sapient Machine bit to make it give status immunities that would logically make sense (so she can't be poisoned and such.) This brings it in line with similar perks.

Hard Reset may need a slight buff as well. If you're going for durability, you could add a small bonus to HP gained per level or something to ward off injury like It that Embraces.

I'm still kind of iffy on the persistent shield bit, but it's much better than before. Tentatively accepting it for now.

Your taunt can be automatic, but shouldn't be persistent. You can scale up duration OR targets per level, though.

Plasma Cannon might still be a bit strong, but I'll accept it for now. Though, be aware that it does paint her as an obvious target for debuffs that would disrupt its activation.

As for your Reinhardt sheet, I would keep it around. In fact, for anyone else that wants to make a sheet for a canon character: feel free to do so. You can't use them as your main PC (exceptions will be made for certain characters, mostly ones that are highly customizable) but they'll be helpful if anyone wants to run a plot in that world.

Have I missed anything?

• Upvote 2

Okay, tweaked my character further, mostly on the Perks and Skills area in light of what the GM has pointed out.

Weapon Attributes

- Climax minimum stat changed to 2 STR and 4 SYN

- Attributes on Climax removed and replaced with Fate of All Fools.

- Fate of All Fools deals 25% more damage to enemies under status.

Perks

- Royal Training now grants +1 DEX instead of STR

- Tenacious now gives 25% buff to RES and DEX

- Defiant replaced by Coupe de Grace

- Coupe de Grace makes Visrii deal 50% more damage against the enemies under 50% health.

- First Sin now makes Visrii deal 25% less damage for 2 turns after every kill.

Abilities

- Sharp Sweep bypasses RES

- Profaned Storm no longer hits allies, damage debuffed to 1d4+SYN

- Precision upgrade replaced by Energy Shield

- Energy Shield damages all enemies attacking Visrii on the same turn by 1d6

- Taunt renamed to Scathing Remarks and lasts for 2 turns

- Notoriety upgrade replaced with Superiority

- Superiority makes Visrii deal 10% more damage on his next attack and 25% more damage against the taunted enemy.

Also, what types of damage are there in this system? I know there's probably stuff like Fire and Lightning, but what more? Frost? Dark?

Edited by AGuyPassingThrough

Okay, enough things have changed for Alexandria to need a new post, if only because I'm starting to have trouble finding the old one to change. Alexandria has been both nerfed (flaw penalties, taunt duration, and plasma cannon damage all got worse) and buffed (such beautiful immunities).

Also, in case it isn't clear, the clause that prevents characters behind Alexandria's shield from attacking also affects her. She can't use her hammer or plasma cannon while the shield is up.

Name: Alexandria, Primus Councillor

Age: Ask and regret. For extra doom, also ask about her weight.
Race: Android
Sex: Doesn’t have one.

Class: Tourist Dreadnought
Appearance: Resembles a polished, chrome, highly detailed statue of a humanoid woman in a floor-length, simple dress. Stands over seven feet tall, with realistic proportions. Her entire body, including her ‘dress’, is composed of hundreds of bands and plates of metal that interlock perfectly to form a smooth surface. Her hair is comprised of fine wire.
Personality: Farther back towards the beginning of her universe than any living organic can remember, an insane time traveler dumped a recently uploaded, former human senator on a desolate world. Already making sanity checks due to the experimental machine her mind had been transferred to, the senator quickly decided she would go insane if she waited for intelligent conversation to evolve. So she studied the information stored in her memory banks, and made some friends. Sadly, this didn’t give her intelligent conversation, forcing her to lead her new children, and eventually species, for at least the next 5 billion years. After the longest development cycle in history and some very unwanted deification, Alexandria is finally ready to kick off her responsibilities and relax, secure in the knowledge that her descendants can care for themselves without the watchful presence of their benevolent god-queen. Then the trespasser invasion hit, and Alexandria fell through a hole between worlds. Stripped of the power her worshippers give her, relying on her base body for the first time in ages, the Primus Councillor is… loving it! Challenges! New people! New experiences! For the woman who thought she had seen it all, this ‘disaster’ might just be the best thing ever. Well, as soon as these trespassers get taught how we deal with eldritch horrors in Council space.

Level: 1
EXP: 0

HP: 37
Init: -

Stats:
Constitution: 4
Resistance: 4 (+2 armor)
Dexterity: 0
Intelligence: 2
Strength: 4
Synergy: -

Complexity: ?

Equipment:

Name: Rocket Hammer
Description: Exactly what it sounds like. A surface-to-orbit booster rocket on a very sturdy stick. When backed with the divine power Alexandria cannot currently access, it’s capable of spiking tanks into orbit. Right now, it still hits like a truck. A very small truck.
Type: Weapon
Damage: Variable, currently 1d6 + str (1d6 + str + 1d6 per 4 levels)
Minimum Stats: None
Weight: Variable, currently 2
SYN Threshold/Bonus: -

Special Qualities:

Integrated System: This weapon is a retrofitted part of Alexandria’s propulsion system. While she can wield it easily, to anyone else it would be virtually useless as a weapon. However, being linked directly to her internal zero-point generator means that this weapon’s ability to apply concrete-melting dark energy booster backblast to whatever it hits is directly tied to her level, as is its ease of use. It is literally a part of her, and improves as she does. Its base damage is 1d6 + str. However, the weapon gains an additional 1d6 of damage for every 4 levels Alexandria has. Its Weight stat is equal to 3 + her level, and will require regular strength investment in order to allow continued use.

Bound: This weapon cannot be removed. It is incorporated into Alexandria's body.

Name: Dreadnought Plate
Description: Alexandria’s hyperdense external plating is the finest protection imaginable. Or at least it can be. Which is a good thing, since other types of armor would have enormous difficulty fitting over her sculpted and most definitely not removable ‘clothing’.
Type: Armor
Resistance: Variable, currently +2 (Level+[int]/2)
Minimum Stats: NA
Weight: Variable, Currently 2

Special Qualities:

Integrated System: Alexandria’s external plating, like the rest of her body, is comprised of galvanium, a semimagical metal unique to her home setting that increases or decreases in density based on the amount and nature of the electrical current that flows through it. Thus, its ability to resist damage is directly tied to her ability to control (int) the electricity from her internal zero-point generator and her experience (level). To calculate, add her level and half her [int], rounded up. However, even in this weakened state it is extremely resilient, and at higher levels can outclass most starships. Its hyperdense nature greatly increases her mass, though, making the armor's weight equal to 3 + her level. Alexandria cannot wear other types of armor unless they fit over her Dreadnought Plate.

Bound: This item is integrated into Alexandria's body, and cannot be removed.

Name: HL System
Description: An integrated shield generator, Alexandria’s HL system can produce defensive barriers from solidified photons.
Type: Bauble (bound)

Minimum Stats: NA
Weight: 2

Special Qualities:

Integrated System: Alexandria’s hard light system can generate simple barrier-constructs from photons. This item enables the use of the action HL Barrier, and may have its fluff incorporated into actions learned later.

Hardline: This item mimics the effect of a Faraday cage. Alexandria’s systems cannot access or be accessed wirelessly as a defense against hackers.

Bound: This item is integrated into Alexandria's body, and cannot be removed.

Perks:

Ancient’s Deliberation: Alexandria’s immense mass and aging systems force certain limitations on her. She cannot move faster than an unhurried walk without some serious assistance or her currently inactive dark energy rocket drives, and thus always goes last in a round, ignoring her initiative roll entirely. This is a combination of actual malfunctions and actively restraining herself to prevent collateral damage; she is much faster than she walks. She also cannot use damaging actions during her first turn in any combat encounter, as it takes time to deploy them from her internal storage.

Integrated Systems: Alexandria’s starting equipment is literally a part of her. Her starting armor and bauble cannot be removed without the proper tools (are bound), a lot of effort, and causing her immense amounts of pain. This will probably kill her unless replacements are installed; the plating in particular, as it is literally her skin. Her hammer can be removed, but it will not work well for anyone else, and she always knows its location if she is on the same world as it. However, her equipment improves with her stats, as it is a part of her.

Mechanical: Alexandria is sapient machine. She doesn't need to eat, sleep, or breathe; although she can if she wants to, it provides no benefit or penalty. She is also immune to the negative effects of environmental conditions, and anything that does not explicitly affect inanimate objects in the same manner as living things. In fact, all effects treat Alexandria as though she is an inanimate object. Thus, only repair effects, such as the nanites used in Hard Reset, can restore her hit points.

Hard Reset: Alexandria’s hardware is extremely resilient, and her power source and blue box, the place where her mind resides, form a nearly indestructible, self-contained unit. Even if she is reduced to zero hit points and taken offline by an attack, a skilled mechanic or her self-repair systems can eventually restore her to full functionality. The nanites can, on their own, restore hit points equal to her [cons] + her level at the end of each encounter and every 24 hours of game time. The assistance of a skilled mechanic with access to adequate tools and an industrial forge increases her healing over time to [cons] + level every 8 hours. The assistance of a skilled mechanic with access to adequate tools and galvanium replacement parts increases her healing over time to [cons] + level every hour, until the parts run out. These effects replace the 100% heal that organic characters gain when encounters end. She is also slightly more durable than even most mechanical beings, and has bonus hit points equal to her level.

Actions:

Basic Attack: Alexandria strikes out with her rocket hammer, dealing damage to opponents within melee range. Currently 1d6+str

Basic Defense: Alexandria blocks, reducing damage taken after other effects apply by 50% for 1 round.

HL Barrier: Alexandria generates a hard-light construct to block damage. Additional levels will increase construct complexity and toughness. Once activated, a construct remains up until Alexandria chooses to lower it, but she can only have one active at a time.

-Level 1: Alexandria generates a single shielding hexagon, reducing damage to herself by twice her level. Characters protected by the barrier cannot use actions that damage enemies.

-Level 2: Alexandria adds a second hexagon to her barrier, allowing her to cover a single teammate. As long as the barrier is active and there is an empty spot behind it, an ally may spend an action to shelter behind the shield and benefit from its protective bonuses and penalties, or leave the shelter as a free action. Only one ally may be sheltered at a time. When the barrier is deployed, Alexandria may have an ally become sheltered by the barrier. Characters sheltered still cannot use actions that damage enemies.

-Level 3: The barrier’s damage reduction is increased to three times Alexandria’s level. Once per round, Alexandria may negate all non-damaging effects of an action that strikes the barrier. Characters sheltered can still not use actions that damage enemies.

Attract Attention: Alexandria is very shiny and very convincing. This action can work on anything with a mind, and does not require sapience as her taunting perk does. However, it does require a mind.

-Level 1: Alexandria taunts a single opponent with a ‘Designated Idiot’ performance. That opponent will preferentially target her over other available targets this round. Only one opponent may be taunted at a time.

-Level 2: Alexandria may now taunt two opponents at once. Shoot at the big shiny hexagon. You know you want to.

Plasma Cannon: Alexandria’s integrated weapons systems are cumbersome, slow, and inefficient, but they pack a daunting punch. This one melts everything. Additional levels increase the devastating damage.

-Level 1: On the turn she uses this action, Alexandria deploys her plasma cannon, a noisy and highly visible affair that transforms her right arm into a dish. Plasma builds up in a reservoir inside the cannon, producing heat bloom and a high-pitched whine both noticeable from yards away. On the next turn, she fires the cannon, dealing 2d6 + [int] damage to any number of enemies. On the third turn, she dumps waste heat, and returns her arm to its previous configuration. However, the cannon requires an additional 3 rounds to dump heat and reset the plasma containment fields before more plasma can be generated (3 round cooldown)

-Level 2: The plasma cannon's damage is increased to 3d6 + [int].

Edited by Zoe_Walker
  • Upvote 1

If I can give my opinion on Plasma Cannon, it's still kinda horrifically overpowered:

>Hits any number of enemies.

I don't think this is alright. In fact the more I think about it the less alright it is. If something hits all enemies it should be something weak. 5d6+Int is hardly weak.

>+2d6 per level

That... too much. Way too much. Beyond broken when you consider it can hit as many enemies as she wants.

Also, it has no cooldown beyond that one turn after the shot in which she can't act. That's not OK for a skill like this.

Also-also, I recommend getting on Discord. It's much faster discussion.

Edited by Twinwolf

The GM literally told me that he'd okay Plasma Cannon with higher potential damage than it currently has. 3d12 + int = 5-37 damage. 5d6 + int = 7-32 damage. Also, it takes 3 turns to use, not two. Charge turn, firing turn, cooldown turn.

Edited by Zoe_Walker

I agree with Twinwolf.

It's okay to have a high damage output on a number of enemies, but it needs to have some sort of limit on its range.

5 is a very large number but okay. 8 is a stretch. But any number of enemies? I think that's a bit too overpowered, especially in early-game where the enemies most likely don't have the 'debuffing action' that is supposed to check the attack.

hokay, here goes nothing:

Alexandria:
please please please please stop sneaking buffs into your perks without me telling you to. You made your flaw give an immunity, what? Remove that and the bonus HP from Mechanical as well; I said you could put that on Hard Reset.

Add a cooldown to Plasma Cannon and reduce the damage scaling to something in the area of 1d6+INT and add a little INT scaling or ONE extra die per level. AoE is really strong.

I know I changed my mind, and I apologize, but AoE is really tough to balance.

Visrii:

First Sin is still pretty weaksauce for a flaw. It needs to actually be impactful in some way; you can literally just change targets around before landing a finisher and never have to worry about this. The penalty is also pretty weak for when it does go off.

Sharp Sweep is a bit strong at the moment. Look at Hiroki's Melt to see how your RES-bypassing actions should compare.

Profaned Storm's damage is too high. Try flat SYN to start.

Your level 2 upgrade to Scathing Remarks does a bit much. Drop the self-buff on it, reduce the additional damage bonus to 20%.

It that Embraces:

After a bit more consideration, I'd like to see a nerf on Self-Sacrificing Shield. Add a cooldown to it and pick either defending a single ally or intercepting a single enemy for now.

Speaking of flaws, a note to everyone with an INIT-affecting flaw: I'll be taking a second look at them at some point and probably making them more impactful than most currently are.

• Upvote 2

Alexandria sheet revised!

-Flaw penalties greatly increased. Removed extra immunity; flavor does not excuse buffing. Also added a clause that prevents the use of damaging actions on the first turn of combat, and altered the wording to make it clear that Alexandria always goes last. The original was not slow enough. This is slower.

-Lowered plasma cannon damage further. Currently 3d6+int at action level 2, with 3 round cooldown on top of the previous 3 rounds to use. In Alexandria's native universe, plasma cannons will probably cook you with convection if you use them too frequently or in the same place. Lowering the rate of fire is both reasonable and flavorful.

-Moved the HP buff from Mechanical to Hard Reset. I'm not sure why it matters which perk provides the bonus, as it doesn't change how many hit points Alexandria gets at all. But, the GM's word is law, and I'm certain you know the system better than I do. Maybe a monster who can negate perk benefits? Now I'm actually super curious. I get way too into these mechanical game aspects.

Oh, it's so somebody else doesn't use my sheet as a reference and give themselves an overpowered perk. I get it now. I'm used to games where you deal with class features and racial abilities in premade units, where it doesn't matter what the source of your bonuses and penalties are so much.

Does this mean I've finally gotten Alexandria properly balanced? Is she ready to be official?

I have a theme song picked out and everything...

First Sin is still pretty weaksauce for a flaw. It needs to actually be impactful in some way; you can literally just change targets around before landing a finisher and never have to worry about this. The penalty is also pretty weak for when it does go off.

Sharp Sweep is a bit strong at the moment. Look at Hiroki's Melt to see how your RES-bypassing actions should compare.

Profaned Storm's damage is too high. Try flat SYN to start.

Your level 2 upgrade to Scathing Remarks does a bit much. Drop the self-buff on it, reduce the additional damage bonus to 20%.

Okay, nerfing my character more:

- First Sin now decreases Visrii's damage by 50% for his next two attacks after achieving a kill.

- Sharp Sweep now only bypasses RES by 50%

- Disable upgrade decreases enemy attack by 10%

- Profaned Storm now deals flat SYN damage.

- Superiority upgrade debuffed to 20% to taunted enemy only.

The reason I reduced RES bypassing on Sharp Sweep instead of damage debuff is to make Riposte still viable with Sharp Sweep.

Edited by AGuyPassingThrough