Fire Emblem On The Forums: Ashes (IC)

Pyon Pyon Kyuu!~

jN80Jl6.png

"It's not really a subject I feel comfortable discussing, especially not here. I apologize, but I will not be answering." Meredith wasn't entirely sure how informed her unit was that she was once part of the force they were fighting. She assumed by this answer not well. She immediately clammed up and refrained from answering the question, even a little. She knew now wasn't the time. Especially while they were moving prisoners. She wasn't sure if it would flare any tempers, or... what it could cause really. For the peace of mind of those they rescued she didn't that it'd be best they never knew she was once working for their oppressors. She just hoped she deflected it well enough that he'd not press further questions, or, that he wasn't the type that wouldn't take no for an answer.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ZL7mt8W.png"Are you saying I wouldn't do the same? I will fight, whether I'm blasted, burnt, or bleeding, past the point where my very bones give in from the sheer strain, to end this grotesque parody of a rule. I pray because the Goddess gives me the strength of limb and heart to do this, and I pray for the distant miracle that no one else but those responsible for this are hurt. It may be a lofty ideal that's impossible in reality, but I am going to chase it nonetheless! You might call me a fool for putting my belief in the Goddess, and I might call you the same for not believing that there might be some force beyond mortal ken helping us in our quest." She closed her eyes and nodded, seemingly satisfied with her retort.

45cda3930a024a82bd9ea9b0f558dc83.png

Having heard Meredith's answer, Ecquis decided not to press her further. Not here anyways. Mira started grumbling slightly, something he had felt several times in the past. Based on her answer, it seems that Meredith hadn't just heard rumors. Based on her answer, she probably has personal information on the conditions of the soldiers. More than likely, she probably had family of some kind that were drafted. Provided of course, that she was from Dragao. If either one of those wasn't the case...Ecquis decided not to go down that line of thought. He would naturally ask, and something told him that he shouldn't press this issue unless it becomes necessary.

Speaking of origins, Ecquis did not know much about where his comrades came from. He decided that he might as well find out. It could give him some insight on how everyone thinks.

"If any of you are ok with answering, where are you all from exactly?"

ZL7mt8W.png"Hmph. My fiery passion will prove you wrong soon enough.

I hail from the Ishikawa clan, in Yukihana. The Goddess came to me and told me to come here and combat the injustice in this land." She said this last with a pointed look at Meredith.

jN80Jl6.png

"We'd have thousands of champions of the goddess if every loon was to be believed about their "vision". Your passion also will only prove me more correct. It's of your own merit, it doesn't come from the goddess." Clearly kept her composure. This one sure was a hand full, but nothing she hadn't handled before. There were plenty of loons like this in the Dragao forces. Far too many. Why such grand illusions were seemingly common these days was beyond Meredith. As if the Goddess had time to play wet nurse for these petulant children. It was probably some ploy for attention. Regardless it wasn't much of a concern, it was highly unlikely to be true and even if it was... well it's not like she had anyway of knowing. Even if she did, it wasn't going to make her see this one any different than now. Just a brat, that had never seen the true horrors of what war was. She'd learn soon enough. "As for where I come from... Just a small fishing village in Dragao. So small it's not even on any maps."

00ad9f38130d4701a43bc2ec888b4940.png

"Well, since you're so curious." Luka gave a smirk as he faced Ecquis. "I'm from Dragao, just like the woman over there. I used to live as a bit of a performer in one of the trade cities." Luka spun around, giving his allies a short dance. "As you can tell, I drew quite a crowd with my dances." Luka let out a short laugh as he finished his explanation.

ZL7mt8W.png"Grr..." The archer stalked off toward the nearby woods, twintails bobbing as she unstrung her bow. Once she felt she was sufficiently isolated, she set to work caring for the weapon as needed, then folded herself into a crosslegged position and closed her eyes.

A loud noise of metal hitting metal suddenly resounds through the jailhouse. Then another. And another. Then something metal starts scratching something else metal, for whatever goddessdamn reason.

Who? What? Why?

It is Klaren, the uncannily light-hearted priest, or well, former priest, admiring one of the cell doors. From the inside. With a knife in hand. Scratching the rust from the bars, as if interested in it. He pulls out some sort of worn out book and wiggles something down with a pen. Appears he'd been smashing the door into its frame repeatedly before that, but only the Goddess knows if that was true. However, his attention seems to shift over to the shackles lying on the floor and he smiles, kneeling by them and starting to examine them as well, seeing whether they fit around his ankles and wrists and- Whoops. Are they supposed to not come off so easily? Maybe he shouldn't have meddled with the lock...

klarenfin_by_ninjacyndaquil-dadvdof.png

"U-um, help? Who's got the keys?"

Rosalvya shook her head at the conversation with the old man, letting out a weary sigh. She came over to Meredith and placed a hand on her shoulder as she passed by.

"Let her believe what she will. In times like these, people need some sort of foundation to hold on to. For some, it may be the Goddess, and others, it may be us. I don't know what happened to Hoshiko to make her as determined as she is, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. After all, there are few people like her with a sense of righteousness that are left in this world," said Rosalvya. Her voice held a weary tone to it, as if she had fought enough battles already. "I don't disagree with anything you've said, but please keep in mind that some of us are still children, much like myself. If there wasn't a sliver of hope left, many of us would have been left broken and dead on the streets. I know none of us should think we are heroes. Just as you've said earlier, every soldier is somebody's son or daughter. As soon as a war begins, both sides are wrong. I don't know how many hopes and dreams I've had to trample over to get this far."

She continued moving to the exit of the jailhouse, not wanting to participate in such grim talk for much longer. "As to where I hail from, it's a town in Dragao that no longer exists on any maps," she said, with a bitter tone. She toyed with the chain of keys around her finger, before tossing it in front of Klaren, just a little short of his reach. It wasn't like her to get so sentimental, but the old man's talk had struck a chord within herself.

Luka looked at the keys, lying in front of the shackled Monk. Letting out a sigh, he picked up the keys, before walking to the Klaren's side. "Here, I'll get them off of you." Be glad I don't just leave you here after you grated my ears with that metal scratching. Luka grabbed Klaren's chains, unlocking the chains with the keys. "There you go, free at last." Now can you not get yourself chained to a wall again?

Leaving the jail cell, Luka approached Meredith, a small smile on his face as he spoke. "Thanks for wanting to protect me earlier. Hopefully I can help you next time." Luka walked away, following Rosalvya out the jailhouse. Quicker we get out of here, the quicker I can rest for a bit.

Edited by InnocentBoy

Klaren watched helplessly as the keys fell to the ground. He tried to reach them by crawling over to them, but he couldn't from the chains. He tried to use his spell tome as a means of extending his reach, but it still wasn't enough. And even when he did somehow manage to reach them with it, all he could do was smash the tome into them. The keys clinged and clanged against the floor as Klaren sighed and let his head drop.

And in that moment, help seemed to arrive, in the form of the young pyre-haired dancer. Klaren raised his head like a puppy and smiled the same happy smile. "Thanks... Lou, was it~? May the Goddess be with you~" He stood up and immediately pulled out the notebook, scribbling something in it again before hopping over to the others.

"I'm from Dragao too." Klaren shared joyfully then turned to Meredith, pushing herself closer to her face, smelling it. He ran a finger across the framing of the armor around her shoulder before speaking up.

"Everything comes from the Goddess. She gives us strenght and determination to move forward, but we must make good use of these gifts or they shall go to waste~" He seemed to smile naively as if Meredith was definitely going to accept what he was preaching and also didn't seem to be aware of the fact he was probably invading her personal space. She looked rather strong... Wonder what she could do to him if she tried~ Klaren pulled back suddenly with a smile. "We had this big library there. And lots of charts. I'm sure at least one of the maps had to have shown your village. And that swordsgirl's town. What's its name, maybe I can remember~"

jN80Jl6.png

"If everything does come from the goddess, I'm sure you'd not mind me running a spear through your brain then. It'd be from the goddess after all." Meredith said, a smile dancing across her lips. She wasn't bothered by the man truly, but he would learn that there was boundaries you didn't cross. She was still holding her spear as well so... She really wasn't sure why he decided it be a good time to do what he did. "Sadly for you, you'd be dead in an instant, no time to feel that pain you so dearly crave. You see the issue with believing everything comes from the goddess. Everything cannot. The Goddess, is probably the justification for this war to begin with. For both sides. No goddess would condone the slaughter of her children, and if she did, she'd not be a goddess worth believing in. Saying everything comes from the goddess, is simply a justification, One that I do not believe right the wrongs and atrocities one commits. " She walked off, nary another word. She had quite enough of the loons for today. Not sure why this force had so many apparently.

At least some of them seemed reasonable enough. Some, the main operative word. She wasn't exactly sure how to take this unit. Full of those who were barely older than then children they had saved... She thought back to the wrods Rosa had said. "Some of them were still children." sadly, it was untrue. Once your stepped on that battlefield, you stopped being one. Your innocence washed away the moment fighting started. They were children no more.

• Developers

Terrin rolled his eyes noticeably as all the goddess talk was being flung about. He simply sighed before speaking up. "I'm a noble from Caelum. Lovely mother, you might've heard of her. Her husbands didn't really like me because apparently I​ can be a bit prickly when the topic of the Goddess comes up in conversation." He remarked, before shooting a bit of a smirk at Hoshiko. "But whatever. I'm here now, I want to help people, and that's a fact that binds us all together. Even the weird ones." He simply shrugged, leaning back against the nearest wall of the prison, pulling out his tome and studying it further. He gave a brief glance over at Meredith, she had seemed like one of his more interesting allies, but now also very much did not seem like a time she wanted company or to deal with further pleasantries, so he decided against his previous plan of following after her.

"Caelum eh? That brings back memories" Ecquis muses while recalling the time he spent at Caelum. It was probably one of the nicer places he had been to, all things considering,

"I myself am from Drakewall, a town near the mountain border of Dragao and Yukihana. That being said, more recently I had a slightly more permanent residence in Caelum."

Ecquis didn't feel much like discussing his hometown as much, but he felt that his introduction would suffice...for now.

Looking back to Meredith, he decides not to go after her. She has her own reasons for acting, and it isn't his place to try and find out. Not now anyways. Her opinions towards the Goddess is likely related to her past. Something that probably has to deal with the Dragao army in some way. However, now was not the time for that.

While lost in though, Mira apparently moved him slightly closer to Rosalvya. She was one of the few people he hadn't talked to, though he wasn't sure whether she would be the person who wouldn't mind a friendly chat. "Not like that's stopped me before," he states before trying to talk to the lady.

"So then, Rosalvya was it? Anything else you want us to know about you?"

"I- I'd very much like to keep my brain, hehe..." Yowch, that commentary kind of stung, and not in a good way. More like in the annoying arrow that sticks into your shoulder and you can't get it out to feel the softness of the blood quitely trickling from your open wound in a sensationally red waterfall kind of way. Klaren retracted his hands and put them on top of his head, trying his best to politely smile at Meredith. She began something about stuff not all coming from the Goddess, but he didn't seem to be listening to her at all, as his attention was immediately drawn to the spear she held in her hand. He scribbled something again in his notebook, mumbling to himsels beneath his breath. When he raised his head again to ask Meredith a question about her lance, she was gone.

"Aww. Miss Merryberry..." Klaren let his shoulders slump in disappointment. "Too bad... She didn't even wanna tell me about her town... Or her lance..."

Rosalvya's expression softened. She was glad that there were still other members of their group that weren't as jaded by the efforts of the war. Though, how long that would last, would be up to them.

"Nothing in particular," said Rosalvya. "Other than practicing the sword, I tend to knit in my spare time. A little activity to take the mind off the constant battles."

She didn't feel like discussing her life story at this point in time, so she nonchalantly changed the subject. "So how did you befriend your wyvern? The ones I've encountered have only threatened to bite off my head."

"Mira and I grew up together. Or rather, I grew up alongside Mira and the other wyverns I have around. My parents were wyvern handlers, so I was around the wyverns for my entire life. Mira and a few others just grew to like me," he responded, petting Mira in the process. Mira gave a pleased chirp in response.

"Also...they are some of the only family I have right now. They were the ones who were with me when I took my travels around the continent," he added in a noticeably lower tone. Remembering that point in time wasn't particularly pleasant. He had his wyverns as company and a few friends he met from his travels, but still...

Walking away from the rest of the group, Luka went ahead for a stroll in the small woods. All the enemy units had been taken care of, sans the Priest who couldn't even fight, so it was safe to have a stroll through the place. Ah, the calm colors of the forest. So peaceful... Looking to his surroundings, Luka came across a color unlike the green of the forest's foliage. Last I checked, pink wasn't exactly a color you see often in forests.

Walking closer, Luka realized it was one of his allies, sitting alone in a small clearing in the woods. Oh right, her. That's... Archer girl. Darn it, what was her name? Hoshiko was silent, a surprise considering her lack of an indoor voice. Her eyes were closed, as if sleeping. I doubt she's sleeping in the middle of a forest. Then again, this girl is probably crazy enough to. His steps quiet, Luka assumed that the young Archer in front of him didn't hear him get closer. Without regard for what she was doing, Luka spoke without bothering to get her attention otherwise. "What the heck are you doing, exactly?"

Hoshiko jumped up in startlement, whipping out a hunting knife with alarming speed and . . . did she just do a flip? She dropped into a combat stance before realizing that it was just that dancer from before.

ZL7mt8W.png"Hey, what do you think YOU'RE doing?!? Interrupting a hero during such important matters. . ." She put the knife back from where she had retrieved it, briefly checking her scarf to see if she had caught it with her hasty draw. "I was praying, by the way, not that the people around here seem to appreciate it." A definitely sour note entered her relatively high voice with this; the archer was clearly irritated by the previous conversation.

Upon seeing the steel of the girl's knife, Luka jumped backwards in fear, falling to the ground. A knife, even one that small, would leave some notable damage, especially with Luka's lack of any notable armor. Gosh flipping dang it, someone get this maniac away from me! The fear in Luka's eyes began to fade, once he realized Hoshiko recognized him as an ally.

"Darn it, did you really need to pull a knife on me?!" Luka gave a sigh, getting up to stand on his feet. Stupid Archer girl.

Luka didn't bother to answer Hoshiko's question. He didn't believe she even wanted an answer. "Sorry to interrupt your praying." Luka had an irritated tone to his voice, his smile away as he spoke to the Archer. "Maybe do it in the comfort of your own home, instead of a random forest near a jail house." Luka's inner thoughts came out, his sarcasm coming out as speech. "What are you so miffed about, anyway?" Luka was annoyed himself, after nearly getting stabbed by the girl.

Hoshiko gave the dancer a flat look."In the wilds, you're either quick or dead. I happen to be the former." There was more than a hint of a smug grin on her face at that, though it quickly faded. "And I can't exactly trek hundreds of miles to my village to speak with the Goddess privately every time I need to do so." She sighed slightly herself, then shook her head. "Why do you care about what I'm upset about, anyway? Heroes work alone, we don't need people worrying about every little thing that gets on our nerves." As if to punctuate her point, she settled back down onto the ground, though she didn't close her eyes again quite yet.

"'Quick or dead', huh? I can probably run faster than you if I tried." Without a care for the Archer, Luka sat himself down with his back to a tree, leaving a short distance between him and Hoshiko. Probably not a good idea to try to sneak up on an armed person in a secluded area, though. Luka's eyes darted to Hoshiko's bow, looking as if it had been maintained recently. Man, that thing would probably hurt.

Despite how painful an arrow would feel, Luka continued talking to the Archer, taking a more rough tone. "And if heroes are so good at working alone, why the heck was I there, motivating the rest of our allies around here?" Luka shot an arrogant smirk in Hoshiko's direction. "I mean, if you're such a good hero, I bet you could've taken down those soldiers all by yourself." Luka's voice took on a sarcastic tone as he finished speaking. "Easy enough for you, right?"

Edited by InnocentBoy

"Are you just going to sit there and keep nettling me? My connection to the Goddess isn't a joke." She glared at Luka, though the fact that she had bright pink twintails may have made this somewhat less intimidating than it might have been. "What's your problem, anyway? I didn't do anything to you." Hoshiko leaned forward and pulled the bow close to her once more, ensuring it was nearby if someone truly villainous instead of simply unfaithful or irritating were to approach.

"My problem is..." Luka's speech began to slow down, realizing he really did have no reason. My gosh, I must have gotten a bit too angry. As refreshing as letting out his anger was, Luka realized his mistake as he looked at Hoshiko's glare. "Darn it." I was hoping these attitude issues were gone.

Luka let out a sigh before he continued speaking to the Archer. "Look, I'm sorry for blowing up at you." Luka looked away, not looking the girl in the eye. "I tend to let out some 'inner thoughts' when I get annoyed or angry." Like when an ally pulls out a knife on me. Luka stood up, facing back towards the jailhouse. "I'll be on my way, if I'm bothering you."

Edited by InnocentBoy