[INACTIVE - SEE UPDATE] Pokemon Guardians

• Global Mods

Looks pretty cool, definitely one to keep an eye on. I'm playing the "Look at a bunch of threads that have been bumped because Zumi is posting on everything" game currently XD.

This sounds interesting! I will definitely give a try when it comes out. I would also like to give each of you a virtual hug for naming your evil team just "Axis" and not "Team Axis". *long, lingering hug*

Good luck

Hey guys, the stream is gonna start at 6pm CST/7pm EST. Some of us will be mapping and some of us will be talking and interacting with chat. Hope to see you there!

EDIT: I don't know timezones.

• 2 months later...

so You're going have have over 700 mega design and also giving legendary megas?

Mega Evolutions are being given to fully-evolved Pokemon total, meaning Raichu will get a Mega but Pikachu will not. There are about 390 fully-evolved Pokemon, including legendaries, 50 of these are already done in canon games, so we'll be making the other ~340... Plus whatever Sun&Moon brings to the table.

• Global Mods

Well this seems interesting; will gym's be there, or do you have your own spin on that sort of thing?

Tempest's answer to this from earlier in the thread:

"Nope. There are no gyms... but there will be the "boss battle" type stuff of a gym, don't you worry!"

Trust me, talking protagonists is not a good idea. You'll end up putting words into player's mouths that they themselves might not agree with. And quite possibly, that could ruin the immersion for some people. Like in that one game where my character showed a lot of trust and respect toward a character that I completely hated and wanted to kill with fire. That killed the entire game for me. Never bothered completing it.

If you're really going to go down that route, though, I'd recommend giving the player some choice in the conversation. I know that you said that you didn't want to write out a whole bunch of dialogue trees, but you should at least consider having small instances where the player is able to choose a response more fitting. Like, if someone is talking about science, a player who's into that kind of stuff could say "Hey, that's cool!" and the guy talking would reply "I know. Isn't it incredible? whereas a player who really couldn't care less about science could go with "Yawn. Boring." and the guy talking would reply "Yeah, well, so are you." or something similar. You wouldn't have to deviate the plot at all. It would simply add a little more depth and interaction into the world, rather than it just being a static region where everything happens the same every time you play it.

Now, I'm not trying to tell you guys how to make your game - I'm just suggesting something that might make it a bit more interesting.

Edited by SpartaLazor

Trust me, talking protagonists is not a good idea. You'll end up putting words into player's mouths that they themselves might not agree with. And quite possibly, that could ruin the immersion for some people. Like in that one game where my character showed a lot of trust and respect toward a character that I completely hated and wanted to kill with fire. That killed the entire game for me. Never bothered completing it.

If you're really going to go down that route, though, I'd recommend giving the player some choice in the conversation. I know that you said that you didn't want to write out a whole bunch of dialogue trees, but you should at least consider having small instances where the player is able to choose a response more fitting. Like, if someone is talking about science, a player who's into that kind of stuff could say "Hey, that's cool!" and the guy talking would reply "I know. Isn't it incredible? whereas a player who really couldn't care less about science could go with "Yawn. Boring." and the guy talking would reply "Yeah, well, so are you." or something similar. You wouldn't have to deviate the plot at all. It would simply add a little more depth and interaction into the world, rather than it just being a static region where everything happens the same every time you play it.

Now, I'm not trying to tell you guys how to make your game - I'm just suggesting something that might make it a bit more interesting.

We've discussed this at length amongst the dev team. There have been several games that have pulled off a talking protagonist successfully (see Legends of the Arena), and it allows us to tell a better narrative. On top of that, while not all are RPGs, a lot games you play now-a-days have a talking protagonist with a defined backstory.

As for dialogue trees, while it would be nice, is far too much work to implement: from the code necessary to make it work, to the branching story paths it would create, it ends up being too much to handle from a dev standpoint.

We do have some ways of making the region dynamic however... I'll hopefully be highlighting those soon.

• 4 weeks later...

So I have some big news that some you guys might be sad to hear.

The game in it's current form is dead. No, it does not mean we ran into development snags. No, it does not mean a game is no longer being developed. No, it does not mean all is lost.

Instead we are merging our game with another game, and the developers behind it have some immense talent. Our story may not exist purely in this new game, but we'll do our best to merge the two as best we can including our characters, as much of the story as feasible, and music... and of course, it will still have most of the great features like the new AI system as well as some new stuff that has yet to be revealed.

I'm not quite ready to reveal who we are working with, or what the final project will be, but rest assured it will be even greater than what we started here. So be on the look out for a new topic about this soon. 

Thanks for following the game so far... I'm excited to show off our next development.