As a kid, I loved the original series and I spent a lot of time and pocket money collecting rare cards. But with the Pharaos return to the Netherworld, it just feels as if Yugioh has died as well. I guess thats why so many people lost interest in it. All of those follow up series like GX, 5Ds, and whatever they are called basically appear like cheap knock-offs of the original. I wish they would have continued the original series a little longer, instead of permanently throwing out new series to keep the franchise alive. But thats just my opinion.

When it comes to underrated decks: I personally think that a deck based upon the "Cyberdark-Cards" can be quite powerful, despite the fact, that I dislike GX as a series.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Josef, I agree with you that GX, 5D and ZeXal were not very good compared to the original series. But the new Arc-V series is just as enjoyable if not more than the original series. A new focus on interesting characters, interesting duel scenarios combined with using all summoning types and also deconstructing the typical shounen tropes implemented by the original Yugioh series combined with a dark and sinister plot with actually threatening villains and fun and engaging characters has made this new series a joy to watch. I recommend you actually try to watch it.

Josef, I agree with you that GX, 5D and ZeXal were not very good compared to the original series. But the new Arc-V series is just as enjoyable if not more than the original series. A new focus on interesting characters, interesting duel scenarios combined with using all summoning types and also deconstructing the typical shounen tropes implemented by the original Yugioh series combined with a dark and sinister plot with actually threatening villains and fun and engaging characters has made this new series a joy to watch. I recommend you actually try to watch it.

Alright, I will. I hope that you are right and that this new series is capable of breathing life back into the franchise the way it originally was. Though I doubt that anything will ever come close to the nostalgia of the original.

'Spoiler' Given the fact that the original series also put an end to the shadow games by destroying Zorc and the shadow realm, as well as the Millennium items, the newer series just don't really seem like Yugioh to me anymore, as the ultimate Villain and incarnation of evil was already defeated.

As are the villains for Arc V

Yeah, many of the actions by the villains of Arc-V had me raising my eyebrow due to how surprising and twisted their actions are, we've gone through mind control, slavery, physical and psychological torture, and more deaths than I can count... Kinda takes you aback when considering how light hearted every Yugioh show before it was.

I now watched a couple of episodes of Yugioh Arc-V. I have to admit, that its a better series than GX and 5Ds. Its actually quite fun, however, I still like the original series better. Compared to the original, Arc-V focuses more on humor and that just makes it seem a bit too childish for my taste. At least from what I've seen so far. And I still don't think that anyone can top Zorc/Yami Bakura as a villain within the franchise. Though I will continue watching Arc-V. It might prove me wrong and I hope it does.

I know this is kinda cliché to to say this, but give it a few more episodes, as it really starts picking up between episode 8-13. And then gets really amazing during the show's second arc. And frankly, the original Yugioh series didn't have a particularly good first season either, and only started getting good during the Dueling Tournament and Domino City arcs.

I have a few questions about the arc V before I start watching, Zexal ruined my trust in the anime :

-Does the show take itself serious? I mean whenever something dramatic or cool happened they ruined it with some out of place humor. Like when Annah was mysterious character with a hovercraft she suddenly bonked her head against something completely breaking the tension or like when the second barian goes to challenge Yuma, he fell in love at first glance with Tori and ruined his character. It's like the moment it went a bit too serious they stopped for some reason. I do not mind humor but t the right place like lillybot.

-Are there many cases of hey you're an evil villain now, one arc later, hey you're a good guy now moments? I mean Zexal has had 1 true villain, the rest all redeemed themselves. Not that I mind it in moderation but Zexal took it way too far.

-Is it full of bulshit mechanics like zexal morph, shining draw, chaos draw, numbers,...?

-Is there consistent character growth? Yuma litterally no character growth.

-Is there dueling variety? I mean I started to play the game again with a friend and I know the kind of cards the characters uses. They seem diverse and fun ( not like 5d or zexal which was basically the new mechnic exclusively) so I don't worry about that in the show. But do those characters get enough time/duels? GX nailed it in that regards.

can we talk about how crazy lawn mowing next door is and how it is with skull servants people its crazy

I know that card , it is a card that equals your deck to the opponents by milling right? I think it is an interesting idea. It is a bit more luck based since you have to expand your deck to 60 in order for it to work and is limitted to specific cards/archtypes which I don't mind. It does however generate advantage quickly in return.It allows for some new strategies which I don't mind. If it is OP, it can at best be semi-limitted without killing the decks due to the 60 card decks. I'm more worried about the real life application because you have to count your deck. Very tedious if you ask me plus it opens cheating opportunities. Now that I think of it maybe I can make a vennominaga deck with this card.
Edited by FairFamily

I WOULD LIKE TO EXPAND UPON THE ANIME'S REAL QUICK

And by real quick you have no idea how long I could write about this

I now watched a couple of episodes of Yugioh Arc-V. I have to admit, that its a better series than GX and 5Ds. Its actually quite fun, however, I still like the original series better. Compared to the original, Arc-V focuses more on humor and that just makes it seem a bit too childish for my taste. At least from what I've seen so far. And I still don't think that anyone can top Zorc/Yami Bakura as a villain within the franchise. Though I will continue watching Arc-V. It might prove me wrong and I hope it does.

Excuse me my good man and fellow arcanine lover if you are watching arc-v I'd recommend skipping a good 30 episodes because honestly all you should pay attention to is the first tournament which I guarantee will pique your interest after sora fights shun, speaking of shun watch episode 24 it is the only exception because it is my favourite episode it will show you just how epic the shows duels can be.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT THING TO NOTE

The anime in my opinion is a higher quality in the subbed version, the soundtrack the voice acting the lack of censorship etc.

The original series is amazing I love it a lot, I re-watched it recently and I almost cried at the end and was messed up for a few days afterward that is the sign of a good series, I did the same with 5Ds it ended almost perfectly but I just hate to say goodbye. GX was a travesty until the last two seasons on e of which was only aired in Japan, I've only watched the first half of zexal for a reason, from what I've seen of it it's just not good, at all, I'm all caught up on Arc-V and I love it so much it's really well made and some of the duels are inspiring, I've made quite a few decks just from watching the show for ideas, I also get to see all the new support in action for example the cyber angel archetype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sYxDWF74-E

Also there are cameos from other characters from the other series but they aren't the "canon" characters unfortunately but it's still pretty cool

So I'd recommend everything except GX and ZEXAL because they mostly suck in my opinion and also the Dubbed version is not as good in my opinion

Sigh, just watch Arc-V. Trust me, it's good. Interesting characters, great villains, a suspenseful mystery and fun duel scenarios has made the to something truly unique and special. And definitely worth watching.

And I wouldn't recommend skipping episode 14-26 like BMIC says, despite episodes 15-17, 19-20, 23-24, being worse than the other episode, they are still better than the filler episodes of 5D and Zexal and worth watching. Oh and the show starts getting good at Episode 7, so at the very least watch the first season before disregarding the anime.

Yeah, that's the problem people give up too easily, I decided to power through with Arc-V because I was up to zexal and ironically I gave up on that and watched it instead, I then went back to zexal after catching up on Arc-V and I couldn't stomach it past the first half I started Zexal II but after 2 episodes I just didn't have the motivation so it's on hold for now but I will come back to it just so I can say I did it

Yeah, that's the problem people give up too easily,

You're saying as if it's difficult to watch Arc-V when it's actually interesting and good from the get go. Zexal on the other hand Was complete garbage outside of a select few episodes, and then it turns.... Surprisingly not bad towards the last arc of the series... But I wouldn't subject anyone to watch 100 episodes of something, saying that it'll get decent eventually.

Sigh, just watch Arc-V. Trust me, it's good. Interesting characters, great villains, a suspenseful mystery and fun duel scenarios has made the to something truly unique and special. And definitely worth watching.

And I wouldn't recommend skipping episode 14-26 like BMIC says, despite episodes 15-17, 19-20, 23-24, being worse than the other episode, they are still better than the filler episodes of 5D and Zexal and worth watching. Oh and the show starts getting good at Episode 7, so at the very least watch the first season before disregarding the anime.

Ok, I will take my time and watch the complete first season before I make up my mind. Like I said, I loved Yugioh as a kid (still have all the cards, just couldn't bring myself to part with them) and I would like nothing more than to see it being "Reborn." ;)

But even if I end up liking the new series, the original will always have a special place in my heart.

You're saying as if it's difficult to watch Arc-V when it's actually interesting and good from the get go. Zexal on the other hand Was complete garbage outside of a select few episodes, and then it turns.... Surprisingly not bad towards the last arc of the series... But I wouldn't subject anyone to watch 100 episodes of something, saying that it'll get decent eventually.

Really the end of zexal was extremely bad in my opinion.

The first few episodes are very whatever it doesn't even seem like yuya knows what he's doing, much like yuma who is the single most incompetent protaganist I've ever seen, but yuya actually gets good which I liked. The only thing is I accidentally skipped the episode that introduces yuto so I might have missed something good there I don't know

i've experienced the pure cancer that was triple treatoad double dupe frog set 3 field, i'm dead inside to most of the other newer archetypes. But yeah ABC's looking REALLY strong, like it's gonna be a repeat of monarchs that a precon-deck is gonna be top tier (though a lot less cheap) What i AM super concerned about is Lawnmowing Next Door, looks like some bulllllllllll...crap