Well, in yugioh a lot of cards are not luck based. So the majortiy of luck comes from the order of your deck. So inorder to limit the luck we have consistensy cards: cards that search, draw, send to the graveyard, special summon from the deck,... . However consistensy comes with a downside: linearity. Because you have so many cards that specifically add other cards, the different amount of cards that change the game state lowers and the possible plays are lowered as well. This means that the amount of game states you can deal with in a deck lowers. So if a deck can consistensely push out a game state another deck can't deal with then the outcome is as good as decided based on the matchup. So if the deck can't deal with that game state then they need to add cards to deal with that game state. So what does it remove? Cards that deal with other game states, kinda useless. Consistensy cards? Well then you are going to let matchups more decided with luck. So in order to deal with more matchups a player has to rely more on luck. That's why the most consitent decks tend to not being able to deal with a lot of game states and the most versitale decks tend to be a lot more inconstent/luck based. That's why I say the two are incompatible, you either can't deal with a lot of situations or you rely on luck to win your games.

That's also why a lot of games keep some random gamechangers in their game like crits or random effects, to still give some exitement when a "hopeless situation" occurs. They can then hope on that random effect. Sucks when it costs you games, but it will aso win you games and will keep even some situations a lot more exiting. 

For stalling. First you have strange definition, most people associate stalling with effects that renders the opposing plays useless while slowly going for your own wincon.  Second well honestly I would not consider that a problematic strategy, you are merely testing your opponents concentration. That's why I actually don't surrender unless I know that they are in a situation they plausably can't misplay in. With the banned card you mean:http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Fiber_Jar? Well outside being an absolutely boring card that hinders tournaments, this card is also highly abusable. Do remember that it does not say banished and it gives the player a turn one with no battle phase restriction. 

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, I mean that card. And the problem is that sometimes, people keeps drawing the games longer and longer even when it's absolutely clear they will loose just for the sake of boring the opponent and try if they will eventually have to go out and ragequit, or if the game is timed, try to wait to see if they can get their opponent to get distracted and win by a timeout even when they can clearly finish you off in a few turns, something that actually was common in chess until it was outlawed. THAT is what I mean by stalling.

This is so not going to happen, it changes so much things. The choas of the new life point changes will be massive, new banlists, some cards become stronger, some cards become weaker, some decks become stronger, some decks become weaker,... . The pendulum rule is like it's written by a player who knows nothing of the game but has heard that pendulum was broken (which it isn't). No understanding of the game whatsoever. Also how is konami ever going to sell pendulum evolution in the TCG with those rules? A battle damage, pendulum based deck without non pendulum reliable turn one plays. Also OCG is plagued by zoodiacs not pendulum so the timing of this change is incredible off. I don't get how anybody can believe it.

This is just the icing on the cake.

Edited by FairFamily

yeah its pretty dumb on a another topic it seems yugioh seems to be picking up again in some ways with both duel links and legacy I'm seeing content creators like shadypenguinn creating yugioh videos and this makes me really happy

• 3 weeks later...

Konami forcing you to buy link monsters by nerfing extra deck summons RIP so many decks. It also forces putting the cards in the already tight extra deck. Well the mechanic sounds convoluted,  seneth switche could be cool.

So for pendulum summoning, they cost spell and trap zones, meh, it could be worse. It's not that pendulum decks could run many spells an traps anyway.  Also since techinically pendulum monsters are main deck monsters (no matter their location) I think pendulum summon from the extra deck can still be done without a link monster.

Edited by FairFamily

Welp looks I was wrong pendulum is as of this moment dead. And If you think summoning from the hand will save then I will inform you that almost every pendulum deck was based around getting your pedulum cards in the extra deck as a way of advantage. Well any chance of me buying the pendulum magicians at some point have gone down the drain.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well with duel links taking over and the new anime being moved to another thread, it's not hard for this to decline. Spiral phantom huh, yeah I get the appeal but it's not my style. I'm trying to get trickstars , which are released in the ocg for links, to work in the current rules on ygopro with varying amounts of success. I'm experimenting with cyber dragons.

9 hours ago, BlueMoonIceCream said:

Trickstar's though! I've splashed them into one of my decks and it became so much better it's ridiculous, I love that archetype, it gives me a lot more options to work with. When are we getting them? ;~;

Normally 4 of august if I recall.

I do love how generic these effects are. I mean so much options. Right now my favorite seems to revolve around a synchro foccused varaint.

Edited by FairFamily

It is a decent game and proably will be the closest what yu gi oh will ever be to the anime (especially since the anime takes over the duel links rules with the speed duels). It helps pander nostalgia and gives use to cards that would never be viable into todays format. I hope it becomes a passage way to trditional yugioh but that might be hoping too much.

It's also neat because there are a lot of cards I didn't know existed and I'm just like "Whhhhhhhat is this? o-o"

Also literally you can search trickstars so easy it's not even funny, terraform lightstage, lightstage searches candina, candina searches GODDAMN EVERYTHING including reincarnation which are the only trickstars I've touched at the moment because I'm the scum of the earth who plays a banishment deck that thrives off of everything involved in that, using candina gives me a use for an extra deck, I can go into rank 4's so easily with her, shame about norden though..

Well for what you want the 3 trickstars card you use are fine. The other monster are good/fantastic as well. Candina not only searches everything if you choose to add a monster it is very likely you can even play that monster during that turn. Lycorissa lets you bounce your own trickstars to the hand (always usefull) and lily bell adds trickstars to the hand from your grave on top of that sweet summoning condition. 

But Norden's dead was justified. The card was busted .

Edited by FairFamily