Would you play a pokemon game with an established character?

lastdragon

No customization, just a premade character with a name and an extensive background story. Sarcastic, but committed. Does that sound fine, or do you prefer the traditional pokemon approach ie gender option and sometimes clothing options? Post your opinion whatever it may be.

Edited by lastdragon

Absolutely not. What I'm looking for in a Pokemon game is the ability to create a character or play as myself... Premade characters are fine, but only when aspects of them can be altered or inferred by the player. Premade personalities kill all my interest, tbqh.

Personally I like my looks to be as personal as possible but I have no big problems with it if it is not available. What I however do dislike fervently is having choice but then have some gameplay consequences tied to it.

For the names I don't care too much about it as long as it isn't a stupid name. Also chosen names in some games are litteraly useless. I mean if if you have a name that it isn't used (looking at you dragon Age 1 & 2), you might as well give no choice.

The backstory on the otherhand is a bit more nuanced. First backstory needs to matter. It can be a lot or it can be a ittle, if it is a little you need it to make noticable. A clear example of a small backstory but that was still noticable was in dragon age 1. Unlike the sequel where you backstory basically determined the entire plot, this backstory does matter very little. I mean you still went to help the different races to rally your army, set someone on the throne and defeat the archdemon. What they did do was create little deviations in the story telling in those plots most of the time. For instance Jowain didn't matter in my warrior run unlike in my mage run beecause of the backstory the reverse was then true for Howe. So through small lines of dialogue you could make the storymline matters. So in short the backstory needs to make me experience the game differently compared to a generic character. Secondly to me the backstory must be introduced early, so that when I'm halfway I don't get surprised when my best buddy from the past suddenly shows up. It doesn't have to be much but I need to know the elements of my backstory as soon as possible, details may come later.

• Developers

It really depends on the game. Predefined characters can definitely work in fan games just as well as personal characters can. Legends of the Arena is one fangame that pulls off the personal character quite well.

While I'm fine with both options for rpgs I'd prefer the second one for Pokemon in particular. Because one- I'm used to it. Two, It's fun making up personalities and traits for the characters you play as. You can think up of the things the characters say and insert it into the game as you wish.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but i'm not all that fond of it either. Mostly because Pokemon has been a game where it's fully customize able since the beginning. The narrative is boils down to "kid goes on adventure to complete the Pokedex but is occasionally stopped by evil team." Having a set protagonist is interesting in the story telling portion, but it would be hard for players to project themselves onto the main character. It would also ruin the fun in catching Pokemon and basically anything since you and the set protagonist will probably have different ideas of what is fun.The protagonists are also 10 years old (or so Nintendo claims), so it would be hard for them to have a set personality at that point.

I just rambled but yeah...

While I'm fine with both options for rpgs I'd prefer the second one for Pokemon in particular. Because one- I'm used to it. Two, It's fun making up personalities and traits for the characters you play as. You can think up of the things the characters say and insert it into the game as you wish.

Well, most of the time your character has predefined traits anyway, or predefined relationships with certain characters. Take Rejuvenation for example, sure there is variety in what you can play as (4 fully developed models with sprites, battleback etc.) but the game straight up forces you to be the spoiled rich kid of a famous trainer with a very well established personality and traits.

Pokemon Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness sorta did it that way with the premade character idea. Yes, you can name the main characters whatever you want, raise the teams you want out of the games' limited options, and interpret what their missions are, but you still have pretty badass characters with some background and default names (in Colosseum anyway. XD had neither an interesting background for the player or a badass player in my opinion). And that was pretty darn cool. *remembers Pokemon Trozei* If I remember correctly, that game did it too, but I haven't played it and don't know as much about it as I do with Pokemon Colosseum/XD.

All in all, if the background makes sense within the context of the universe and is well written, then I'd be okay with it. If not, then just give the blank slate that is the player character and let me customize him/her/them/etc. the way I want to.

Edited by YoshiofRedemption

Well, most of the time your character has predefined traits anyway, or predefined relationships with certain characters. Take Rejuvenation for example, sure there is variety in what you can play as (4 fully developed models with sprites, battleback etc.) but the game straight up forces you to be the spoiled rich kid of a famous trainer with a very well established personality and traits.

Wouldn't you also be forced into a specific background with lack of customization?

Personally, I prefer the customization just to feel more attached to my character, like they are something unique to me.

A predefined character is almost always better, especially in Pokemon games, where the "customization" is literally inconsequential. The supposedly biggest point of Pokemon, the Pokemon itself, are secondary in pretty much any fan- or canon game and your choices barely or don't matter at all. Honestly? I'd much rather have a set team of Pokemon who actually make sense in the context of the story and play a character that actively affects the story with them. Silent self insert protagonists don't create immersion, they break it in the worst way possible. And immersion is key to enjoyment in games I want to play.

Uhm, while you do have to do certain actions, how you interpretate those actions and deal with the choices at hand creates your own character. You do have some predefined traits but that's because you still have to write a story. However the room of freedom is still larger then you think: for instance I didn't experience Rejuvenation as you did considering I didn't consider my character the spoiled rich kid.

This kind of question has been thrown around so much and it all boils down to the setting of the game. I feel like the whole silent protagonist thing takes away from the plot in which Pokemon never focused. It's really just a ghost to make you feel like you are a part of the plot but matter very little to it in the long run. The ragdoll character is the one I'm really against as they don't have anything or really do anything. It's the safest option though so I won't ever take anything against anyone who uses it. Sometimes I wish they'd have a couple lines or just some out of character moments just for some amusement (Golden Sun 2 did this where Felix asked "Why?")

Having a character with a bit of story to them is actually interesting. I highly recommend it for silent protagonist even if it's merely where are they from or their family life. I feel Fire Emblem did it right with Awakening despite how bad of a plot it may be. I always felt characters that talked are far more interesting than the whole silent protagonist in RPGs. It's really all about that empty husk though. It really only works when story does not matter.

My thoughts on this are really unclear, but one thing I do want to keep emphasizing is that the Player Character should be defined and tide in quite well into the plot. They need to express themselves as well as do actions just to make them a bit more lively. That alone is more important than any pre-defined backstory or ability to speak. Those two things should be used for the point I just made to better implement it. Of course in the end it's just all based on what the game is about and its focus.

I don't really mind either way.

However when I really hate the protagonist's personality or find their dialogue annoying, I won't want to play as them and will lose interest in the game. So I think having a neutral one is safer, but if you can write a good protectionist, I don't have a problem with it, but I don't like being forced to play as someone I can't stand.

• Global Mods

Basically what mde said. I'd play if I actually liked the character. If they have a personality I don't like or if they did or said something that I wouldn't do (like reading Titania's diary; I'm glad that's being changed in E16) that would turn me off.

Having an established backstory is almost always awesome, but an established personality depends on whether I like the personality or not.

It does indeed seem interesting. I sort of want more games with an already established character, because it could make a story way more interesting than the usual, boring silent protagonist.

Yeah definitely in favor a pre-made character, as long as it's done well. It's always kind of bugged me that the main characters in Pokemon games say absolutely NOTHING. I really enjoyed Legends of the Arena (LOTA) for the dialogue and quips and whatnot, it was a refreshing change from being a mute who can only occasionally say yes or no. As far as an extensive backstory goes, just don't dump the whole thing on me at once... that can be a bit much to care about. I think the gradual exposition is also something that LOTA does well.

That being said a little customization (clothing and other things like that) can help someone feel attached to their character and their gaming experience.

So many split opinions on this. I honestly don't know what to make of it.

I am going to tell you a story of why you feel like this: writing is hard. The end. No seriously, there's no defined yes or no for any element used in a video game when it comes to story. Look at the ratio of games that use and don't use silent protagonists and you'll see why the silent protagonist hasn't died. Self insertion is still a very important part to game making. When making a choice when you're 50-50 for Pokemon at least, you always want to go with what people are used to or familiar with.

I probably would not mind playing as somebody who has a personality already, a story, a background. I mean, Symphonic Horizon is gonna be one such fangame, and it works plenty fine. I would probably prefer it if we still had a choice between a few pre-established characters, though. Despite all of it, I suppose in the end I still would rather have the choice to play as my own gender if I wanted to

It really depends on the game. Predefined characters can definitely work in fan games just as well as personal characters can. Legends of the Arena is one fangame that pulls off the personal character quite well.

Pretty much this. A predefined character comes with its own risks and rewards, but it pays off tremendously if the writing is amazing. Which Legends of the Arena has despite its very simplistic plot. Presentation is everything, as always.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not both?

I.E a mix of the two or the choice of "Do you want to play as so and so" or the standard pokemon person you can customize.

A Mix being, You get to choose the looks, Gender, Name etc. But the story is pre-concieved and the player actually speaks.

IMO the silent protagonist is fun, but it gets old after a while.

If the background is done right, as with the story, and of course choices that help you define the character, It won't matter. .