People on the Showdown Main Server

mde2001

So, I play on the showdown main server a fair bit for some reason and most people are pleasant enough. Usually my interactions will consist of only a GG at the end of a battle. Sometimes people talk a bit more but most of them are pretty nice.

Then you get the 10% or so of people who are complete jerks. For example, just before writing this I was doing an OU no mega battle against one of the loveliest people I have ever met.

When he got burned by flame body he asked me to die of cancer. Whenever something bad happened to him he abused me with a ton of F words. When my icy wind missed he said I sucked and should go kill myself and I won't even go into what happened after I beat him with 3 pokemon left.

This isn't exactly unusual behavior on the main server.

So I'm half tempted to stop using it. These idiots ruin it for all of us.

So do you guys have similar problems with the server. If so how do you deal with them.

P.S Not sure if this belongs in trainers journal, wasteland or pokemon fan club. Apologies if this is the wrong place.

Whoa whoa whoa LOL whoa.

This sounds similar to a guy I played against too. It was on randoms though, and through some rather amusing stroke of luck KO'd his mega diancie with Shedinja. Guy FLIPPED and started telling me to get cancer over and over and using Phione tried to use scald on Lapras who drank it which caused him to quit. I actually saved the replay, let me see if I can find it.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-283551982

It's a short battle, but maybe it's the same guy. Or maybe people who wish cancer on others are just idiots in general lol.

Been there and done that. Usually the same thoughts occur inside le old head, but I'm not so salty and inclined to say it to a person directly, EVER. That's just bad sportsmanship, and it definitely takes the fun out of Pokemon

If I could just say one thing collectively to those people:

Whatever happens to sportsmanship these days~I am sorry you have to deal with those nasty players, so far i havent met one, i dont know what i would do under this circumstance, i would probably end the match asap and get the hell out~

There are rules, but punishment only happens if the player causing trouble is reported (with evidence). I'm not sure how Showdown deals with this though since PO has tempbans/permbans, but I haven't seen similar things on Showdown (their mutes are also relatively small, so it's not too big a deal to get muted in the first place).

Anyway, a lot of this is simply just frustration from hax, plus internet anonymity making people feel like they can do this. These also tend to be people who are poorly skilled at the game, and generally will cuss out auth from getting punished from experience. Usually it's just an amusing "fuck you *forfeit*", but when people start spamming cancer and that you should die... that's an entirely other thing and they need to be punished :)

My favorite ones are those that do their very best to run the timer down as long as possible.

It's really a normal reaction for a person who has a competitive personality to be upset at RNG or a misplay, but saying things like that is just a sign of immaturity.

no one else find it funny when something outside your control causes someone to get that mad at you?

not saying im not guilty of it because i definitely am, but i still find it funny when i/others get mad

"So I'm half tempted to stop using it. These idiots ruin it for all of us."

Use ignore buttons

"So do you guys have similar problems with the server. If so how do you deal with them."

cuss them out, call them shit, then win hopefully, followed by more shitposting

Edited by Lil' Baby Rupe

Alpha Omega guys know more about this to help you. ^ Rupert has actually played since near beginning of gen so take this advice.

As a former competitive mons guys, just use ignore then if you're winning and they are talking shit you can rub it in and make them cry.

EZ :]

Honestly this doesn't surprise me as I run into assholes alot in PD and honestly I find it hillarious that I get abused for being the better battler let me give you an example:

The other week It was like half way through battle and the opponent only had special attackers left then i sent out Eviolite Chansey which had the moveset of T-wave, Softboiled, Seismic toss and Heal bell.

anyway eventually my opponent sent out Gengar and I thought oh crap I've lost I can't hit this thing but turns out it had life orb so as you can probably guess the person kept attacking my chansey and I stalled it out till it died then when the last Pokemon gets sent out.

The opponent starts to abuse me by saying things like fuck you you're a cunt and finally ends his angry rant by saying I'm not letting you win you don't deserve to win then he forfeits.

I was like lol you idiot I still win if you rage quit as I still get the points from someone who forfeits honestly it was really funny at the time and still is my mind I mean sure winning by stall can piss people off but why should I just be like Stalling is bad I must let opponent win never happening lol if you mess up and get trapped by stall it's your own fault.

I've been told some pretty bad disgusting things over the internet through Showdown and due to my middling experience with competitive 'mons, I get both sore losers and sore winners alike.

• Use the Reborn Server only, as Ame suggested. Rebornians tend not to be so wound up over battles and you can count on us to kick those that are in the teeth.
  • Ignore commands will virtually erase the problem, as Cow, Rupe, Tomas, and several others have probably suggested. This allows you to keep using SD to ladder.

There are most definitely ways around internet tough guys. Don't let them be the reason you stop enjoying competitive Pokemon.

I run into those kinds of guys sometimes as well and it's fun to watch them as they get frustrated, but those people are rarely pure assholes. They probably have anger managemnt problems (or something similiar) in fact i've also suffered my deal of trouble from anger management problems.

When i was little (under 10yrs old) i ragequited pretty often while playing online games and generally expressed my anger with swearwords. I even got permabanned because of those problems, i have (mostly) overcome these problems now [in extreme cases i bite my hand to contain myself (looking at it again i may need some psychological help lol)] my point is you shouldn't automatically say that they are just assholes, they may have problems.

You know, I've had some fun time with people pm-ing me after the match since I had used "ignore opponent". Sometimes they can be frustratingly offensive, but most times it's the usual minimum comments or the nice silence. If the occasional glhf or gg appears and I've pressed "ignore", if I watch the replay to check possible mistakes, I feel a little bad inside, since the other person was being nice, and I never answered.

Anyway, if you become good enough to ladder over the... let's say 1400s, you will find increasingly more well-mannered people, who are experienced enough not to get mad about possible hax or call your play "cheap" for any probably reason. Usually it's inexperience that frustrates them, since they come into the competitive scene bearing the mentality of the story mode.

Sometimes I win with hax on my side, other times the hax (usually parahax) just happens on the worst time possible, so the risk of defeat rises high enough to even lower my team's morale, but it's ok in the end. Even if you comment something to show your anger, it most likely won't be too offensive if you've encountered it multiple times from both sides. It's human nature to learn from mistakes and if those people take the game seriously, one day they'll become better and speak this way no more. You can pity the rest.

This is why I have a hard time doing anything competitive online. You can have hundreds of generally nice people, but that one salty player can really ruin it for you. Perhaps I'm just overly emotional, but I just can't get into something where people can freely say dark things. It does help when other, well mannered people are around, but it's just a shame it's an issue in the first place.

That, and I suck competitively, so I hate giving people like this the pleasure of winning.

• 2 weeks later...

There are rules, but punishment only happens if the player causing trouble is reported (with evidence). I'm not sure how Showdown deals with this though since PO has tempbans/permbans, but I haven't seen similar things on Showdown (their mutes are also relatively small, so it's not too big a deal to get muted in the first place).

Anyway, a lot of this is simply just frustration from hax, plus internet anonymity making people feel like they can do this. These also tend to be people who are poorly skilled at the game, and generally will cuss out auth from getting punished from experience. Usually it's just an amusing "fuck you *forfeit*", but when people start spamming cancer and that you should die... that's an entirely other thing and they need to be punished :)

I have nothing relevant to add relevant to this thread other than that I refuse to mute people- saltiness amuses me, and sometimes you meet really nice people; people you wouldn't meet if you had ignored them.

Now onto what I wanted to say: Alicirno, given the context of your signature- 'so fucking what!' :')

So, I play on the showdown main server a fair bit for some reason and most people are pleasant enough. Usually my interactions will consist of only a GG at the end of a battle. Sometimes people talk a bit more but most of them are pretty nice.

Then you get the 10% or so of people who are complete jerks. For example, just before writing this I was doing an OU no mega battle against one of the loveliest people I have ever met.

When he got burned by flame body he asked me to die of cancer. Whenever something bad happened to him he abused me with a ton of F words. When my icy wind missed he said I sucked and should go kill myself and I won't even go into what happened after I beat him with 3 pokemon left.

So I'm half tempted to stop using it. These idiots ruin it for all of us.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything we can do about toxic people. I started fresh on two alts this week trying to play 20 games on each alt seeing my win/loss ratio. On the way, it was chill for the most part. Some players are just really dumb. Most of the time when people say rude shit, it's because they're only trying to make themselves feel better, even though the outcome of the game didn't matter in the long run.

I wouldn't stop laddering on the main server, though. While you got a handful of assholes, there are genuinely friendly and nice people, too! Don't let a few people ruin your welcome. I say few, but the people who say these nasty things to you are nowhere near the number of the nice quality people.

As how I deal with them myself... lol. Most of the time I don't even have to say anything because the person who rages at me usually forfeits or something, but I'm not much of an angel when someone wants to go mad. Just spit out some fire and call it a game.