Pokémon Reborn Hardcore!

Solarance

It's okay, I'm actually doing a run through where I'm going to try and adjust for some of the fights in order to avoid a couple issues that kept popping up. Anyways, I am doing a poll to fix Florinia who I've probably spent 10 hours alone trying to fix (Ciel I did an overnighter and she still has a long way to go before meeting expectations). She's a major pain and trust me when I say she's a hell of a lot better than what you were originally going to fight.

http://www.pokemonreborn.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17984 (In case anyone wants to cast a vote and doesn't know about it).

Now for a bit on your feedback:

Julia: I agree she is really tough, but I've found strategies along with other people able to overcome this even with Monotypes. Heck, somebody even solo'd her. It's one of those situations instead of charging in, you should look around and grab some stuff and actually makes you want to quest. Zigzagoon/Pachirusu is actually one of the best Pokemon to take in this fight.

Florinia: I nicknamed her Derpbot for the number of times she's made me bang my head against the computer screen. Shelly was like that, but thankfully I was able to get her to function better. Florinia just doesn't want to work like ever. I think I have a couple ideas how to fix her, but man I'm surprised how easily people tore through her. And that Ferroseed did have an Eviolite yet it's still too weak. Hopefully in this huge update, I can do her justice and bring back some nostalgia even.

The Rivals: I nerfed the first Victoria fight because of the no good place to grind thing (I might up it back if it's too much of a problem), but yeah, the last few rival battles kind of are counterproductive so I might be redoing them. The reason Cain doesn't have a Mega is because he just got that Gengar so I didn't think it would be fair and fun to save if for a later fight. And yeah, the Shade episode fights might be a little bit too high, but I'll see when I get there (still not as bad as when Jamak shot Grand Hall Fern to 38-42 range with Mega Sceptile making me almost have a cow). Most of the early fights I felt did their job well.

Aster and Eclipse: Oh boy those two. I have stories that go in all sorts of directions with them. It's difficult to make teams as they are stuck with a total of six until the finale one where they have 12. The last one is definitely good and fun as I gave them a couple additions that I felt suited them. Probably the weakest boss in the game, but they are supposed to be slightly stronger grunts anyways.

Corey: Odd how two people felt Nidoqueen was a pushover while a couple other completely thought it was the strongest. Corey has a total of 10 Pokemon with one team being slightly more defensive and the other slightly more offensive. He originally had a Mega Beedrill, but that son of a gun was so broken. It's funny how I struggled more with his Corossive field team than his Mist team in the original. And I still have horror stories of that Scolipede. That Scolipede is the devil.

Shade: That's a first to say Mega Banette was a pushover. If you try to fight Shade in his own turf, he can to quite a bit of damage and is really, really scary. I'm probably going to reevaluate this fight, but I don't expect too many team changes.

Archer/Maxwell: TBH, this was a tribute to Gen III with the Crobat and Mightyena. I didn't want an easy fight because those Pokemon can put a huge dent in Shade. But yeah, Pokemon were picked to be opposite of each other though I don't know what I...oh I remember what it was for Maxwell. They now more symbolize Archie and Maxie team wise for their first battle over a monotype.

Kiki: Oh yeah, I've always had trouble with her. That Medicham threw me off first go around so I fought back with a Cofagrigus. I've seen some interesting plays on how to beat this demon. What if I told you Samson was harder.

Solaris: I agree with you on that. I know Garchomp is scary, but I just get sick of the whole "I defeated Garchomp! I'm so awesome." deal appearing especially with the hundreds of times people say cheap strategies or cheese it. I remember fighting that Garchomp with my own strength, but it left me nearly dead. I decided to go with a full team to bring the challenge pretty much making the lore that he's only fighting at half his strength (he grow bored of you...and I wouldn't blame him). There's just some satisfaction out of beating Hardcore Solaris.

Aya: This is more or less pre-nerf Aya plus field effect. Funny how her pre-nerf is now on terms with the other leaders making her not feel so overwhelming compared to normal Reborn. Glad people don't find her Uber insane strong.

Sirius: I forgot he had Sludge Wave...and I've never seen him use it before. I'll edit that out for Poison Jab, but I personally thought seeing Hardcore Cain kick Sirius's butt was fun to watch. I thought he was ridiculously easy but to each his own. I will warn you that Sigmund is good. One of my favorite fights both in and out of Hardcore.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, is there an early EXP Share in this? If so where is it?

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Y5HCtDI.png

And by the way, I put a new survey up for the Corey episode and I really do take all that feedback into consideration. Taka got a little nerf losing Boomburst for Hyper Voice, but STAB still makes it hurt...just not for insane damage.

So, not the best of news... My computer just Blue Screened of Death and will refuse to turn on, even though this would be for a short period of time most likely, Commander will be put in charge of downloads, etc. I'm sorry.

Yikes, from copyright issues to suicidal computers. The universe doesn't want to see a harder version of Reborn...

It's more like the universe is pushing Commander to new levels of insanity. It's okay as most of the data was preserved except for a very buggy Jamak fight.

For now on, Commander will be taking command haha lel ​of fights, etc. The only input as of now that I will be adding is my *single* fight in the game... The location is TBD, but will be coming sometime soon, also, the download link for his version will be official on the front page of this topic...

Where's the DL link?

Sorry about that, I actually have it up on Mediafire and Mega. I've been slowly working on a revamp due to an unexpected surplus of exp and just some little minor lv adjustments (nothing too drastic except Florinia is changing).

Mega: Link

Mediafire: Link

(If I could have a mod put them in the OP, I'd love you forever)

While I like the idea of making it harder, I really dislike anything fake. The pulse mons were still bearable because they were the only fakes in the game. Add more fakes to it and it just doesn't really feel like pokemon anymore. I believe it should stick closely to the original game, like how reborn did. Adding more fake stuff just make it seems terrible.

I guess that's just me then. I chose reborn above any other fan made pokemon games cos this was the only one that stick close to the original game. The rest? It's filled with fake mons and what not.

If there's a hardcore edition with no fake/illegal moves, perhaps I'll try that.

While I like the idea of making it harder, I really dislike anything fake. The pulse mons were still bearable because they were the only fakes in the game. Add more fakes to it and it just doesn't really feel like pokemon anymore. I believe it should stick closely to the original game, like how reborn did. Adding more fake stuff just make it seems terrible.

I guess that's just me then. I chose reborn above any other fan made pokemon games cos this was the only one that stick close to the original game. The rest? It's filled with fake mons and what not.

If there's a hardcore edition with no fake/illegal moves, perhaps I'll try that.

As for rematches (if that is still a thing) Custom moves will be out of the question as Commander is lead designer with teams. But other then that the only "fake" stuff that we've added is 2 extra, optional, trainers.

The only illegal moves I currently have is Shade's Dusknoir who has Shadow Claw. The only reason I would use an illegal move is not to make it stronger, but to help tighten the AI up a bit. The only other illegal move was Sand Tomb on Cacnea for Florinia due to an AI exploit where it would use Nature Power on flying types often. I won't ever do anything drastic like give a Flareon Wild Charge or a Scizor Earthquake as I do reference Bulbapedia when creating movesets. I will however change Shadow Claw back into Shadow Punch once field AI has been implemented and tests correctly. (Trust me, I do quite a few tests especially on leaders to make sure they are working properly).

Truthfully, I put my foot down on fake moves. I to generally believe that the game should be played without any fake stuff. Pulse Muk also has Water Pulse instead of Muddy Water...due to another AI exploit for the time being and I did have T-shock on one of the Pulse Tangrowths, but that was later dropped for being too wtf for anyone but pre Episode 10.5 players. If you want the spirit of 100% true Pokemon game, I will disappoint you as I will do slight, hardly noticeable moves in order to provide a better and more enjoyable game. When the game's AI is at its finest, this will be true to the formula I will promise you that.

The only illegal moves I currently have is Shade's Dusknoir who has Shadow Claw. The only reason I would use an illegal move is not to make it stronger, but to help tighten the AI up a bit. The only other illegal move was Sand Tomb on Cacnea for Florinia due to an AI exploit where it would use Nature Power on flying types often. I won't ever do anything drastic like give a Flareon Wild Charge or a Scizor Earthquake as I do reference Bulbapedia when creating movesets. I will however change Shadow Claw back into Shadow Punch once field AI has been implemented and tests correctly. (Trust me, I do quite a few tests especially on leaders to make sure they are working properly).

Truthfully, I put my foot down on fake moves. I to generally believe that the game should be played without any fake stuff. Pulse Muk also has Water Pulse instead of Muddy Water...due to another AI exploit for the time being and I did have T-shock on one of the Pulse Tangrowths, but that was later dropped for being too wtf for anyone but pre Episode 10.5 players. If you want the spirit of 100% true Pokemon game, I will disappoint you as I will do slight, hardly noticeable moves in order to provide a better and more enjoyable game. When the game's AI is at its finest, this will be true to the formula I will promise you that.

Okay. I'll hold you to your words. I hope you stick to your words with the hardcore edition not having any other fake mons or fake moves. I'll wait for you to fix the game AI and change the illegal moves back to the legal moves once it's all done properly.

I look forward to this version being completed. I hope I don't get disappointed.

Okay. I'll hold you to your words. I hope you stick to your words with the hardcore edition not having any other fake mons or fake moves. I'll wait for you to fix the game AI and change the illegal moves back to the legal moves once it's all done properly.

I look forward to this version being completed. I hope I don't get disappointed.

If Commander says it, he 98.9% of the time means it, of course the only "fake mons" that will be included in Hardcore are the ones from the base game. Also, the full AI I highly doubt Commander will fix completely in EP16's release as it takes a while to edit those. But if illegal moves are preventing you from playing, I'm honestly not sure why. You would only have to deal with one or two illegal moves max per gym leader if the leader even needs those moves.

If Commander says it, he 98.9% of the time means it, of course the only "fake mons" that will be included in Hardcore are the ones from the base game. Also, the full AI I highly doubt Commander will fix completely in EP16's release as it takes a while to edit those. But if illegal moves are preventing you from playing, I'm honestly not sure why. You would only have to deal with one or two illegal moves max per gym leader if the leader even needs those moves.

Here's my philosphy on illegal moves, "Don't do it to make a Pokemon stronger, but to make the overall experience more enjoyable." The illegal moves likely won't be dropped (there's 2) until around E19's release when Field AI is implemented. Pulse Muk's water pulse is to avoid the Ground type exploit, but Shadow Claw on Dusknoir is to avoid EQ spamming. The latter may be changed back after a couple tests if I'm able to make Bulldoze work on it. That's it though. Everything else is legal and will likely stay that way.

As for the underlined part, that is completely untrue. Anything illegal would be something you'd normally have to deal with (iirc GF has even done illegal stuff with NPCs, but are quite subtle about it). Outside of Pulse Muk, they are temp fixes until I can find an alternative.

• 2 weeks later...

I just gave this mod a shot pre-Agate city.

Samson was actually easy for me. His field actually helped me out more than it helped him. My Heracross killed his Hariyama with a few close combats(gym leader kept using hyper potions) and he one shotted his mega Lucario before he could even do anything. My Greninja could actually one shot two of his mons with extrasensory too.

I sort of cheated by using my regular save 9 gyms in already but the regular game was getting too easy for me and I didn't want to start over completely just yet as I already spent so much time building a good team. THis doesn't mean that he was a weak gym leader by any means just that my team matched up very well with him with a Gardevoir, Greninja with good IVs/EVs, Heracross, etc.

Maybe when version 16 comes out I will start a clean save.

Edited by felixng2016

If you're looking for a stupidly broken challenge, the main game of hardcore might be a bit of a disappointment. Hardcore was designed as the next step of challenge after Reborn. Teams are more balanced and rounded along with using strategies like on the league (though I am having to cheat a little to get Shelly's Rain Dance strategy off). The one thing I do keep is that the difficulty is at the point where you can still use anything and even monotypes are possible (though it can get quite difficult at some points).

There is one little post game project I'm working on that will challenge the best of the best. You will want to bring the best of the best and even a team of Blaziken, Metagross, Gyarados, Greninja, Diggersby, and whatever else won't guarantee an easy victory. It's a challenge really meant to test you and only the best of the best will make it even far in. It might not be out until a post 2.0 release though.

Okay, I thought about it for a little bit and decided to turn this solo project into a bit of a co-op effort for the time being. I'm not really in need of help, but it'd be kind of nice to have so that we can actually take this a little step further by adding gym/boss rematches. This would allow me to really expand what can be done with post game and add extra features compared to a simple beginning and end type deal. I was going to leave this a surprise, but my current project is a Gym Leader castle where you have to fight all 13 gym leaders in a row (a new one will be added each release) along with a few surprises. So far, I've nearly gotten the frame done, but none of the battles or the extra stuff.

The only requirements I'm really picking on is that you have RPG maker and kind of know a little bit about it (though the latter isn't a requirement) along with a pretty strong a vast knowledge of Pokemon battling system and great problem solving skills (you will hit a wall at some points no matter how good you are). Creating trainers/teams is the big focus and depending on how deeply you want to go, I may add some other projects for you to do. So if you're interested or kind of want me to tutor you how I did all those battles, just PM me and I'll probably only pick one or two people to help.

It's been a good journey with its ups and downs, but my tale has come to a close. After this Friday, I will be resigning from being a Reborn Hardcore "dev" if I still even hold that title anymore. I will be a memory of the past and to Commander and future members of this, I wish you good luck and know you will do good with what has been layed out.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...