Pokémon Reborn Hardcore!

Solarance

Baldr, I absolutely agree with you that items really just drag a battle on. It literally would only take about 10 minutes to do a separate, but it shouldn't be that hard to turn it into a separate mode on the actual Hardcore. That one is just a basic edit of the challenge mode script merely to read different fights for the game. Since I made CoM I have everything set up scripting wise so if someone wanted to disable items, they'd simply need to make an Or statement and add a switch in. I have some free time so I'll add that list in my things to do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So to summarize my progress: everything is done but a randomizer (and the thing above) which is being dropped not because it didn't work, but it broke everything else in the process so it'll be a long while before I figure that mess out if I ever do. Nostalgia mode and the Corey mon quest were my bigger focuses anyways. Let's just say I'm going to have to give Trev or the Beta tester a text file in how to get it so they don't screw it up since I'm not going to make good mons easy to get.

Still going to be roughly a week or so before I upload anything, but soon. In the meantime, enjoy this pic of me getting destroyed by the one and only hax queen. Nerfing this fight to manageable levels is not fun. That mamo is the bane of my existence.

4655b2ece36dd780cfd785b1cf635a34.png

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Developers

Hax queen? You mean Serra? Wait Serra is doubles in hardcore? :-O In regular reborn I crushed her with Magneton's Mirror Shot (Froslass was the only thing capaple of doing something about it). I'll have to try that again in hardcore. :-P

I tried using the search function and I didn't see the answer so figured I'd ask.

I just realized that I've been playing on v2.1 and want to update so I can check out the CoM. Do I need to save inside anywhere for updating from 2.1 to CoM?

I tried using the search function and I didn't see the answer so figured I'd ask.

I just realized that I've been playing on v2.1 and want to update so I can check out the CoM. Do I need to save inside anywhere for updating from 2.1 to CoM?

The only difference between 2.1 and CoM is that I changed the Ciel fight (and the CoM postgame), but if there was ever a need to worry about saving inside a certain location or avoiding one I would generally tell you. The only place that gives errors is if somebody saves in Shelly's gym and tries starting up regular reborn. And that should never be an issue unless a certain old map gets revamped or updated.

The only difference between 2.1 and CoM is that I changed the Ciel fight (and the CoM postgame), but if there was ever a need to worry about saving inside a certain location or avoiding one I would generally tell you. The only place that gives errors is if somebody saves in Shelly's gym and tries starting up regular reborn. And that should never be an issue unless a certain old map gets revamped or updated.

Alrighty, thank you very much.

Okay, I want to get one thing out of the way before I do anything else. DO NOT PLAY THIS MOD WITH EPISODE 16 upon release. I will get more to that below. So here's what you guys have been waiting for:

CoM 1.5 Links

Mediafire: Here

Mega: Here

Reborn Hardcore 2.1 (This is the old version without any added content which I will explain later):

Mediafire: Here

Mega: Here

So CoM is a bit of an expansion of the original CoM that adds quite a number of features. Most of the features will be chosen at the start of the game which are permanent, except nostalgia mode, though if there is a feature you really don't like just PM me the save (or maybe some of the request a mon guys if it gets bad) and I'll be able to change it. Here's a thorough explanation of each of the features:

Level Limiter: Basically an episode based cap that prevents Pokemon from leveling up once they either hit the level cap for the badge or 32 for Corey and 42 for Kiki. Just a note that despite not gaining any experience in battle, it still will take half of the experience earned from battling a Pokemon. I'm still working on this however the known errors are harmless.

Nostalgia Mode: This is a special mode based on older episodes of Reborn. The main focus of this feature is the alternate battles against gym leaders such as Shelly which can be switched freely before the gym fight. There are a few easter eggs and changes outside of the gym leaders which veterans will remember. While Radomus is the last of the gym leaders to use this, I may have left a little surprise if someone were to face his singles fight and keep it on the whole way through. Consider it a teaser for Hardcore Episode 16.

TM Breeding: Basically just brings back TM breeding from pre-episode 13 and works just the same way.

No item run: If you've played CoM, this plays out exactly the same way however, you still earn experience and the mode can be either shift or set. All of the opponents bar a couple have lost their items, but you cannot use items in battle either. On the bright side, items still work outside of battle. If you change your mind on this one though, you have to hit deactivate (or activate insanity mode) as cancel merely goes back to the selection screen. Also note that activating Insanity Mode will cancel out this challenge.

Insanity Mode: Think Hardcore is way too easy. This mode buffs all of the enemy Pokemon levels by 20% (I think I made a typo on the game). I have not tested the difficulty in this mode but I can already tell you it's extremely unbalanced. Good luck if you attempt it. Just note that activating No Item run will override this (and let's face it, you'd be insane if you think you can beat this mode without items).

Here's the changelog for CoM 1.5:

-The Corey's mons quest has been added in which every pokemon but Crobat is catch-able

-The Drifloon kid quest has been pushed back and is accessible after a bit of progress in Episode 4

-The above features mentioned have been added

-Anything I wrote in the Bugfix before has been fixed along with all reported bugs

-Most of the sprites used have been fixed (RIP flying Pokemon and underground Kyurem-B.)

-An event has been added whether or not you choose to fight Shelly in Perma-rain

-Solaris has been removed from CoM in exchange for a new member in the hellish 4

-A few new secret fights have been added

With that out of the way I need to talk a bit about episode 16 since this will be the final release before Hardcore is updated again. Due to the need of a variables and switches for CoM, this may possibly affect 16 (I'm like 100% sure it will) so I will be releasing a quickfix version of hardcore hopefully one week after the community release that will only contain modded battles in the storyline (and I swear if anyone complains about Oshawotts in that release I will lose it). This one will also fix all of the mess preventing the CoM version of Hardcore being playable on E16 of Reborn.

As for updating everything in Hardcore, I'm going to do it but it'll probably take 2 weeks to a month. I can't promise any specific timeframe because there were a lot of fixes for Hardcore. There's a lot of experimental stuff here so I'd really appreciate feedback in preparation for 16 so I can fix or refine stuff. Also due to this thread being cluttered, I'm going to open a new thread and lock this one for the E16 release. There's a strawpoll in the OP (thank you solarance) so please vote if you'd rather it say here in the fan-game expose or in the Reborn City sub-thread.

Is there a way to turn on the Level Limiter or TM Breeding midway through the game or is it something that has to be edited/turned on via RPG Maker if you're playing an already existing save file?

The level limiter is almost indefinitely going to be chosen at the start of the game. The ability to turn it off or on at any point kind of defeats the purpose and the intentions of it (easier grinding with the tradeoff of wasting a ton of exp that's harder to manipulate vs more experience that requires a bit more managing). I mean since I won't be doing much with Hardcore I don't mind people sending me PMs to turn it on for in progress games for the first month or so, THIS IS A ONE TIME ONLY THING THOUGH so if you change you're mind, you're out of luck with me at least.

TM Breeding is another one that has no point being able to turn on or off at any time since it affects so little since not everyone breeds. Depending on feedback, I might make it a part of the game rather than giving the option so it's available to anyone. I merely added it so people would stop searching and downloading episode 12.

I have a feeling Insanity is going to involve lots of breeding and grinding to get optimal IV/natures/movelists on top of EV grinding, or creating a team based around setting up some supersweeper (Blaziken or perhaps some Shell Smasher)

The only reason I included that is because I had the code sitting there anyways since I needed to do something for a no item run. It's untested so who knows what it looks like. I don't think you need perfect mons to beat it but you likely will need solid teams if you attempt it. Like pick the best mons you can kind of solid. On a side note, I'll allow people to mod or edit Hardcore if they wish to better flesh out insanity mode since I won't do anything with it. (Just PM me if you're interested and I'll give you a full rundown how to do it.

• Developers

Thanks for the update Commander! :-)

I think you should make it clear that the No Item Run has no effect on held items - only disables non-held items like potions and revives. Or at least I hope that's the case...

Thanks for the update Commander! :-)

I think you should make it clear that the No Item Run has no effect on held items - only disables non-held items like potions and revives. Or at least I hope that's the case...

Only thing it does is that you can't use the bag in battle. Literally that's all.

Do any of the gym leaders have EV trained teams?

This is kind of a complicated answer since all Pokemon have EVs (the normal formula for the regular Pokemon games is level times 1.5 spread across all stats until it's like 80 something). Reborn (or maybe it was essentials) added in coding to adjust the evs to whatever you like so long as the total doesn't exceed 508. Regular Reborn doesn't do EV spreads until Charlotte for full teams but aces start getting EVs starting with Serra. Hardcore is a little bit different since EVs are added to Pokemon starting with Florinia.

My general rule is to leave EVs alone unless a Pokemon needs it (or needs nerfed) then I use a formal where I figure out what their normal ev spread is (the 1.5 formula) and how many EVs I have remaining to give a boost in stats, usually defense. Perfect EV spreads don't happen until about Terra and quite a lot of boss Pokemon don't even have custom EV spreads. Let's just say people see the spreads and think I'm like the biggest idiot and have no idea what I'm doing since they're not the 252/252/4 people are used to seeing.

And I already have a bugs list. Anyways sorry for double posting but I mentioned a while ago something about adding statues of people in the game. This is because the area outside the CoM really feels kind of bear and generic and it needs a bit of decoration. While I wish I could do every fan (omg I would die attempting that), I kind of decided to do something similar to they gyms where if you do one of the following accomplishments below you'd get a statue like this one.

b3ac1f9cd0dab414bf0fa8e864eef3c5.png

Basically all I really require as proof you accomplished one of the achievements. The easiest way is to have a pic of either defeating Ciel's last Pokemon or the Last Pokemon being KO'd in the CoM, but I would like some recorded logs of your actions (these aren't required but just like 2-3 sentences would do wonders). I'd also like a pic of the team of 6 just to showcase on the new thread unless we get a hella lot of statue apps. Please do this through PMs and not here.

Please, please, please don't abuse this system as then I'd have to install a system to keep track of records to verify save files and you'd have to send save files to me and it'd be a bit of a complicated mess (and delay the mod even more). Right now, I'll be pretty relaxed about it so if you've beaten the CoM beforehand, I'll except a log or summary of a few of the battles.

Anyways, here's the list of achievements that can earn you a statue:

-Defeating the Champion in the Chamber of Memories

-Clearing through Insanity Mode

-Clearing a Nuzlocke Challenge

-Clearing the XCoM

P.S. the Chamber of Memories is no longer under spoiler lock so you guys are free to talk about it including the champion fight here or anywhere.

Bug to report: My game is frozen in the Beryl Ward after winning the double battle and defeating the PULSE. I can't move in any direction or do anything. I've already reloaded a backup save file and won the double battle again, same thing happened. I also tried re-downloading the game, same problem.

Bug to report: My game is frozen in the Beryl Ward after winning the double battle and defeating the PULSE. I can't move in any direction or do anything. I've already reloaded a backup save file and won the double battle again, same thing happened. I also tried re-downloading the game, same problem.

i think I might know why but let me take a look at RPGmaker for a minute. Theoretically it shouldn't do that but due to adding an event anything is possible I suppose. Yep, RPG is really weird how it treats players and other events so it should be fixed when I reupload it. I'm gonna guess heather is frozen in place causing the game to hault due to an invisible event for a sidequest later.

Edit: I just wrapped up the hotfix for any of the huge errors that came out. Sorry about this but I haven't had the time like I used to for looking for bugs in the game and I've really expanded and what I do. Without beta testers, it's gonna be hard to promise this won't happen again but I'll try to be more cautious. Anyways here's the list of bugs fixed (and Links):

Hardcore CoM 1.51

Mega

Mediafire

-The CoM bag lockout should be fixed for all fights. If it's not, simply just lose to Julia or someone in the chambers.

-Genesis fight now warps the player to the next room after defeating him

-Defeating the CoM champion now earns you a little reward and a quick bonus scene

-The randomize has been fixed and implemented at the start of the game

-the item run has been fixed so now you should be able to catch wild pokemon, but not be able to heal during trainer battles

-The Taka & Zel fight has been fixed

So yeah, the randomizer is working now \o/ So I can cross that off my list. If you're waiting or not planning on playing for a while, I'd probably wait since this is just a hotfix for some of those game breaking errors discovered.

When you're just about to start a 6 hour campaign after getting ur Rhydon. Only to download the new game bcuz bugs.

I hate bugs.

Also thanks for updates.

Just as a rule of thumb, always carry a version of either regular Reborn Ep 15 or nonCoM version Hardcore on hand just in case. E16's Version of CoM is going to be a lot safer. Admittedly, I thought I caught all the errors since my beta testers and I literally have the worst possible time schedules where our availability didn't line up so well which kind of led to me getting this all fixed ASAP. (Admittedly, the Taka & ZEL fight is why I uploaded it so quickly).

Soo...yeah, I'm going to need a few volunteers for beta testing for Hardcore when E16 rolls around so PM if you're interested. I'll make a better announcement for it when the new thread comes around (likely going to be here based on the poll). Once that thread is up, I'm going to request this thread be locked pronto. Likely soon. I just want to make sure we have a stable version of Hardcore CoM before creating the transition (and getting the green light from the mods).

So what's the new thread going to look like? Well I'll be the OP so the download links as well as the info in the first post will always be up to date. The bugs list will be listed and updated as I go, though I won't include too many of the reborn related ones. I will also include contact methods such as an email (not my personal one) so that non-members can ask me questions or report bugs should they wish. Tags will also be added to the title whenever a new release is up.

I picked up a double shift today, so I'm going to do a run through of the randomizer. I was going to ask if the gym leaders/rivals/important battles/events were randomized but now that I'm actually going to start playing it in under an hour, I'm sure I'll find the answer to my own question. Anyway, looking good with the updates. I'm excited to play No Item, Level Limiter, Nostalgia Mode, TM Breeding, and Randomizer. I'll be sure to report any hiccups that I find.

So just I understand:

CoM is it's own thing, and it's just kinda like the post game, while Hardcore is just...Reborn Hardcore. Like, CoM doesn't have any of the main game in it?

Also, in CoM. can I use a team from vanilla Reborn, or do I have to use a team from Hardcore?

Edited by CaptainMomo

Baby don't tempt me...

We think it's nuzlockeable we just don't know XD. Someone's going to do it eventually though but probably after a large number fail

I picked up a double shift today, so I'm going to do a run through of the randomizer. I was going to ask if the gym leaders/rivals/important battles/events were randomized but now that I'm actually going to start playing it in under an hour, I'm sure I'll find the answer to my own question. Anyway, looking good with the updates. I'm excited to play No Item, Level Limiter, Nostalgia Mode, TM Breeding, and Randomizer. I'll be sure to report any hiccups that I find.

I tried something for Pokemon events, but I have to look at the coding a bit more to see how Ruby does the class system. The only thing I can't do is remove the breeding moves so you could have a Gyarados with Ice Punch kind of janked up. Leaders are going to be easier if you randomize them since they won't have custom movesets.

So just I understand:

CoM is it's own thing, and it's just kinda like the post game, while Hardcore is just...Reborn Hardcore. Like, CoM doesn't have any of the main game in it?

Also, in CoM. can I use a team from vanilla Reborn, or do I have to use a team from Hardcore?

This is going to sound a bit confusing, but if you use a regular save of Reborn for CoM (it's just Reborn Hardcore with a lot of added content to it) you need to make sure two of the following happen after you leave the CoM (These maps do not exist in Reborn so do not open vanilla reborn if you're in the CoM):

1. Go and fight a battle, probably wild, and make sure you can use items (if not you need to lose an earlier fight in CoM)

2. If you manage to defeat the champion, do not save afterwards

These two factors are currently using something called switches which Regular Reborn has a very good chance of using right now. I'm going to fix this issue for E16 so it won't be a problem for future episodes hopefully permanently. As for the save files, you'll need to switch the save to a different folder that should be called Reborn Hardcore which is the CoM thing. To access the CoM you need to talk to the bookcase in the Grand Hall.