[Spoilers] E16 Status Discussion

Amethyst

""Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."

- Karen.

My favorites just so happen to be all the strong ones :B

"Strong" and "weak" is also a perception of statistics. You can argue that Venusaur isn't stronger than Bulbasaur, or that Manaphy isn't stronger than Phione, but base stat totals indicate that one of these is strictly better than the other, regardless of personal preference.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's more excited for Ep 16 than the actual Pokemon Sun/Moon? Looking forward to all of these remodeled places and sidequests to explore! Keep up the good work!

Everyone.

""Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."

- Karen.

THIS all the way. In my current gameplay, I have 4 OUs, 14 UUs, 1 BL2, 6 RUs, 3 NUs, 14 PUs and 1 NFE and I am doing just fine. My Seaking demolished Samson almost on its own for instance. It is my favorite Pokemon and I have used it succesfully in games and competitively (also in OU battles and whatnot).

[EDIT]: Also, the gym leaders in Reborn give a flying fuck about tiers and kick ass regardless (maybe because of the fields but who cares? Their teams were not tier-tied before we even had field effects). Just sayin. To me, this is pretty delightful. I acknowledge tiers. But I am bored to death with online battling because of that.

In the Pokemon online forum I wanted to use a Vileplume, but apparently Effect Spore is a no-no when coupled with Toxic, Leech Seed, Sludge Bomb and Aromatherapy. But Togekiss with Serene Grace, Thunder Wave and Air Slash is fair enough. And no, I do not need anbody explaining to me why. I just do not see that. Period.

Also in that very same team I had a guy forfeiting (and addressing profane language towards me) because Gallade knew EQ despite having plenty of counters in his team.

Edited by mde2001

The thing to remember is that Reborn is not so hard that you can't use the Mons you like. Yes, it is more difficult then the main games, and it's more difficult then using the "best-for-the-battle" Mons, but it makes it all the more satisfying when you do win, as you win with YOUR team, YOUR favorites and not just those that are statistically the best (Reason why I am still using Emolga in my main run's team despite multiple suggestions to replace him). And if there is overlap between "favorite" and "strong", all the better for you (One of my favorite Mons is Swampert).

I know this topic was already argued a lot, but it's just something that needs Re-affirming.

referring back to the comparison of charlottes gym puzzle and Wallace gym puzzle, difference is that iirc Charlotte's gym puzzle once the floor is all filled in it is safe to just walk across to the stairs, Wallace gm...not so much

In Charlotte's gym you still have to position yourself in front of the stairs so it's still pretty difficult. I can't actually remember Wallace's gym puzzle so maybe there were some ice physics involved or something, Idk

If you cannot immediately see the path, make a quick route on a piece of paper. When Hoehn came out, I remember dropping into the basement on purpose to mine exp from the trainers because of all the ridiculous pokemon I wanted to use.

Regarding the whole tiers discussion, I have a small piece. I'm very much on the side of "use whatever the hell you want" because I championed Garbodor through the Arceus fight, and a little beyond. Hell, I still think that a lot of lower tiered Pokemon in competitive outperform some of the higher tiered mons in game simply because they have a better natural movepool. Above all else in Reborn and fangames in general, your natural level up moveset is KING. Anyways, tl;dr, use whatever the heck you want and enjoy the game.

As for legendaries, I can imagine us only getting one Legendary Pre Elite 4. And that's Phione. Because Ame hates us. Base 80s across the board boiz

tiers only matter in competitive gaming. against AI, the whole viability/usability thing changes a lot.

And then there's those trainers with specifically made competitively adapted ultra teams. (I'm looking at you Agate Clown) xD

• Developers

tiers only matter in competitive gaming. against AI, the whole viability/usability thing changes a lot.

Sometimes yes but mostly not.

My experience from recent eeveelutions run: Vaporeon, Espeon and Sylveon (all UU) were my trumph cards - even took down Garchomp and Arceus. Jolteon (RU) also helped quite a bit. Glaceon (PU) was good only against T3RR4 and Seel because of typing but that's all. Flareon and Leafeon (both PU) were completely useless. Umbreon which is competetively good (UU) was useless too because it requires TMs like Toxic and Move tutor attacks like Foul Play. Without them it can only stall and baton-pass wishes - but Vaporeon is better for that.

All of it were exactly as the tiers would suggest and the only exception is because of missing TMs. My other runs with different pokes had similar results.

Possibly because Wallace's Gym Puzzle, you gotta step on every part of the icy floor once and only once or you fall through in order to unlock the next set of stairs, progressively getting harder and you need to make sure the final part of the icy floor you step on is exactly in front of the stairs or you will fall through the floor and need to do it again, basically for people who aren't good at finding the one path it is hell

That it's curious, for me that was one of the easiest Puzzles of the game...in the other hand the mirror gym, fainting all my pokemons at the same time was annoying.

My experience from recent eeveelutions run: Vaporeon, Espeon and Sylveon (all UU) were my trumph cards - even took down Garchomp and Arceus. Jolteon (RU) also helped quite a bit. Glaceon (PU) was good only against T3RR4 and Seel because of typing but that's all. Flareon and Leafeon (both PU) were completely useless. Umbreon which is competetively good (UU) was useless too because it requires TMs like Toxic and Move tutor attacks like Foul Play. Without them it can only stall and baton-pass wishes - but Vaporeon is better for that.

All of it were exactly as the tiers would suggest and the only exception is because of missing TMs. My other runs with different pokes had similar results.

i guess.., glaceon was good in my run because i was bringing it in double battles and used hail + blizzard spam. and because i like being a douchebag against npcs, i put snow cloak + brightpowder + double team....

I dunno, Glaceon's been working out very well for me so far in my main run. Hail + Blizzard is a beautiful combo, even resisted it's a decent chunk of damage. Really, it comes to personal preference and if it means using lower tiered mons, well, there's that. Besides, tiers should ONLY matter in a PvP competitive setting, not in a regular game where the needs are different.

And yeah, TM's can affect a mon's usefulness, though it's moreso those who rely on them who suffer.

Ultimately, a smart strategy is FAR more important then the Mons you use. If that were not the case, then literally all mono-type runs would be impossible as eventually you would run into someone who hard-counters you (Kiki for Ice/Rock/Steel, Corey for Grass/Fairy...)

Edited by Anstane

I do agree that one of the beautiful points of Reborn is to let you champion your favorite PU or NU pokemon. It's always interesting to me to see how people get on using a particular pokemon, or how they come across it due to a challenge run they did (much like Sudowoodo for me).

You know when testing something I noticed bothered me a bit which kind of irks me. (Also to get this thread off of what Pokemon they use).

"Today the heart of Reborn City falls. ...How marvelous."

At first I thought it was Solaris or Sirius saying it, but that really doesn't sound like them. I'm actually starting to think Radomus might say it, but he doesn't really pause or use ellipses in his dialogue.

You know when testing something I noticed bothered me a bit which kind of irks me. (Also to get this thread off of what Pokemon they use).

"Today the heart of Reborn City falls. ...How marvelous."

At first I thought it was Solaris or Sirius saying it, but that really doesn't sound like them. I'm actually starting to think Radomus might say it, but he doesn't really pause or use ellipses in his dialogue.

What would even "the heart of Reborn City" refer to? The Grand Hall maybe? And what would make you think that it would be Radomus saying it? While it's true we haven't seen him since we rescued Luna from El iirc and he does have quite a bit of mystery surrounding him, he doesn't seem like the guy that would actually like it if whatever this "heart" is, falls. I always thought it was someone in Team Meteor, presumable Solaris who said it since he seems to despise the city almost more than anyone else in Team Meteor. Hmm... theories inbound.

This quote is a teaser for the future of the story. A quote from a flashback wouldn't fit this role.

But I never doubted it was Lin too. The kind of sadism of the quote seems to fit her well and we know she gonna be involved now. As for the heart, it could be the Grand Hall, the place behind the locked door where we first met Solaris (I doubt it since behind is the power they want, not something they want to fall), or some important character for Reborn, Ame or Adrienn, (but I don't think Lin would have so much pleasure to a simple murder, plus killing them wouldn't change the fact they restored the city). Or they could destroy the entire city, as the heart of the region of Reborn, or because the heart of the city would fall with it. So I expect either an attack on the Grand Hall or a pulse attack on the entire city (new earthquake ?). Since we already know there's a pulse in E16, I would rather say the latter

the fact is that almost every pokemon in reborn can be used in some good way.some pokes at the beginning and some near the end.and some pokes are good only for specific battles.so any pokemon can substitute another one that is not yet in the game.

the only exception to this is unown that even the best pokemon master will not be able to use that(so almost anyone has a chance)

im not going to lie.... ive been coming to check progress on the update everyday for like the past 4 months.... sooooo much hype for this next chapter too bad there will only be 3 more after D: AME MAKE THE GAME GO ON FOREVER!!!

lol funny. I did that too. The hype is very strong in me as well. :D