[Spoilers] E16 Status Discussion

Amethyst

did most of opal ward today

91y1mqw.png

However, I am running into the expected problem: with all the rocks and cracks cleaned up the city streets look really bare. Sidewalks and sewer stuff were an attempt to alleviate this for when the rebuild came, but it's not enough. For less laggy areas I might just fill up the streets with people and such-- how it should be-- but I've already trimmed a lot of event tiles from the Opal Ward in particular in an attempt to reduce lag. I can't do too much of that here without going over the soft event limit.

Might end up adding some smaller park-sections to break up the city expanse... but I'm open to other non-event ideas too.

well the hard job i see just start it looks so f***king amazing

about the lagg i thing is all about the pc if it's old and have a little problems you will have lagg and if you ame do something i thing he didn't work i buy a new pc much stronger for my old pc and i have 0 lagg everywhere all is really smuth the game will be in the next episodes much bigger with more stuff and a bit of lagg i dont know if you can make the game to have less lagg you make the game more smuthlly for the others

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that is just Opal Ward? Looks really good but the question is: how did they manage to clean it like that in the short amount of time they had? With the help of Pokemon? Maybe but then why didn't they do it sooner? The only "change" that occurred was the return of Adrienn (because Team Meteor is still alive and kicking) and only one person is not enough imo.

As far as Team Meteor goes, we've been keeping them pretty busy lately. Many of them are probably occupied with what's going on behind the barrier.

did most of opal ward today

91y1mqw.png

ah yes I can't wait for all this work to be meaningless when Lin blows up the city again :]

Might end up adding some smaller park-sections to break up the city expanse... but I'm open to other non-event ideas too.

What is classified as a "non-event"?

I suppose non-events are just decorative tiles that don't serve much purpose besides aesthetics, since events basically mean anything that have to be scripted (i.e. NPCs).

The parks are good ideas, since Reborn City is going to be prettied up, and more nature would definitely help it out. There's already that one patch of grass in Peridot Ward with the Lady who gives you a Rose Incense.

Statues are also a nice idea, and I like the idea of putting outer space Pokemon on them. Arceus could also be a suitable Pokemon.

Maybe a few fountains? I dunno, but Gearen City from Reju fills up some space with a few of them quite nicely.

Maybe a few fountains? I dunno, but Gearen City from Reju fills up some space with a few of them quite nicely.

Fountains could be a good idea, since the water is now all clean and crispy and beautiful.

as long as it doesn't go to shit again

This is what Fly distribution currently looks like.

HduULP6.png

Note this does not include anything in the city/apophyll because all of that is being remapped and I can't set up the fly points until the mapping is done.

But, that's also why I had to make Fly unavailable for so long. The old and new cities use completely different maps, but the way Fly works it activates a point once you've been to that location. If it activated for the old city and was available back then, then even once the city was restored, using Fly would have taken you to the old city.... AKA back in time. Therefore I made Fly unavailable until the city was rebuilt so that it would only take the player to the new city when used. It wasn't just for the sake of inconvenience.

Well at least there was a reason for not getting fly sooner besides you just making our lives harder ;)

Judging by the fact that there is a working fly point for the Byxbysion Wasteland, I guess that means everyone that thought that it might get cleaned up and revamped with the rest of the City was wrong.

• Administrators

finished opal and started on peridot. no screens yet because frequent interruptions meant i didnt have as much time as i would have liked. i do have plans for both of the factories, but that can come later. tomorrow will be a lot of spritework since i'll have to work out new colour schemes for all of the buildings. tsk, black was so easy...

tomorrow will be a lot of spritework since i'll have to work out new colour schemes for all of the buildings. tsk, black was so easy...

Why can't they stay black? Gray (or other) would be more "normal" sure but this is Pokemon (we have the Black City in Unova as example)

However, I am running into the expected problem: with all the rocks and cracks cleaned up the city streets look really bare. Sidewalks and sewer stuff were an attempt to alleviate this for when the rebuild came, but it's not enough. For less laggy areas I might just fill up the streets with people and such-- how it should be-- but I've already trimmed a lot of event tiles from the Opal Ward in particular in an attempt to reduce lag. I can't do too much of that here without going over the soft event limit.

You could add aesthetic details, like statues and abstract sculptures and stuff? Some "bells-and-whistles"-esque things that actual cities use to beautify their streets.
As for the streets themselves, I dunno. Perhaps some portable shops, like the ice cream vendor? Patios for some of the ground-level shops?
This is all for the Obsidia Ward, but I'm not so sure about an industrial ward like Peridot or residential wards like Lapis or Beryl.

Why can't they stay black? Gray (or other) would be more "normal" sure but this is Pokemon (we have the Black City in Unova as example)

I guess because she wants each ward to be color-coded, like in the Fly map that she posted not too far back.

• Developers
This is what Fly distribution currently looks like.

HduULP6.png

Somehow I Iiked the simple Fly maps from other games much more than this. Also why is it so cramped? There is a lot more space on the sides.

Somehow I Iiked the simple Fly maps from other games much more than this. Also why is it so cramped? There is a lot more space on the sides.

um, that map is the regional map you find in your pokenav (or w/e thing that you access the map on) but yeah. that's just the map in general and the fly markings are the little wings on the said map.

Apart from statues, fountains, and greenery, you may consider adding lanterns and other light effects? They would cheer things up

Light effects are events. More events = more lag, which is what she's trying to avoid. That's prolly why it's a bit barren :(

The overworld is much bigger in reborn, you can't really do the map much different than it is.

Something that seems a little odd to me is that Reborn has trains and choppers, but no cars. There aren't any vehicle roads in the entire city. It's not impossible, just very odd for a city of that size. Such roads (or nice pedestrian tiles) would perhaps make things less dull, but reworking would be a total pain. (You could use the refurbished underground railnet to use as a metroline for the city, but for the player it would be redundant with Fly under their belt. Something like that would probs be better purely aesthetically.)

Adding bushes would be a nice way to break up the monotone paths without making it harder to see (trees would take up 2 tiles or make one of them invisible). Fountains would do the job, too, although they could perhaps take a little bit too much space.

Well, the main series is like that too. Trains, ships, and planes but no cars. I imagine driving would be very inconvenient with people battling in the streets.

Well yeah (maybe as an exception B2W2). Doesn't make it less odd. But since it happens in the main series (and it would restrict a lot of freedom of movement), that idea is indeed better off discarded. Maybe make the tiles on the edge different in structure and color from the main road (e.g. as in Castelia City)?

• Administrators

because of . : x X ~ visual and thematic C O N T R A S T ~ X x : . wooooo!!

Because the map of the region was originally drawn on four 8.5x11 sheets of paper taped together. I did that out of convenience since I had no intention of making a game based off of it. So it taller than it was wide, and then was forced into a screen wider than it is tall (DS screen size).

Apart from statues, fountains, and greenery, you may consider adding lanterns and other light effects? They would cheer things up

The city already has a bunch of street lights and lamps... As mentioned, that's part of what contributes to the lag as is.

Maybe make the tiles on the edge different in structure and color from the main road (e.g. as in Castelia City)?

You mean, like... sidewalks, or...?

Recoloured most if not all of the peridot buildings today... and then spent way too much time trying different colour schemes for the ward and I don't like any of it. So maybe I'll warm up to one of them tomorrow or something, idk.

Ame pls make each of our rivals have their own battle theme

Buddy, it's not like you can make music at the snap of a finger. Although it would be cool to have each of the rivals' themes match their personality, it's just a lot (emphasis on a lot) of effort to make three new songs that don't really add much to the game as a whole, despite it being quite a neat idea.

You mean, like... sidewalks, or...?

(Sidewalk, or )that part between the street and the actual building (small front lawns, tiling...it makes the building or house a bit prettier, too). If you can, just check out Castelia City in gen5 on how the side of the road is different from the rest, that could be a basis.

You could even put the terrace of a restaurant/bar... in front of their establishment (if desired, you could put a couple NPC's there, too).

Buddy, it's not like you can make music at the snap of a finger. Although it would be cool to have each of the rivals' themes match their personality, it's just a lot (emphasis on a lot) of effort to make three new songs that don't really add much to the game as a whole, despite it being quite a neat idea.

It'd be fun to just subtly edit the themes to match the personalities of the rivals... although, Glitch probably didn't set up her music to be edited in tone as easily as Ame's Ward Themes... so... yeah. That's not going to be a thing.

It'd be fun to just subtly edit the themes to match the personalities of the rivals... although, Glitch probably didn't set up her music to be edited in tone as easily as Ame's Ward Themes... so... yeah. That's not going to be a thing.

Not to mention you kinda have to know what Ame knows about what is intended with the characters, or you need to make multiple tracks per rival...