Anybody watching shofu's playthrough?

Antilegend

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Developers

It was entertaining up to the part where he couldn't even figure out the very first part of the puzzle.

That really hurt my soul ;-;. Other than that, his rage was beautiful.

...However what concerned me were people in the comments immediately saying the game was broken instead of learning the field's capabilities. Oh well...

Ikr? The idea is to be hard, not insurmountable. And even if it was "insurmountable," us members of the Reborn community tend to find a way to beat all the odds snd win anyway. We destroyed a level 75 Garchomp with our parties in the 30s. We bludgened our way through the most annoying of leaders such as old Aya (I haven't fought the new one yet), Noel and his infernal Cinccino, and the original Serra. If you can't learn to persevere and succeed in the face of what Reborn has to offer, well, you clearly haven't been broken down yet. Reborn is designed to be difficult, a challenge without being unfair becuase there are so many ways to win, but in the end, it is there to tell you that you are nothing and if you wish to win you'll need to become a master of Pokemon. Field effects are around to make the game more interesting and they're easily nullified/exploited if you read the notes about them.

Him rage quitting at Charlotte is probably one of the best moments of this Let´s play tied with the battles against Luna.

...However what concerned me were people in the comments immediately saying the game was broken instead of learning the field's capabilities. Oh well...

I usually laugh at those comments, especially if they give him wrong tips.

Also am I the only one who enjoys it when people get wrecked by Bennets Yanmega and Scyther just before Luna?

• Developers

Him rage quitting at Charlotte is probably one of the best moments of this Let´s play tied with the battles against Luna.

I usually laugh at those comments, especially if they give him wrong tips.

Also am I the only one who enjoys it when people get wrecked by Bennets Yanmega and Scyther just before Luna?

I am a victim of that savage Yanmega :x.

Stupid thing getting the effect of ancientpower 2 times in a row.

Wait, he's reached charlotte? God I need to watch that.

Shofu's comedic value comes (for me at least) from the very core of humor: watching others fail at something in a pretty epic kind of way. On his insurgence playthrough, for example, in episode two he got every single party member paralyzed up to 9 times in a row by a Paras. His rant was so great that I actually come back sometimes just to watch that specific segment. In reborn, such moments include the Garhomp/Arceus/Steelix first meetings, whenever he wants the other characters to wait for him instead of leaving without him, and the Serra gym. Lol.

This guy has so many hard times with puzzles, and struggles so much against gym leaders and field effects despite being a good competitive player, that you can to some extent identify with him. Also, since nickaboo's playthrough were discontinued (as far as I'm aware) Shofu's playthrough was my main source of puzzle-solving information and item/pokemon locations before I actually found out there was a forum for this game.

Edited by zimvader42

Wait, you had to actually beat the Garchomp on top of Pyrous mountain before? Dang. I'd still be there if that happened.

And I found him to be quite funny at first, right until recently, when he was partnered up with Aya. Normally, Schadenfreude (German is the only language to describe in 1 word that you enjoy other people failing) has it's limits. Sure, walking past a ladder twice is still funny, then noticing the ladder and failing hard at reaching it still laughable, but when he walks by that ladder 8 FFIN TIMES I'm pretty much over it. I started talking to my screen after a while.

The next episode where he took a left at Route 4, pretty much finish it and then return to take the right side almost made me cry. A little later when he is litterally 2 SQUARES AWAY from seeing the Calcenon gate, and then he goes like: "Oh, I'd better go and heal up my Pokemon" I was about to set fire to the rain.

I personally would've went on with 2 Mons remaining, because continuing and maybe later fainting but knowing what's ahead (maybe a PokeCenter!) is better than having to walk all the way back. That's like reaching Vanhanen Castle but don't dare to go in. "Well, I know the road here now, better go back to Tanzan Cove to heal up my Pokemon!"

Now, of course some things happen and some people could relate to it, but after having played through that part myself, clearing route 4 without any of my mons fainting and I have to put some questionmarks behind his ability in well, anything, from training to type matchups to actually knowing stuff about the game....

Seeing him in Charlotte's gym on that first puzzle... Did he not play Emerald? This is exactly the same puzzle as the Sootopolis gym!

So yeah, I don't hate him, don't love him, and the funny part gets old quickly.

Edited by Helia

, and the Serra gym. Lol.

Speaking of Serra, I can already see him Raging against Blake considering it´s basically the same battle. He has Swampert to take care of the field (while one shotting his own teammate) who gets one shottet by Freeze Dry, Darmanitan with a weakend Flare Blitz, Scrafty, Magnezone, Guardevoir and Cofagrigus. Besides Darmanitan (he had Magmar against Serra) all the other Pokemons are the one he had for Serra. So if he manages to brute force his way through Charlotte Blake will probably be the next Roadblock.

Edited by Yazmat

Speaking of Serra, I can already see him Raging against Blake considering it´s basically the same battle. He has Swampert to take care of the field (while one shotting his own teammate) who gets one shottet by Freeze Dry, Darmanitan with a weakend Flare Blitz, Scrafty, Magnezone, Guardevoir and Cofagrigus. Besides Darmanitan (he had Magmar against Serra) all the other Pokemons are the one he had for Serra. So if he manages to brute force his way through Charlotte Blake will probably be the next Roadblock.

Actually considering Blake's team's speed, Swampert is out of commission before he can get an Earthquake off.

Not even sure if he'd realize that you can break the field with an earthquake...

Edited by Helia

Shofu should be an inspiration to us all. No matter how much you suck at Reborn, you can still win and get the job done, even without EV-Training and with underleveled Pokemon.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*THIS*

Edited by zimvader42

Shofu should be an inspiration to us all. No matter how much you suck at Reborn, you can still win and get the job done, even without EV-Training and with underleveled Pokemon.

I don´t think this will last. Either he will train other Pokemon or he will Rage quit the game. Charlotte is the 4th Gym Leader he got stuck on in sucsession. He had stuck before (against Kiki and Serra) but how will his brute force tactics work. Especially as we are nearing level 100. He also calls "broken" on any Gym Leader who has any kind of counter for their weaknesses or use other tactics against him (like Sigmunds Discharge + Volabsorb/Motordrive tactics)

I never thought I would enjoy yelling at the screen whenever he fails to notice an obvious path in a puzzle to be so much fun.

I don´t think this will last. Either he will train other Pokemon or he will Rage quit the game. Charlotte is the 4th Gym Leader he got stuck on in sucsession. He had stuck before (against Kiki and Serra) but how will his brute force tactics work. Especially as we are nearing level 100. He also calls "broken" on any Gym Leader who has any kind of counter for their weaknesses or use other tactics against him (like Sigmunds Discharge + Volabsorb/Motordrive tactics)

shofu never seemed to be the type to Rage quit, though. I can only hope he continues. He makes watching someone else playing (and failing on) the game so much fun.

I doubt it. Considering that the series was initially cancelled, resurrected by someone doing a playthrough of his game, and being gifted a Darmanitan by either the player or Amethyst herself. The series is very popular.

He reacts by calling it "broken", but even he knows it's not broken. He'll eventually beat Charlotte once he gets the team situation figured out.

Yeah, shofu isn't too good with fields... I'm looking forward to his next episode to see how he deals with Charlotte. I'm convinced that it's impossible to beat her with brute force alone, but I'd love to see him try to prove me wrong.

The rant on the Samson fight is amazing. "WHY DOES THAT HAPPEN??". He would've gotten it had he read the rules, but you know.

Edited by Antilegend

Well, from what I've read, no one on this thread seems to have mentioned that Typhlosion can't normally learn Energy Ball; which obviously caught him off-guard.. so in 14.5 it'll probably be removed.

Whenever the update came out, it made the field 2x harder.

Charlotte gave me no problems in E13, but when I tried again, I got massacred a few times.. oops.

Actually considering Blake's team's speed, Swampert is out of commission before he can get an Earthquake off.

Not even sure if he'd realize that you can break the field with an earthquake...

I mean, he would have noticed anyway because he went for the move when the battle started.

I doubt it. Considering that the series was initially cancelled, resurrected by someone doing a playthrough of his game, and being gifted a Darmanitan by either the player or Amethyst herself. The series is very popular.

He reacts by calling it "broken", but even he knows it's not broken. He'll eventually beat Charlotte once he gets the team situation figured out.

The rant on the Samson fight is amazing. "WHY DOES THAT HAPPEN??". He would've gotten it had he read the rules, but you know.

WHY DON'T MY MOVES ACTIVATE THE WHAMMO THING?

Yeah, shofu isn't too good with fields... I'm looking forward to his next episode to see how he deals with Charlotte. I'm convinced that it's impossible to beat her with brute force alone, but I'd love to see him try to prove me wrong.

archeops/flygon can solo charlotte with the brutal rock slide/eq, but of course he can't get them at this point of the game

Well, from what I've read, no one on this thread seems to have mentioned that Typhlosion can't normally learn Energy Ball;

I was not aware of this. I thought it was some TM-breeding thing like Ninetales and Chandelure can. Since they can I was like: Sure it's possible.

• Administrators

yeah i oops'd. it's been fixed for 14.5

I only just started watching his revival this morning but his series of battles against Samson is pretty much on point for what I aim for when I make gym battles. It took a few tries, and he won not by grinding stuff up, but by figuring out how to play against each of Samson's things and refining his strategy a bit each time.

...granted, I... do hope for people to pay attention to what's up with the field, but... hey.

He can get through those battles if he doesn't give up, and tries different things. That's generally what I expect of my players. So it's just a matter of his patience.

Well Ame, that what I meant with "brute force". He tries and tries and tries and no matter how many times he loses he battles again until he finds the way to secure his victory. I dont think thats a bad thing. I only needed 2 tries to beat charlotte. At my first battle she caught my Swampert off-guard with that solar-beam, but on second try i defeated her (she took 5 of my pokemon and my Electriwire had to deal with her two last pokemon alone. Rotom-H and one other pokemon but I cant remember which) but I only won because I completely prepared for that battle - mostly because I didnt want to lose all my money - and because I just hate losing. I REALLY HATE LOSING AGAINST AN NPC. So I was a bit upset when I beat Terra on my first try :/ even though I was prepared for a Double Battle xD <- because I prepared for a tough battle but it turned out differently.
Blaze however (that ice guy) gave me a real cool battle and I even lost against him a couple of times xD Oh and that Mewtwo <3 Just so OP. I needed at least 5-10 tries to win.

Edited by Kemotatnew

I just saw Shofu's most recent episode, and holy crap he got blown away. The only real chance I think he has is using trick room and to try his hand at earthquake spam.

His refusal to look up the field effects and instead exclaiming frustration with them is kind of grating though...

Edited by Mighty Kamina

what he needs to do is look at the Field Effects file and readjust his team accordingly. He doesn't have many pokemon in the PC that can help, so he'll have to do what I did and go the the Celestenine Cave, catch a Sealeo with Thick Fat, level it up to level 65, and teach it rain dance and surf. And that's just to start. But his Darmanitan can hit the fire Pokemon for good damage, so that would be good for a finishing attack at least.

Edited by fireflame