Today I Learned

Arkhi

TIL that 71 years before Rosa Parks, Ida B. Wells refused to give up her seat on the bus and was thrown off by a group of white men. She later cofounded the NAACP but was kept off the list of founders by W. E. B. Du Bois.

TIL how to make wintergreen and banana flavorings using acids and alcohols to form esters that give off the scent and have the taste of the two flavors. Granted they kind of contain sulfuric acid making them inedible, but it's whatever.

Today, in atomic chemistry, I learned that potassium is a metal and that it's in our food! Ugh, don't think I wanna eat food again!

Potassium is really good for you.

You also need metals like iron to function properly. Don't worry about the metals in your food. They're generally good for you.

If you want to be worried about something in your food be worried about the disgusting chemicals lots of processed foods are completely full of. They are much more likely to harm you.

Thank you! Agreed! Also, what was really cool to see is that when our teacher put the potassium in water with pH indicator, the potassium caught fire! Was pretty scary, but at the same time, it was so cool!

Edited by Cool Girl

Today i learned not even nature or otherworldly beings are safe from copyright laws.

"Compendium of U.S. Copyright Office Practices, Third Edition: The Office will not register works produced by nature, animals, or plants. Likewise, the Office cannot register a work purportedly created by divine or supernatural beings..."

True story.

Edited by Telos