Today I Learned

Arkhi

Today I learned that the president of the Pokemon company, Tsunekazu Ishihara, is apparently frequently misidentified as Satoshi Tajiri.

Pictured here is Ishihara (he was on the Direct today):

ishihara.jpg

whereas this is Tajiri:

Satoshi_Tajiri.jpg

I wonder why this happens? If you google Tajiri and search for images, you mostly get pictures of Ishihara.

Today I learned that Mark Haynes, aka Alvin Earthworm, aka the guy who makes Super Mario Brothers Z, is actually not too big a fan of Dragon Ball Z despite having his amazingly popular series based off of it. He calls Goku overrated, hates the Buu Saga with a burning passion, hates Dragon Ball Super with even more of a burning passion, and adamantly insists that Saitama would one-shot Goku despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Apparently when he started Super Mario Bros Z, he was a fan of the show, but has since realized it's problems, and continues the series as a way to take what he sees as a wasted potential of an anime, and make something better out of it.

Oh, and by the way, in case you haven't heard, he's brought the series back. He's rebooting it and intends to actually finish it this time. The first episode's already out. Go watch it. Now. As a matter of fact, here, I'll link you straight to it.

TIL that I really hate ping pong tournaments because they are way too loud and interfere with my trying to do my job, then again seeing as it was a company tournament it makes me a "sourpuss"

Edited by mwijsman

TIL that there is a planet somewhere out there that is so positioned in orbit propound its star that one half is constantly burning and the other half extremely frigid, but the thin periphery between the two is stable and is considered by some authorities to be one of the likelier places to be able to support earth-like life.

TIL that there is a planet somewhere out there that is so positioned in orbit propound its star that one half is constantly burning and the other half extremely frigid, but the thin periphery between the two is stable and is considered by some authorities to be one of the likelier places to be able to support earth-like life.

Do you know what its name is?

TIL that there's an exoplanet somehwere that is entirely carbon; it's essentially got a molten carbonic core, a thick crust of graphite (aka pencil stuff) and in between, a solid 2/3 mantle of diamond.

That's right, it's a planet of diamond. I shudder to imagine the impact it'll have on our economy if we could even bring a sackful of its stuff back. (Though it being several light-years away negates that possibility...)