Today I Learned

Arkhi

TIL Protect would have a 0% chance of activating only when used 77 times in a row, in Gen 3.

Who the hell uses protect 77 times in a row other than ladder scrubs

It's not actually zero, but the probability of protecting successfully 77 times in a row would be about 1.016x10-904 if my math is correct

But when you calculated that, did you consider the usual "After the 4th turn it's a 12.5% chance" or the sequence that doesn't make any sense in Gen 3?

Because I was talking about Gen 3 :T

Well I didn't calculate it as that. What I did was... like this, assuming each time the probability is cut in half.

1st (100%)

2 times (50%)

3 times (25%)*(50%)

4 times (12.5%*(25%)*(50%)

etc..

And I actually miscalculated in my original one, I forgot the first iteration is guaranteed, so... it turns out it's 1.54x10-881 to protect 77 times in a row.

Calculating out from the table on the wiki page in gen 3, getting to the 77th consecutive protect would be much better! 1.57x10-176

TIL Protect would have a 0% chance of activating only when used 77 times in a row, in Gen 3.

Who the hell uses protect 77 times in a row other than ladder scrubs

I'm just curious where the PP to use it that many times comes from. There were no abilities nor moves to my knowledge that could force a Leppa Berry onto a Mon using protect. Even if this is all theoretical ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TIL there's an archipelago called Socotro with its own unique plantlife due to no human intervention. Such as

220px-Socotra_dragon_tree.JPG

You say that like the lack of humans was the only factor.

Isolated places like that with unique things happen result from a lack of almost ANY outside interference, aka most organisms as well as humans. Organisms that somehow make it there adapt to what is available at the same time as they begin to adapt to each other.

I'm just curious where the PP to use it that many times comes from.

Gameshark? Pokémon Trainer "trainer"? Excessive amounts of PP Max bought in the 7th street?

Or it's just a theory. A GAME THE-- shot

TIL Today (Or tomorrow, if you live in the lamezone places) is the national Beetle day in Brazil.

The car, not the ins-- whatever. Okay then.

• Global Mods

You say that like the lack of humans was the only factor.

Isolated places like that with unique things happen result from a lack of almost ANY outside interference, aka most organisms as well as humans. Organisms that somehow make it there adapt to what is available at the same time as they begin to adapt to each other.

I was just summarizing what I read about it. Edited human intervention to outside interference for accuracy.

I was just summarizing what I read about it. Edited human intervention to outside interference for accuracy.

Sorry, just the biologist in me kicking out. We're responsible for a huge number of things, but when it comes to isolations, those are things we are probably the least responsible for.