Pokemon Generations

Azeria

Team Galactic used bombs on the lakes and AZ made the ultimate weapon.

Pretty sure the ultimate weapon would have been in a pre-gun era. The bombs though, idk. Voltorbs and Electrodes aren't native to sinnoh are they (I know they aren't btw)? You could argue they could use anything else with explosion, but then you're applying logic to a video game series that shouldn't have much anyway.

• Veterans

I don't think it's as much of 'Guns don't exist' instead of they're simply unnecessary when you have freaking Pokemon around. I mean, you've got fire breathing, electrocuting and Ice blasting creatures at your service here.

I was really disappointed.

Episode 1 was basically just another trailer for what the series should be about. Plus, it focused around pikachu, which is always a fail in my book.

Episode 2 had some upsides- like a swat team going in with guns and using pokemon to infiltrate. Oh wait, those weren't guns. Those were metal poles. They were going in to threaten a ganglord with police batons. Stupid much?

Did they really not know Giovanni was a gym leader? One of the only 8 leaders in the whole region/country?

Why do they ignore the in-game dialogue of the first gen to make it seem like he's running away and plotting more instead of going away on a new journey to rediscover what pokemon mean to him and the relationship people and pokemon should have? Or even not use the plot that was developed in the pokemon special comic? Giovanni just comes out as so generic, it just sucked to watch. AND we didn't get to see a pokemon battle. Plus, did you see how poorly Giovanni was animated at the end?

Honestly, this is just bad. Just all around crap so far.

Another thing Giovanni didn't leave Team Rocket to rediscover what pokemon mean to him, he left to grow stronger and was going to rejoin Team Rocket if Ethan/Lyra didn't beat him thanks to Celbi. Of course this information was in at least my case in a hard event to get for HGSS so I don't blame you for not knowing.

Pretty sure the ultimate weapon would have been in a pre-gun era. The bombs though, idk. Voltorbs and Electrodes aren't native to sinnoh are they (I know they aren't btw)? You could argue they could use anything else with explosion, but then you're applying logic to a video game series that shouldn't have much anyway.

Well there is logic in Pokemon it just isn't in the battle system.

I don't think it's as much of 'Guns don't exist' instead of they're simply unnecessary when you have freaking Pokemon around. I mean, you've got fire breathing, electrocuting and Ice blasting creatures at your service here.

Then why doesn't criminals and teams use them? At the very least they could injure the trainer's pokemon or the trainer.

rakky

Posted Today, 03:29 PM

There is actually a banned episode wich showed guns and a lot of them. guess why it's banned xD

Well that was in the anime, which doesn't even bother to try to be faithful to the games.

Edited by The Swordsman
  • Upvote 1

Then why doesn't criminals and teams use them? At the very least they could injure the trainer's pokemon or the trainer.

I don't think the damage to a pkmn would be that substansial. I mean skarmory flies at 190 mph according to a dex entry. And skarmory is not known for hitting that hard or being that fast. Tanking a bullet seems not much of a problem. For the trainer, pkmn and humans are very strongly related in the pkmn universe so you can't consider them like normal humans.

I don't think the damage to a pkmn would be that substansial. I mean skarmory flies at 190 mph according to a dex entry. And skarmory is not known for hitting that hard or being that fast. Tanking a bullet seems not much of a problem. For the trainer, pkmn and humans are very strongly related in the pkmn universe so you can't consider them like normal humans.

Than why would guns be invented?

The dragonair episode had a dude pointing a gun at ash's face.

Maelstrom your judgement seem kind of shortsighted. In the first gen games Giovanni says nothing about reform, in fact he leaves more out of shame than anything else since he got his butt handed to him by 10 year olds. HG/SS retconned it so that he left to get stronger but then got his ass kicked again and left to lord knows where. Special is its own canon so I'm not sure why you're expecting Generations to reflect it in any way.

The Viridian gym was closed most of the time and it's quite possible that Giovanni seized control of it in secret, and never disclosed his identity to the public. Hardly anyone in the gen 1 games seems to know he's the gym leader either, minus the gym disciples of course.

Edited by Monochrome_Complex

If anything, having a pokemon around means that guns and heavy weapons SHOULD have been invented. Because they're stronger and more dangerous than the wild animals we know irl. We wouldn't have been fighting just other humans for food and other resources, but pokemon as well.

Especially before pokeballs were invented. Before pokemon could be caught in pokeballs to be tamed, people would have had/wanted to defend themselves from predator pokemon or just random encounters, like running into an ursaring in the forest.

Geh, I could go on, but the real answer is that it's intended as a kid's fantasy world and they're trying to both steer away from gun issues and keep the focus on the action/violence done with pokemon. Apply realistic logic to much of anything in the games and it all falls apart. Which leaves us with something incredibly silly, but fun.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure people used spears, bows and perhaps even swords to defend themselves before capturing pokemon. Gunpowder in the real world didn't start being manufactured till the 1400s when the first cannons were used, which is admittedly much longer after animals were domesticated. Our animals use brute force to fight, so we needed to improve our war technology to dominate over other people of our species. In a world where those animals have special abilities, there's no need for us to improve, but for them to be trained better. A common wild animal at a low level will be easier to defeat and capture, but if you'd want to subdue a stronger one, you'd have to train the weaker one. That's why, in the pokemon world, the better trainer can climb the highest mountain, reach the deepest end of the ocean, defeat the mafia, and fight with wild animals so strong and rare, they are thought to be legendary.

If anything, having a pokemon around means that guns and heavy weapons SHOULD have been invented. Because they're stronger and more dangerous than the wild animals we know irl. We wouldn't have been fighting just other humans for food and other resources, but pokemon as well.

Especially before pokeballs were invented. Before pokemon could be caught in pokeballs to be tamed, people would have had/wanted to defend themselves from predator pokemon or just random encounters, like running into an ursaring in the forest.

Geh, I could go on, but the real answer is that it's intended as a kid's fantasy world and they're trying to both steer away from gun issues and keep the focus on the action/violence done with pokemon. Apply realistic logic to much of anything in the games and it all falls apart. Which leaves us with something incredibly silly, but fun.

Actually before pokeballs they used apricorns to capture pkmn which is a good indicator on where they were in terms of technology.

Isn't there a tale we read in books in Platinum and explains why people don't use weapons in the Pokemon world?

One of a knight that abandoned his sword or something?

EDIT: found it in the wikia:

EDIT 2: instead of posting a wall of text, I will just post the wiki link, kay?

Edited by Lord C
  • Upvote 1

• Veterans

The lack of full battles was to be expected tbh, however, I absolutely loved what they did show. Alakazam destroying Lapras? Amazing. The intro with the Elite Four was absolutely glorious too. Lorelei and Bruno were kinda eh but Agatha and Lance's sections more than made up for it. Gengar's entrance was pretty well animated and Agatha herself was horrifying. Fun fact, the pose Lance struck before Dragonite and Blastoise went for close combat was his GSC pose.

In the end, I found it to be a pretty good showing of how Blue must have felt challenging the E4 and his anxiousness while waiting for Red. He was sitting there, bored, twirling his Poke Ball, knowing that eventually, Red would come. 9/10. It was wonderful.

I very much enjoyed Episode 3. Again, I want more, but what we received was still decent enough. Gengar coming out of the Pokeball was a really neat animation. I wish that we could have seen that in an actual battle and how that translates there. The banter between Agatha and Blue was also interesting, given Agatha and Oak's previous relations. Blue has always been an interesting person to me, because he does always give his all and do his best to succeed, while still trying to achieve his dreams and his goals, even though, deep down, he knows that Red will always show up after him and best him. It's that sort of dedication in the face of loss that we would do well to emulate in our own lives.

Episode 3 was alright imo.

The elite 4 were kind of unpleasant (particularly Agatha), but I did like the way they were portrayed. Agatha's conversation about Oak was a highlight for sure.

I would've liked a bit more of the battles, but I can understand why they weren't there.

I'd go Episode 2 > Episode 3 > Episode 1.