Poison Monotype run of Reborn (Latest Defeated Leader: Amaria)

Jess

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CHAPTER 18: Death is only the beginning

OK, so, after a really, REALLY long (mandatory) hiatus, due to E17 taking ages to be released, it is time to get this one back into life! (@Awesome_One will be very happy about this)

After defeating Adrienn, we headed straight into the Tourmaline Desert via train, to find ourselves immersed in sand. And Alolan Exeggutors. At least I had my Flying Crobat, so I could'nt get lost in here! I went straight to the North, to find the Scrapyard. Met Bouffalant Bill and the others and headed straight for Titania's fairytale land!

But, before getting into action, let's welcome the new members of my team! I do remind you that all the 'mons I use are named after Greek mythological deities/monsters/people/heroes, so let's give a warm round of applause for...

salazzle.gif

Aphrodite, the Salazzle (Female)

Shiny: No

Bashful/Oblivious

• Sludge Wave
  • Flamethrower
  • Dragon Pulse/Encore
  • Nasty Plot

Name Origin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphrodite (Greek Goddess of love and anything sexual. Can't think of a more fitting name, honestly)

qwilfish.gif

Nereus, the Qwilfish (Female)

Relaxed/Intimidate

• Aqua Tail/Dive/Waterfall
  • Fell Stinger
  • Spikes
  • Destiny Bond

Name Origin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nereus (The oldest son of Pontus (the Sea) and Gaia (the Earth) in Greek mythology. Lived in the Aegean Sea and called "The Old Man of the Sea". Only now I noticed that my Qwilfish is Female and not Male. Well... Oops? I promote the LGBT rights in my run via this!)

As we all know, Lin had followed us in Titania's cold, hostile magical fairytale castle. And she kinda put me in bed to sleep. I solve a fairytale-oriented puzzle (not really a puzzle), and climb on the poison ivy. Meet up with Titania and she hands me the Sapphire Bracelets for save-keeping, until she has dealt with Lin.

We advance deeper, where we eventually have to battle versus a Zekrom statue which is an actual Zekrom (Galio, you?). 

VS ZEKROM

The 'mons that participated in the battle vs Zekrom were: 

Spoiler

nidoking.gif

Colcheum, the Nidoking (Male)

Shiny: No (Item: Black Sludge)

Brave/Sheer Force

• Rock Smash
  • Earth Power
  • Brick Break
  • Megahorn

vileplume.gif

Prometheus, the Vileplume (Male)

Shiny: No (Item: Pixie Plate)

Modest/Chlorophyll

• Giga Drain
  • Moonblast
  • Toxic
  • Grassy Terrain

qwilfish.gif

Relaxed/Intimidate

• Aqua Tail
  • Fell Stinger
  • Spikes
  • Destiny Bond

salazzle.gif

Bashful/Oblivious

• Sludge Wave
  • Flamethrower
  • Dragon Pulse
  • Nasty Plot

Zekrom exchanges Earth Powers with Nidoking, then Nidoking goes down to a second Earth Power. Then Prometheus, my Vileplume goes in and is immediately OHKO'ed by Outrage (no Moonblast today). Then, Nereus, my Qwilfish Intimidates Zekrom, survives the second round of Outrage and Destiny Bonds Zekrom. Zekrom then KO'es Qwilfish, but I played in Community release, where Destiny Bond was bugged, and Zekrom didn't go down too. So, Aphrodite took over, outsped Zekrom and finished it off with a field-boosted Dragon Pulse.

Soon after, Lin threatens me to get the Sapphire Bracelets, Titania kills her (?) from behind with her Aegislash, and happily we go forward to have our Gym Battle. In my first try, I took out (mostly thanks to Nidoking and Salazzle) all of Titania's team. Then Aegislash came in. I had 4 of my 'mons KO'ed (Nereus the Qwilfish, Cerastes the Arbok, Prometheus the Vileplume and Hemera the Skuntank) and only Aphrodite the Salazzle and Colcheum the Nidoking were not fainted. 

So, balance happens. Aegislash comes in. Its held Magical Seed activates, giving it a +1 in Attack and a free King's Shield. King's Shield is boosted by the field as well and if I touch it now I get -2 Sp. Attack and Attack. I also can't touch Aegislash with status moves either while it has King's Shield active. RIP Taunt/Haze/Will O' Wisp strategies. I use Nasty Plot with Salazzle, but of course Aegislash uses Swords Dance. Which is ALSO boosted by the field and gives another +3 in Aegislash's Attack. In the next turn, I go for Flamethrower, which will surely OHKO, but Aegislash also has a priority move! Shadow Sneak! It triggers Stance Change, which is mother-fuckin' ALSO boosted by the field, giving it YET ANOTHER +1 in Attack. You get it? +5 stages in Attack before I even had the chance to touch it! WITH ANYTHING! Status, Special OR Physical moves! And, of course, it just OHKO'es both Salazzle and Nidoking...

As I said in a discussion I had with @FairFamily, this is a bit over the top, even for Reborn standards... Anyways, check the Zekrom fight and the first (failed) attempt vs Titania in the following video...

Spoiler

VS TITANIA

This defeat only made me clench my fists and get prepared better to woop Titania's arrogant ass! After a couple attempts, here's what my team (the winning combination) looked like!

Spoiler

qwilfish.gif

Shiny: No (Item: Magical Seed)

Relaxed/Intimidate

• Aqua Tail
  • Fell Stinger
  • Spikes
  • Destiny Bond

vileplume.gif

Prometheus, the Vileplume (Male)

Shiny: No (Item: Amplified Rock)

Modest/Chlorophyll

• Giga Drain
  • Moonblast
  • Toxic
  • Grassy Terrain

skuntank.gif

Hemera, the Skuntank (Female)

Hasty/Aftermath

• Night Slash
  • Flame Burst
  • Play Rough
  • Acid Spray

salazzle.gif

Shiny: No (Item: Charcoal)

Bashful/Oblivious

• Flame Burst
  • Flamethrower
  • Encore
  • Nasty Plot

nidoking.gif

Colcheum, the Nidoking (Male)

Shiny: No (Item: Wise Glasses)

Brave/Sheer Force

• Rock Smash
  • Earth Power
  • Brick Break
  • Megahorn

toxicroak.gif

Artemis, the Toxicroak (Female)

Shiny: No (Item: Magical Seed)

Adamant/Dry Skin

• Poison Jab
  • Taunt
  • Drain Punch
  • Sucker Punch

The winning battle starts at 19:30 of the following video. Enjoy! :) 

Spoiler

Strategy worked out really well in this one. Intimidate by Nereus (she also set up 2 layers of Spikes) on Alolan Sandslash helped Prometheus barely tank an Icicle Crash and set up the Amplified Rock-boosted Grassy Terrain. Then, Hemera the Skuntank set it on fire with Flame Burst and finished off Sandslash (I couldn't bring in Salazzle for this because Hail was still up, so Slush Rush Sandslash would outspeed Aphrodite and OHKO her with Earthquake, which is 4x effective vs Poison/Fire plus I didn't wanna use Air Balloon). Salazzle handled easily Excadrill (its Magical Seed didn't activate in a blazing field), Mega-Scizor and Klefki (which accepted its fate and didn't even try to Prankster-Thunder Wave the flaming lizard) while making Titania waste her healing items. Empoleon finished off Salazzle with Terrain returning to normal (normal my ass, this is OP as fuck), but Colcheum the Nidoking easily finished off Empoleon, making Titania waste her last Ultra Potion too (the less she has for Aegislash, the better). Then, I let Aegislash waste its Magical Seed vs Hemera the Skuntank. It OHKO'ed her, but suffered some Aftermath damage. I let Aegislash finish off Nidoking too, in order for Hail to add some more damage-over-time, and I sent in Artemis, my Toxicroak. She had a free King's Shield and +1 in Attack by her own Magical Seed. I Sucker Punch'ed and easily took out the beast!

Victory!

Pity that Lin is alive, so we had not much time to enjoy our 15th Badge, the so-called Alloy Badge or our brand new Flash Cannon TM. Lin spews out some bs about me and her working together, and threatens Titania about Amaria's life. So, off we are to Fiore Mansion, with the Sapphire Bracelets still in our possession. I wonder for how long...

Till the next time, enjoy everyone! ;):) 

2 minutes ago, Awesome_One said:

Yay! This is back! :D I love seeing Poison Types killing the Steel Types. Congrats on your victories!

Thank you! :D 

Hope you will enjoy these videos and the post overall! It was fun to face Steel types with Poison types, knowing I can't touch them with my main STAB!

It worked out much better (and easier) than I thought though! James would be proud of me! xD

• Veterans

Clean strategy. Did you not pick up the Bulk Up tm in the desert though? Could've ended up being extremely useful on Toxicroak here, and given it a free win against Amaria to boot.

Congrats for defeating Titania!

I don't know how well Battle Armor Drapion would've worked, especially holding Magic Seed. It resists Shadow Sneak, not to mention you can use Knock Off or Night Slash for dealing super-effective damage on Aegislash.

With that said, your strategy utilizing Grassy Terrain and fire was definitely neat.

Also, where's Poison-type Silvally smh

14 minutes ago, Azeria said:

Clean strategy. Did you not pick up the Bulk Up tm in the desert though? Could've ended up being extremely useful on Toxicroak here, and given it a free win against Amaria to boot.

Thank you! :) 

LOL, even now, after defating Amaria, Bulk Up isn't in my inventory. This desert is huge and I keep missing areas. Some day I will properly explore all of it. Maybe I'll manage to find the 3rd location of the Oasis as well, in order to make Mirage Tower appear!

Also, duh me, I didn't even think of using Dry Skin Toxicroak vs Amaria. I defeated her in both Singles and Doubles, cause it was in Public release and I wanted to check the changes between this and community. And Toxicroak was benched for both battles. Could've been so much easier, damn! :D 

2 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

Congrats for defeating Titania!

I don't know how well Battle Armor Drapion would've worked, especially holding Magic Seed. It resists Shadow Sneak, not to mention you can use Knock Off or Night Slash for dealing super-effective damage on Aegislash.

With that said, your strategy utilizing Grassy Terrain and fire was definitely neat.

Also, where's Poison-type Silvally smh

Thanks! :) 

I had a Sniper Drapion in my roster, which has literally saved me many times (especially vs Radomus). To be honest, I didn't think of getting a Defense boost by Battle Armor. Also, I still don't really get how Magical Seed works in this field. Which stat of you does it boost? I swear I've seen someone getting a Defense boost by it as well, so I reckoned it boosted the higher stat. But then, my Qwilfish got an Attack boost while it had its Defense as its highest stat (post EV training).

Also, I consider Silvally a Normal type when it comes to monotypes :P 

1 minute ago, Jess said:

I had a Sniper Drapion in my roster, which has literally saved me many times (especially vs Radomus). To be honest, I didn't think of getting a Defense boost by Battle Armor. Also, I still don't really get how Magical Seed works in this field. Which stat of you does it boost? I swear I've seen someone getting a Defense boost by it as well, so I reckoned it boosted the higher stat. But then, my Qwilfish got an Attack boost while it had its Defense as its highest stat (post EV training).

Battle Armor and Shell Armor ability grants Defense buff upon entering. Magical Seeds give Attack buff and one-turn King's Shield. One of the reasons why they're so good imo is that you get the buff and then revenge kill one of Titania's mons, since it can't do anything to you because of buffed King's Shield.

As for the oasis, there are 2 spots it can appear on both left and right side of the desert. I think I still have the screenshots, if you need any help with that.

• Veterans
4 minutes ago, Jess said:

LOL, even now, after defating Amaria, Bulk Up isn't in my inventory. This desert is huge and I keep missing areas. Some day I will properly explore all of it. Maybe I'll manage to find the 3rd location of the Oasis as well, in order to make Mirage Tower appear!

Also, duh me, I didn't even think of using Dry Skin Toxicroak vs Amaria. I defeated her in both Singles and Doubles, cause it was in Public release and I wanted to check the changes between this and community. And Toxicroak was benched for both battles. Could've been so much easier, damn! :D 

So much easier is an understatement tbh. In my third playthrough, I had a Toxicroak completely 6-0 her straight from the lead because not only did she keepvolt switching out into things that could not outdamage the INSANE amounts of healing Toxicroak was getting, it was also easily able to set up and just Drain Punch everything down. It's a free win.

Hoping you found an interesting way to beat her outside of standard "Click Sludge Wave and watch her die."

6 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

Battle Armor and Shell Armor ability grants Defense buff upon entering. Magical Seeds give Attack buff and one-turn King's Shield. One of the reasons why they're so good imo is that you get the buff and then revenge kill one of Titania's mons, since it can't do anything to you because of buffed King's Shield.

As for the oasis, there are 2 spots it can appear on both left and right side of the desert. I think I still have the screenshots, if you need any help with that.

Yes, Magical Seeds are pretty broken in that field. Mostly because King's Shield is freaking OP there, not so much for the Attack boost. If King's Shield wasn't protecting even from status move, it would be better and more balanced imo. I've seen people face Titania with all 6 of their 'mons holding a Magical Seed, it's pretty ridiculous xD

When it comes to the Oasis, that would certainly help me, if you can PM these to me, I'd be forever grateful! :) 

2 minutes ago, Azeria said:

So much easier is an understatement tbh. In my third playthrough, I had a Toxicroak completely 6-0 her straight from the lead because not only did she keepvolt switching out into things that could not outdamage the INSANE amounts of healing Toxicroak was getting, it was also easily able to set up and just Drain Punch everything down. It's a free win.

Hoping you found an interesting way to beat her outside of standard "Click Sludge Wave and watch her die."

I did click Sludge Wave a lot, but she countered it with Swampert's Whirlpool a lot, so it turned into a switching battle to gain momentum. Her Dive after she cleared the waters hurt a lot and she turned out to be quite annoying. Not a tough win, more like an annoying win.

• Veterans
2 minutes ago, Jess said:

Yes, Magical Seeds are pretty broken in that field. Mostly because King's Shield is freaking OP there, not so much for the Attack boost. If King's Shield wasn't protecting even from status move, it would be better and more balanced imo. I've seen people face Titania with all 6 of their 'mons holding a Magical Seed, it's pretty ridiculous xD

When it comes to the Oasis, that would certainly help me, if you can PM these to me, I'd be forever grateful! :) 

I did click Sludge Wave a lot, but she countered it with Swampert's Whirlpool a lot, so it turned into a switching battle to gain momentum. Her Dive after she cleared the waters hurt a lot and she turned out to be quite annoying. Not a tough win, more like an annoying win.

I'd have expected you to counter that by having the main Sludge Waver be Toxicroak itself(Since he DOES learn it), especially having the Taunt TM be rotateable. She can remove the field sure, but Toxicroak heals so much and can easily put it back up. Only thing she has that truly scares him out is Kingdra.

1 minute ago, Azeria said:

I'd have expected you to counter that by having the main Sludge Waver be Toxicroak itself(Since he DOES learn it), especially having the Taunt TM be rotateable. She can remove the field sure, but Toxicroak heals so much and can easily put it back up. Only thing she has that truly scares him out is Kingdra.

True, but she was quite weak anyways. I didn't really need to counter it. She needed more 'mons with Whirlpool or something with Blizzard to counter such stuff effectively. Plus, Sludge Wave on Toxicroak isn't something I like, because it's physical. I know it would be just situational for this battle, but I'd not like it. Regardless, there were a couple easy battles. As I said, annoying, because she tries to stall a bit with Dive and Whirlpools, but still, not very hard.

1 hour ago, Jess said:

Thank you! :D 

Hope you will enjoy these videos and the post overall! It was fun to face Steel types with Poison types, knowing I can't touch them with my main STAB!

It worked out much better (and easier) than I thought though! James would be proud of me! xD

Haha. He would. Btw, 2 random things that have nothing to do with this.

1. I just found out that James is apparently 15 years old. So that's something I should watch out for in my James Reborn Run. Haha.

2. I can't wait for E 27 on my James Run to come! It's gonna be CRAZY!

7 hours ago, Yagami said:

That was a really cool idea.Usage of different strategies might be the main reason I like reading monotype runs.

Well, that's the reason I like doing monoruns myself! I'm glad you enjoy it!

CHAPTER 19: Love and Sorrow

Well, after the (quite weird) events in Titania's Gym, we fly off to Fiore Mansion in order to protect Amaria. Titania somehow reaches the place before me (still no clue how her Skarmory flied faster than my Crobat) and even had time to fight with Amaria and send her swimming in the deep chambers of her maze-Gym!

So, I had to go find her, thrice, and convince her to battle me. My badges are important, God damn it! I am the Champion-to-be (by Adrienn's vote)!

After I find her, she returns to the arena, talks with Titania, who will (as always) stay and protect her (because, as she proved vs Solaris, Amaria needs protection...). Honestly, I think Titania has superiority complex and thinks people can't survive without her POWAH, and Amaria has inferiority complex and thinks she is weak, while she isn't. Whatever, this situation is stupid and I want out ASAP.

Spoiler

VS AMARIA

So, I defeated Amaria in both formats (Singles and Doubles), just out of curiosity to see how her team changed between community release (where I played my Bug mono), and public release (where I faced her in my Poison mono). The winning tries start in the following video:

Singles: At 11:30

Doubles: At 24:25

The team I chose to face Amaria (in both formats) was the following:

Spoiler

dragalge.gif

Oceanus, the Dragalge (Male)

Shiny: Yes (Item: Black Sludge)

Timid/Adaptability

• Sludge Wave
  • Surf
  • Dragon Pulse
  • Icy Wind

qwilfish.gif

Shiny: No (Item: Metronome)

Relaxed/Intimidate

• Dive
  • Fell Stinger
  • Spikes
  • Destiny Bond

tentacruel.gif

Charybdis, the Tentacruel (Male)

Shiny: Yes (Item: Metronome)

Relaxed/Liquid Ooze

• Waterfall
  • Surf
  • Icy Wind
  • Sludge Wave

crobat.gif

Nephele, the Crobat (Female)

Shiny: No (Item: Flying Gem)

Adamant/Infiltrator

• Acrobatics
  • Cross Poison
  • Leech Life
  • Fly

victreebel.gif

Dryad, the Victreebel (Female)

Shiny: Yes (Item: Assault Vest)

Lonely/Gluttony

• Leaf Storm
  • Leaf Blade
  • Knock Off
  • Nature Power

muk.gif

Medea, the Muk (Female)

Shiny: Yes (Item: Black Sludge)

Timid/Sticky Hold

• Gunk Shot
  • Brick Break
  • Thunder Punch
  • Acid Armor

Overall, the singles battle took two tries (I used Elemental Seeds in my first try and then poisoned the field with Sludge Waves. This turned my 'mons in pure Water types and badly poisoned them. Oops?) and it ended up as a battle between me and Amaria's efforts to counter my Sludge Wave tactic of poisoning the water with Swampert's Whirlpool. The held items I used were also a bit ambiguous, since I hadn't noticed I had 2 more Black Sludges held by 'mons in PC to give to Tentacruel and Qwilfish (second oops?). Thank God I had Intimidate on Nereus the Qwilfish to weaken Swampert and insane bulk with Oceanus the Dragalge, Charybdis the Tentacruel and Medea the Muk. I didn't even have to bring in Muk and Crobat in the singles battle, but in the Doubles I actually used all my 'mons.

The Double battle took also 2 tries, since I didn't take under consideration that Sludge Wave gains Water typing in Murkwater field, so I ended up healing Vaporeon and Seismitoad due to their Water Absorb (third oops?). I guess I was quite sleepy when I was playing! But anyways, second try went smoothly!

By the way, I still don't know why all non-poison 'mons didn't get badly poisoned as soon as they entered the field and only did when they turned into pure water types by an Elemental Seed, so feel free to enlighten me!

VIDEO BATTLE COVERAGE COMMENCE!

Spoiler

With that, I earned my 16th Badge, the Torrent Badge, and the TM for Scald! Also, Rock Climb is now enabled outside of battle, but not until E18 (damn)... After that, Amaria vanishes again, Titania whines for her fate, as Julitania (Julia imitating Titania) states quite elaborately (THANK YOU JULIA!!!) and we Fly to Calcenon after Julia's instruction to go blow stuff up with our Weezing. I do believe that this is the appropriate strategy now. I'm quite tilted!

Anyways, as always, feel free to comment, (positively or negatively). I love feedback!

And, since this is the end of E17 material, we will pick this up again when E18 is released.

Till then, enjoy everyone! ;):) 

Nice work! Nice use of Acid Spray back there.

I guess that in the Murkwater Field the Elemental Seeds not only apply Soak but also Poison (for whatever reason) to the user, so that's why only some of her mons got poisoned.

I believe (because I'm not entirely sure) that when Swampert was diving you could've used Acid Armor, since it also gets buffed in Murkwater. Correct me if I'm wrong but Acrobatics is stronger without Flying Gem. Toxicroak with Dry Skin is super good against Amaria which is why you didn't use one

2 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Acrobatics is stronger without Flying Gem.

It is stronger cause of the order the game checks for power buffs. In this case you use accrobatics and flying gem activates THEN accrobatics checks to see if you have an item and you don't cause the gem was consumed so it gets both buffs.

28 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

Nice work! Nice use of Acid Spray back there.

Thank you! Yes, throughout the run it has been very very useful, so I'm keeping it on at least one 'mon of mine! 

29 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

I guess that in the Murkwater Field the Elemental Seeds not only apply Soak but also Poison (for whatever reason) to the user, so that's why only some of her mons got poisoned.

Ohhh, thanks for the explanation, I never considered the possibility that it is what Elemental Seed does in Murkwater Field! So it's similar to Desert field, where it give stat boost in 3 categories, but applies Sand Tomb on user. Kinda like a double-edged sword (unlike the OP Magical seed on Fairytale Field that has no drawback). I find it more balanced than Magical Seed!

31 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

I believe (because I'm not entirely sure) that when Swampert was diving you could've used Acid Armor, since it also gets buffed in Murkwater. Correct me if I'm wrong but Acrobatics is stronger without Flying Gem. Toxicroak with Dry Skin is super good against Amaria which is why you didn't use one

Yes, indeed, I could've gone into Muk and Acid Armor'ed up... I didn't even know that Acid Armor is buffed in Murkwater, only found out now that you told me and checked Field notes! 

When it comes to Acrobatics, like @St0mpa said, the game checks for a held item after it gets consumed, so Acrobatics has 110 Power AND gains the Flying Gem boost!

Artemis, my Toxicroak has Dry Skin too! Now, why I didn't use it... Well, good question! I thought of adding it in, (I almost did, it's recorded on video at some point), but I thought it would be an overkill... Battle was more challenging this way! :) 

Seeing how battles came after winning them, I'd probably replace my Victreebel if I played that again. Grass coverage is great vs Water types, but Victreebel couldn't (can't in general) really tank hits for the life of it...

3 minutes ago, Jess said:

Ohhh, thanks for the explanation, I never considered the possibility that it is what Elemental Seed does in Murkwater Field! So it's similar to Desert field, where it give stat boost in 3 categories, but applies Sand Tomb on user. Kinda like a double-edged sword (unlike the OP Magical seed on Fairytale Field that has no drawback). I find it more balanced than Magical Seed!

What kind of drawback there should be for using Magical Seed in your opinion?

I don't remember which seed it was (Telluric, I think) but for instance both Rocky Field and Mountain Top also have drawbacks: the former applies Stealth Rock damage and the latter lowers Accuracy in addition to boosting Attack.

5 minutes ago, Jess said:

Artemis, my Toxicroak has Dry Skin too! Now, why I didn't use it... Well, good question! I thought of adding it in, (I almost did, it's recorded on video at some point), but I thought it would be an overkill... Battle was more challenging this way! :) 

Made it all the more odd at first, but knowing you, you prefer to do things what one could consider "the hard way". Makes it more rewarding in the end, though.