Bug Monotype run of Reborn (Latest Defeated Leader: Amaria)

Jess

CHAPTER 34: Here comes your Angel... ft. the Pixies!

After having a whole load of bad thought, we have decided that we must keep going, or the sacrifice of all our friends and beloved frienemies will be in vain. So, I go to Adrienn's Gym at Coral Ward and visit xem... Turns out xe wants to battle us, and will support us as much as xe can, because xe thinks that the only person capable of becoming the next champion of the Reborn Region is... us! Yes, lil old Angel, who started as a newbie and considered Bugs to be weak... I am stunned, but agree to take up this role... Then, Adrienn asks us to recruit some volunteers to work in the new works of the City Restoration Project, to which we readily agree!  So, without further ado, we hit the road... And...

Spoiler

I still don't know which one I missed, but maybe someone didn't appear in front of the Grand Hall because it was raining :(.

Anyways, when we return to the Gym, Adrienn gives us the Wise Glasses as a gift, and takes xyr place at the other end of the pixie arena!

VS ADRIENN

(Anyone who is unwilling to read the fight description can just hop right into the following video!)

The team I decided to use for the fight had a couple surprises and consisted of:

forretress.gif

Valor, the Forretress (Male)

Careful/Sturdy (Item: Iron Ball)

Toxic Spikes

Gyro Ball

Payback

Spikes

durant.gif

Humbleness, the Durant (Male)

Jolly/Swarm (Item: Steel Gem)

Iron Head

Crunch

X-Scissor

Dig

volcarona.gif

Passion, the Volcarona (Male)

Timid/Flame Body (Item: Wide Lens)

Heat Wave

Bug Buzz

Hurricane

Quiver Dance

escavalier.gif

Arwen, the Escavalier (Female)

Hasty/Swarm (Item: Metal Coat)

Double-Edge

X-Scrissor

Iron Head

Swords Dance

beedrill.gif

Majesty, the Beedrill (Female)

Jolly/Sniper (Item: Scope Lens)

Twineedle

Poison Jab

Fell Stinger

Focus Energy

ariados.gif

Happiness, the Ariados (Female)

Naive/Sniper (Item: Scope Lens)

Sticky Web

Sucker Punch

Cross Poison

Shadow Sneak

Adrienn starts with Gardevoir ("Kailen") and Granbull ("Eolande") and I start with Valor, my Forretress and Humbleness, my Durant. Granbull Intimidates both my pokemon, which isn't good for physical attackers. My Durant goes first and goes for a Steel Gem-boosted Iron Head on Gardevoir, which is also critical and OHKO'es Gardevoir! Granbull Plays Rough with my Steel ant and deals 1/3 of Durant's HP as damage, and Valor Gyro Balls the Granbull, dealing roughly 25% of its HP.

Then Adrienn sends in Togekiss ("Orin"). Humbleness deals half of Togekiss' HP with an Iron Head, but then goes down to a Field-boosted Aura Sphere by Togekiss... Granbull's Earthquake only scratches Valor, whose Gyro Ball gets Togekiss in red HP.

Then, I send in Arwen, my Escavalier. I know Arwen has crazy Defences, so I estimate that I will get away with a Swords Dance. Adrienn Hyper Potions the Togekiss and Granbull Earthquakes. The EQ does nothing to Forretress (again), but unfortunately, it crits Arwen and gets my Escavalier to half HP. Then, Arwen Swords Dances and Valor Gyro Balls Togekiss to half HP again.

In the next turn, Togekiss Ancient Powers Arwen, and the Granbull Earthquakes again, finally getting Valor to yellow HP (!), but knocking out Escavalier, without it having the chance to Iron Head Togekiss to oblivion... Turns out that the critical hits are not going to let Arwen do work... Luxray's Crunch in the fight vs DJ Arclight at Chapter 32, now this... :( But at least Valor Gyro Balls Togekiss again into red HP!

I send in Happiness, my Ariados. Adrienn Hyper Potions again (Jesus Christ, pls stahp) his Togekiss, giving my Ariados the chance to destroy Granbull with a critical Cross Poison. Then, Forretress Gyro Balls yet again the Togekiss, getting it down to half HP again (is this deja vu that I'm feeling?).

Mawile ("Orphne") comes in then, applying second Intimidate on Valor, and a first one on Happiness. It then Mega evolves. Togekiss Psyshocks my Ariados and OHKO'es it, then Mega Mawile gets Valor in red HP with an Iron Head, as I realise that Gyro Ball's PP has expired (why didn't I get PP UPs???), so Forretress sets up one layer of Spikes. Oh well, maybe it's better this way. Now with -2 in Attack, Forretress would've done nothing to Togekiss, even with Gyro Ball.

I send in Passion, my Volcarona. Mega Mawile tries to Sucker Punch my Valor in vain (I picked Spikes), then Passion Heat Waves both Mawile and Togekiss to about 30% of their HP. Finally, Forretress goes down to an Aura Sphere by Togekiss (Thank you for not Ancient Powering my Volcarona, thank you God!).

In the next turn, I send in Majesty, my Beedrill, who debuts in this run in such a fight! Big moment for my lil (quite menacing) shiny bee! Passion Heat Waves again, finishing off the Mega Mawile and getting Togekiss in critical HP again. Then, my Beedrill outspeeds Togekiss and uses Poison Jab, which gets weakened by Togekiss' Kebia Berry, but this isn't enough to save it from fainting! Only 2 to go!

Adrienn's Florges ("Rhyannon") and Whimsicott ("Pryderi") come in and suffer some damage because of the one layer of Spikes. Passion Heat Waves Whimsicott to red HP, but does literally NOTHING to the Specially Defensive beast that resembles a flower. Then, Whimsicott Dazzling Gleams and does also NOTHING to both Beedrill and Volcarona. Majesty's Poison Jab focuses Florges' weak Defence and gets it down to red HP too! Then, Florges uses Dazzling Gleam too, which is tanked easily by Volcarona, but gets Beedrill in critical HP.

In the next turn, Adrienn Hyper Potions Whimsicott now (HOW MANY OF THOSE THINGS YOU HAVE, JESUS). Then Passion Heat Waves Whimsicott into red yet again (!), but is unable to finish off Florges, which was already in red HP (this thing is indeed a beast). However, Beedrill's Poison Jab finishes of Florges, leaving only a severely weakened Whimsicott!

In the final turn, another Heat Wave by Passion KO'es Whimsicott and grants me the VICTORY!!!

And the TM for Dazzling Gleam, together with the Amaranth Badge (our 14th badge) which increases the level cap to Lv.85.

Battle recording!

Spoiler

And, with misty eyes :(, this also concludes Episode 16 of Pokemon Reborn, which is the latest update so far! 

I will probably create a new topic with suggestions and usefulness of Bug types for other ambitious monotypers and speak out my opinions about this (wonderful so far) experience I lived with those little buggers! See what I did there? :D 

And OF COURSE, when Episode 17 is released (Ame PLS), I will update my run here! 

Until then, feel free to tell me your impressions, give me any feedback or just chat with me through this topic!

And never forget to enjoy yourselves! :);) 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tacuara said:

Isn't Whimsicott supposed to always use Tailwind first turn? 

Apparently not! xD 

Spoiler

If you watched the video, you'd see it took a while for me to pick who I'd Poison Jab with Beedrill. Because, if Whimsicott used Prankster Tailwind (altering Field to Fairytale Field), then Heat Wave would gain Dragon typing and do absolutely nothing to both Whimsicott and Florges. But if that was the case and I Poison Jabbed Whimsicott (4x effective, OHKO for sure), then I'd have the chance to double team Florges, even set up Quiver Dances with Volcarona, if it came to this. Luckily, I guessed correctly and it all worked out easily!

Edited by Jess

9 minutes ago, Jess said:

Apparently not! xD 

Hide contents

If you watched the video, you'd see it took a while for me to pick who I'd Poison Jab with Beedrill. Because, if Whimsicott used Prankster Tailwind (altering Field to Fairytale Field), then Heat Wave would gain Dragon typing and do absolutely nothing to both Whimsicott and Florges. But if that was the case and I Poison Jabbed Whimsicott (4x effective, OHKO for sure), then I'd have the chance to double team Florges, even set up Quiver Dances with Volcarona, if it came to this. Luckily, I guessed correctly and it all worked out easily!

Yea, i was quite surprised by that move. Was expecting you to go for poisan jab on Whimsicott, because it would have taken him out for sure, e just use some random move with volcarona, the field after tailwind is problably the only one volcarona can't just detroy everything. 

11 minutes ago, Tacuara said:

Yea, i was quite surprised by that move. Was expecting you to go for poisan jab on Whimsicott, because it would have taken him out for sure, e just use some random move with volcarona, the field after tailwind is problably the only one volcarona can't just detroy everything. 

Yes, that would've been the safe way to play it. One good thing with recordings is that you find later possible flaws in your strategy! And this was a possible flaw in mine, even though I'd call it more like an "ALL IN" moment. Win or lose. And I made this decision because I didn't know how much damage Florges would deal... Beedrill isn't famous for its Special Defence, or HP and the field maybe would allow Florges to oneshot it, even with Dazzling Gleam (Florges also has Hidden Power Ground, which would be neutral vs Beedrill). And I didn't want to waste a turn of dealing a good chunk of Florges' HP with Poison Jab. Because, afterwards, in a 1v1 of Florges vs Volcarona, I honestly don't think I'd win it, even with 2 Quiver Dances (would be the maximum amount I'd be able to set up before getting KO'ed by Hidden Power Ground...). Plus, Adrienn had a Hyper Potion left. I'd really not like it if he used it on Florges in a 1v1 with Volcarona! xD As, I said I took a risk. And it paid off! ;) Phew!

Edited by Jess

1 hour ago, Revan said:

So, give us your thoughts on the run, Jess. What did you like/dislike? What would you do differently, and why?

Hmmmm, let me think...

1) I liked how especially underrated Pokemon like Butterfree, Vivillon, Beedrill, Shedinja, Vespiquen and Ariados can cope especially well when the appropriate strategy is made.

2) I also enjoyed trying to develop strategies to make up for the lack of bulk/speed/damage in various circumstances. 

3) My favourite part was scrolling through Bulbapedia to find movesets, and considering every single possibility to give me even a small opening on the opponent's team. e.g. Battle vs Charlotte. I thought it would be hell. I studied her well and knew what she does by my previous runs and youtube playthroughs. Then, I found a way to counter it. It felt like a walk in the park.

4) One thing I'd d same EVER SINGLE TIME is not ask for tips about beating a boss from anyone in the forums. I don't know... Maybe I'm weird. But I'd feel that it wasn't my victory, if someone else had suggested the strategy.

5) I enjoyed trying to do things differently with regards to my previous runs. I had used a Compound Eyes/Sleep Powder/Quiver Dance Butterfree before with great success. It is definitely the best (and most mainstream) build for Butterfree. But now I opted for a Tinted Lens/Tailwind/Electroweb support, giving less emphasis on building it to sweep. And I admit that it saved me in numerous circumstances. Especially vs Cal at Pyrous Mountain, it actually turned around an impossible fight. Tinted Lens damage boost finished fights that would've been lost otherwise.

6) I also liked trying my powers by doing my first ever Monotype run (in general) in a game like Pokemon Reborn, that most people find challenging and hard to beat even without running a challenge run. I'm much more confident now.

7) I learned to appreciate Type Berries and Type Gems! If not for Coba Berry, I don't think I'd EVER defeated Ciel.

8) I gained a lot of friends who share the same passion as me

There are not many things I have regret doing... Maybe not giving a chance to my Beedrill to shine earlier because of my dislike for that pokemon... I admit I'd change this now. Maybe I'd try to use my Shuckle too...

And I regret not having done this ages ago, when I first thought about it and discarded it as impossible! 

Stuff that came in mind on first thought :) @Revan

Edited by Jess
  • Upvote 1

One thing that I found very interesting in nearly all the updates is your strategy. I really learned the importance of a good strategy, hence why I'm no longer just selecting moves based on bp, but on effectiveness. yes, I used to just always select the attacks that did the most damage...

And you kind of inspired me to do a mono run, so I'll try my hands on that when I finish my current (second) run of Reborn

2 hours ago, HongaarseBeer said:

One thing that I found very interesting in nearly all the updates is your strategy. I really learned the importance of a good strategy, hence why I'm no longer just selecting moves based on bp, but on effectiveness. yes, I used to just always select the attacks that did the most damage...

And you kind of inspired me to do a mono run, so I'll try my hands on that when I finish my current (second) run of Reborn

Thank you! :) 

And it is very flattering that I inspired you to do a mono run! 

But the most important thing, what I wanted to achieve was for everyone to have a good time following my adventures! And I think I succeeded at a reasonably high level! :D 

After seeing this I'll probably keep a vespiquen in my flying mono and great job for completing a run which I thought would be impossible to do. Your strategies were absolutely fantastic and I was surprised you wouldn't soft reset when the battle seemed to be in the hands of your opponent cause I soft reset the moment my opponent deals a critical hit. Good work and thanks for redeeming the name of bug Pokemon cuz I feel the beasts are underrated. in the next update are you planning to use a ribombee and an araquanid cause those are really awesome😀😀

6 minutes ago, rayyan said:

After seeing this I'll probably keep a vespiquen in my flying mono and great job for completing a run which I thought would be impossible to do. Your strategies were absolutely fantastic and I was surprised you wouldn't soft reset when the battle seemed to be in the hands of your opponent cause I soft reset the moment my opponent deals a critical hit. Good work and thanks for redeeming the name of bug Pokemon cuz I feel the beasts are underrated. in the next update are you planning to use a ribombee and an araquanid cause those are really awesome😀😀

Thank you @rayyan for your kind words! I've got two Vespiquens now, lol! A stalling beast (Camaraderie, my new, shiny one) and an attacking one (Royalty, whose Power Gem carried my a$$ off early game, when I had nothing to counter Flying and Fire types)! 

I seriously thought about soft resetting, but was recording it anyways, so I thought I'd record all my failed attempts! But, ever since I started recording, I just won every fight first try somehow! :D 

As for redeeming the Bug types... I used to hate them, now I love them! This on itself is a proof that my run was a success, isn't it? ;) 

Finally, yes, Ribombee is my soul sister and Araquanid is exactly the type of mon I love! Seemingly ugly and aggressive, but kind and with incredible hidden strength! I'd go catch them straight away if Episode 17 was released now.

1 hour ago, Jess said:

But the most important thing, what I wanted to achieve was for everyone to have a good time following my adventures! And I think I succeeded at a reasonably high level! :D 

You most certainly did :) 

2 hours ago, Sceptilespy said:

I'm expecting that Rejuv run soon.

Nah, just kidding, but good job! I thought for sure Charlotte would stomp you.

Thank you very much for the kind words and for following the whole journey! Haha, as soon as everything is in place (especially all those Vivillon sprites <3) I'll get to this... Bug Monotype of Rejuvenation in Intense? Or Reborn-like difficulty? Will be a tough choice, but I might try Intense! xD Mostly cause I'm a masochist.

Also-also (as Julia says), my next Reborn Monotype will be an homage to a certain Pokemon Rejuvenation character (CAN YOU ALL GUESS? Stay silent @Awesome_One :P), and I'm already past the first Gym, so expect updates very soon!

2 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Wow!! Ended with a BANG!!
Great journey bro. And all the best for the next one ;) 

Thanks Satoshi! Even though I'm not actually a "bro" :P! I'm glad you followed the journey and enjoyed it! And I hope the last few chapters didn't disappoint you! I tried my best to fulfill my promises! ;) 

37 minutes ago, Jess said:

Thanks Satoshi! Even though I'm not actually a "bro" :P! I'm glad you followed the journey and enjoyed it! And I hope the last few chapters didn't disappoint you! I tried my best to fulfill my promises! ;) 

Oops, apologies. And ya, I quiet enjoyed those video recordings. :D 

Nooooo why does Arwen keep getting critical-hitted :(

In any case, congratulations! You've now established that it's possible to beat a game (up till now) as hard as Reborn with a type that is often deemed as weak.

The videos were a nice touch, I'm amazed that you're able to post a video and type all the battles out. I can't even get enough time to play the next part xD

I have no idea about Rejuvenation, I've just beat the first gym (although that was ages ago xD), but I'll still follow through.

For a bug mono, it felt like quite a smooth-sailing. Then again, you were doing proper EV training, and i have experienced myself what a huge difference this makes when trying to overcome the major fights. I never skip leg day EV training the moment i gain access to power items. This,  combined with a good battle plan works wonders even against fights previously expected to be near impossible. 

I agree about the asking others "how to beat this fight" . In my opinion these people just dont wanna go through the effort of looking up stuff themselves.

I have played through rejuvenation intense two times so far, with different pokemon each run.  Like always, my first blind run was hell. My second one which was a run where i used weaker pokemon, was almost smooth sailing.  If you are familiar with rejuv, i would suggest intense mode even for a bug mono,  since ...once again Jan nerfed some fights :( 

Same goes for reborn actually. The moment i played Hardcore, i just can't go back to regular reborn since it feels unnecessarily easier.

Edited by DemICE

7 hours ago, Jess said:

Thank you very much for the kind words and for following the whole journey! Haha, as soon as everything is in place (especially all those Vivillon sprites <3) I'll get to this... Bug Monotype of Rejuvenation in Intense? Or Reborn-like difficulty? Will be a tough choice, but I might try Intense! xD Mostly cause I'm a masochist.

Also-also (as Julia says), my next Reborn Monotype will be an homage to a certain Pokemon Rejuvenation character (CAN YOU ALL GUESS? Stay silent @Awesome_One :P), and I'm already past the first Gym, so expect updates very soon!

Honestly. Any difficulty of Rejuv is fine as long as it's not easy. I imagine you should do normal because of Fire Leader, but then again, you'll probably have some strat for that too.

10 hours ago, RedAlert said:

Nooooo why does Arwen keep getting critical-hitted :(

In any case, congratulations! You've now established that it's possible to beat a game (up till now) as hard as Reborn with a type that is often deemed as weak.

The videos were a nice touch, I'm amazed that you're able to post a video and type all the battles out. I can't even get enough time to play the next part xD

I have no idea about Rejuvenation, I've just beat the first gym (although that was ages ago xD), but I'll still follow through.

Poor Arwen :( ... Anyways, thank you!

I'm currently doing a Poison run of Reborn, so stay tuned, I'll post something soon (expect it during the weekend!!!) ;)

Spoiler

Such Hype, much wow, poison running through my veins, I need a Pecha Berry from Berry emporium...

10 hours ago, DemICE said:

For a bug mono, it felt like quite a smooth-sailing. Then again, you were doing proper EV training, and i have experienced myself what a huge difference this makes when trying to overcome the major fights. I never skip leg day EV training the moment i gain access to power items. This,  combined with a good battle plan works wonders even against fights previously expected to be near impossible. 

I agree about the asking others "how to beat this fight" . In my opinion these people just dont wanna go through the effort of looking up stuff themselves.

I have played through rejuvenation intense two times so far, with different pokemon each run.  Like always, my first blind run was hell. My second one which was a run where i used weaker pokemon, was almost smooth sailing.  If you are familiar with rejuv, i would suggest intense mode even for a bug mono,  since ...once again Jan nerfed some fights :( 

Same goes for reborn actually. The moment i played Hardcore, i just can't go back to regular reborn since it feels unnecessarily easier.

Yes, EV training does a big difference. Especially when you have a disadvantage, I'd say it helps you keep your sanity.

I have never played Rejuvenation before, so I'll probably do it in Reborn-like difficulty for the first time... Or see how it goes and go to Luck's Tent xD

I haven't tried Reborn Hardcore, but maybe I should. If I feel casual Reborn gets too easy. It feels much easier than in my first run, for sure, but it is only natural.

14 minutes ago, Sceptilespy said:

Honestly. Any difficulty of Rejuv is fine as long as it's not easy. I imagine you should do normal because of Fire Leader, but then again, you'll probably have some strat for that too.

Perhaps I'll come up with something to defeat that brat! Even if it's a singles fight, so it's much more brute force-oriented than Doubles... 

You're going for poison run in reborn?  I approve, it has so many early options. It is the only monorun i have done so far and it was fun! I had an easier time with my monopoison run than with my original run lol

Y84Frbt.png

Edited by DemICE

10 hours ago, rayyan said:

You should choose normal in rejuv cuz even though Jan nerfed some fights she turned Erick the electric type gym leader hell and even though Amber is nerfed you wouldn't happen to defeat a moltres 😏

Will see :) 

4 hours ago, FactoryofSadness said:

Awesome job! I've been away for a bit, but it's nice to see that the rub went well! I thought you might have gotten stuck with Ciel, but I'm happy to see that wasn't the case!

Hey, thanks! Long time, no see @FactoryofSadness! (It took me about 2 hours to beat Ciel, so... :))

3 hours ago, DemICE said:

You're going for poison run in reborn?  I approve, it has so many early options. It is the only monorun i have done so far and it was fun! I had an easier time with my monopoison run than with my original run lol

Y84Frbt.png

Yes, and many strategies to develop! It is an underrated typing and this is what i like about it.

Also, DAMN, this is quite a squad you have. And I have A LOT of work to do to get there! xD

Yes, my Mono-Bug felt way easier than my original run too! :D 

13 hours ago, Jess said:

I have never played Rejuvenation before, so I'll probably do it in Reborn-like difficulty for the first time... Or see how it goes and go to Luck's Tent xD

Do it!

I just started playing it recently, and I gotta say it's pretty fun :D