Bug Monotype run of Reborn (Latest Defeated Leader: Amaria)

Jess

4 minutes ago, Jess said:

I can confirm that I defeated her in Community release. Now I feel bad, since I kinda abused her triple 4x weakness to Grass, even though I came up with the Razor Leaf thing before actually noticing that she has 3 Water/Grounds.

But when I think of that, if she had her other team I could've abused the Galvantula Discharge, together with Dustox Protect. So, regardless I don't think I'd have too much trouble.

So, she has different teams in singles/doubles AND Zekrom/Reshiram route that got changed between community/public release?! This makes 8 God damn teams in total! xD

Jokes aside, can someone tell me what she had in Community and Public release, for Singles/Doubles in each route? I'd like to know :) 

Also, did Titania's team change too in Public release?

Amaria got herself into a funny situation with her field; it strengthens Electric attacks and the only way to properly protect her team from that is to use Ground Types, which would make her team really weak to Grass. xp
Kingdra wouldn't be weak to either, but weirdly enough she doesn't use it, at least not in Doubles.

Titania's team is still the same (at least on Zekrom route) and her tactic doesn't seem to have changed either.

• Veterans

Her true weakness isn't Grass or Electric types, it's pretty much anything with a water immunity giving ability. Put any of those Pokemon in front of her and she's practically helpless.

1 minute ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

Amaria got herself into a funny situation with her field; it strengthens Electric attacks and the only way to properly protect her team from that is to use Ground Types, which would make her team really weak to Grass. xp
Kingdra wouldn't be weak to either, but weirdly enough she doesn't use it, at least not in Doubles.

Titania's team is still the same (at least on Zekrom route) and her tactic doesn't seem to have changed either.

It's pretty much same as Rejuvenation, where you can easily sweep the Water Gym leader even in Intense mode with Nasty Plotting A-Raichu. Double-edged sword. Why I had both Galvantula AND Leavanny in my team, I didn't know which thing she'd be prepared for.

In general, trying to amp-up Water moves is tricky, because a water arena amplifies electricity too, cause good electric conductor. Now, about Kingdra... God knows. What about having Ludicolo in doubles too? 

I think the Quagsire-Seismitoad-Gastrodon trio was to counter Discharge. But, right now, all you need is a Grass type, as long as you can protect it with something as it does its thing...

1 minute ago, Azeria said:

Her true weakness isn't Grass or Electric types, it's pretty much anything with a water immunity giving ability. Put any of those Pokemon in front of her and she's practically helpless.

Well, not exactly... Seismitoad has Ice Beam and Sludge Bomb too. She has some good coverage moves, but in the case of Shedinja, well, let's say that it's not even considered a Pokemon by such a vast majority of the community, that all you need to do to sweep leaders is bring it on! I bet Ame is gonna do something for it in next release. If we let her know.

• Veterans

And to most Water immune Pokemon, those moves will barely be doing a thing. Cradily curbstomps her, Gastrodon curbstomps her. Ironically both also get Sludge Wave so they can even turn her field advantage against her. Heck back in Alpha, I used Cradily's Sludge Wave in combination with Excadrill to 6-0 her cleanly.

As for Shedinja, I don't really blame Ame for forgetting about it, it's like, never used...but then she put a Nincada egg super early, at a point where Pokemon variety is low. So I imagine more people could be coming to her with it.

11 minutes ago, Azeria said:

And to most Water immune Pokemon, those moves will barely be doing a thing. Cradily curbstomps her, Gastrodon curbstomps her. Ironically both also get Sludge Wave so they can even turn her field advantage against her. Heck back in Alpha, I used Cradily's Sludge Wave in combination with Excadrill to 6-0 her cleanly.

I think we have become too good in this game xD

Every Leader has counters. Having a reply to everything we might bring is as difficult as building a monotype team able to face EVERYTHING the opponents might throw at you in showdown. With the others not playing a monotype too. It's pretty much impossible. And, in general Water type leaders in-game didn't feel tough to me... Regardless of the game. The type is so stall-oriented that doing something other than that feels wrong and is easily countered. That's the case here as well.

I think though, that Ludicolo, Rotom-Wash, possibly Mega-Gyarados or (Mega) Sharpedo, Kingdra and maybe a Carracosta instead of one of all those Water/Ground types would give more coverage. You'd have Grass, Electric, Dark, Dragon, Rock and Ground that way. Her teams are so unversatile and easy to defeat as they are... With the ones I suggest, you'd have to kill them fast, or get swept. Shell Smash, 100% crit, Amnesia Ludicolo, Speed Boost Sharpedo, etc. You can play offensive Water, but not by putting in all the tanky ones... 

• Veterans
2 minutes ago, Jess said:

I think we have become too good in this game xD

Every Leader has counters. Having a reply to everything we might bring is as difficult as building a monotype team able to face EVERYTHING the opponents might throw at you in showdown. With the others not playing a monotype too. It's pretty much impossible. And, in general Water type leaders in-game didn't feel tough to me... Regardless of the game. The type is so stall-oriented that doing something other than that feels wrong and is easily countered. That's the case here as well.

I think though, that Ludicolo, Rotom-Wash, possibly Mega-Gyarados or (Mega) Sharpedo, Kingdra and a Carracosta instead of one of all those Water/Ground types would give more coverage. You'd have Grass, Electric, Dark, Dragon, Rock and Ground that way. Her teams are so unversatile and easy to defeat as they are...

Water is an incredibly versatile type, it's that her team itself is just not using those options properly and ends up being extremely rigid, any change in condition and she falls apart.

Honestly she'd have benefitted so much from a Tentacruel along with Kingdra on her doubles team, as well as Tentacruel on her singles. They're so good on these fields, and Tentacruel can immediately take advantage of Murkwater if it's changed to that.

Just now, Azeria said:

Water is an incredibly versatile type, it's that her team itself is just not using those options properly and ends up being extremely rigid, any change in condition and she falls apart.

Does that not fit her character?

• Veterans
Just now, St0mpa said:

Does that not fit her character?

In a way, yes. At the same time it's incredibly disappointing, seeing as she's been hyped up the entire game as this overwhelming wrecking ball.

Just now, Azeria said:

Yes, my point is that she tries to play full offense Water, with the bulky ones and with very shallow coverage. If she played stall Water with those, that would've gone better.

Throw in Shell Smash Carracosta, Speed Boost Sharpedo, Kingdra with Focus Energy and stuff like that... These, in combination with the speed disadvantage that the arena introduces would've been hell to face.

• Veterans
1 minute ago, Jess said:

Yes, my point is that she tries to play full offense Water, with the bulky ones and with very shallow coverage. If she played stall Water with those, that would've gone better.

Throw in Shell Smash Carracosta, Speed Boost Sharpedo, Kingdra with Focus Energy and stuff like that... These, in combination with the speed disadvantage that the arena introduces would've been hell to face.

Ah. Misread that then.

I would've thought it a cool twist if her choice in Mega Pokemon changed between paths, having her using them in both. But having 'Darker' ones in Mega Gyarados  and Sharpedo on the Reshiram path, while the lighter themed ones in Swampert, Blastoise that she currently uses in the Zekrom path. Just my 2 cents there.

• Like 1

Just now, Azeria said:

This, pretty much.

In Doubles at the very least she heavily relies on those field-boosted double-Surfs. Eliminate any of those components, either by changing the field or always knocking out one of her Pokémon before it can act, and her ability to KO your Pokémon just plummets. Throw in Giga Drain or Horn Leech and your Pokémon becomes basically invincible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Azeria said:

Ah. Misread that then.

I would've thought it a cool twist if her choice in Mega Pokemon changed between paths, having her using them in both. But having 'Darker' ones in Mega Gyarados  and Sharpedo on the Reshiram path, while the lighter themed ones in Swampert, Blastoise that she currently uses in the Zekrom path. Just my 2 cents there.

I like this idea, as an extension of mine! That would've been interesting story-wise too.

3 minutes ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

This, pretty much.

In Doubles at the very least she heavily relies on those field-boosted double-Surfs. Eliminate any of those components, either by changing the field or always knocking out one of her Pokémon before it can act, and her ability to KO your Pokémon just plummets. Throw in Giga Drain or Horn Leech and your Pokémon becomes basically invincible.

I still don't know why she didn't try to OHKO Leavanny with Ice Beam/Sludge Bomb on first turn. My thought is that, unless both enemy Pokemon are resisting Surf, she goes for Surf. The boost combined with the double attack by both her mons should be enough to KO most things. Even Leavanny would've died if it wasn't for Sunny Day. In my case it was Sunny Day that changed things. And the luck that Volbeat survived and confused her entire party.

28 minutes ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

This, pretty much.

Yeah, something like Tentacruel would be a real game-changer for her. Sludge Bomb instead of Sludge Wave so that she doesn't end up hurting her own mons. Liquid Ooze as ability prevents Horn Leech and Dry Skin Heliolisk's Parabolic Charge from recovering HP.

About the Team... in my Grass mono I run Reshiram and had to face her  in singles (I voted twice for doubles, but she seems to do what she wants in this route). It was still Community release, but her team was:

Rotom-W, Ludicolo, Kingdra, Swampert (She didn't use mega), something I forgot from the top of my head and her Lapras.

If the Reborm wiki is correct, she should now have a Wishbuckler instead of the Mon I forgot. At least with a Team full of Grass pretty manageable.

Anyways, well done with with those 2 leaders. Will be interesting to see how you'll handle future leaders (: 

24 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

Yeah, something like Tentacruel would be a real game-changer for her. Sludge Bomb instead of Sludge Wave so that she doesn't end up hurting her own mons. Liquid Ooze as ability prevents Horn Leech and Dry Skin Heliolisk's Parabolic Charge from recovering HP.

So many options and so few used...

14 minutes ago, Neco said:

About the Team... in my Grass mono I run Reshiram and had to face her  in singles (I voted twice for doubles, but she seems to do what she wants in this route). It was still Community release, but her team was:

Rotom-W, Ludicolo, Kingdra, Swampert (She didn't use mega), something I forgot from the top of my head and her Lapras.

If the Reborm wiki is correct, she should now have a Wishbuckler instead of the Mon I forgot. At least with a Team full of Grass pretty manageable.

Anyways, well done with with those 2 leaders. Will be interesting to see how you'll handle future leaders (: 

Thank you! :) 16 down, two to go for the Bugs! And the E4, of course, which will be the true challenge, since I'll have to have only 6 'mons for all 4 of them...

13 minutes ago, Zargerth said:

@Neco Her last mon is Z-Belly Drum Azumarill, or it was when I fought her. Also in that path the battle will be of the format you didn't choose

Yes, she goes full bitch mode in Reshiram Route and always battles you in the one you least like... So, be smart and bluff her! ;) 

Also, Z-Belly Drum Azumarill is scary. That's when a priority Confuse Ray would come in handy! :D Let it kill itself!!!

19 minutes ago, Neco said:

Rotom-W, Ludicolo, Kingdra, Swampert (She didn't use mega), Azumarill and her Lapras

Yeah, that sounds a lot more balanced than her team(s) for Doubles. Only two Pokémon that are weak to both Electric and Grass and two that aren't weak to either one. Still kinda would've expected a Drizzle Pelipper in there somewhere to Hurricane Grass Types and to boost her offense more.

2 minutes ago, Jess said:

Yes, she goes full bitch mode in Reshiram Route and always battles you in the one you least like... So, be smart and bluff her! ;) 

Reverse Psychology, ho!

• Veterans
2 minutes ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

Yeah, that sounds a lot more balanced than her team(s) for Doubles. Only two Pokémon that are weak to both Electric and Grass and two that aren't weak to either one. Still kinda would've expected a Drizzle Pelipper in there somewhere to Hurricane Grass Types and to boost her offense more.

Reverse Psychology, ho!

Her singles team is actually the easier one out of the two lol.

40 minutes ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

Singles does tend to be easier overall since you can easily 1vs1 for weaknesses.

I see a Rotom in that team tho, and we've got bad history.

I hate Rotom-Wash, with a passion.