Reborn: Hard Mode

Ultra

What additional features would you put in Reborn to further frustrate/challenge players?

Ex:

- Giving full EV spreads to Gym Leader pokes

- Expand Gym Leader's held items: Life Orbs, Assault Vest, Weakness Policies galore

- Banning breeding until post game, or move to gen 6 breeding system (No TM pass downs lel)

- Have Fern appear 3 times as often and at more inconvenient locations

etc

There's a difference between being difficult and down right broken.

Well, there's a difference between being broken and being impossible.

This thread is for coming up with cruel modifiers. I think what I've suggested falls the lighter side of the punishment coin, it could be worse.

Well, there's a difference between being broken and being impossible.

This thread is for coming up with cruel modifiers. I think what I've suggested falls the lighter side of the punishment coin, it could be worse.

Alright, well if you want cruel modifiers revert Serra's team to its pre nerf state.

Aya > Flobot >>> Serra

Funnily enough, that's the order in which I found them difficult on my first playthrough of the game too. This was pre nerf Serra and I think I took her out first time with no changing the weather. Aya forced me to go and get a 5th and 6th member of my party just to beat her (I'd previously been running with four) and even then I only just scraped through the gym with a poisoned Typhlosion in the red as my only pokemon.

Pre nerf Serra FTW! For me Florinia was difficult but not so much, Aya was too but i had Gardevoir (pre Fairy type) so GG, Serra was a nightmare i lost to her a billion times and was forced to change the weather to win

I think I´m the only one who thinks pre-nerf Serra was a bullshit battle. Now it´s much more balanced against Rock and Fire types.

Pulse Pokemon shgould be in there form from the beginning and shouldn´t be like Mega Evolutions. You can almost wreck the Pulse.Tangrowth in the Taka and Zel double battle before it even changes form because of this and Gen 3 double battle mechanics. I agree on expanding Gym leader Items.

What additional features would you put in Reborn to further frustrate/challenge players?

Ex:

- Giving full EV spreads to Gym Leader pokes

- Expand Gym Leader's held items: Life Orbs, Assault Vest, Weakness Policies galore

- Banning breeding until post game, or move to gen 6 breeding system (No TM pass downs lel)

- Have Fern appear 3 times as often and at more inconvenient locations

etc

I'm afraid making Fern appear 3 times more isn't an option. There is an inconvenient location (when you battle Victoria outside the slums)

*And then I read that location had an 's' on the end making it pluralized and that's when... devilish plots start to brew.* And don't encourage Ame, she'll make the gyms super hard if you say that...*CHALLENGE ACCEPTED- DEFEAT SUPER TOUGH LEADER!*

Edited by amazingmagicsam

Giving the opponent Pokemon better hold items wouldn't be a problem if the pool of player-accessible hold items and moves were expanded. There seems to be a bit of an obsession with constraining options, which has the dual effect of increasing difficulty and reducing fun.

Giving the opponent Pokemon better hold items wouldn't be a problem if the pool of player-accessible hold items and moves were expanded. There seems to be a bit of an obsession with constraining options, which has the dual effect of increasing difficulty and reducing fun.

I think constraint is good - the gym leaders should always have better hold items since items are always stronger in the hands of the player than in the AI's, but I agree that our options could afford to expand more towards less gimmicky stuff if we give Gym Leaders good shizz.

I think I´m the only one who thinks pre-nerf Serra was a bullshit battle. Now it´s much more balanced against Rock and Fire types.

Yes it was BS, but people should stop crying about it all you literally have to do is get rid of her weather and she was easy. Dont think I would have beat her without vulpix lol. I also agree with giving gym leaders/ rivals ev spreads kinda forcing us to ev train to beat the game seems like a decent challenge lol

Yes it was BS, but people should stop crying about it all you literally have to do is get rid of her weather and she was easy. Dont think I would have beat her without vulpix lol. I also agree with giving gym leaders/ rivals ev spreads kinda forcing us to ev train to beat the game seems like a decent challenge lol

I don't think EV spreads for trainers would force you to EV train. It would give their pokemon an advantage, but it wouldn't be as bad as an egregious BST difference, which you had to deal with earlier in the game (Ex: Your likely pitiful-average pokemon vs Shade's Chandelure, Gengar, and Spiritomb)

• Administrators

The goal isn't to constrain, it's to spread out the availability of things that develop the players team. There's still six more episodes and most teams are fully evolved and are capping out their level-up moves. The good TMs and Items have been saved for the upcoming part of the game that would otherwise be a drought of player development.