Rejuvenation Characters MALE AND FEMALE

Ziggz

I feel the character development of the males in reborn is poor, I enjoyed how the game is predominated with beautiful and powerful female characters as we Rarely see in video games but after playing the game a couple of times its hard not to see a trend of stupid, egotistic basic male characters, I have no problem if thats how y'all chose to make your game lol [no one is being forced to play it] but I wonder why it is so. 

Any thoughts on this ?

Considering this game manages to absolutely demolish the idea of gender roles, I find it hard to believe there's a bias towards men in it. Every character in this game is flawed, and posseses the same amount of traits that you've described (stupid, hard headed and egoistic), which includes the female and non-binary ones. If it wasn't, we wouldn't have characters like Saki, Amber, Venam, Alice or even Melia. They're all stupid.

Also, what do you mean there's no development for the male characters (outside of Crawli and Erick, but they're not that important)? Every single major male character has gone through a fair bit amount of character development, most notably Ren, Adam, Damian, and even Texen! Yes, Rejuv's cast is predominantly female, so I can kinda understand why the male's character development seems to be less important, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, right? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

13 hours ago, Ziggz said:

I feel the character development of the males in rejuvenation is poor, I enjoyed how the game is predominated with beautiful and powerful female characters as we Rarely see in video games but after playing the game a couple of times its hard not to see a trend of stupid, egotistic basic male characters, I have no problem if thats how y'all chose to make your game lol [no one is being forced to play it] but I wonder why it is so. 

Any thoughts on this ?

Kenneth is literally the most fleshed out and interesting character in the whole game. Is a male. 
Ren gets a lot of development and is far from stupid and egotistic. Is a male. 
Zetta has a lot of character development and his roe is clearly not over yet. Is a male (kinda? technically?)

Damien is among the smartest people in the game. Is a male. 

Texen gets his character development is is clearly not done with his arc. Is a male. 
Dylan is a smart person. Is a male. 
Geara is an egotistic, but hardly stupid and basic. Is a male.
Professor Jenner is anything but egotistic and anything but stupid. Is a male. 
Rhyland is a... complex issue? So let's skip that one.

Adam is a literal beefcake. That one is a moron, fair, hardly egotistic though. 

On the other side.

Venam: egotistic flaming absolute moron. 
Amber: egotistic flaming (literally) absolute moron. 
Saki: ultra egotistic absolute moron, despite being a genius. 

Melia: at times extremely egotistic despite not being a moron.

Aelita: not egotistic, but a moron. Likable, but moron. 

Examples of good not a (complete) moron female characters in the game:
Narcissa, Tesla, Valarie before, Nancy, Madame X (i guess). 

My point is, can i get some of what you are smoking? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cyphre said:

Kenneth is literally the most fleshed out and interesting character in the whole game. Is a male. 
Ren gets a lot of development and is far from stupid and egotistic. Is a male. 
Zetta has a lot of character development and his roe is clearly not over yet. Is a male (kinda? technically?)

Damien is among the smartest people in the game. Is a male. 

Texen gets his character development is is clearly not done with his arc. Is a male. 
Dylan is a smart person. Is a male. 
Geara is an egotistic, but hardly stupid and basic. Is a male.
Professor Jenner is anything but egotistic and anything but stupid. Is a male. 
Rhyland is a... complex issue? So let's skip that one.

Adam is a literal beefcake. That one is a moron, fair, hardly egotistic though. 

On the other side.

Venam: egotistic flaming absolute moron. 
Amber: egotistic flaming (literally) absolute moron. 
Saki: ultra egotistic absolute moron, despite being a genius. 

Melia: at times extremely egotistic despite not being a moron.

Aelita: not egotistic, but a moron. Likable, but moron. 

Examples of good not a (complete) moron female characters in the game:
Narcissa, Tesla, Valarie before, Nancy, Madame X (i guess). 

My point is, can i get some of what you are smoking? 

Lol I wish I could send you some, anyway those are just few characters you mentioned from the male side and they do not really showcase as much as average of the female characters, majority of the Male characters where portrayed weirdly in comparison to the females, plus the females you mentioned do not really fit the mold you classify them under 

14 hours ago, Gastronely said:

Considering this game manages to absolutely demolish the idea of gender roles, I find it hard to believe there's a bias towards men in it. Every character in this game is flawed, and posseses the same amount of traits that you've described (stupid, hard headed and egoistic), which includes the female and non-binary ones. If it wasn't, we wouldn't have characters like Saki, Amber, Venam, Alice or even Melia. They're all stupid.

Also, what do you mean there's no development for the male characters (outside of Crawli and Erick, but they're not that important)? Every single major male character has gone through a fair bit amount of character development, most notably Ren, Adam, Damian, and even Texen! Yes, Rejuv's cast is predominantly female, so I can kinda understand why the male's character development seems to be less important, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, right? 

I understand you. I don't feel theres anything wrong with it being predominantly female just making observation and sharing thoughts

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ziggz said:

Lol I wish I could send you some, anyway those are just few characters you mentioned from the male side and they do not really showcase as much as average of the female characters, majority of the Male characters where portrayed weirdly in comparison to the females, plus the females you mentioned do not really fit the mold you classify them under 

What other male characters important to the plot/a major sidequest are there really? Well, we have:
- Vitus/Indriad, he is the main villain behind the scenes, a pretty mysterious character that got a lot of development from different angles (The Manor with Marianette, as a decent enough person in the past and then as a cultist 

Spoiler

and then in V13 during the Diamond Route where we found out how he perceives Servants (like Kanon). 

It's definitely not the last time we see him for sure. And, he is definitely not stupid even though he's got a lot of negative traits (he is a villain after all)
- Kanon, who got a lot of fleshing out in V13 and is still shaping up into an intresting and original character, he might act dumb sometimes, but he's the last character I'd call egoistical (at least in his true Servant persona)
- Kieran, we know almost nothing about him, except that he's 

Spoiler

an android version of Jean (I hope I wrote his name right) from an alternate world. 

He is a villain, so it's obvious that he's an egoistical and overall negative character (even though sometimes, at least for me, he's a little bit of a comic relief character, call me a weirdo all you like), but he's nothing but smart and sly. And 

Spoiler

considering the Bad Ending we might learn a lot more about him. And of course Rejuv's still got a few chapters 'till the end, so we'll see him again for sure.

I think that there are great male characters in Rejuv and I myself love Rejuv and it's my favourite Poke Fangame right after Deso. But everyone's allowed to have their own opinions and if you don't like how the characters are split, then that's fine for me. 

Edited by Saroyan
  • Like 2

This is all a matter of perspective. Terms like "well developed characters" and "basic characters" are defined differently by different people. And different people hold different expectations for what a well developed character has to do in a story. I personally think that the characters that show growth, change and learning are very well written. In addition to that, we as players/consumers of media should be given information that arouses emotions within us when we think about certain characters. Think about Texen, he is not important to the plot at all, (as far as I know) but when we interact with him the first time, we feel so angry at him for destroying Aleita's home and destroying Kenneth's memory. And when we interact with him the second time, we learn why he behaves the way he does, he wanted to be a person of his own making and not e remembered by the accomplishments of his sisters (Risa and Zumi). This makes Texen, in my opinion, a well developed character.

And I personally believe that Rejuv is filled with numerous well written characters both male and female. But I find the characters well written according to my own opinions and beliefs. Other people might think differently, and that is fine. To conclude, I would like to thank you @Ziggz for starting this discussion and giving me an opportunity to share my opinion. However, I would love to know your opinion on how these male characters that you think are basic, can be improved upon?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leenu said:

This is all a matter of perspective. Terms like "well developed characters" and "basic characters" are defined differently by different people. And different people hold different expectations for what a well developed character has to do in a story. I personally think that the characters that show growth, change and learning are very well written. In addition to that, we as players/consumers of media should be given information that arouses emotions within us when we think about certain characters. Think about Texen, he is not important to the plot at all, (as far as I know) but when we interact with him the first time, we feel so angry at him for destroying Aleita's home and destroying Kenneth's memory. And when we interact with him the second time, we learn why he behaves the way he does, he wanted to be a person of his own making and not e remembered by the accomplishments of his sisters (Risa and Zumi). This makes Texen, in my opinion, a well developed character.

And I personally believe that Rejuv is filled with numerous well written characters both male and female. But I find the characters well written according to my own opinions and beliefs. Other people might think differently, and that is fine. To conclude, I would like to thank you @Ziggz for starting this discussion and giving me an opportunity to share my opinion. However, I would love to know your opinion on how these male characters that you think are basic, can be improved upon?

To be honest I feel I was a bit harsh in my description, upon playing v13 again and reading through this discussion I began to feel otherwise.

• Like 2

Just now, Ziggz said:

To be honest I feel I was a bit harsh in my description, upon playing v13 again and reading through this discussion I began to feel otherwise.

Yeah V13 was by far the best update for Rejuv, Jan and co really stepped up their game and delivered a masterpiece. The writing and the level of complexity in the story is something a Triple A studio would do. This is what happens when people put passion above deadlines. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Leenu said:

Yeah V13 was by far the best update for Rejuv, Jan and co really stepped up their game and delivered a masterpiece. The writing and the level of complexity in the story is something a Triple A studio would do. This is what happens when people put passion above deadlines. 

The writing is amazing Cairo is a cool character too speaking of male characters 

• Like 2